Health Pressure cooker/canner

Old 24-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Meg
Usenet poster

Default Health Pressure cooker/canner

Greetings,

I just purchased a Health Pressure Cooker model #22 & made in Peoria,
IL by the National Aluminum Manufacturing Company. From the limited
info I found on Google, it was probably made in the late 40's or early
50's..

If you go to http://ebay.com & type in 2380856056 in the search you
will see the canner I bought & this might help you recgonize it.

There's no instructions to go with it and I'm not sure exactly how to
work this specific one. All the pressure cookers/canners I've seen
have the rocking top to maintain a desired pressure. This one has a
pressure gage and pressure relief valve located on the lid but nothing
else I can see on the photo and the seller knows nothing about how to
calibrate it or use it.

Any information on this one anyone?

Thank you!

Cheers,

Meg
Old 24-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Meg
Usenet poster

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:40:18 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:46:16 GMT, Meg
wrote:

Greetings,

I just purchased a Health Pressure Cooker model #22 & made in Peoria,
IL by the National Aluminum Manufacturing Company. From the limited
info I found on Google, it was probably made in the late 40's or early
50's..

If you go to
http://ebay.com & type in 2380856056 in the search you
will see the canner I bought & this might help you recgonize it.

There's no instructions to go with it and I'm not sure exactly how to
work this specific one. All the pressure cookers/canners I've seen
have the rocking top to maintain a desired pressure. This one has a
pressure gage and pressure relief valve located on the lid but nothing
else I can see on the photo and the seller knows nothing about how to
calibrate it or use it.

Any information on this one anyone?

Lots of pressure cooker/canner info he

http://www.missvickie.com

Miss Vickie says this about Health (which isn't going to
help you): "Out of business with no available source or
service." But at least maybe it will save you some
fruitless searching.

I've never had a pressure canner (although I sure would like
one), so I can't help more than this.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for trying to find info on this for me. I've spent a couple of
hours trying all the searches I could think of to find info on this
one and I did find that link and another selling a cookbook from the
company dated 1944.

I'm hoping I'll find someone who has one of these and knows how to use
iy so they can guide me. I've never used a cooker/canner without one
of the weighted rockers being used for pressure/temperature control.

Thanks for trying.

Meg
Old 24-02-2004, 02:54 PM
The Cook
Usenet poster

Meg wrote:

[...]

Presto and American Harvest pressure cookers both use the gauges. If
you can get one of their instruction books, you can get the basic
information. Many county extension offices can calibrate the gauge.
I cannot find the link for the USDA canning pages in my list right now
but FAQ for this newsgroup should have the link.

I am afraid that getting parts for the cooker will be your biggest
problem.

Good luck with your search.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 24-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Meg
Usenet poster

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:54:51 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

Meg wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this added info.

I don't have it yet but it's a 1-2 day ship from where it's at to
here. Looking at the photos it seems to be in really good condition
and there is probably nothing wrong with it.

A good friend makes clocks and tables from metal and wood and has
pretty much a complete machine shop. Likely most anything needing
repair I could just take there and he could manufacture what's needed
pretty easily. He said if I needed a funny shaped gasket I could get
what I need from an auto parts store or a supply house called Berry
Bearing as they have all sorts of gaskets available for the industrial
market.

I'm hoping it's ready to go. The ad said the gasket looks good.

All I need to know is how to use it. I'll contact the extension office
& see about calibration.

Thanks,

Meg
Old 24-02-2004, 05:59 PM
George Shirley
Usenet poster

wrote:

Meg wrote:

[...]

Odds are your canner uses the same steam pressure gauge, safety pop off
and gasket as the National Presto canners did. Go to this site once you
get the canner in hand and check for the needed parts. IIRC all the
gauges had the same diameter and grade of thread where they go into the
lid. Most of the rubber safety pop offs are the same size, as are many
of the gaskets, based on the diameter of the lid, etc. Don't know about
what your're calling a relief valve as I couldn't see it well enough on
the picture at eBay. Try this URL:
http://www.wisementrading.com/canning/canners.htm

George

Old 24-02-2004, 06:12 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Meg wrote:

[...]

You'll need to get the gage tested and calibrated (or replaced, if
necessary). The canner looks just fine, as long as it's not cracked
anywhere, and you don't need a gasket.

When you eventually do need a gasket, see if a Mirro or Presto 22 qt
canner gasket will fit.

Don't put any oil on the gasket! If it seems brittle when you get it,
spray it with silicone spray.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 24-02-2004, 06:24 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

George Shirley wrote:

Odds are your canner uses the same steam pressure gauge, safety pop off
and gasket as the National Presto canners did. Go to this site once you
get the canner in hand and check for the needed parts. IIRC all the
gauges had the same diameter and grade of thread where they go into the
lid. Most of the rubber safety pop offs are the same size, as are many
of the gaskets, based on the diameter of the lid, etc. Don't know about
what your're calling a relief valve as I couldn't see it well enough on
the picture at eBay. Try this URL:
http://www.wisementrading.com/canning/canners.htm

George

It looked to me like it has a metal popoff valve rather than a rubber
plug. (it should probably be tested too.) My mom's old canner has one,
and you open it to vent the canner for a few minutes and exhaust the air
before you let it build pressure. If you forget to watch the gauge,
it's supposed to open and release the pressure before the canner blows up.

I would rather have a metal popoff valve than a rubber plug on a canner.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 24-02-2004, 07:34 PM
George Shirley
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote:

George Shirley wrote:

[...]

