bassboat

Default Pickled Northern Pike & Herring

Hi group,
Does anybody have a favorite recipe they would like to share for pickling
Northern Pike or Herring? TIA
John

pickle

"bassboat" <basboatjon@mwci-news> wrote in message
> Hi group,
> Does anybody have a favorite recipe they would like to share for

pickling
> Northern Pike or Herring? TIA
> John
>
> Hello:

I tried the receipe from Joy Of Pickling but found that the herring came out
too soft in comparisin to the commerical brand. There must be some
chemical/s that the commerical companies use to stiffen the texture of the
herring pieces. Any suggestions - alum ??

pickle king

pheasant

"bassboat" <basboatjon@mwci-news> wrote in message
> Hi group,
> Does anybody have a favorite recipe they would like to share for

pickling
> Northern Pike or Herring? TIA

Hope this makes it to the original poster.
Mark
--
The world's least questioned excuse for missing work....
"the voices in my head told me to stay home and clean guns today".

Attached Files
File Type: txt pickled fish.txt (1.0 KB, 229 views)
Connie TenClay

Here is a recipe that I have used to make pickled fish with. I often
use the northern that way I don't have to worry about all of the bones
as pickling disolves them. I have also used pretty much any kind of
fresh water fish that we catch, except bullheads since they have a
different type of meat.

Pickled fish
Fillet out fish and cut into bite size pieces, skin need to be taken off
otherwise it will get tough.
Fill jar wand pack loosely. Add 5/8 cup salt to 1 qt of fish. Cover
with white vinegar. Let stand in refrigerater for 5 days. Shake or
stir each day, to mix in the salt. (jar should be plastic or glass, I
use a plastic ice cream bucketit holds about 5 qts.)
After 5 days
Drain saltly vinegar off, and rince the fish with cold water for 10 min.
Place in clean jar alternating layers of fish and raw onion rings.
Cover with vinegar pickle : Vinegar mixture
Bring to boil:
1 qt white vinegar
3 cup sugar
1/8 to 1/4 cup pickling spice
Cool
Make as batches of vinegar mixture as needed to cover the amount of fish
you are makeing.

Keep in refrigerator. they are ready to eat in 36 hors. The longer
they set the better they are. I make an ice cream bucket full at a time
and they last for a couple of years in the refrigerator.

--
Connie TenClay NATA 252
http://home.new.rr.com/tenclay/connie

pickled herring Meye5 Preserving 3 27-07-2005 03:38 AM
pickled herring Meye5 Preserving 0 26-07-2005 11:22 PM
pickled herring Meye5 Preserving 0 26-07-2005 11:22 PM
Pickled herring cb Preserving 2 16-03-2004 08:56 AM