Christine

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

We have a glass topped range, so the extension office says I shouldn't use
it for my water bath canners. So I purchased a type of outside cook
stove/burner that runs off propane which is (again according to the
extension office) a good choice. Last year my girlfriends were teasing me
suggesting I just try the 'inversion method' listed in the sure-jell pectin
recipes.

Two weeks ago I made several batches of strawberry jam. Rather than haul my
jams outside to boil them in the driveway, I admit I was lazy and decided to
try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin recipe. Well, ten days
later I found little bits of mold in the headspace of twelve jars of
low-sugar strawberry jam. The jars and lids were sterilized, the jam was
boiled properly, and all the jars were sealed correctly. Three days before
I found the moldy jam, I had made more strawberry jam, using the inversion
method which seemed fine, but again it was only 3 days old. The spots of
mold were only on the surface, and most of them were little bits less than
1/4 inch in size.

I now realize that:

1. The inversion method stinks
2. Low sugar and the inversion method is an especially bad combination.

I promise to never do it again, so please be kind in your responses.

The problem is this--there were 24 jars of perfect jam without mold--most of
which was only 3 days old. They were sealed and had no signs of trouble
when opened. I emptied them into a stock pot in batches of 8 cups, added
some pectin and reboiled and then processed in a water bath (for 15 minutes
instead of the suggested 10). At the risk of the food police breaking into
my pantry and running off with my jams, how bad of an idea was this? Is
this safe?

If I emptied out the top half of the moldy jam (it was only 10 days old) and
reboiled and processed the bottom half of the jam, is having that on an
English muffin considered living on the edge?

I know people used to scrape off and eat moldy jam, but the extension office
recommended I throw away every jar--even the ones with no signs of trouble,
and even the three day old jam--just to be 'safe.' Of course, she also
sounded like the type that actually sterilized her children's binkies so I
am not sure what to think.

Can I get your thoughts?

Thank you so much, and, as God as my witness, I will never inversion again!

Christine

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Christine"
> wrote:

> We have a glass topped range, so the extension office says I
> shouldn't use it for my water bath canners. So I purchased a type of
> outside cook stove/burner that runs off propane which is (again
> according to the extension office) a good choice. Last year my
> girlfriends were teasing me suggesting I just try the 'inversion
> method' listed in the sure-jell pectin recipes.
>
> Two weeks ago I made several batches of strawberry jam. Rather than
> haul my jams outside to boil them in the driveway, I admit I was lazy
> and decided to try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin
> recipe. Well, ten days later I found little bits of mold in the
> headspace of twelve jars of low-sugar strawberry jam. The jars and
> lids were sterilized, the jam was boiled properly, and all the jars
> were sealed correctly. Three days before I found the moldy jam, I
> had made more strawberry jam, using the inversion method which seemed
> fine, but again it was only 3 days old. The spots of mold were only
> on the surface, and most of them were little bits less than 1/4 inch
> in size.
>
> I now realize that:
>
> 1. The inversion method stinks
>2. Low sugar and the inversion method is an especially bad
>combination.

> I promise to never do it again, so please be kind in your responses.

We're always kind. :-) Sometimes we shake our heads in the privacy of
our own homes, but we're always kind. "-)

Out of curiosity I checked the SJ web site -- in their full instructions
there, they use a boiling water bath to process the jams after sealing.
The inversion method for sealing is mentioned in a separate link and
clearly as an aside. Are they still recommending the inversion method
as a first choice on paper?

Bigger hmmmmmm: These are their instructions for jar prep:
"BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars
and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling
water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water
until ready to use. Drain well before filling. "

What we preach here is that any jar that's not going to be either
waterbath or pressure processed for at least 10 minutes needs to have
been subjected to a 10-minute boiling water sterilization before filling.

I hope you'll ring them up and tell them of your experience.

> The problem is this--there were 24 jars of perfect jam without
> mold--most of which was only 3 days old. They were sealed and had no
> signs of trouble when opened. I emptied them into a stock pot in
> batches of 8 cups, added some pectin and reboiled and then processed
> in a water bath (for 15 minutes instead of the suggested 10). At the
> risk of the food police breaking into my pantry and running off with
> my jams, how bad of an idea was this?

It's not the worse idea I've ever heard. :-)

Is this safe?

Most likely. I think the official remake instructions involve the
addition of some sugar with the pectin, though.

> If I emptied out the top half of the moldy jam (it was only 10 days
> old) and reboiled and processed the bottom half of the jam, is having
> that on an English muffin considered living on the edge?

Officially? Probably. Practically? Probably not but I'd probably
chuck it if I'd had any thought of giving it as a gift. Keeping it
refrigerated would be a must, though. And I wouldn't be giving it as a
gift.

> I know people used to scrape off and eat moldy jam, but the extension
> office recommended I throw away every jar--even the ones with no
> signs of trouble, and even the three day old jam--just to be 'safe.'
> Of course, she also sounded like the type that actually sterilized
> her children's binkies so I am not sure what to think.

She's erring on the side of safety and the doctrine of CYA so that if
you get sick and die and from your hospital bed announce that "I checked
with the University's extension office and they said it was ok" your
survivors won't sue for the big bucks.

> Can I get your thoughts?

Well, sure. That's why we're here.

You've done me a public service with your post Christine. Last
Wednesday I posted a one-liner with the the subject line: I took a
preserving class last night. I didn't go into any details then. I'll
go into some now.

The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint jars
lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with lids in it
on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later, when she was ready
to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that long to do, let me hasten
to add; she spent an hour talking about other stuff before she got to
cooking), she emptied the water from each and dried the inside with a
dish towel. And she filled the jars and sealed them and used the
inversion method because "this is what Certo recommends." She mentioned
the USDA's recommended method for water bath processing but said that
that's hot, takes more time, and this is easier.

OK. One can hardly argue that the inversion is not a simpler thing to
do at the outset -- but look at what it got YOU: Mold in your product,
anxiety and angst, and a re-do that will probably render your jam safe
for your consumption.

None of which you'd have if the jars had been processed properly in the
first place. Which method ends up to have taken more of your time?

I've never thought the argument about waterbath processing being so hot
held a lot of water -- certainly not for processing sweet spreads. If
the pot's already been boiling for 10 minutes, what's another 5 or 10
minutes with filled jars?

> Thank you so much, and, as God as my witness, I will never inversion
> again!
> Christine

O My Child, go in peace and sin no more. I'll put in a good word with
the Father Inquisitor and Saint Vinaigrette.
-Barb
Mother Superior, Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of
Jella
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

zxcvbob

Christine wrote:
> We have a glass topped range, so the extension office says I shouldn't use
> it for my water bath canners. So I purchased a type of outside cook
> stove/burner that runs off propane which is (again according to the
> extension office) a good choice. Last year my girlfriends were teasing me
> suggesting I just try the 'inversion method' listed in the sure-jell pectin
> recipes.
>
> Two weeks ago I made several batches of strawberry jam. Rather than haul my
> jams outside to boil them in the driveway, I admit I was lazy and decided to
> try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin recipe. Well, ten days
> later I found little bits of mold in the headspace of twelve jars of
> low-sugar strawberry jam. The jars and lids were sterilized, the jam was
> boiled properly, and all the jars were sealed correctly. Three days before
> I found the moldy jam, I had made more strawberry jam, using the inversion
> method which seemed fine, but again it was only 3 days old. The spots of
> mold were only on the surface, and most of them were little bits less than
> 1/4 inch in size.
>
> I now realize that:
>
> 1. The inversion method stinks
> 2. Low sugar and the inversion method is an especially bad combination.
>
> I promise to never do it again, so please be kind in your responses.
>
> The problem is this--there were 24 jars of perfect jam without mold--most of
> which was only 3 days old. They were sealed and had no signs of trouble
> when opened. I emptied them into a stock pot in batches of 8 cups, added
> some pectin and reboiled and then processed in a water bath (for 15 minutes
> instead of the suggested 10). At the risk of the food police breaking into
> my pantry and running off with my jams, how bad of an idea was this? Is
> this safe?
>
> If I emptied out the top half of the moldy jam (it was only 10 days old) and
> reboiled and processed the bottom half of the jam, is having that on an
> English muffin considered living on the edge?
>
> I know people used to scrape off and eat moldy jam, but the extension office
> recommended I throw away every jar--even the ones with no signs of trouble,
> and even the three day old jam--just to be 'safe.' Of course, she also
> sounded like the type that actually sterilized her children's binkies so I
> am not sure what to think.
>
> Can I get your thoughts?
>
> Thank you so much, and, as God as my witness, I will never inversion again!
>
> Christine

Of course you should throw it out because:
1) it doesn't cost *me* anything to say that
2) it covers *my* ass if you eat it anyway and get sick
3) it's more likely you will remember your lesson that way
4) I get to chirp "When in doubt, throw it out!"

Now that's out of the way, I personally would carefully scrape the top
half-inch out of all the perfect jars and throw it out. Then dump the
jars in a kettle and boil the jam again. The refill hot jars, and
process as usual.

The jars with a little mold, I don't know if I would throw them out, or
scrape the top inch out, reboil, and pour the boiling jam into a quart
jar and stick it in the fridge to be used first and make sure it doesn't
accidently get given away as a gift. I know that's what I would do with
full-sugar jam. You'll have to use your judgement for the low-sugar stuff.

I gotta get to work; I'll have more comments later about the stove.

Best regards,
Bob
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> [...]

> 2) it covers *my* ass if you eat it anyway and get sick
> 3) it's more likely you will remember your lesson that way
> 4) I get to chirp "When in doubt, throw it out!"
>
> Now that's out of the way, I personally would carefully scrape the top
> half-inch out of all the perfect jars and throw it out. Then dump the
> jars in a kettle and boil the jam again. The refill hot jars, and
> process as usual.
>
> The jars with a little mold, I don't know if I would throw them out, or
> scrape the top inch out, reboil, and pour the boiling jam into a quart
> jar and stick it in the fridge to be used first and make sure it doesn't
> accidently get given away as a gift. I know that's what I would do with
> full-sugar jam. You'll have to use your judgement for the low-sugar stuff.
>
> I gotta get to work; I'll have more comments later about the stove.

Wait a minnit! Your post is time stamped 8:34 am and you haven't gone to
work yet, what are you, a banker? By 8:34 CDST I had gone to work,
stopped by Mickey Dee's and ate breakfast with the ROMEO's (Retired Old
Men Eating Out) and had gone home and had a short nap. Boy, you must
have a nice job, no wonder you have time to can stuff. <BSEG>

George

Christine

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

<snip>
> Out of curiosity I checked the SJ web site -- in their full instructions
> there, they use a boiling water bath to process the jams after sealing.
> The inversion method for sealing is mentioned in a separate link and
> clearly as an aside. Are they still recommending the inversion method
> as a first choice on paper?

No, it's not the first choice, but it's listed below as a second option--and
that was in the low-sugar package.

<snip>
> I hope you'll ring them up and tell them of your experience.

Oh yes! This crisis cost me an emergency trip to the store for more pectin,
lids, and propane--as well as another six hours in the kitchen reprocessing.
I had made about 28 cups of raspberry jam the day before using the inversion
method and those were reprocessed as well. The extension office said those
would be safe if reprocessed as they were less than 24 hours old.

<snip>
> OK. One can hardly argue that the inversion is not a simpler thing to
> do at the outset -- but look at what it got YOU: Mold in your product,
> anxiety and angst, and a re-do that will probably render your jam safe
> for your consumption.
>
> None of which you'd have if the jars had been processed properly in the
> first place. Which method ends up to have taken more of your time?

Well, I will return to processing my jams in a WB in the future. I was glad
I found the mold right away--I'd have been really ticked if I discovered the
icky jam in the fall when it would have been completely ruined.

> I've never thought the argument about waterbath processing being so hot
> held a lot of water -- certainly not for processing sweet spreads. If
> the pot's already been boiling for 10 minutes, what's another 5 or 10
> minutes with filled jars?

Well, my strawberry jam was *perfect* when I used the inversion method. It
did loose a little flavor once reprocessed, but after all that secondary
cooking I'd expect it to. The raspberry was just as wonderful after the
second processing, so I don't think the waterbath processing negatively
affected my jams.

The red pepper jelly sounds wonderful. What do you use it for? I can see
it poured over a small block of cream cheese and used as a dip.

Christine

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Christine"
> wrote:

> >"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> No, it's not the first choice, but it's listed below as a second
> option--and that was in the low-sugar package.

Gotcha.

> <snip>
> > I hope you'll ring them up and tell them of your experience.

> Oh yes! This crisis cost me an emergency trip to the store for more
> pectin, lids, and propane--as well as another six hours in the
> kitchen reprocessing. I had made about 28 cups of raspberry jam the
> day before using the inversion method and those were reprocessed as
> well. The extension office said those would be safe if reprocessed
> as they were less than 24 hours old.

Oy! PITA.

> <snip>
> > OK. One can hardly argue that the inversion is not a simpler thing
> > to do at the outset -- but look at what it got YOU: Mold in your
> > product, anxiety and angst, and a re-do that will probably render
> > your jam safe for your consumption.
> >
> > None of which you'd have if the jars had been processed properly in
> > the first place. Which method ends up to have taken more of your
> > time?

> Well, I will return to processing my jams in a WB in the future. I
> was glad I found the mold right away--I'd have been really ticked if
> I discovered the icky jam in the fall when it would have been
> completely ruined.

No kidding!

BTW, I wasn't directing the "which method ends up taking more time"
thing to you, specifically. The generic 'you' was in play.