Looking at the picture on eBay there seems to be a standard Presto
rubber blow out piece on the lid. That's the one that has the metal
piece that pops up when the pressure is going right not the little
rubber dinky thing on pressure cookers of olden times.

My 40 yo Sears and Roebuck canner has a pressure gauge, a jiggler (set
at 15 lbs) and the rubber thingy I just told you about. All have their
purposes.

George

Old 25-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Loki
Usenet poster

wrote:

[...]

Try the libraries. My book that mentions pressure canning says to
check any pressure gauges against a master gauge. And that probably
goes double for an antique. Do not immerse the dial in water.

The book I got the info from may help you, it's Putting Food By. 2nd
ed./ by Ruth Hertzberg etc. Stephen Greene Press: brattleford
(vermont) 1975 pp 41-48
--
Cheers,

Old 26-02-2004, 06:34 PM
James Cooper
Usenet poster

Hi Meg,

What a great price! Maybe wait until it gets there before worrying
about parts as it might not need any. Looking at the picture of the
lid, what you have there is a gauge, rubber safety plug, and
National's pressure regulator device. I borrowed a national canner
once that had one of these. It has a little lever on top that you flip
up for open and down for closed. It does the exact same job as the
familiar rocker setup except it uses an internal spring instead of a
weight and is a lot harder to misplace on canning day. Do a thorough
inspect parts that hold the lid on. As xcvbob says, don't put oil on
the gasket, to which I would add, don't remove the gasket for
inspection or you will likely have to replace it. If you decide to
test it by putting an inch of water in the bottom and bringing it up
to pressure, let it vent for 10 minutes before you flip the lever
down, just as you would during a normal canning run. With the little
lever down it should start venting when it reaches 15 lbs pressure.
Best Regards,
James

Old 27-02-2004, 02:26 AM
Meg
Usenet poster

I'd like to thank you all for the wonderful advice. I just got the
canner in today and wouldn't you know it but the shipper didn't pack
it well and put the gauge right against the cardboard box. The box
must have been dropped on side during shipping because all the glass
that was in the gauge came out when I opened the box.

It was packed very well with peanuts but not double boxed so it ended
up being damaged badly. I suspect the gauge still works well as
without the glass it started to move as pressure was developed inside
but I'll still have to find another gauge to replace it. The writing
on the top of the gauge was crushed & though I flattened it out, the
paint the writing was on is chipped off & gone forever.

The nice thing about this gauge is that it was set back at an angle so
you could look at the value without bending over. If I get some new
replacement gauge from somewhere (the canner's company is well out of
business) it will be straight vertical and to read it I will have to
bend over to do so.

Really irritating.

So important to box properly when you ship. This beautiful canner went
56 years intact until this week...

Meg

Old 29-02-2004, 08:31 AM
BCHUKB
Usenet poster

Your County Home Economist can test the guage and tell you how to use it.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:45 PM
James Cooper
Usenet poster

Meg wrote in message . ..
On 29 Feb 2004 07:31:42 GMT, (BCHUKB) wrote:

Your County Home Economist can test the guage and tell you how to use it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I need to find a convex 2" glass gauge
cover before I do that. I'm concerned if I put the cover on after it's
tested, I may change the reading on the gauge. I'd rather take it in
to test when it's in final condition.

So far I haven't found any 2" convex glass dial glass, I'll look in
the flea markets.

The glass is basically just a dust cover. If the guage is working
properly, removing or reinstalling the glass should have no effect on
the reading. It's more important to not let water flow into the guage
when you wash the underside of the lid. Do not unscrew the guage from
the lid unless absolutely neccessary. This is because the guage pipe
is stainless steel and the lid is aluminum. It's so easy to
cross-thread this putting it back on and the stainless steel cuts
through the soft aluminum threads like butter = start looking for a
new canner. Perhaps someone knows why these guages even need to be
calibrated as they have nothing to do with regulating pressure and
seem to only be good as a warning in case the pressure climbs too high
allowing one to turn off the heat and take cover, preferably in an
adjacent building, while it cools down. Having the pressure regulator
calibrated, or both the guage and regulator, would make more sense.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
George Shirley
Usenet poster

James Cooper wrote:
Meg wrote in message . ..

[...]

On many canners, specifically the one from Sears that I use, the gauge
is used to determine the pressure that one will process the food at.
Mine has a "jiggler" just as a safety, ie it will jiggle at 17 lbs psig.
There is also a "blow out" port in the middle of the lid that is rubber
with a stainless middle port that moves. When the stainless middle part
comes upright the canner has positive steam pressure. Air is vented
through the port where the weighted jiggler sits and when a steam flow
is established for a few minutes one puts the jiggler on the port. From
this point on you are regulating heat by increasing or decreasing the
burner until you reach the processing point, in most cases 11 psig. That
pressure is then held by manipulating the heat control to stay at the 11
psig mark. As a consequence and to ensure an accurate gauge it should be
calibrated and reset at least annually and more often if it is in heavy
use.

Many county extension offices can arrange for this calibration or one
can find a gauge repair shop and pay them to do this job. Such shops are
generally in areas where hydrocarbon processing is the main heavy industry.

You are correct about the gauge glass though. While not absolutely
necessary it is used to a) keep the gauge face clean and readable; b)
keep the gauge arrow (pointer) from being manually manipulated or
damaged; c) prevents material from getting into the gauge and gumming up
the works.

There are many websites where one can buy new gauges, typically about
US$35.00 and where you can buy a replacement glass and/or face cover.

George