John Decker

Default Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears?

Question:

I just shelled some fresh cream peas and vacuum sealed them in a plastic bag and
placed them in the refrigerator and noticed that after a day the vacuum sealed
bags no long contained a vacuum. What has happened? What can I do to prevent
vacuum sealed fresh cream peas from nullifying the vacuum in a sealed plastic
bag. I presume that some type of gas was formed by the peas that destroyed the
vacuum? I do not want to blanch the peas, I prefer them fresh in a vacuum sealed
bag stored in the refrigerator (not freezer) for about a 4 days before I consume
them. In other words, how do I prevent the vacuum in a sealed plastic bag from
being destroyed by the cream peas in the refrigerator?

John Decker

George Shirley

John Decker wrote:
> Question:
>
> I just shelled some fresh cream peas and vacuum sealed them in a plastic bag and
> placed them in the refrigerator and noticed that after a day the vacuum sealed
> bags no long contained a vacuum. What has happened? What can I do to prevent
> vacuum sealed fresh cream peas from nullifying the vacuum in a sealed plastic
> bag. I presume that some type of gas was formed by the peas that destroyed the
> vacuum? I do not want to blanch the peas, I prefer them fresh in a vacuum sealed
> bag stored in the refrigerator (not freezer) for about a 4 days before I consume
> them. In other words, how do I prevent the vacuum in a sealed plastic bag from
> being destroyed by the cream peas in the refrigerator?
>

> John Decker

As the peas chilled down they shrunk into a smaller size thus causing
the bag to loosen up or, as an alternative theory, your bag has a pin
hole leak in one of the seams. That happens fairly frequently.

George

qahtan

But the peas stay sweeter fresher longer if kept in the pods until needed.
Better still if you can cook them A S A P after harvest.
4 day's is a long time to store them like that. qahtan

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> John Decker wrote:
> > Question:
> >
> > I just shelled some fresh cream peas and vacuum sealed them in a plastic

bag and
> > placed them in the refrigerator and noticed that after a day the vacuum

sealed
> > bags no long contained a vacuum. What has happened? What can I do to

prevent
> > vacuum sealed fresh cream peas from nullifying the vacuum in a sealed

plastic
> > bag. I presume that some type of gas was formed by the peas that

destroyed the
> > vacuum? I do not want to blanch the peas, I prefer them fresh in a

vacuum sealed
> > bag stored in the refrigerator (not freezer) for about a 4 days before I

consume
> > them. In other words, how do I prevent the vacuum in a sealed plastic

bag from
> > being destroyed by the cream peas in the refrigerator?
> >

> > John Decker
> >

> As the peas chilled down they shrunk into a smaller size thus causing
> the bag to loosen up or, as an alternative theory, your bag has a pin
> hole leak in one of the seams. That happens fairly frequently.
>
> George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, John Decker
> wrote:

> Question:
>
> I just shelled some fresh cream peas and vacuum sealed them in a
> plastic bag and placed them in the refrigerator and noticed that
> after a day the vacuum sealed bags no long contained a vacuum. What
> has happened? What can I do to prevent vacuum sealed fresh cream
> peas from nullifying the vacuum in a sealed plastic bag. I presume
> that some type of gas was formed by the peas that destroyed the
> vacuum? I do not want to blanch the peas, I prefer them fresh in a
> vacuum sealed bag stored in the refrigerator (not freezer) for about
> a 4 days before I consume them. In other words, how do I prevent the
> vacuum in a sealed plastic bag from being destroyed by the cream peas
> in the refrigerator?
>

> John Decker

Raw peas, John? I wouldn't bother with anything other than a container
and lid. Glass jars are my favorite storage containers.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.