Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting them chiles by

Chopped and froze sweet chiles yesterday and then vac sealed them today.
Ended up with 4 quart bags and three pint bags going back in the
freezer. Let me tell you about the Gypsy chiles we are growing this
year. They are a "frying" pepper which means they thick walled but not
as big as the common bell pepper. We like them grilled at the time we
grill steak or pork chops or any meat. The skin is thin and comes right
off when cooked and they are delicious grilled, fried, or eaten fresh.
Plus they are mighty prolific and easy to grow. they are a yellow chile
that ripens to a nice rosy red if left to go that far. I generally pick
them when they are about half and half. The other sweet chile we
generally grow is "Big Bertha" and they are very large green, ripen to
red, bell peppers, not as prolific as Gypsy but still a good one to grow.

Tomorrow is the local farmer's market and we are taking: about 20
bromeliads, grown from pups on the mother plants; about 10 aloe vera
pups, also grown from pups. A few staghorn ferns, pupped off the big
plant growing on the oak tree in back. About 15 or so baby Ponderosa
lemon trees, grown from seed from out tree. Yes, they do grow true to
the plant and I have harvested single lemons that weigh in excess of a
kilo (2.2 lbs). If frozen back in our Zone 9b climate they come back
from the roots so I like them for that.

Otherwise it's been a fairly decent week, about 6 pints of fig jam put
up and the fight continues with the grackles for the figs. I called a
friend today to see if his much larger tree is producing and he is also
fighting the grackles. Oh well, birds gotta eat too.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Otherwise it's been a fairly decent week, about 6 pints of fig jam put
> up and the fight continues with the grackles for the figs. I called a
> friend today to see if his much larger tree is producing and he is also
> fighting the grackles. Oh well, birds gotta eat too.
>
> George

Yeah, but let 'em eat cake, not figs fer cripes sake.

gloria p
who LOVES fresh figs

chiles Carrie Melle Mexican Cooking 6 20-04-2005 09:29 PM
Baked Chiles Rellenos (Stuffed Chiles) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 21-10-2003 01:55 PM
Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown Rice) MrFalafel Vegan 8 10-10-2003 12:26 AM