darkrats

Default Shelf life of canned goods . . . . .

When I was in the military, and got snowed in for three days, I recall
eating canned rations that had been stored for over10 years.

So I'm curious. What's the shelf life of canned goods (or sealed bottles).
Can I buy a supply of canned goods and still be comfortable eating them 5
years from now?

Any recommended websites about storing food?

Thanks.

darkrats

Dwayne

I cant answer your question, but I know that if stored properly they will
last longer. They should be stored in a dark, cool (60 - 65 degrees F)
place. My grandmother kept things until they were used or she needed the
jars for a new crop. As long as the food isn't getting discolored or look
like it is spoiling, you should be OK. After opening the jar, I always
smell it just to be on the safe side. Never had a problem. Hope this
helps.

Dwayne

"darkrats" > wrote in message
> When I was in the military, and got snowed in for three days, I recall
> eating canned rations that had been stored for over10 years.
>
> So I'm curious. What's the shelf life of canned goods (or sealed bottles).
> Can I buy a supply of canned goods and still be comfortable eating them 5
> years from now?
>
> Any recommended websites about storing food?
>

> Thanks.
>

> darkrats

Frogleg

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:43:29 GMT, "darkrats" >
wrote:

>When I was in the military, and got snowed in for three days, I recall
>eating canned rations that had been stored for over10 years.
>
>So I'm curious. What's the shelf life of canned goods (or sealed bottles).
>Can I buy a supply of canned goods and still be comfortable eating them 5
>years from now?

See:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/tc...shelflife.html

In a low-humidity environment, canned food can be 'safe' practically
forever, 'though may deteriorate over time in terms of taste. Will you
be "comfortable" eating it? That's your call. The rule is, "when in
doubt, throw it out." If you find an intact, non-corroded can of tuna
you remember buying 10 years ago, would you be happy eating/serving
it, or have serious doubts? It's probably fine, but not if it makes
you feel queasy to contemplate.

Of course, any can with corrosion or oddly bulging contours should be
discarded. Similarly, any food in glass that has obviously changed
appearance or has a corroded cap or seal.

>Any recommended websites about storing food?

Search on "food storage" Check survivalist newsgroups and sites.
Refrigeration retards, but does not eliminate, spoilage. Freezing
further slows many decay processes, but a freezer isn't a time-vault.

Canned Goods Cindi - HappyMamatoThree General Cooking 29 13-05-2008 07:03 PM
Another reason why canned goods are bad for (my) health... Chatty Cathy General Cooking 35 24-08-2007 06:43 AM
how to transport canned goods to enter in the fair Libby Preserving 4 12-08-2007 08:54 PM
Freezing canned goods. Jack Preserving 4 05-04-2007 11:25 PM
Canned Goods Tom Royer General Cooking 38 13-01-2004 11:15 PM