Dave

Default canning for lunch on the go

Hi all, I'm currently looking into canning not necessary for long-term
preservation, but as a way of saving $$. I am returning to school
after ~7 years of working and am married with a daughter so I don't
exactly have time to make meals every day. I have even less $$ to be
eating out all the time like I've been doing. Since I'm also on
Atkins, meals at the university are a bit of a dilema. I have access
to microwaves, and that's it.

My plan is to cook something up, say some chicken curry or something,
can a bunch of it (one pint jars), and take a jar to school every day.
To eat. I assume these jars are microwave safe? Do any of you do
canning for this purpose? I am hoping that by canning instead of
feezing, a) I don't have to defrost something for five minutes in the
microwave b) not take up my freezer space, c) since (b), I can make a
larger variety of choices for lunch.

Does anyone do anything like this?

-Dave
Michael

"Dave" > wrote in message
news
> Hi all, I'm currently looking into canning not necessary for long-term
> preservation, but as a way of saving $$. I am returning to school
> after ~7 years of working and am married with a daughter so I don't
> exactly have time to make meals every day. I have even less $$ to be
> eating out all the time like I've been doing. Since I'm also on
> Atkins, meals at the university are a bit of a dilema. I have access
> to microwaves, and that's it.
>
> My plan is to cook something up, say some chicken curry or something,
> can a bunch of it (one pint jars), and take a jar to school every day.
> To eat. I assume these jars are microwave safe?

yes with the metal bands and lids removed. Cover with a paper towel to
avoid splatter.

Do any of you do
> canning for this purpose?

did when I was in grad school.

I am hoping that by canning instead of
> feezing, a) I don't have to defrost something for five minutes in the
> microwave b) not take up my freezer space, c) since (b), I can make a
> larger variety of choices for lunch.

I have been on Adkins for almost three years, not for weight loss but for
health reasons. I don't particularly handle refined carbs very well.

> Does anyone do anything like this?

I mainly canned fish and meat for my lunches. Salads were cheap in the
student union so the combo of my canned meat or fish and a salad was less
than $1.50.

Now I only can fish (mainly salmon) for hunting lunches. I can add hot
sauce, shiso, and other flavorings unavailable in commercial products.
> -Dave

David J. Braunegg

I freeze my lunches and I don't defrost them in the microwave. I just put
the container on my desk and, by lunchtime, the contents are mostly thawed
and are still cold enough that I don't worry about spoilage.

Dave

"Dave" > wrote in message
news
> I am hoping that by canning instead of
> feezing, a) I don't have to defrost something for five minutes in the
> microwave

Ross Reid

Dave > wrote:

>Hi all, I'm currently looking into canning not necessary for long-term
>preservation, but as a way of saving $$. I am returning to school
>after ~7 years of working and am married with a daughter so I don't
>exactly have time to make meals every day. I have even less $$ to be
>eating out all the time like I've been doing. Since I'm also on
>Atkins, meals at the university are a bit of a dilema. I have access
>to microwaves, and that's it.
>
>My plan is to cook something up, say some chicken curry or something,
>can a bunch of it (one pint jars), and take a jar to school every day.
>To eat. I assume these jars are microwave safe? Do any of you do
>canning for this purpose? I am hoping that by canning instead of
>feezing, a) I don't have to defrost something for five minutes in the
>microwave b) not take up my freezer space, c) since (b), I can make a
>larger variety of choices for lunch.

Sounds like a decent plan but involves a fair amount of work.
Just be aware that chicken requires pressure canning, pints take 75
minutes at 10 p.s.i.

Ross.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave
> wrote:

> Hi all, I'm currently looking into canning not necessary for long-term
> preservation, but as a way of saving $$. I am returning to school
> after ~7 years of working and am married with a daughter so I don't
> exactly have time to make meals every day. I have even less $$ to be
> eating out all the time like I've been doing. Since I'm also on
> Atkins, meals at the university are a bit of a dilema. I have access
> to microwaves, and that's it.

> My plan is to cook something up, say some chicken curry or something,
> can a bunch of it (one pint jars), and take a jar to school every day.
> To eat. I assume these jars are microwave safe?

Sure. Take the lid and ring off before heating. :-) I'd seriously
consider bringing along a bowl to heat in, though - get the mass broader
and shallower for better heating.

> Do any of you do canning for this purpose?

Not me.

>I am hoping that by canning instead of feezing, a) I don't have to
>defrost something for five minutes in the microwave b) not take up my
>freezer space, c) since (b), I can make a larger variety of choices
>for lunch.

Personally, I'd opt for freezing. You can pull a package from the
freezer in the morning and it can be thawed or well on its way to being
thawed by lunch time (especially if the shape is on the shallow and wide
side) -- freeze it in one of those expendable ZipLoc bowls -- I believe
they're micro-safe. JMO.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/16/04.
Less than a month until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop