FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Canning peppers in oil (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/86329-canning-peppers-oil.html)

Jer[_1_] 20-03-2006 07:23 AM

Canning peppers in oil

I just tried canning for the first time and I canned some pasta gravey
and it went well all the lids sucked up tight. Then I tried some mixed
peppers in oil. My question is after the lids sucked down and the jars
cooled off the oil became cloudy. Is that normal?

The Joneses[_1_] 20-03-2006 04:13 PM

Canning peppers in oil

Jer wrote:

> I just tried canning for the first time and I canned some pasta gravey
> and it went well all the lids sucked up tight. Then I tried some mixed
> peppers in oil. My question is after the lids sucked down and the jars
> cooled off the oil became cloudy. Is that normal?

Jer - A sealed lid do not a potable product make. Y'all didn't say what
your recipe was and which method you used, boiling water bath or pressure
canning. For the gravy, anyways. BWB for the "pasta gravy" (tomato sauce
base?) might be all right if the pH was 4.6 or below. Hard to tell without
testing or the recipe. pH test strips are available in scientific supply
stores or educational science type stores. Or a brewer's store.
Peppers in oil sounds like a recipe for disaster at the home level. Even
with pressure canning, you might not get the heat necessary to destroy
botulism germs which live everywhere. That combination of juicy peppers
(moisture) in anaerobic environment of oil & canning is downright
dangerous. Don't eat them, destroy as toxic waste, sterilize jars before
you use them again.
Check out our FAQ at http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
Edrena

[email protected] 20-03-2006 05:20 PM

Canning peppers in oil

"Jer" > wrote:

>I just tried canning for the first time and I canned some pasta gravey
>and it went well all the lids sucked up tight. Then I tried some mixed
>peppers in oil. My question is after the lids sucked down and the jars
>cooled off the oil became cloudy. Is that normal?

I hope your peppers were canned in an approved pickling solution and
not in oil only. Low acid foods in oil can be very dangerous. Check
out: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...d_peppers.html
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Brian Mailman[_1_] 20-03-2006 07:00 PM

Canning peppers in oil

The Joneses wrote:

> For the gravy, anyways. BWB for the "pasta gravy" (tomato sauce
> base?)

Yeah, that's New English for "tomato sauce" particularly in parts of MA
and RI.

B/

Brian Mailman[_1_] 20-03-2006 07:15 PM

Canning peppers in oil

Brian Mailman wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> For the gravy, anyways. BWB for the "pasta gravy" (tomato sauce
>> base?)

> Yeah, that's New English for "tomato sauce" particularly in parts of MA
> and RI.

erf, I meant "tomato gravy." Not familiar with the usage "pasta gravy"
(considering most in that region seem to call pasta either "spaghetti"
or "macaroni") but probably same thing.

B/

Jer[_1_] 20-03-2006 11:20 PM

Canning peppers in oil

I cut up some sport peppers, celerey,carrots, and califlower then
pickled them in vinagar for a couple of days. Then drained them and
put into jars and filled them with veg oil. I let it set to make sure
all the air bubbles were gone then used the BWB method. When I took
them out of the boiling water the liquid wea clear. As the jars cooled
that's when the oil began to cloud up. After a day, still cloudy.

Kathi Jones 20-03-2006 11:25 PM

Canning peppers in oil

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
> > The Joneses wrote:
> >
> >> For the gravy, anyways. BWB for the "pasta gravy" (tomato sauce
> >> base?)

> > Yeah, that's New English for "tomato sauce" particularly in parts of MA
> > and RI.

> erf, I meant "tomato gravy." Not familiar with the usage "pasta gravy"
> (considering most in that region seem to call pasta either "spaghetti"
> or "macaroni") but probably same thing.
>
> B/

sounds like 'poison' to me....;-)

Kathi

The Joneses[_1_] 21-03-2006 02:45 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Jer wrote:

> I cut up some sport peppers, celerey,carrots, and califlower then
> pickled them in vinagar for a couple of days. Then drained them and
> put into jars and filled them with veg oil. I let it set to make sure
> all the air bubbles were gone then used the BWB method. When I took
> them out of the boiling water the liquid wea clear. As the jars cooled
> that's when the oil began to cloud up. After a day, still cloudy.

