nutNhoney

Default Canning Jars

Upto now, I've used mainly Bernardin canning jars as that is the main
brand available here. I have a few Kerr and Ball jars that I picked up
at yard sales and I have several of the older style with the glass lids
to store dry goodies. Canning jars tend to have legs so every year I
end up buying a box I plan on doing a lot more canning now I have a
pressure canner. DH picked up canning jars for me the other day and
came home with a box each Bernardin and Home Discovery. Apparently, the
Bernardin was the last box. The Home Discovery were packaged similar to
Bernardin jars in a full cardboard box and lids packed seperately. They
have snap lids and look pretty much like Bernardin only they included
adhesive labels something Bernadin used to do. They were 50 cents
cheaper though. I was thumbing through the flyers and see another
brand, Golden Harvest. These come with the lids already on, something I
don't think I would care for. I think this could cause sealing problems
later. The box is only a half box with the tops covered with shrink
plastic similar to a case of pop. They are on sale which makes them
about $2 cheaper than Bernardin jars. I do hope the Bernardin jars are
still going to be available here!

George Shirley

nutNhoney wrote:
> Upto now, I've used mainly Bernardin canning jars as that is the main
> brand available here. I have a few Kerr and Ball jars that I picked up
> at yard sales and I have several of the older style with the glass lids
> to store dry goodies. Canning jars tend to have legs so every year I
> end up buying a box I plan on doing a lot more canning now I have a
> pressure canner. DH picked up canning jars for me the other day and
> came home with a box each Bernardin and Home Discovery. Apparently, the
> Bernardin was the last box. The Home Discovery were packaged similar to
> Bernardin jars in a full cardboard box and lids packed seperately. They
> have snap lids and look pretty much like Bernardin only they included
> adhesive labels something Bernadin used to do. They were 50 cents
> cheaper though. I was thumbing through the flyers and see another
> brand, Golden Harvest. These come with the lids already on, something I
> don't think I would care for. I think this could cause sealing problems
> later. The box is only a half box with the tops covered with shrink
> plastic similar to a case of pop. They are on sale which makes them
> about $2 cheaper than Bernardin jars. I do hope the Bernardin jars are
> still going to be available here!

I use more Golden Harvest jars than any other brand, primarily because
they are available at a hefty discount at Big Lots stores. The ones I
buy have the jar lids and rings shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard
and are in the case with the jars, not on them. Never had a problem with
them working at all. YMMV

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, nutNhoney
> wrote:

> (snip)I was thumbing through the flyers and see another
> brand, Golden Harvest. These come with the lids already on, something I
> don't think I would care for. I think this could cause sealing problems
> later. The box is only a half box with the tops covered with shrink
> plastic similar to a case of pop.

Kerr changed to that packaging last year. I don't like it. Have had no
problems with non-sealing lids. I think Alltrista makes all the
brands. Jorge? Care to correct me if I'm wrong? Bob?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/19/04.
Only 6 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, nutNhoney
> > wrote:
>

>>(snip)I was thumbing through the flyers and see another
>>brand, Golden Harvest. These come with the lids already on, something I
>>don't think I would care for. I think this could cause sealing problems
>>later. The box is only a half box with the tops covered with shrink
>>plastic similar to a case of pop.

> Kerr changed to that packaging last year. I don't like it. Have had no
> problems with non-sealing lids. I think Alltrista makes all the
> brands. Jorge? Care to correct me if I'm wrong? Bob?

I don't think they make the Golden Harvest jars Barb, at least they
don't show as an Alltrista product on their products page.

Why don't you like the new Kerr method of packaging jars and lids? Ball,
IIRC, does the same thing and has for some time.

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, nutNhoney
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>(snip)I was thumbing through the flyers and see another
> >>brand, Golden Harvest. These come with the lids already on, something
> >>don't think I would care for. I think this could cause sealing
> >>problems
> >>later. The box is only a half box with the tops covered with shrink
> >>plastic similar to a case of pop.

> > Kerr changed to that packaging last year. I don't like it. Have had
> > no
> > problems with non-sealing lids. I think Alltrista makes all the
> > brands. Jorge? Care to correct me if I'm wrong? Bob?

