Can you freeze canned peaches?

Old 28-03-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Can you freeze canned peaches?

If you buy a giant sized can of sliced peaches in light syrup, can you
use some of it and then freeze the rest in freezer baggies?

Old 28-03-2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Chita wrote:
If you buy a giant sized can of sliced peaches in light syrup, can you
use some of it and then freeze the rest in freezer baggies?

Certainly.

TK

--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence.
Old 28-03-2006, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

THANKS! I really appreciate the help. I "saved money" buying a giant
sized can and then worried what to do with the excess.

Old 28-03-2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Chita wrote:

If you buy a giant sized can of sliced peaches in light syrup, can you
use some of it and then freeze the rest in freezer baggies?

Yes, but...

Freezing will break cell walls and make them mushy. If you can freeze
them at all.

The syrup will lower the freezing point, and if your freezer isn't set
to lower than that, it's essentially a colder refrigerator as far as the
peaches are concerned.

Pastorio
Old 28-03-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article .com,
"Chita" wrote:

THANKS! I really appreciate the help. I "saved money" buying a giant
sized can and then worried what to do with the excess.

Smoothies. Add yogurt and banana, a coupla ice cubes. Blend in blender
until thick and smoothy. "-) Maybe a little vanilla.
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 3-27-2006 It Can Can!

Grilled Peaches with Raspberry Sauce Duckie Recipes 0 04-06-2005 05:44 PM
Pizza Sauce Recipe rmg General Cooking 4 26-01-2005 04:20 AM
Peach Wine from Canned Peaches Mark - N1MT Winemaking 10 26-10-2004 04:39 PM
Canned Goods Tom Royer General Cooking 38 13-01-2004 11:15 PM
I don't know if my canned food is still good Steven Zwanger General Cooking 23 22-12-2003 09:34 PM