Sounds to me like some of the moisture and or veggie bits in the pickle
combined with the oil. In _Joy of Pickling_, the author has a few recipes
containing oils, one is marinated dried tomatoes, then covered in olive
oil & refrigerated; a cucumber pickle with a layer of oil on top, also
just refrigerated. I've canned pickled mixed peppers many times with a
tablespoon of olive oil on top, and a couple other various relishes with a
little oil in the recipe. I think the pickling first is a good idea, but
dunno if that will completely eliminate the risks.
I think Bob(this one) Pastorio makes flavored oils - whattya think Bob?
You might want to write the USDA's partner, the Univ of Georgia's
National Center for Home Food Preservation: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ Dr.
Andress has been very helpful in the past.
Let us know what you find out.
Edrena

Bob (this one) 21-03-2006 05:17 PM

Canning peppers in oil

The Joneses wrote:
> Jer wrote:
>
>> I cut up some sport peppers, celerey,carrots, and califlower then
>>pickled them in vinagar for a couple of days. Then drained them and
>>put into jars and filled them with veg oil. I let it set to make sure
>>all the air bubbles were gone then used the BWB method. When I took
>>them out of the boiling water the liquid wea clear. As the jars cooled
>>that's when the oil began to cloud up. After a day, still cloudy.

Why did you do this? What were you trying to achieve?

> Sounds to me like some of the moisture and or veggie bits in the pickle
> combined with the oil. In _Joy of Pickling_, the author has a few recipes
> containing oils, one is marinated dried tomatoes, then covered in olive
> oil & refrigerated; a cucumber pickle with a layer of oil on top, also
> just refrigerated. I've canned pickled mixed peppers many times with a
> tablespoon of olive oil on top, and a couple other various relishes with a
> little oil in the recipe. I think the pickling first is a good idea, but
> dunno if that will completely eliminate the risks.
> I think Bob(this one) Pastorio makes flavored oils - whattya think Bob?

Guess: Acidifying the peppers *in theory* would help. Their pH should be
low enough to be safe. That's all theoretical. The veggies listed above
won't appreciably flavor the oil.

Having said that, I wouldn't do it unless I had a tested recipe for it.
The advice below is the smartest.

Pastorio

Mark D 23-03-2006 01:38 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Jer, I assume you were trying to make Giardeneira, correct?

Yes, some do use a vinegar bath first, but for two days ought to make
that a real vinegary mess.

It may have possibly been the Cauliflower that caused the pepper mix to
cloud?

I make Giardeneira when I can get decent peppers (Sport-Green
Cayenne-Finger-Hots), and living here in NM, that is almost never,
believe it or not, unless I grow them myself. All you see here is
Jalapeno, Serrano, and new Mexican Big Jims, and none of these I feel
are suitable.

This is what I use, and do, when I make Giardeneira:
First, if you clean-wash the peppers (Cayenne-Sport-Fingerhot), you must
make sure they are totally dry.
A 1/3-1/2 lb of peppers makes a ton!
3 Stalks of Fresh Celery, washed, and thoroughly dry. One small 7oz jar
of small Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, drained, and dried as much as
possible on a few paper towels (Save the Juice for Dirty Martinis!)
Two heaping Tablespoons of Capers in Brine, and also drained-dried on
Paper Towels.

Chop Peppers into 5/16" slices, discarding the tops-stems, slice celery
into small slices, throw in a large Stainless Steel, or Glass Bowl, add
the Olives whole, add the Capers, and take a large bottle of either
Canola, or Vegetable Oil, and pour over the mixture, making sure that
the mix is totally immersed by the oil.

Store in a cool place, cover with aluminum foil. Every day for a week,
check, and make sure the mix remains submersed in the oil, and push down
any floaters with a spoon.

After one week of sitting, you may take this mixture, spoon into jars,
and make sure you leave a good 1/2" of oil at the top to keep the mix
submersed while stored.

