Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Mint

I have a glut of garden mint at the moment. How do I preserve it ? . Can I
make mint sauce & freeze it? Can I freeze the leaves ?. NB I'd love to make
mint jelly but have to avoid sugar .

Thanks

KK

Posted to rec.food.preserving

KK wrote:
> I have a glut of garden mint at the moment. How do I preserve it ? . Can I
> make mint sauce & freeze it? Can I freeze the leaves ?. NB I'd love to make
> mint jelly but have to avoid sugar .
>
> Thanks
>
> KK

Look for one of the no sugar needed pectins ( that is the Bernardin
brand name in Canada, but I understand that there is one in the U.S.
You can use no sugar and some artificial sweetener if you wish.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

KK wrote:

> I have a glut of garden mint at the moment. How do I preserve it ? . Can I
> make mint sauce & freeze it? Can I freeze the leaves ?. NB I'd love to make
> mint jelly but have to avoid sugar .

While you're deciding what to do with it, you can chop the leaves with a
bit of water and freeze in an ice cube tray. Bag the cubes and you'll
have them when you want them.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

KK wrote:
> I have a glut of garden mint at the moment. How do I preserve it ? . Can I
> make mint sauce & freeze it? Can I freeze the leaves ?. NB I'd love to make
> mint jelly but have to avoid sugar .
>
> Thanks
>
> KK

Don't know about the sauce but you can freeze the leaves. I have done it
by putting them on a bun pan and freezing, then cutting into chunks with
a pizza cutter and bagged them. I also keep a supply of dehydrated mint
leaves on hand for making mint tea during the cold/flu seasons.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> KK wrote:
>> I have a glut of garden mint at the moment. How do I preserve it ? .
>> Can I
>> make mint sauce & freeze it? Can I freeze the leaves ?. NB I'd love to
>> make
>> mint jelly but have to avoid sugar .
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> KK
>>

> Don't know about the sauce but you can freeze the leaves. I have done it
> by putting them on a bun pan and freezing, then cutting into chunks with
> a pizza cutter and bagged them. I also keep a supply of dehydrated mint
> leaves on hand for making mint tea during the cold/flu seasons.
>
> George

Don't they turn black when you freeze them?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Puester wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> KK wrote:
>>
>>> I have a glut of garden mint at the moment. How do I preserve it ? .
>>> Can I
>>> make mint sauce & freeze it? Can I freeze the leaves ?. NB I'd love
>>> to make
>>> mint jelly but have to avoid sugar .
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> KK
>>>

>> Don't know about the sauce but you can freeze the leaves. I have done
>> it by putting them on a bun pan and freezing, then cutting into chunks
>> with a pizza cutter and bagged them. I also keep a supply of
>> dehydrated mint leaves on hand for making mint tea during the cold/flu
>> seasons.
>>
>> George
>>

> Don't they turn black when you freeze them?
>
> gloria p

Don't really remember as it has been years since I did it that way. We
don't care for mint sauces and mint jelly is easier to make with fresh
leaves. May have turned black but nothing else does when I freeze it in
the big freezer at -20F.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Don't know about the sauce but you can freeze the leaves. I have done
>>> it by putting them on a bun pan and freezing, then cutting into
>>> chunks with a pizza cutter and bagged them. I also keep a supply of
>>> dehydrated mint leaves on hand for making mint tea during the
>>> cold/flu seasons.
>>>
>>> George
>>>

>> Don't they turn black when you freeze them?
>>
>> gloria p

> Don't really remember as it has been years since I did it that way. We
> don't care for mint sauces and mint jelly is easier to make with fresh
> leaves. May have turned black but nothing else does when I freeze it in
> the big freezer at -20F.
>
> George

I bought a bunch of dried mint from Penzey's a few years ago haven't
used it all up yet. (I thought Wife would use it for making tea) I use
the mint in salsa, and for adjusting the seasoning in anything I cook
that tastes like it needs more bayleaf. I learned that from Justin
Wilson, I think.

Anyway, I think I'd pick long stems of mint -- they get long when it's
about to bloom -- and hang them upside down in the garage to dry.

Bob

Mint Andy[_2_] General Cooking 46 04-06-2007 03:15 PM
Mint-Truffle Ice Cream Terrine With Mint And Chocolate Sauces yankeegrL425 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-10-2005 05:16 AM
MINT-TRUFFLE ICE CREAM TERRINE WITH MINT AND CHOCOLATE SAUCES yankeegrL425 Recipes 0 28-09-2005 03:14 AM
mint elaine General Cooking 1 30-09-2004 03:21 AM
Mint tea Ripon Tea 8 07-12-2003 05:58 AM