> Well, my strawberry jam was *perfect* when I used the inversion
> method. It did loose a little flavor once reprocessed, but after all
> that secondary cooking I'd expect it to. The raspberry was just as
> wonderful after the second processing, so I don't think the waterbath
> processing negatively affected my jams.

Good news!

> The red pepper jelly sounds wonderful. What do you use it for? I
> can see it poured over a small block of cream cheese and used as a
> dip.

> Christine

That's its common use. Some use it to glaze grilled chicken, too.

Here's the recipe I use:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Apricot-Red Pepper Jelly

Recipe By: Sunset Canning Book, p 54
Serving Size: 72
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 package (about 6 oz.) dried apricots, chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup seeded, chopped fresh red Fresno chiles or
red (or green) jalapeño chiles (4-6
medium-size chiles)
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 box powdered pectin (1.75 or 2 ounce)
6 cups sugar

In a blender or food processor, chop apricots, peppers, and 1-3/4 cups
of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely ground. Pour into
a heavy-bottomed 8- to 10-quart pan. Rinse food processor/blender with
the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar; pour into pan. Stir
in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring
constantly. Quickly add sugar, still stirring. Return to a full
rolling boil; then boil, stirring for 1 minute. (If using a 2-oz. box
of pectin, boil for 2 minutes.) Remove from heat and skim off any foam.

Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch
headspace. Wipe rims and threads clean; top with hot lids, then firmly
screw on bands. Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes.

Or omit processing and ladle jelly into freezer jars or freezer
containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; apply lids. Let stand for 12 to
24 hours at room temperature; freeze or refrigerate.

Makes about 6 half-pints. (More like 9)
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: First Prize at the State Fair, 1993 & 1998; second in 1995 &
'96.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

George Shirley

Christine wrote:
>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> <snip>
>
>>Out of curiosity I checked the SJ web site -- in their full instructions
>>there, they use a boiling water bath to process the jams after sealing.
>>The inversion method for sealing is mentioned in a separate link and
>>clearly as an aside. Are they still recommending the inversion method
>>as a first choice on paper?

> No, it's not the first choice, but it's listed below as a second option--and
> that was in the low-sugar package.
>
> <snip>
>
>>I hope you'll ring them up and tell them of your experience.

> Oh yes! This crisis cost me an emergency trip to the store for more pectin,
> lids, and propane--as well as another six hours in the kitchen reprocessing.
> I had made about 28 cups of raspberry jam the day before using the inversion
> method and those were reprocessed as well. The extension office said those
> would be safe if reprocessed as they were less than 24 hours old.
>
> <snip>
>
>>OK. One can hardly argue that the inversion is not a simpler thing to
>>do at the outset -- but look at what it got YOU: Mold in your product,
>>anxiety and angst, and a re-do that will probably render your jam safe
>>for your consumption.
>>
>>None of which you'd have if the jars had been processed properly in the
>>first place. Which method ends up to have taken more of your time?

> Well, I will return to processing my jams in a WB in the future. I was glad
> I found the mold right away--I'd have been really ticked if I discovered the
> icky jam in the fall when it would have been completely ruined.
>

>>I've never thought the argument about waterbath processing being so hot
>>held a lot of water -- certainly not for processing sweet spreads. If
>>the pot's already been boiling for 10 minutes, what's another 5 or 10
>>minutes with filled jars?

> Well, my strawberry jam was *perfect* when I used the inversion method. It
> did loose a little flavor once reprocessed, but after all that secondary
> cooking I'd expect it to. The raspberry was just as wonderful after the
> second processing, so I don't think the waterbath processing negatively
> affected my jams.
>
> The red pepper jelly sounds wonderful. What do you use it for? I can see
> it poured over a small block of cream cheese and used as a dip.
>
> Christine

Pepper jellies, mild or hot, are excellent on pork, either as a glaze
during cooking or with the cooked pork. I've also used it on chicken but
didn't like it on beef. The cream cheese dip is an old idea that works
well too. I've got some half pints in the pantry that I put up last year
that are almost too hot to eat for us old fogies.

George

Pennyaline

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:

<big snip>

> The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
> liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint jars
> lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with lids in it
> on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later, when she was ready
> to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that long to do, let me hasten
> to add; she spent an hour talking about other stuff before she got to
> cooking), she emptied the water from each and dried the inside with a
> dish towel. And she filled the jars and sealed them and used the
> inversion method because "this is what Certo recommends." She mentioned
> the USDA's recommended method for water bath processing but said that
> that's hot, takes more time, and this is easier.

For real?? I don't know of any manufacturer of canning products that
actually *recommends* inversion. Everything I've read since parafin went out
of fashion states that the water bath is the only way to go for jellies and
jams that are going to be stored.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Pennyaline"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>
> > The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
> > liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint
> > jars lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with
> > lids in it on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later,
> > when she was ready to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that
> > long to do, let me hasten to add; she spent an hour talking about
> > other stuff before she got to cooking), she emptied the water from
> > each and dried the inside with a dish towel. And she filled the
> > jars and sealed them and used the inversion method because "this is
> > what Certo recommends." She mentioned the USDA's recommended
> > method for water bath processing but said that that's hot, takes
> > more time, and this is easier.

> For real?? I don't know of any manufacturer of canning products that
> actually *recommends* inversion. Everything I've read since parafin
> went out of fashion states that the water bath is the only way to go
> for jellies and jams that are going to be stored.

See why it should be ME teaching the class next time?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Christine

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here's the recipe I use:

> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Apricot-Red Pepper Jelly
>
> Recipe By: Sunset Canning Book, p 54
> Serving Size: 72
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 1 package (about 6 oz.) dried apricots, chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
> 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
> 1/4 cup seeded, chopped fresh red Fresno chiles or
> red (or green) jalapeño chiles (4-6
> medium-size chiles)
> 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
> 1 1/2 cups water
> 1 box powdered pectin (1.75 or 2 ounce)
> 6 cups sugar
>
> In a blender or food processor, chop apricots, peppers, and 1-3/4 cups
> of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely ground. Pour into
> a heavy-bottomed 8- to 10-quart pan. Rinse food processor/blender with
> the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar; pour into pan. Stir
> in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring
> constantly. Quickly add sugar, still stirring. Return to a full
> rolling boil; then boil, stirring for 1 minute. (If using a 2-oz. box
> of pectin, boil for 2 minutes.) Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
>
> Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch
> headspace. Wipe rims and threads clean; top with hot lids, then firmly
> screw on bands. Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes.
>
> Or omit processing and ladle jelly into freezer jars or freezer
> containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; apply lids. Let stand for 12 to
> 24 hours at room temperature; freeze or refrigerate.
>
> Makes about 6 half-pints. (More like 9)
> <<<<<
> Notes: First Prize at the State Fair, 1993 & 1998; second in 1995 &
> '96.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

This looks wonderful, I'll be sure to give it a try. I think this is the
friendliest newsgroup I've been in for quite a while. I may have to keep
visiting just for the new recipies.

Christine

zxcvbob

Christine wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>>>Here's the recipe I use:

>>{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>
>>Apricot-Red Pepper Jelly
>>
>>Recipe By: Sunset Canning Book, p 54
>>Serving Size: 72
>>Preparation Time: 0:00
>>Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>
>>Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
>>1 package (about 6 oz.) dried apricots, chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
>>3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
>>1/4 cup seeded, chopped fresh red Fresno chiles or
>> red (or green) jalapeño chiles (4-6
>> medium-size chiles)
>>2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
>>1 1/2 cups water
>>1 box powdered pectin (1.75 or 2 ounce)
>>6 cups sugar
>>
>>In a blender or food processor, chop apricots, peppers, and 1-3/4 cups
>>of the vinegar until fruit and vegetables are finely ground. Pour into
>>a heavy-bottomed 8- to 10-quart pan. Rinse food processor/blender with
>>the 1-1/2 cups water and remaining 3/4 cup vinegar; pour into pan. Stir
>>in pectin; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring
>>constantly. Quickly add sugar, still stirring. Return to a full
>>rolling boil; then boil, stirring for 1 minute. (If using a 2-oz. box
>>of pectin, boil for 2 minutes.) Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
>>
>>Ladle hot jelly into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch
>>headspace. Wipe rims and threads clean; top with hot lids, then firmly
>>screw on bands. Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes.
>>
>>Or omit processing and ladle jelly into freezer jars or freezer
>>containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; apply lids. Let stand for 12 to
>>24 hours at room temperature; freeze or refrigerate.
>>
>>Makes about 6 half-pints. (More like 9)
>> <<<<<
>>Notes: First Prize at the State Fair, 1993 & 1998; second in 1995 &
>>'96.
>>--
>>-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

> This looks wonderful, I'll be sure to give it a try. I think this is the
> friendliest newsgroup I've been in for quite a while. I may have to keep
> visiting just for the new recipies.
>
> Christine

I've made this recipe before, using red habanero peppers instead of the
fresno or jalapeno peppers. I didn't like the vinegar taste. I may try
it again some day using bottled lemon juice instead. For some reason,
the vinegar is OK in straight pepper jelly.

Just my opinion,
Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Pennyaline"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>
> > The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
> > liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint
> > jars lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with
> > lids in it on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later,
> > when she was ready to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that
> > long to do, let me hasten to add; she spent an hour talking about
> > other stuff before she got to cooking), she emptied the water from
> > each and dried the inside with a dish towel. And she filled the
> > jars and sealed them and used the inversion method because "this is
> > what Certo recommends." She mentioned the USDA's recommended
> > method for water bath processing but said that that's hot, takes
> > more time, and this is easier.

> For real?? I don't know of any manufacturer of canning products that
> actually *recommends* inversion. Everything I've read since parafin
> went out of fashion states that the water bath is the only way to go
> for jellies and jams that are going to be stored.

Tell me what you think.

From the Certo instruction leaflet:
"Read these important tips before you start!"
(Basic info snipped -- don't reduce sugar, pectin products are not
interchangeable, don't double recipes, use correct measuring equipment,
etc., etc.)

Followed by directive to use SureJell for Lower sugar Recipes pectin in
pink box for making spreads with less sugar.

Followed by:
"Note: While you can still use the USDA boiling water bath method of
preparing jams and jellies, CERTO has eliminated the need for this step.
Because jams and jellies are high acid foods, jar preparation can be
made simpler by starting with clean jars and working through the recipe
without delay. Contaminants in jars are destroyed when hot fruit
mixtures are poured *immediately, jars covered and inverted. (When
preserving *all other foods*, follow recommended USDA water bath or
pressure-canning methods.

If preparing jams or jellies for a contest or competition, be sure to
check contest rules for jam and jelly processing. Some contests do not
accept the inversion method."

Their jar prep instructions advise: "Wash jars and screw bands in hot,
soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids
in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use."

FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Pennyaline"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
>>
>><big snip>
>>
>>>The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
>>>liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint
>>>jars lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with
>>>lids in it on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later,
>>>when she was ready to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that
>>>long to do, let me hasten to add; she spent an hour talking about
>>>other stuff before she got to cooking), she emptied the water from
>>>each and dried the inside with a dish towel. And she filled the
>>>jars and sealed them and used the inversion method because "this is
>>>what Certo recommends." She mentioned the USDA's recommended
>>>method for water bath processing but said that that's hot, takes
>>>more time, and this is easier.

>>For real?? I don't know of any manufacturer of canning products that
>>actually *recommends* inversion. Everything I've read since parafin
>>went out of fashion states that the water bath is the only way to go
>>for jellies and jams that are going to be stored.

> Tell me what you think.
>
> From the Certo instruction leaflet:
> "Read these important tips before you start!"
> (Basic info snipped -- don't reduce sugar, pectin products are not
> interchangeable, don't double recipes, use correct measuring equipment,
> etc., etc.)
>
> Followed by directive to use SureJell for Lower sugar Recipes pectin in
> pink box for making spreads with less sugar.
>
> Followed by:
> "Note: While you can still use the USDA boiling water bath method of
> preparing jams and jellies, CERTO has eliminated the need for this step.
> Because jams and jellies are high acid foods, jar preparation can be
> made simpler by starting with clean jars and working through the recipe
> without delay. Contaminants in jars are destroyed when hot fruit
> mixtures are poured *immediately, jars covered and inverted. (When
> preserving *all other foods*, follow recommended USDA water bath or
> pressure-canning methods.
>
> If preparing jams or jellies for a contest or competition, be sure to
> check contest rules for jam and jelly processing. Some contests do not
> accept the inversion method."
>
> Their jar prep instructions advise: "Wash jars and screw bands in hot,
> soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids
> in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use."
>
> FWIW.

I think I'll stick with my BWB on jams and jellies, regardless of the
Certo instructions. Of course I don't use Certo anyway. B-)

George

Christine

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Pennyaline"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
> >
> > <big snip>
> >
> > > The instructor did a demo of pepper jelly with a recipe using Certo
> > > liquid pectin. When we arrived in the classroom, she had half-pint
> > > jars lined up and filled with warm water and a small saucepan with
> > > lids in it on the stove over a low flame. Ninety minutes later,
> > > when she was ready to fill the jars (the recipe did NOT take that
> > > long to do, let me hasten to add; she spent an hour talking about
> > > other stuff before she got to cooking), she emptied the water from
> > > each and dried the inside with a dish towel. And she filled the
> > > jars and sealed them and used the inversion method because "this is
> > > what Certo recommends." She mentioned the USDA's recommended
> > > method for water bath processing but said that that's hot, takes
> > > more time, and this is easier.

> > For real?? I don't know of any manufacturer of canning products that
> > actually *recommends* inversion. Everything I've read since parafin
> > went out of fashion states that the water bath is the only way to go
> > for jellies and jams that are going to be stored.

> Tell me what you think.
>
> From the Certo instruction leaflet:
> "Read these important tips before you start!"
> (Basic info snipped -- don't reduce sugar, pectin products are not
> interchangeable, don't double recipes, use correct measuring equipment,
> etc., etc.)
>
> Followed by directive to use SureJell for Lower sugar Recipes pectin in
> pink box for making spreads with less sugar.
>
> Followed by:
> "Note: While you can still use the USDA boiling water bath method of
> preparing jams and jellies, CERTO has eliminated the need for this step.
> Because jams and jellies are high acid foods, jar preparation can be
> made simpler by starting with clean jars and working through the recipe
> without delay. Contaminants in jars are destroyed when hot fruit
> mixtures are poured *immediately, jars covered and inverted. (When
> preserving *all other foods*, follow recommended USDA water bath or
> pressure-canning methods.
>
> If preparing jams or jellies for a contest or competition, be sure to
> check contest rules for jam and jelly processing. Some contests do not
> accept the inversion method."
>
> Their jar prep instructions advise: "Wash jars and screw bands in hot,
> soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids
> in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use."
>
> FWIW.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Well that is exactly what I did, the jam was still bubbling when I put it in
the clean jars and capped them with the lids left in a saucepan of hot
water. I ended up with jars that sealed properly, but moldy jam inside
them. It was low-sugar jam though. A full-sugar product might do better as
sugar helps to preserve things, but after the frustration of remaking my
jams, I'll be using my hot water bath for everything I preserve. It was
mortifying to have to call my kid's teachers and recommend the freshly made
jam we had just given them as a gift needed to be put in the fridge right
away. (it was only 2 days old but not WB processed).

Christine

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Christine"
> wrote:
(snip)
> Well that is exactly what I did, the jam was still bubbling when I
> put it in the clean jars and capped them with the lids left in a
> saucepan of hot water. I ended up with jars that sealed properly,
> but moldy jam inside them. It was low-sugar jam though. A
> full-sugar product might do better as sugar helps to preserve things,
> but after the frustration of remaking my jams, I'll be using my hot
> water bath for everything I preserve. It was mortifying to have to
> call my kid's teachers and recommend the freshly made jam we had just
> given them as a gift needed to be put in the fridge right away. (it
> was only 2 days old but not WB processed).
>
> Christine

Ugh! I feel your pain, Woman! That's a b**** of a call to have to make
-- "Uh, that great jam I gave you? Maybe it's not so great after all."

So far, I've had one seal failure - and that was a lid that was probably
5 years old. (I don't do many spreads in wide mouth jars any more.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Christine

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> (snip)
> So far, I've had one seal failure - and that was a lid that was probably
> 5 years old. (I don't do many spreads in wide mouth jars any more.)

I've only used the wide mouth jars for canning fruit. But I do have some
smaller ones. Are they a problem with jams and spreads?

Christine

Pennyaline

"Melba's Jammin'" provided the Certo directives:

<snip>

> Followed by:
> "Note: While you can still use the USDA boiling water bath method of
> preparing jams and jellies, CERTO has eliminated the need for this step.
> Because jams and jellies are high acid foods, jar preparation can be
> made simpler by starting with clean jars and working through the recipe
> without delay. Contaminants in jars are destroyed when hot fruit
> mixtures are poured *immediately, jars covered and inverted. (When
> preserving *all other foods*, follow recommended USDA water bath or
> pressure-canning methods.

"High acid" alone be damned! The purpose of the water bath is to reach
higher temperatures and hold them for a longer period of time than inversion
can achieve.

It's true enough that the temperature of jelly/jam when it's poured is
probably enough to kill off simpler bacteria, but in no way is it enough to
penetrate and kill a spore (a strain of bacillus that has formed a nasty
nearly indestructable "shell"). Steam under high pressure produces enough
heat to do in spores (as is produced in a pressure canner used for "low
acid" foods), so does sustained high temperature in a covered water bath
canner, but the inversion method doesn't hold temperature high enough long
enough to do the deed.

The acid environment matters inasmuch as creepies don't like any pH that
varies much from neutral and an acidic environment is natural and
complementary to food, but even acidic foods that are to be *stored* must be
processed to attempt complete kill and seal the deal.

> Their jar prep instructions advise: "Wash jars and screw bands in hot,
> soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids
> in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use."

That will give them a basic cleaning: removing substances used in
manufacture and other surface contaminants. But it does nothing to produce
an aseptic condition, nor does it promote one as mishandling of very hot
equipment encourages recontamination through fumbling and dropping. Boiling
water can damage the sealing compound on the lids, and "let stand in hot
water until ready to use" doesn't mean anything by itself. How hot is "hot"?
Scalding hot? Comfortably hot? Not cold hot? The list goes on. Further, how
long does "hot" stay that way?

<blush!> Sorry about the lecture.

George Shirley

Christine wrote:

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>(snip)
>>So far, I've had one seal failure - and that was a lid that was probably
>>5 years old. (I don't do many spreads in wide mouth jars any more.)

> I've only used the wide mouth jars for canning fruit. But I do have some
> smaller ones. Are they a problem with jams and spreads?
>
> Christine

Not for me, I use them pretty often. Mainly because I bought several
cases at Big Lots for $4.99 a case a few years ago. Lots easier to fill
without error for these old eyes too.

George

nutNhoney

George Shirley wrote:

<snip>

> I think I'll stick with my BWB on jams and jellies, regardless of the
> Certo instructions. Of course I don't use Certo anyway. B-)

George, do you not use pectin or just Certo in particular? I can get 3
brands of pectin here but Certo is the most common and likely the most
expensive. Since Certo is most common that tends to be the brand I buy.
Just curious.

nutNhoney

Christine wrote:

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>(snip)
>>So far, I've had one seal failure - and that was a lid that was probably
>>5 years old. (I don't do many spreads in wide mouth jars any more.)

> I've only used the wide mouth jars for canning fruit. But I do have some
> smaller ones. Are they a problem with jams and spreads?

I'm the opposite preferring the smaller mouth jars.

> Christine

Judith Umbria

"Christine" > wrote in message
, I admit I was lazy and decided to
> try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin recipe. Well, ten days
> later I found little bits of mold in the headspace of twelve jars of
> low-sugar strawberry jam.

I use this method always, and never have a problem, BUT, I keep a stock pot
filled with simmering jars and lids which have been previously boiled. I
pick each jar out with tongs, put it ON a kitchen towel, fill it, then take
the lid out and cap it, closing it while wearing an oven glove. Everything
is boiling hot when it goes together.

zxcvbob

Judith Umbria wrote:
> "Christine" > wrote in message
> , I admit I was lazy and decided to
>
>>try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin recipe. Well, ten days
>>later I found little bits of mold in the headspace of twelve jars of
>>low-sugar strawberry jam.

> I use this method always, and never have a problem, BUT, I keep a stock pot
> filled with simmering jars and lids which have been previously boiled. I
> pick each jar out with tongs, put it ON a kitchen towel, fill it, then take
> the lid out and cap it, closing it while wearing an oven glove. Everything
> is boiling hot when it goes together.

Do you use it for reduced-sugar jams and preserves, or just sugary
jelly? I think it's probably just fine for jelly, but don't tell anyone
I said that.

Bob
Judith Umbria

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Judith Umbria wrote:
> > "Christine" > wrote in message
> > , I admit I was lazy and decided to
> >
> >>try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin recipe. Well, ten days
> >>later I found little bits of mold in the headspace of twelve jars of
> >>low-sugar strawberry jam.

> > I use this method always, and never have a problem, BUT, I keep a stock

pot
> > filled with simmering jars and lids which have been previously boiled.

> > pick each jar out with tongs, put it ON a kitchen towel, fill it, then

take
> > the lid out and cap it, closing it while wearing an oven glove.

Everything
> > is boiling hot when it goes together.
> >

> Do you use it for reduced-sugar jams and preserves, or just sugary
> jelly? I think it's probably just fine for jelly, but don't tell anyone
> I said that.
>
> Bob

I make 1 kilo fruit, 1/2 kilo sugar jam. I think that is reduced sugar, but
I don't really know. It's the main recipe on the Fruttapec packet. It
makes superb jam. It tastes much fruitier than what I used to make.
I occasionally get a jar that doesn't seal really well, so I give it to a
neighbor and tell them to eat it right away and refrigerate it. The rest
last up to two years, which is my run-out time. Most people here make tarts
with jam rather than eating it on toast or bread. That uses the jar up
instantly. My neighbors do the fruit and sugar cook all day thing, no
pectin. My jam is better.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Christine"
> wrote:

> >"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > (snip)
> > So far, I've had one seal failure - and that was a lid that was probably
> > 5 years old. (I don't do many spreads in wide mouth jars any more.)

> I've only used the wide mouth jars for canning fruit. But I do have some
> smaller ones. Are they a problem with jams and spreads?
>
> Christine

Not a bit. They are considerably more expensive than the regular-mouth
jars. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.