zxcvbob

Default Freezing advice ? Ziploc freezer bags have funky smell BEFOREuse!

anita wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am starting to try freezing my food and am running into problems.
>
> First I tried to put strawberries (for smoothies later) in ziploc
> freezer bags and it smelled funny and I found the cause to be the
> ziploc freezer bags. they have a very strong inorganic odor. I cannot
> bear the though of putting other kinds of food in it, which would make
> it worse!
>
> So now what do I do ?
>
> I am considering the following alternatives, please let me know what
> brands you recommend or I should stay away from...
>
> 1. Freezer paper ?
> 2. Freezer jars ?
> 3. Some kind of combination of plastic wrap (for solids ofcourse) used
> with freezer paper, I dont like this too much, unweildy.
> 4. A good source of freezer bags, as non-reactive and UNSMELLY as
> possible!
> 5. Ziploc freezer containers, but they dont have a seal and am sure
> will cause freezer burn even with plastic wrap around them.
>
> Thanks
> Anita

I really like "Bes-Pak" brand non-zipper freezer bags, but they have gotten
*very* hard to find in the past few years; I think the company was bought
out by Hefty. Bes-Pak also used to make coated paper freezer boxes, but I
don't think I've ever actually seen any.

White plastic freezer containers work well; I think they are made of
polyethylene without all the plasticizers that you smell in the bags. Also
you can use Cool-Whip containers. These don't protect whole berries
against freezer burn very well.

Freezer paper is my favorite for wrapping meat, but I don't know how you
would wrap strawberries in it. Maybe if you chopped them first and froze
in little blocks.

Best regards,
Bob
Derric

> Freezer paper is my favorite for wrapping meat, but I don't know how you
> would wrap strawberries in it. Maybe if you chopped them first and froze
> in little blocks.

Interesting... I saw an Good Eats episode recently where he froze
strawberries. He froze them quickly by chilling them in the fridge and
then putting them into a cooler with some dry ice. They were little
hard rocks when they came out. You could easily wrap them in paper or
anything else. He maintained that the quick freeze with dry ice kept
them from becoming so mushy/slushy when thawed.