You may then cap the mixture without worry of any explosive mishaps.
Store in a cool cupboard, and within 3-4 weeks, this mixture will be
ready to eat, and the peppers-celery won't be hard as rocks.

Shelf life is easily one year, or more, and the oil will take on an
Olive Oil Flavor. The amount of brine-salt from the Olives-Capers is
enough to flavor the mix, adequately without being horribly vinegary.

Beautiful on Pasta, Sandwiches, etc, and I have never, I repeat NEVER
gotten sick using this recipe. There's no need to boil-vacuum pack,
provided you use the oil bath to preserve this.

No doubt even your recipe would work better without boiling. The
Vinegar Bath, and the immersion in Oil should be enough. Mark

zxcvbob 23-03-2006 01:57 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:
> Jer, I assume you were trying to make Giardeneira, correct?
>
> Yes, some do use a vinegar bath first, but for two days ought to make
> that a real vinegary mess.
>
> It may have possibly been the Cauliflower that caused the pepper mix to
> cloud?
>
> I make Giardeneira when I can get decent peppers (Sport-Green
> Cayenne-Finger-Hots), and living here in NM, that is almost never,
> believe it or not, unless I grow them myself. All you see here is
> Jalapeno, Serrano, and new Mexican Big Jims, and none of these I feel
> are suitable.
>
> This is what I use, and do, when I make Giardeneira:
> First, if you clean-wash the peppers (Cayenne-Sport-Fingerhot), you must
> make sure they are totally dry.
> A 1/3-1/2 lb of peppers makes a ton!
> 3 Stalks of Fresh Celery, washed, and thoroughly dry. One small 7oz jar
> of small Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, drained, and dried as much as
> possible on a few paper towels (Save the Juice for Dirty Martinis!)
> Two heaping Tablespoons of Capers in Brine, and also drained-dried on
> Paper Towels.
>
> Chop Peppers into 5/16" slices, discarding the tops-stems, slice celery
> into small slices, throw in a large Stainless Steel, or Glass Bowl, add
> the Olives whole, add the Capers, and take a large bottle of either
> Canola, or Vegetable Oil, and pour over the mixture, making sure that
> the mix is totally immersed by the oil.
>
> Store in a cool place, cover with aluminum foil. Every day for a week,
> check, and make sure the mix remains submersed in the oil, and push down
> any floaters with a spoon.
>
> After one week of sitting, you may take this mixture, spoon into jars,
> and make sure you leave a good 1/2" of oil at the top to keep the mix
> submersed while stored.
>
> You may then cap the mixture without worry of any explosive mishaps.
> Store in a cool cupboard, and within 3-4 weeks, this mixture will be
> ready to eat, and the peppers-celery won't be hard as rocks.
>
> Shelf life is easily one year, or more, and the oil will take on an
> Olive Oil Flavor. The amount of brine-salt from the Olives-Capers is
> enough to flavor the mix, adequately without being horribly vinegary.
>
> Beautiful on Pasta, Sandwiches, etc, and I have never, I repeat NEVER
> gotten sick using this recipe. There's no need to boil-vacuum pack,
> provided you use the oil bath to preserve this.
>
> No doubt even your recipe would work better without boiling. The
> Vinegar Bath, and the immersion in Oil should be enough. Mark

Very dangerous recipe, in my opinion.

Bob

Mark D 23-03-2006 02:15 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Well Bob, Your 100% wrong.
It is not dangerous. In the absence of air, no spoilage occurs.

Here's another oil preserving method I'll tell you about. I have a
friend who lives in Chicago (Italian from the old country)
Every winter, he makes 120-150lbs of Italian Sausage, Capocollo.and
Supresata Salamies.

Know what he does with it all? He dries it. Well, naturally he cannot
eat 140lbs of pork sausage, etc when this sausage is at the correct
dryness, and is ready to eat.(well actually about 75lbs, as it loses
just about 1/2 its weight)

Know what he does with much of it? He jars much of this sausage
immersed in Oil. Evidently a method that has been known for 100's of
years, and I've had it, and also never gotten sick.

Nothing is vacuum packed, boiled, nada.

The previous recipe I listed works, and works very good. mark

ellen wickberg 23-03-2006 02:33 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:
> Well Bob, Your 100% wrong.
> It is not dangerous. In the absence of air, no spoilage occurs.
>
> Here's another oil preserving method I'll tell you about. I have a
> friend who lives in Chicago (Italian from the old country)
> Every winter, he makes 120-150lbs of Italian Sausage, Capocollo.and
> Supresata Salamies.
>
> Know what he does with it all? He dries it. Well, naturally he cannot
> eat 140lbs of pork sausage, etc when this sausage is at the correct
> dryness, and is ready to eat.(well actually about 75lbs, as it loses
> just about 1/2 its weight)
>
> Know what he does with much of it? He jars much of this sausage
> immersed in Oil. Evidently a method that has been known for 100's of
> years, and I've had it, and also never gotten sick.
>
> Nothing is vacuum packed, boiled, nada.
>
> The previous recipe I listed works, and works very good. mark

In the absence of air a certain kind of deadly spoilage could occur. It
is botulism. No evidence( bubbling, smelling , etc.) would be evident,
but you could die. Botulism is extremely rare, but since it gives no
warning signs, it hardly seems worth risking its growth. Botulism only
can grow if you are successful in making sure that there is no oxygen
present. If you are not concerned about your own risk you probably
shoiuld not offer this potentially deadly mixture to others.
Ellen

Reg[_1_] 23-03-2006 02:51 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:

> Well Bob, Your 100% wrong.
> It is not dangerous. In the absence of air, no spoilage occurs.
>
> Here's another oil preserving method I'll tell you about. I have a
> friend who lives in Chicago (Italian from the old country)
> Every winter, he makes 120-150lbs of Italian Sausage, Capocollo.and
> Supresata Salamies.
>
> Know what he does with it all? He dries it. Well, naturally he cannot
> eat 140lbs of pork sausage, etc when this sausage is at the correct
> dryness, and is ready to eat.(well actually about 75lbs, as it loses
> just about 1/2 its weight)
>
> Know what he does with much of it? He jars much of this sausage
> immersed in Oil. Evidently a method that has been known for 100's of
> years, and I've had it, and also never gotten sick.
>
> Nothing is vacuum packed, boiled, nada.
>
> The previous recipe I listed works, and works very good. mark

Mark,

Dried meat stored in oil, or any dried product for that matter,
won't spoil because of the fact that it's it's dried, not because
of the oil.

Botulism requires moisture to survive. It needs a water activity
level of at least 0.93. Dry cured sausage is well below that level,
fresh peppers are not.

See table 3-3
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/ift4-3.html

There's no such thing as an "oil preserving" method. The sausage
is preserved by curing and drying, not by immersing in oil.

--
Reg

Geoffrey S. Mendelson 23-03-2006 07:21 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Reg wrote:

> There's no such thing as an "oil preserving" method. The sausage
> is preserved by curing and drying, not by immersing in oil.

Yes. It is stored in oil. The oil (or more likley the jars) keep vermin out
such as bugs, rodents, teenagers, etc. You would be surprised how much salami
a hungry teenager will eat. :-)

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Brian Mailman[_1_] 23-03-2006 08:07 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:
> Well Bob, Your 100% wrong.
> It is not dangerous. In the absence of air, no spoilage occurs.

You may wish to google "botulism" and reponder your assertion.

If you decide not to, let us know so we can nominate you for a Darwin Award.

B/

Geoffrey S. Mendelson 23-03-2006 10:51 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Brian Mailman wrote:

> You may wish to google "botulism" and reponder your assertion.
>
> If you decide not to, let us know so we can nominate you for a Darwin Award.

Since we really don't know what the original poster's friend does, then
we can't be sure. For example, if he were to wipe down the sausages with
grain alcohol or brandy, put them in sterilized jars, pour 160F or
hotter oil on them to the top, seal them, and hide them in a dark corner
of a 50F or colder basement, they they probably are safe.

Taking sausages down from the rack where they have been exposed to airborne
bacteria and mould, putting them in "clean" but not sterile jars, covering them
with unsterile oil and leaving the jars at room temp (65F or warmer) is
likley to produce some undesired results.

But in either case, the preservation of the sausages was due to curing and
drying, the rest of it is safe storage.

It is not IMHO much different than putting the dried (but unwiped) sausages
into a plastic bag from an open package, removing the air from the bag and heat
sealing it.

Bob (this one) 23-03-2006 01:34 PM

Canning peppers in oil

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>>You may wish to google "botulism" and reponder your assertion.
>>
>>If you decide not to, let us know so we can nominate you for a Darwin Award.

> Since we really don't know what the original poster's friend does, then
> we can't be sure. For example, if he were to wipe down the sausages with
> grain alcohol or brandy, put them in sterilized jars, pour 160F or
> hotter oil on them to the top, seal them, and hide them in a dark corner
> of a 50F or colder basement, they they probably are safe.

Sorry. No, they aren't a sure thing. Spores of C. botulinum aren't
killed until about 240F, and that's a frying temperature. There will be
airborne spores, bacteria, yeasts, etc. everywhere. It's an anaerobic
environment in the oil.

> Taking sausages down from the rack where they have been exposed to airborne
> bacteria and mould, putting them in "clean" but not sterile jars, covering them
> with unsterile oil and leaving the jars at room temp (65F or warmer) is
> likley to produce some undesired results.
>
> But in either case, the preservation of the sausages was due to curing and
> drying, the rest of it is safe storage.
>
> It is not IMHO much different than putting the dried (but unwiped) sausages
> into a plastic bag from an open package, removing the air from the bag and heat
> sealing it.

It's very different. The oil creates a fully anaerobic environment.
Vacuum sealing a bag doesn't get too close to being anaerobic.

The odds are small that pathogens will flourish. But just once changes
everyone's life. Not for the better.

Pastorio

Reg[_1_] 23-03-2006 09:09 PM

Canning peppers in oil

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>

>>There's no such thing as an "oil preserving" method. The sausage
>>is preserved by curing and drying, not by immersing in oil.

> Yes. It is stored in oil. The oil (or more likley the jars) keep vermin out
> such as bugs, rodents, teenagers, etc. You would be surprised how much salami
> a hungry teenager will eat. :-)

While that's technically incorrect, it's a harmless misconception.
There's no botulism risk in the case of dry cured meat. It's already
adequately preserved.

In the case of fresh peppers, the oil does introduce some
risk. High PH, high water activity level, low oxygen environment
equals botulism risk.

<http://www.colostate.edu/Orgs/safefood/NEWSLTR/v2n4s08.html>

--
Reg

Mark D 23-03-2006 09:46 PM

Canning peppers in oil

Well thank you Brian for "The Darwin Award"! :-)

Certainly nothing worth getting arrogant-excited over, as I'll agree
with all other posters, if they think it is a chancey risk to make, then
please by all means don't.

I certainly wouldn't want to give people unhealthy, or health risky
advice-recipes.

Honestly though, I've made this recipe I earlier posted for years, never
had a problem, never got sick, and it's always been good. Perhaps the
acidic level provided by the Olives, and Capers were high enough to
prevent any nasties?

I do know, and do understand most who make giardeniera will do a vinegar
bath first to the pepper mix first.

I myself though am not a lover of a Giardeneira mix that is so
sharp-acidy-salty, it takes the skin off the roof of your mouth. Mark

Bob (this one) 24-03-2006 12:02 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:

> Honestly though, I've made this recipe I earlier posted for years, never
> had a problem, never got sick, and it's always been good. Perhaps the
> acidic level provided by the Olives, and Capers were high enough to
> prevent any nasties?

Likely not. More likely that you've just been very lucky. With botulism,
you only get *one* problem. Botulism doesn't just make you get sick. A
mild case leaves you crippled. A slightly heavier one kills. No flavor,
no smell, no bubbles... no sign of the deadly contamination. When you
start hallucinating kiss your ass goodbye.

The wonderful thing about this country is that you can do pretty much
anything you want to with your food. Friday? Sorry. Can't make it.

> I do know, and do understand most who make giardeniera will do a vinegar
> bath first to the pepper mix first.
>
> I myself though am not a lover of a Giardeneira mix that is so
> sharp-acidy-salty, it takes the skin off the roof of your mouth. Mark

Italian giardiniera is brine-pickled vegetables. Not oil-packed. If
bottled, home cooks may put a tablespoon or two of olive oil to float on
top of the vinegar, purely as a condiment. But the veggies aren't in the
oil.

Here's what Kyle Phillips (a very good food writer) says:
<http://italianfood.about.com/od/veggieantipasti/r/blr1359.htm>

The Crinella family recipe:
<http://www.crinellawinery.com/cookbook/pages/giardiniera.shtml>

Pastorio

Brian Mailman[_1_] 24-03-2006 02:08 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:

> Well thank you Brian for "The Darwin Award"! :-)

Not mine to give or award. Just saying you may earn yourself a
nomination. Unfortunately, the nominees are never aware of the honor.

> Honestly though, I've made this recipe I earlier posted for years, never
> had a problem, never got sick, and it's always been good.

Well, now you've also learned that statistics only apply to groups, and
not individuals.

B/

Bob (this one) 24-03-2006 10:00 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Mark D wrote:
>
>> Well thank you Brian for "The Darwin Award"! :-)

> Not mine to give or award. Just saying you may earn yourself a
> nomination. Unfortunately, the nominees are never aware of the honor.
>
>> Honestly though, I've made this recipe I earlier posted for years, never
>> had a problem, never got sick, and it's always been good.

> Well, now you've also learned that statistics only apply to groups, and
> not individuals.

<LOL>

Pastorio

Brian Mailman[_1_] 25-03-2006 12:37 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> Mark D wrote:

>>> Honestly though, I've made this recipe I earlier posted for years, never
>>> had a problem, never got sick, and it's always been good.

>> Well, now you've also learned that statistics only apply to groups, and
>> not individuals.

> <LOL>

<ratzo>I'm SERIOUS here, I'm SERIOUS!</ratzo> ... it's the same factoid
with the "my Aunt Bessie smoked 3 packs a day for all her adult life and
she lived to be 94" (well, one of my great-great-grandfathers never
smoked and died at the age of 102 when he fell out of a cherry tree.) or
"my grandfather ate a healthy breakfast of 4 eggs, sausage, bacon, and
toast slathered with butter every day and never ever had any kind of
heart trouble."

Mark D 25-03-2006 09:31 PM

Canning peppers in oil

ratzo>I'm SERIOUS here, I'm SERIOUS!</ratzo> ... it's the same factoid
with the "my Aunt Bessie smoked 3 packs a day for all her adult life and
she lived to be 94" (well, one of my great-great-grandfathers never
smoked and died at the age of 102 when he fell out of a cherry tree.) or
"my grandfather ate a healthy breakfast of 4 eggs, sausage, bacon, and
toast slathered with butter every day and never ever had any kind of
heart trouble."
======================================

My, you're a real piece of work, aren't you?

ellen wickberg 26-03-2006 02:19 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Reg wrote:
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:
>>

>>> There's no such thing as an "oil preserving" method. The sausage
>>> is preserved by curing and drying, not by immersing in oil.

>> Yes. It is stored in oil. The oil (or more likley the jars) keep
>> vermin out
>> such as bugs, rodents, teenagers, etc. You would be surprised how much
>> salami
>> a hungry teenager will eat. :-)

> While that's technically incorrect, it's a harmless misconception.
> There's no botulism risk in the case of dry cured meat. It's already
> adequately preserved.
>
> In the case of fresh peppers, the oil does introduce some
> risk. High PH, high water activity level, low oxygen environment
> equals botulism risk.
>
> <http://www.colostate.edu/Orgs/safefood/NEWSLTR/v2n4s08.html>

The origin of the word botulism is from either Latin or Italian for
sausage. How do you suppose that happened ?
Ellen

Reg[_1_] 26-03-2006 02:47 AM

Canning peppers in oil

ellen wickberg wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>> While that's technically incorrect, it's a harmless misconception.
>> There's no botulism risk in the case of dry cured meat. It's already
>> adequately preserved.
>>
>> In the case of fresh peppers, the oil does introduce some
>> risk. High PH, high water activity level, low oxygen environment
>> equals botulism risk.
>>
>> <http://www.colostate.edu/Orgs/safefood/NEWSLTR/v2n4s08.html>
>>

> The origin of the word botulism is from either Latin or Italian for
> sausage. How do you suppose that happened ?
> Ellen

It would appear you don't understand the difference between
fresh sausage and dry cured as it applies here. In this case,
there's a full 50% reduction in green weight.

See my post upthread about water activity.

--
Reg

Jer[_1_] 27-03-2006 05:27 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Thanks Mark, this is exactly what I was trying to do.

zxcvbob 27-03-2006 05:31 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Jer wrote:
> Thanks Mark, this is exactly what I was trying to do.

Have you paid attention to anything we've said about botulism?

Best regards,
Bob

Mark D 28-03-2006 04:45 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Have you paid attention to anything we've said about botulism?
Best regards,
Bob
======================================Howdy Bob, Is it I you are
addressing this question to?

If so, sure, I paid very close attention, and for yesterday's (Sunday's)
dinner, what did I make, was Penne, with my own homemade Italian Sausage
in sauce, and some of my delicious Hot Pepper Giardeneria Mix smothered
on top.

As I thought of you all, I gleefully added another heaping TBSP of
peppers.

I'm still alive. and kicking, and will I discontinue making this?....
nope, I'm afraid not.

I'm not trying to be mean with this response, and I do agree with what
others have said, that this homemade concoction should perhaps not even
be tried by others. As I said earlier, I definitely wouldn't want anyone
to get deathly sick, or die from some ill advice I have given.
Best then to stick with tried, and true methods, or commercial brands
known to be safe.
Bon Apetite, Mark

zxcvbob 28-03-2006 05:17 AM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:
> Have you paid attention to anything we've said about botulism?
> Best regards,
> Bob
> ======================================Howdy Bob, Is it I you are
> addressing this question to?
>
> If so, sure, I paid very close attention, and for yesterday's (Sunday's)
> dinner, what did I make, was Penne, with my own homemade Italian Sausage
> in sauce, and some of my delicious Hot Pepper Giardeneria Mix smothered
> on top.
>
> As I thought of you all, I gleefully added another heaping TBSP of
> peppers.
>
> I'm still alive. and kicking, and will I discontinue making this?....
> nope, I'm afraid not.

No, actually I was addressing Jer.

I assume you're an adult and have made your own informed (ill-informed?)
decision. Maybe your luck will hold out, maybe it won't. I'm more
concerned about Jer following your dangerous advice. I'd hate to have
someone die (or worse) because of something he read in this group.

Lest you think I'm a paranoid Nervous Nellie, I make my own salami. It
is fermented at room temperature, hanged to dried, and eventually eaten
raw. But I cure it with nitrites and acidifying bacteria cultures to
keep it from going toxic. Doing things safely is part of the art.

Best regards,
Bob

Bob (this one) 28-03-2006 03:13 PM

Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:
> Have you paid attention to anything we've said about botulism? Best
> regards, Bob ======================================

> Howdy Bob, Is it I you are addressing this question to?
>
> If so, sure, I paid very close attention, and for yesterday's
> (Sunday's) dinner, what did I make, was Penne, with my own homemade
> Italian Sausage in sauce, and some of my delicious Hot Pepper
> Giardeneria

"Giardino" means garden in Italian. "Giardiniera" is the mixed *pickled*
products of the garden. The garden is tended by a "giardiniere."

That would be "jar-dee-noh" and "jar-deen-yer-ah" and "jar-deen-yer-eh."

Pronounce it correctly so the other victims know what to tell the
police. Spell it correctly on the bottles so the coroner will have it
right.

Oh, stupid insolence and smug superciliousness are largely considered
unattractive habits. Look at you, a two-time, um, winner.

Pastorio