old turnips

Old 05-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Eric Deaver
Usenet poster

Default old turnips

Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
season. Is there anything I can do with them? Any soup I can freeze?

Eric
Old 05-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Peggy
Usenet poster

Eric Deaver wrote:
Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
season. Is there anything I can do with them? Any soup I can freeze?

Eric

Ever thought of starting a turnip-bowling league?
Peg

Old 05-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Gary Woods
Usenet poster

Eric Deaver wrote:

Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
season. Is there anything I can do with them?

Have you eaten one to see what they might be suitable for? If they're
decent, I vote for steaming/mashing/freezing. If not, there's always soup
base. I've got a couple of plastic milk jugs almost full of rapini
blanching liquor in the freezer, for winter "what have I got lying around"
soups. Beans, onions, curry, and leftover mystery meat are likely
additives.

Old 05-11-2003, 05:11 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Eric Deaver wrote:

Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
season. Is there anything I can do with them? Any soup I can freeze?

Eric

How about shredding them and making a form of sauerkraut? (actually I
think there's a name for it -- "sauerruben")

Bob

Old 05-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Gary Woods
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote:

How about shredding them and making a form of sauerkraut?

Now that I think of it, there's a version of Kim Chi that I'm very fond of
that uses cubed turnips. Again, it would depend on the texture I guess.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:46 AM
The Joneses
Usenet poster

Eric Deaver wrote:

Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
season. Is there anything I can do with them? Any soup I can freeze?

Eric

I used spring turnips, but I made a batch of White Wine Pickled Turnips
(tastes like Red Wine Pickled Beets only not). If I remember, I used
decent Riesling white wine, white wine vinegar, sugar, fresh ginger, salt,

and coriander seed to the same recipe as wine pickled beets in Joy of
Pickling. They are interesting, but I'll not do them again, not with them

pickled beets in the house.
Seems to me I've heard of turnip wine....
Edrena

Old 06-11-2003, 04:11 PM
George Shirley
Usenet poster

The Joneses wrote:

Eric Deaver wrote:

Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
season. Is there anything I can do with them? Any soup I can freeze?

Eric

I used spring turnips, but I made a batch of White Wine Pickled Turnips
(tastes like Red Wine Pickled Beets only not). If I remember, I used
decent Riesling white wine, white wine vinegar, sugar, fresh ginger, salt,

and coriander seed to the same recipe as wine pickled beets in Joy of
Pickling. They are interesting, but I'll not do them again, not with them

pickled beets in the house.
Seems to me I've heard of turnip wine....
Edrena

Down here we feed turnips to the hogs, if'n they'll eat them. Otherwise
the turnip termites will get them. Yuck!

George

Old 06-11-2003, 05:36 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

George Shirley wrote:
Down here we feed turnips to the hogs, if'n they'll eat them. Otherwise
the turnip termites will get them. Yuck!

George

They're pretty good to peel, cube, and boil or steam. Then serve 'em
without saying anything and let folks mistake them for potatoes. I
always get a chuckle out of that one. ;-) Old big turnips should work
particularly well...

Best regards,
Bob

Old 06-11-2003, 05:59 PM
George Shirley
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote:

George Shirley wrote:

Down here we feed turnips to the hogs, if'n they'll eat them.
Otherwise the turnip termites will get them. Yuck!

George

They're pretty good to peel, cube, and boil or steam. Then serve 'em
without saying anything and let folks mistake them for potatoes. I
always get a chuckle out of that one. ;-) Old big turnips should work
particularly well...

Best regards,
Bob

How in the world could anyone with a nose or taste buds mistake a turnip
for a tater? Boy, you been living in Southern Canada too long, you need
to move back to Texas and get readjusted. My folks were so poor they
couldn't pay attention when they were kids but they swore they never ate
a turnip, would rather go hungry. Well, they might have eaten one if
they had ever run out of possums, coons, rabbits, and armadillos. VBG

I ate a piece of pickled turnip by mistake once upon a time and burped
for a week.

George

Old 24-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Marie Martinek
Usenet poster

In article , Gary Woods wrote:
Eric Deaver wrote:

Ok, I have a bunch of BIG turnips that have been in the ground all
season. Is there anything I can do with them?

Have you eaten one to see what they might be suitable for? If they're
decent, I vote for steaming/mashing/freezing. If not, there's always soup
base. I've got a couple of plastic milk jugs almost full of rapini
blanching liquor in the freezer, for winter "what have I got lying around"
soups. Beans, onions, curry, and leftover mystery meat are likely
additives.

If they're truly huge, they might be "woody", so I would definitely try
cubing & cooking one up and tasting it. If it has you picking strings out
of your teeth, try running it through a food mill, and taste it again.

If they're OK as cubes, (pressure) can them as cubes and put them in stews.

If they're OK as puree, freeze it and use it as stew base (you can also
sneak it into soup and gravy)

--
Marie Martinek
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA