Golem_Head

Default Amba (mango chutney)

Greetings everyone,

I've been looking everywhere for a mango chutney recipe, often called Amba,
which is quite popular among middle eastern natives (Israel, Iraq, Iran,
Egypt). My grandmother used to make it when I was a child, but when she
passed away, no one in the family seemed to have kept a copy of the recipe.
I have researched both the internet and public libraries, but couldn't come
up with a similar recipe. I believe prepared Amba is available in middle
eastern stores, but I would like to try and make it at home.

Amba is made up of ripe mangoes - there are no other vegetables or dried
fruits added to the recipe. It is bright yellow (probably due to turmeric)
and has a very strong smell and flavour. The texture is slighly mushy with
bits of mangoes suspended in thick yellow paste. It is not particulary
spicy, but has a very distinct flavour (maybe fenugreek?).

I was hoping someone on the newsgroup may have heard of Amba and can offer
some direction as to how to go about making it at home.

Thank you most kindly,
golem_head

smithfarms pure kona

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:48:03 -0400, "Golem_Head"
> wrote:

>Greetings everyone,
>
>I've been looking everywhere for a mango chutney recipe, often called

Amba,
>which is quite popular among middle eastern natives (Israel, Iraq,

Iran,
>Egypt). My grandmother used to make it when I was a child, but when

she
>passed away, no one in the family seemed to have kept a copy of the

recipe.
>I have researched both the internet and public libraries, but

couldn't come
>up with a similar recipe. I believe prepared Amba is available in

middle
>eastern stores, but I would like to try and make it at home.
>
>Amba is made up of ripe mangoes - there are no other vegetables or

dried
>fruits added to the recipe. It is bright yellow (probably due to

turmeric)
>and has a very strong smell and flavour. The texture is slighly mushy

with
>bits of mangoes suspended in thick yellow paste. It is not

particulary
>spicy, but has a very distinct flavour (maybe fenugreek?).
>
>I was hoping someone on the newsgroup may have heard of Amba and can

offer
>some direction as to how to go about making it at home.
>
>Thank you most kindly,
>golem_head

Yikes, my grandmother made Mango Chutney but it is nothing like your
description and I have never heard the word Amba before.. I believe
the my Hawaiian Mango Chutney is more along the lines of English
Chutney--from India etc. Sorry I can't help except we both know how
good our Mango Chutney is and we thank our grand mothers
Good luck.
with aloha,
Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
rebecca

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:48:03 -0400, "Golem_Head"
> wrote:

>Greetings everyone,
>
>I've been looking everywhere for a mango chutney recipe, often called Amba,
>which is quite popular among middle eastern natives (Israel, Iraq, Iran,
>Egypt).

I don't have a recipe, but I found, when looking for one, that 'amba'
is just the word for 'mango' in several languages.

--Rebecca
Golem_Head

"rebecca" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:48:03 -0400, "Golem_Head"
> > wrote:
>
> >Greetings everyone,
> >
> >I've been looking everywhere for a mango chutney recipe, often called

Amba,
> >which is quite popular among middle eastern natives (Israel, Iraq, Iran,
> >Egypt).

> I don't have a recipe, but I found, when looking for one, that 'amba'
> is just the word for 'mango' in several languages.
>
> --Rebecca

As pointed out, the word 'amba' in some languages is translated as 'mango'.
However, in some parts of the middle east, the word 'amba' is also used to
refer to this type of mango chutney. Oddly enough, there seems to be no
ambiguity about it - when you speak of 'amba' in the context of chutney,
people know you are talking about the chutney and not the fruit.

golem head

Loki

il Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:48:03 -0400, "Golem_Head" ha scritto:
[...] I believe prepared Amba is available in middle
> eastern stores, but I would like to try and make it at home.

> Amba is made up of ripe mangoes - there are no other vegetables or dried
> fruits added to the recipe. It is bright yellow (probably due to turmeric)
> and has a very strong smell and flavour. The texture is slighly mushy with
> bits of mangoes suspended in thick yellow paste. It is not particulary
> spicy, but has a very distinct flavour (maybe fenugreek?).

[...]

Have a look at the ingredients listed for a clue as to what it's made
of is one way.
The other is to try making some.

I found this recipe in a book I have out from the library here. "the
book of preserves" by Mary Norwak c.1986

Mango Chutney
6 ripe mangoes, peeled, thinly sliced
310 ml cider vinegar (10 fl oz or 1 1/4 cups)
250 g cups) light brown sugar (8 oz or 1 1/3
45g fresh ginger root, peeled, chopped (11/2 oz. )
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt

in a large saucepan, cook mangoes and vinegar over low heat 10
minutes
Stir in sugar, ginger garlic, chilli powder and salt.
Increase heat; bring slowly to boil, stirring well.
Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Wash 1 (250g or 8 oz.) jar in hot soapy water; rinse. Keep hot until
needed.
ladle hot chutney into 1 hot jar at a time. Wipe rim of jar with a
clean damp cloth, Cover. Fill and cover remaining jars.
Let mature 1 month before using.

Makes 1 jar.

Is that near enough? i dunno why you'd want tumeric. Mangoes are
yellow anyway.
--
Cheers,

Loki

il 06 Apr 2004 21:08:47 +1200, "Loki" ha scritto:

> Is that near enough? i dunno why you'd want tumeric. Mangoes are
> yellow anyway.

Well, look what I found :-)

Relish, Amba (D/P)
Source: Unknown
Serves: Unknown
2 green mangoes (non-ripe), cut into 1"x1" pieces
50g GUD (jaggery) or sugar
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. punch-phutana seeds
1 tsp. ghee or oil
Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Pour 2 to 3 cups of water into a pan and put in medium heat. Add the
pieces of mangoes, turmeric powder,
molasses or sugar, and salt. Boil until the pieces of mango are
cooked properly.
Fry the punch-phutana in a fry pan until it splutters and then add
the curry leaves.
Mix the fried punch-phutana with the boiled mangoes and serve.
Posted by Angel Katz on:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ishamba01.html

I have no idea whatsoever what punch-phutana are.
--
Cheers,

Golem_Head

"Loki" > wrote in message
> il 06 Apr 2004 21:08:47 +1200, "Loki" ha scritto:
>

> > Is that near enough? i dunno why you'd want tumeric. Mangoes are
> > yellow anyway.

> Well, look what I found :-)
>
> Relish, Amba (D/P)
> Source: Unknown
> Serves: Unknown
> 2 green mangoes (non-ripe), cut into 1"x1" pieces
> 50g GUD (jaggery) or sugar
> 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
> 1 tsp. punch-phutana seeds
> 1 tsp. ghee or oil
> Curry leaves
> Salt to taste
> Pour 2 to 3 cups of water into a pan and put in medium heat. Add the
> pieces of mangoes, turmeric powder,
> molasses or sugar, and salt. Boil until the pieces of mango are
> cooked properly.
> Fry the punch-phutana in a fry pan until it splutters and then add
> the curry leaves.
> Mix the fried punch-phutana with the boiled mangoes and serve.
> Posted by Angel Katz on:
> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ishamba01.html
>
> I have no idea whatsoever what punch-phutana are.
> --
> Cheers,
> Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

You know, this looks like it might be it - except I can't seem to find out
information about the punch-phutana seeds. It must be the seeds that are
giving the dish the strong flavour. I remember the flavour being so strong
that you can't distinguish any other spice/herb in the chutney (i.e., can't
tell there's curry leaves in it).

I will check out the ingredients on the jar of amba from the middle eastern
store. Maybe someone at the store can help me recognize these punch-phutana
seeds =)

Thanks so much for digging this up, Loki!

Regards,
golem head

Ellen Wickberg

in article , Golem_Head at
wrote on 5/4/04 2:48 pm:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I've been looking everywhere for a mango chutney recipe, often called Amba,
> which is quite popular among middle eastern natives (Israel, Iraq, Iran,
> Egypt). My grandmother used to make it when I was a child, but when she
> passed away, no one in the family seemed to have kept a copy of the recipe.
> I have researched both the internet and public libraries, but couldn't come
> up with a similar recipe. I believe prepared Amba is available in middle
> eastern stores, but I would like to try and make it at home.
>
> Amba is made up of ripe mangoes - there are no other vegetables or dried
> fruits added to the recipe. It is bright yellow (probably due to turmeric)
> and has a very strong smell and flavour. The texture is slighly mushy with
> bits of mangoes suspended in thick yellow paste. It is not particulary
> spicy, but has a very distinct flavour (maybe fenugreek?).
>
> I was hoping someone on the newsgroup may have heard of Amba and can offer
> some direction as to how to go about making it at home.
>
> Thank you most kindly,
> golem_head

From "The book of jewish food ( askenazi and sephardi recipes) by Claudia
Roden
Mango chutney
3 fleshy mangoes, about 2 lbs, cut into small cubes
3 oz fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed in a press
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup jaggery or muscovado sugar
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup raisins

Put all ingredients together in a pan and simmer over very low het for about
15-20 minutes cool before putting in a jar

I don't know if this would be worth your while to make without the slivered
almonds and raisins.
Ellen

Golem_Head

"Ellen Wickberg" > wrote in message
[...]
> From "The book of jewish food ( askenazi and sephardi recipes) by Claudia
> Roden
> Mango chutney
> 3 fleshy mangoes, about 2 lbs, cut into small cubes
> 3 oz fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
> 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed in a press
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
> 1 cup white wine vinegar
> 1/4 cup jaggery or muscovado sugar
> 1/4 cup slivered almonds
> 1/4 cup raisins
>
> Put all ingredients together in a pan and simmer over very low het for

about
> 15-20 minutes cool before putting in a jar
>
> I don't know if this would be worth your while to make without the

slivered
> almonds and raisins.
> Ellen

I think Amba seems to be popular among sephardic Jews - mostly Iraqi Jews,
maybe even Indian Jews. I read somewhere that Amba is commonly offered as a
topping in falafel stands in Israel too.

I think the strong flavour of the Amba is due to a unique combination of
spices and seeds. I've seen this recipe before but I didn't think it had the
right combination of ingredients to deliver that strong unique flavour I've
been yearning for =)

Cheers,
golem head

Brian Mailman

Golem_Head wrote:

> "Loki" > wrote in message
> > il 06 Apr 2004 21:08:47 +1200, "Loki" ha scritto:
> >

> > > Is that near enough? i dunno why you'd want tumeric. Mangoes are
> > > yellow anyway.

> > Well, look what I found :-)
> >
> > Relish, Amba (D/P)
> > Source: Unknown
> > Serves: Unknown
> > 2 green mangoes (non-ripe), cut into 1"x1" pieces
> > 50g GUD (jaggery) or sugar
> > 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
> > 1 tsp. punch-phutana seeds
> > 1 tsp. ghee or oil
> > Curry leaves
> > Salt to taste
> > Pour 2 to 3 cups of water into a pan and put in medium heat. Add the
> > pieces of mangoes, turmeric powder,
> > molasses or sugar, and salt. Boil until the pieces of mango are
> > cooked properly.
> > Fry the punch-phutana in a fry pan until it splutters and then add
> > the curry leaves.
> > Mix the fried punch-phutana with the boiled mangoes and serve.
> > Posted by Angel Katz on:
> > http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ishamba01.html
> >
> > I have no idea whatsoever what punch-phutana are.
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]
> >

> You know, this looks like it might be it -

It is. That's the mailing list I own and someone who was a recent
immigrant to Israel was looking for a recipe last year. (actually, the
consensus was that few, if any, actually made amba at home, it was
always purchased).

> except I can't seem to find out
> information about the punch-phutana seeds.

Seems to be a spice mixture... if I remember it's the words for "five
spice blend." You might want to ask in rec.food.cooking.

B/

Brian Mailman

Brian Mailman wrote:

> > except I can't seem to find out
> > information about the punch-phutana seeds.

> Seems to be a spice mixture... if I remember it's the words for "five
> spice blend."

In Hindi, that is. Apparently, there were Iraqi Jews that were trading
and setting up comunities in Northern India in the 19th century, and
foods went back and forth.

B/
Golem_Head

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
> > > except I can't seem to find out
> > > information about the punch-phutana seeds.

> > Seems to be a spice mixture... if I remember it's the words for "five
> > spice blend."

> In Hindi, that is. Apparently, there were Iraqi Jews that were trading
> and setting up comunities in Northern India in the 19th century, and
> foods went back and forth.
>
> B/

Iraqi Jews in Northern India?! Ah, I now I understand why indian food tastes
so familiar to me. I had recently visited an Indian restaurant that served
some kind of mixed vegetable chutney. There was
a spice in it that immediately reminded me of Amba. It must have been the
punch-phutana seeds.

You are correct about buying Amba - I also heard that very few people
make it at home. I'm not sure why, given that the recipe is fairly straight
forward to make.

Thank you everyone for the quick response to my inquiry and for sharing your
knowledge.

Best wishes,
golem head

Loki

il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:52:50 -0700, Brian Mailman ha scritto:

> It is. That's the mailing list I own and someone who was a recent
> immigrant to Israel was looking for a recipe last year. (actually, the
> consensus was that few, if any, actually made amba at home, it was
> always purchased).

How does one own a mailing list? :-) You can thnk Google I found it
:-)
--
Cheers,

Brian Mailman

Loki wrote:

> il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:52:50 -0700, Brian Mailman ha scritto:
>
> > It is. That's the mailing list I own and someone who was a recent
> > immigrant to Israel was looking for a recipe last year. (actually, the
> > consensus was that few, if any, actually made amba at home, it was
> > always purchased).

> How does one own a mailing list? :-)

It's a Yahoogroup;

> You can thnk Google I found it
> :-)

You found the recipe archive we keep for the list
http://www.jewishfood-list.com

B/
George Shirley

Loki wrote:
> il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:52:50 -0700, Brian Mailman ha scritto:
>

>>It is. That's the mailing list I own and someone who was a recent
>>immigrant to Israel was looking for a recipe last year. (actually, the
>>consensus was that few, if any, actually made amba at home, it was
>>always purchased).

> How does one own a mailing list? :-) You can thnk Google I found it
> :-)

You start one up and find a host server, Yahoo Groups comes to mind. The
listowner is the person(s) who does all the work of keeping folks in
line, etc. I owned two different gardening lists at one time but no
more. I finally wised up. Still it can be a lot of fun. There are
actually thousands of mailing lists out there on every subject under the
sun.

George

Brian Mailman

Golem_Head wrote:

> > > Seems to be a spice mixture... if I remember it's the words for "five
> > > spice blend."

> > In Hindi, that is. Apparently, there were Iraqi Jews that were trading
> > and setting up comunities in Northern India in the 19th century, and
> > foods went back and forth.

> Iraqi Jews in Northern India?! Ah, I now I understand why indian food tastes
> so familiar to me.

Yup... 'Swhy Iraqi food tends to the hot side with different peppers,
not just red ones.

> I had recently visited an Indian restaurant that served
> some kind of mixed vegetable chutney. There was
> a spice in it that immediately reminded me of Amba. It must have been the
> punch-phutana seeds.

If I remember properly, in that kind of a dish the different spices are
sauteed in oil and it's used as a finishing.

B/
smithfarms pure kona

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:52:50 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Golem_Head wrote:

are

>> > Well, look what I found :-)
>> >
>> > Relish, Amba (D/P)
>> > Source: Unknown
>> > Serves: Unknown
>> > 2 green mangoes (non-ripe), cut into 1"x1" pieces
>> > 50g GUD (jaggery) or sugar
>> > 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
>> > 1 tsp. punch-phutana seeds
>> > 1 tsp. ghee or oil
>> > Curry leaves
>> > Salt to taste
>> > Pour 2 to 3 cups of water into a pan and put in medium heat. Add

the
>> > pieces of mangoes, turmeric powder,
>> > molasses or sugar, and salt. Boil until the pieces of mango are
>> > cooked properly.
>> > Fry the punch-phutana in a fry pan until it splutters and then

add
>> > the curry leaves.
>> > Mix the fried punch-phutana with the boiled mangoes and serve.
>> > Posted by Angel Katz on:
>> > http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ishamba01.html
>> >
>> > I have no idea whatsoever what punch-phutana are.
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]
>> >

>> You know, this looks like it might be it -

>It is. That's the mailing list I own and someone who was a recent
>immigrant to Israel was looking for a recipe last year. (actually,

the
>consensus was that few, if any, actually made amba at home, it was
>always purchased).
>
>> except I can't seem to find out
>> information about the punch-phutana seeds.

>Seems to be a spice mixture... if I remember it's the words for "five
>spice blend." You might want to ask in rec.food.cooking.
>
>B/

The Chinese have a 5 spice blend. Very tasty.

And btw, making chutney is an ordeal--even if it is the
Indian/English/Hawaiian type. You have to go and pick just the right
mangoes at the right time (half green) and then you spend the rest of
that day slicing the mangoes while your hands cramp up , and then
the next day is spent cooking the stuff and canning it. It is a real
2 day solid job and everything else goes by the wayside. Then you put
the mango chutney in a dark closet for a few months as it melds.

And then you can spend a whole year enjoying the awesome taste.
aloha,
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Brian Mailman

smithfarms pure kona wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:52:50 -0700, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>
> >Golem_Head wrote:

> are

> the

> add

> >> You know, this looks like it might be it -

> >immigrant to Israel was looking for a recipe last year. (actually,

> the
> >consensus was that few, if any, actually made amba at home, it was
> >always purchased).
> >
> >> except I can't seem to find out
> >> information about the punch-phutana seeds.

> >Seems to be a spice mixture... if I remember it's the words for "five
> >spice blend." You might want to ask in rec.food.cooking.
> >
> >B/

> The Chinese have a 5 spice blend. Very tasty.

Yah, but this is not only different in that it's different spices, the
spices involved are first pan-roasted (that is to say, dry-fried) before
they are ground and then they are mixed with oil.

> And btw, making chutney is an ordeal--even if it is the
> Indian/English/Hawaiian type.

Right, but from my understanding amba is more of a spread/dip--it's got
the same flavor range as what we call a chutney so chutney it is. Kinda
like a seahorse really doesn't look much like a horse..

B/
Loki

il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:23:29 -0700, Brian Mailman ha scritto:

> Right, but from my understanding amba is more of a spread/dip--it's got
> the same flavor range as what we call a chutney so chutney it is. Kinda
> like a seahorse really doesn't look much like a horse..

I did come across a mango puree thing too, that used fresh mangoes.
Mango compote I think. Me, I just eat them straight - too nice to
muck around with.
--
Cheers,

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem_Head View Post
Greetings everyone,

I've been looking everywhere for a mango chutney recipe, often called Amba,
which is quite popular among middle eastern natives (Israel, Iraq, Iran,
Egypt).
Hi Golem Head,

I know it's been a LONG time since your original post, but I thought you might like to know that a proper recipe for amba has been posted online at Amba A Spicy And Savory Mango Condiment) Recipe - Food.com - 280255 . It is a translation from a Hebrew cookbook, and I am taking the liberty of reposting it here in a more friendly format. I haven't made it yet, but the ingredients sound right for what I had in Israel and mesh with what you described your grandmother making. We follow a paleo diet, so I substituted the corn oil with olive oil and 'salt' with sea salt. Here it is:

This recipe comes from a Hebrew cookbook, Matanot Mehamitbach (Gifts From The Kitchen) by Gil Hovav, one of Israel's foremost foodies, translation courtesy of Mirj. Use amba on falafel, schawarma, sabich, and shishlik.

Yield: 4 cups
Time: 30 mins + 4-5 days

Ingredients
10 green mangoes
5 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup yellow mustard seeds
½ cup whole cumin seed
¼ cup small dried red peppers (about 10)
2 tbsp ground fenugreek
¼ cup hot paprika
2 tbsp turmeric
2 heads garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup olive oil (more or less, for finishing)

Procedure
1. Wash mangoes and dice (including peel) the size of your pinky finger. Add sea salt and place into a large jar in a sunny spot for 4-5 days. At the end of this time the mangoes should be a very light, yellow color. Drain, saving the liquid.
2. Allow the mango slices to dry in the sun 3-4 hours (I use a dehydrator for two).
3. Heat olive oil in a pot and add spices (but not the garlic), stirring constantly until they begin to pop. Add the mango liquid and bring to a boil, then add the mango pieces and garlic. Stir continuously for 5 minutes on low.
4. Remove from heat and allow amba to cool completely.
5. Divide the mixture among four sterilized, half-pint jars. Cover amba with olive oil and seal. The amba will keep for at least six months.

Tips
"Be aware, fenugreek will add a certain je n'ai c'est quoi to your body odor. Fenugreek is good for you, but not in every way..." Eat in limited quantities.

I have a few questions about this recipe, and wish there was someone who had made it who could answer...

If you don't have fenugreek, you may be able to substitute a small amount of maple syrup, or maybe fennel?

Are the small red peppers hot or sweet peppers? do you crush them? reconstitute them? de-seed them?

Anyways, I hope this helps!
~Shoshana

Mango Chutney Wendy and Sue Odberg Recipes 0 24-12-2009 09:37 PM
Mango Chutney Valerie Recipes (moderated) 0 01-01-2008 09:14 PM
Mango Chutney MoM Recipes (moderated) 0 30-09-2005 12:41 PM
Mango Chutney Brock Bailey Preserving 0 14-04-2004 09:02 AM
Mango Chutney luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 06-11-2003 07:10 PM