> I don't think they make the Golden Harvest jars Barb, at least they
> don't show as an Alltrista product on their products page.
>
> Why don't you like the new Kerr method of packaging jars and lids? Ball,
> IIRC, does the same thing and has for some time.
>
> George

I like the 6-sided boxes/cartons. Better storage, IMO.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/19/04.
Only 6 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
big." Good gin and cheap chocolate preferred. Or is it cheap
gin and good chocolate? I can never remember. . . .A diamond bracelet
would be nice. . .

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, nutNhoney
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>(snip)I was thumbing through the flyers and see another brand,
> >>Golden Harvest. These come with the lids already on, something I
> >>don't think I would care for. I think this could cause sealing
> >>problems later. The box is only a half box with the tops covered
> >>with shrink plastic similar to a case of pop.

> > Kerr changed to that packaging last year. I don't like it. Have
> > had no problems with non-sealing lids. I think Alltrista makes
> > all the brands. Jorge? Care to correct me if I'm wrong? Bob?

> I don't think they make the Golden Harvest jars Barb, at least they
> don't show as an Alltrista product on their products page.

(snip)
> George

George, according to this info from the Federation of Historical Bottle
Collectors FAQ file, they do. I don't know how current the information
is. Interesting, that's all. :-)

<http://www.fohbc.com/FOHBC_FAQ.html>
"What is a Ball Jar?
A canning jar or fruit jar made by Ball.

These canning jars were made by the Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing
Company, The Ball Corporation and now Alltrista Corporation.
Generally these jars will have the word Ball embossed in the glass.
(Some people may use the name "Ball Jar" to describe any type of
canning jar. This is technically incorrect).

The Ball Brothers started making fruit jars beginning in 1884 in Western
New York . Their first jars showed the BBGMCo monogram. This monogram
was used until 1886. From the early 1890's until 1962, they made their
canning jars in Muncie Indiana. From about 1900 to 1940, Ball acquired
many other fruit jar making companies . The company name was changed to
The Ball Corporation in 1969. Other plants were located in many other
cities including El Monte, California, Mundelein, Illinois, Asheville,
North Carolina. Since 1993. the Alltrista Corporation has been
manufacturing the Ball glass canning jars. They also make Kerr,
Bernardin and Golden Harvest canning jars. Alltrista's home canning
product line can be found at www.homecanning.com."

OTOH, This U of ILL doc says GH is made by Anchor:
http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/factsheets/FP02_07.pdf

http://www.anchor1.com/home_can.htm seems to bear that out.

Beats me.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/19/04.
Only 6 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
big." Good gin and cheap chocolate preferred. Or is it cheap
gin and good chocolate? I can never remember. . . .A diamond bracelet
would be nice. . .
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Kerr changed to that packaging last year. I don't like it. Have
>>>had no problems with non-sealing lids. I think Alltrista makes
>>>all the brands. Jorge? Care to correct me if I'm wrong? Bob?

>>I don't think they make the Golden Harvest jars Barb, at least they
>>don't show as an Alltrista product on their products page.

> (snip)
>
>>George

> George, according to this info from the Federation of Historical Bottle
> Collectors FAQ file, they do. I don't know how current the information
> is. Interesting, that's all. :-)
>
> <http://www.fohbc.com/FOHBC_FAQ.html>
> "What is a Ball Jar?
> A canning jar or fruit jar made by Ball.
>
> These canning jars were made by the Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing
> Company, The Ball Corporation and now Alltrista Corporation.
> Generally these jars will have the word Ball embossed in the glass.
> (Some people may use the name "Ball Jar" to describe any type of
> canning jar. This is technically incorrect).
>
> The Ball Brothers started making fruit jars beginning in 1884 in Western
> New York . Their first jars showed the BBGMCo monogram. This monogram
> was used until 1886. From the early 1890's until 1962, they made their
> canning jars in Muncie Indiana. From about 1900 to 1940, Ball acquired
> many other fruit jar making companies . The company name was changed to
> The Ball Corporation in 1969. Other plants were located in many other
> cities including El Monte, California, Mundelein, Illinois, Asheville,
> North Carolina. Since 1993. the Alltrista Corporation has been
> manufacturing the Ball glass canning jars. They also make Kerr,
> Bernardin and Golden Harvest canning jars. Alltrista's home canning
> product line can be found at www.homecanning.com."
>
> OTOH, This U of ILL doc says GH is made by Anchor:
> http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/factsheets/FP02_07.pdf
>
> http://www.anchor1.com/home_can.htm seems to bear that out.
>
> Beats me.

Looks like Anchor Hocking makes the Golden Harvest Jars. Anchor Hocking,
to my knowledge, has been making canning jars for dogs years and are
completely independent of Alltrista. I have a number of AH jars in my
pantry that I inherited and some I bought at garage sales. I reckon
Golden Harvest is their later brand name. The old jars have AH in a
circle on the bottom of the jar the Golden Harvest have two numbers on
the bottom. Golden Harvest also has their insignia on the side with
Golden Harvest on top and mason underneath it. Reckon it doesn't really
matter as they're all probably made to the same specifications.

Oh yeah, a word search on Alltrista's site gives you no answer for
"Golden Harvest".

George

Kathi

Default Canning Jars/GEM lids

nutNhoney > wrote in message >...
> Upto now, I've used mainly Bernardin canning jars as that is the main
> brand available here. I have a few Kerr and Ball jars that I picked up
> at yard sales and I have several of the older style with the glass lids
> to store dry goodies. Canning jars tend to have legs so every year I
> end up buying a box I plan on doing a lot more canning now I have a
> pressure canner. DH picked up canning jars for me the other day and
> came home with a box each Bernardin and Home Discovery. Apparently, the
> Bernardin was the last box. The Home Discovery were packaged similar to
> Bernardin jars in a full cardboard box and lids packed seperately. They
> have snap lids and look pretty much like Bernardin only they included
> adhesive labels something Bernadin used to do. They were 50 cents
> cheaper though. I was thumbing through the flyers and see another
> brand, Golden Harvest. These come with the lids already on, something I
> don't think I would care for. I think this could cause sealing problems
> later. The box is only a half box with the tops covered with shrink
> plastic similar to a case of pop. They are on sale which makes them
> about $2 cheaper than Bernardin jars. I do hope the Bernardin jars are
> still going to be available here!

I was at Wal-Mart today (Kanata, Ontario) and noticed Golden Harvest
jars on for $4.93. I normally only buy Bernardin (usually because
that's all I can get), but picked up a case anyway. I'm not too
concerned about the lack of 'real estate', of which there is very
little. I also saw, for the first time in my life, GEM 2 pc lids for
$5.83, and the rubber seals (not the rings) for $1.93.

FYI,
Kathi
nutNhoney

Kathi wrote:

<snip>
> I was at Wal-Mart today (Kanata, Ontario) and noticed Golden Harvest
> jars on for $4.93. I normally only buy Bernardin (usually because
> that's all I can get), but picked up a case anyway. I'm not too
> concerned about the lack of 'real estate', of which there is very
> little. I also saw, for the first time in my life, GEM 2 pc lids for
> $5.83, and the rubber seals (not the rings) for $1.93.

I picked up a box of the rubber seals for the old fashioned canning jars
with glass lids. I use them to store dried goods and the rubber seals
help keep out air.

> FYI,
> Kathi

George Shirley

nutNhoney wrote:
> Kathi wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I was at Wal-Mart today (Kanata, Ontario) and noticed Golden Harvest
>> jars on for $4.93. I normally only buy Bernardin (usually because
>> that's all I can get), but picked up a case anyway. I'm not too
>> concerned about the lack of 'real estate', of which there is very
>> little. I also saw, for the first time in my life, GEM 2 pc lids for
>> $5.83, and the rubber seals (not the rings) for $1.93.

> I picked up a box of the rubber seals for the old fashioned canning jars
> with glass lids. I use them to store dried goods and the rubber seals
> help keep out air.
>

>> FYI,
>> Kathi

If you have a Pier One store nearby they nearly always have the rubber
rings for lightning top jars. They're made in France and a dozen of them
is pretty cheap. I have a number of half gallon and gallon jars I picked
up in the Middle East that I use for cannisters for dry foods.

George

Kathi

nutNhoney > wrote in message >...
> Kathi wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > I was at Wal-Mart today (Kanata, Ontario) and noticed Golden Harvest
> > jars on for $4.93. I normally only buy Bernardin (usually because
> > that's all I can get), but picked up a case anyway. I'm not too
> > concerned about the lack of 'real estate', of which there is very
> > little. I also saw, for the first time in my life, GEM 2 pc lids for
> > $5.83, and the rubber seals (not the rings) for $1.93.

> I picked up a box of the rubber seals for the old fashioned canning jars
> with glass lids. I use them to store dried goods and the rubber seals
> help keep out air.

I have 4 old style glass jars with glass lids - 2 say Ball, 2 say
Crown - they actually have a bluish hue (kinda like the colour of the
pickled garlic I had one year, many ago, that made me search out this
group! But that's another story ;-)....obviously the old lids aren't
safe to use anymore. Do the GEM lids fit them? Gee, if they do,
maybe I can use those jars for more than candle holders......

Kathi

Kathi

> > FYI,
> > Kathi

Straggler

I'm new to this group but just wanted to mention that I've been using
Golden Harvest jars for about 6 months now and they seem to be fine, I
can find no difference between them and any other brand I've used
EXCEPT the GH jars only have an embossed seal on one side (which is
why I use them, so I can put a nice label on them).

from the boxes it appears they are made by Hearthmark of Muncie, Ind.
I by them by the box (12) at "Big Lots" discount stores.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:45:30 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>>I don't think they make the Golden Harvest jars Barb, at least they
>>>don't show as an Alltrista product on their products page.

>> (snip)
>>
>>>George

>> George, according to this info from the Federation of Historical Bottle
>> Collectors FAQ file, they do. I don't know how current the information
>> is. Interesting, that's all. :-)
>>
>> <http://www.fohbc.com/FOHBC_FAQ.html>
>> "What is a Ball Jar?
>> A canning jar or fruit jar made by Ball.
>>
>> These canning jars were made by the Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing
>> Company, The Ball Corporation and now Alltrista Corporation.
>> Generally these jars will have the word Ball embossed in the glass.
>> (Some people may use the name "Ball Jar" to describe any type of
>> canning jar. This is technically incorrect).
>>
>> The Ball Brothers started making fruit jars beginning in 1884 in Western
>> New York . Their first jars showed the BBGMCo monogram. This monogram
>> was used until 1886. From the early 1890's until 1962, they made their
>> canning jars in Muncie Indiana. From about 1900 to 1940, Ball acquired
>> many other fruit jar making companies . The company name was changed to
>> The Ball Corporation in 1969. Other plants were located in many other
>> cities including El Monte, California, Mundelein, Illinois, Asheville,
>> North Carolina. Since 1993. the Alltrista Corporation has been
>> manufacturing the Ball glass canning jars. They also make Kerr,
>> Bernardin and Golden Harvest canning jars. Alltrista's home canning
>> product line can be found at www.homecanning.com."
>>
>> OTOH, This U of ILL doc says GH is made by Anchor:
>> http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/factsheets/FP02_07.pdf
>>
>> http://www.anchor1.com/home_can.htm seems to bear that out.
>>
>> Beats me.

>Looks like Anchor Hocking makes the Golden Harvest Jars. Anchor Hocking,
>to my knowledge, has been making canning jars for dogs years and are
>completely independent of Alltrista. I have a number of AH jars in my
>pantry that I inherited and some I bought at garage sales. I reckon
>Golden Harvest is their later brand name. The old jars have AH in a
>circle on the bottom of the jar the Golden Harvest have two numbers on
>the bottom. Golden Harvest also has their insignia on the side with
>Golden Harvest on top and mason underneath it. Reckon it doesn't really
>matter as they're all probably made to the same specifications.
>
>Oh yeah, a word search on Alltrista's site gives you no answer for
>"Golden Harvest".
>
>George

Canning jars George Shirley Preserving 13 11-07-2010 12:56 PM
More canning jars The Cook Preserving 2 21-09-2008 01:44 PM
More about canning jars The Cook Preserving 2 29-08-2008 02:06 PM
Canning jars? Nancy Young General Cooking 14 01-06-2006 03:32 AM
Canning Jars The Cook Preserving 6 25-09-2004 08:53 PM