Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Sure Jell secrets?

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Lefty" > wrote:
>
> > Maybe the Sur Jell needs the extra sugar to conceal its taste? Or this:

An
> > older Food Science textbook says the standards for identity for jams and
> > jellies is "no less than 45 parts of fruit to 55 parts of sweetener by
> > weight". Or maybe they are playing it safe to cover their ass in case

some
> > fool makes botulism.

> You don't get botulism from fruit jam, or jelly, or preserves.
> Botulism poisoning CAN be a result of improperly processed low-acid
> comestibles (flesh, vegetables, combinations thereof).
>
> rec.food.preserving has a good FAQ file available.
> http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-27-2006 It Can Can!

That's why you are the Jam Lady :-) I was just conjecturing.

Just adding lemon juice has worked for me so far, I assume, because I just
happened to use high-pectin fruit.

I make enough to fill a pint jar and keep it in the fridge. It doesn't have
time to go bad, it tastes too good.
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful