PH of Lime Juice

Old 23-02-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default PH of Lime Juice

Edrena said in another thread that lime juice has a lower pH than lemon
juice. Does anyone have a guide to the pH of both lemon and lime juice
relative to vinegar?

I have some salsa recipes that call for vinegar, but I think I'd like the
flavor of lime juice a little better. I once e-mailed the company that
makes RealLime and asked, and they couldn't help.

Also, I note that the BBB recipe for HWB canned tomatoes calls for a bit of
commercial lemon juice. I assume this is to assure you've got enough
acidity. Does this mean that lemon juice is standardized to a certain
acidity, the way vinegar is?

Anny

Old 23-02-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
Edrena said in another thread that lime juice has a lower pH than lemon
juice. Does anyone have a guide to the pH of both lemon and lime juice
relative to vinegar?

I have some salsa recipes that call for vinegar, but I think I'd like the
flavor of lime juice a little better. I once e-mailed the company that
makes RealLime and asked, and they couldn't help.

Also, I note that the BBB recipe for HWB canned tomatoes calls for a bit of
commercial lemon juice. I assume this is to assure you've got enough
acidity. Does this mean that lemon juice is standardized to a certain
acidity, the way vinegar is?

Anny

From http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

Lemon juice 2.0 - 2.6
Lime Juice 2.0 - 2.35
Vinegar 2.4 - 3.4
Vinegar, Cider 3.10

Old 23-02-2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Those numbers are so close together, it looks to me. But I don't know
from PH.

Wouldn't you want to choose between the ingredients based on taste of
your final recipe?

For me, I love lime in salsa, but cut back on volume if I am also
using fresh cilantro.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
ups.com...

From http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

Lemon juice 2.0 - 2.6
Lime Juice 2.0 - 2.35
Vinegar 2.4 - 3.4
Vinegar, Cider 3.10

Thanks, Greenie.

Now -- does anyone have a handy-dandy conversion formula? That is, if a
recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vinegar, how much line juice do I need to equal
the same acidity? If I just use 3/4 cup of commercial lime juice, the salsa
is too sour.

Anny
Whose high school chemistry classes were way too long ago to remember
anything helpful

Old 02-03-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

From http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

Lemon juice 2.0 - 2.6
Lime Juice 2.0 - 2.35
Vinegar 2.4 - 3.4
Vinegar, Cider 3.10

Thanks, Greenie.
Now -- does anyone have a handy-dandy conversion formula? That is, if a
recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vinegar, how much line juice do I need to equal
the same acidity? If I just use 3/4 cup of commercial lime juice, the salsa
is too sour.
Anny
Whose high school chemistry classes were way too long ago to remember
anything helpful

Howdy y'all, back from vacation.
I dunno the exact answer to this question, but I do know that acidity varies
from fruit to fruit based on when it was picked and how ripe & variety. I had
some limes that tested at below 1.0. Best to use test strips - I get mine from a
scientific equipment store for about $15 for 100. My friend's husband wanted to
use swimming pool test equipment, but it is not as sensitive and doesn't go
below 5.0. Not good enuf for us. To boiling water bath: 4.6 and below.
I read somewhere that for tomato sauce & salsa, the cook added 1 tablespoon
lemon juice per pint for safety. I have not tested this out though.
Edrena

Old 02-03-2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

From http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

Lemon juice 2.0 - 2.6
Lime Juice 2.0 - 2.35
Vinegar 2.4 - 3.4
Vinegar, Cider 3.10

Thanks, Greenie.

Now -- does anyone have a handy-dandy conversion formula? That is, if a
recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vinegar, how much line juice do I need to equal
the same acidity? If I just use 3/4 cup of commercial lime juice, the salsa
is too sour.

Anny
Whose high school chemistry classes were way too long ago to remember
anything helpful

If it doesn't offend you, one solution is to add some sugar to counter
to acid taste of the lime juice. It will not alter the acidity itself.
Ellen
Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

From http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

Lemon juice 2.0 - 2.6
Lime Juice 2.0 - 2.35
Vinegar 2.4 - 3.4
Vinegar, Cider 3.10

Thanks, Greenie.

Now -- does anyone have a handy-dandy conversion formula? That is, if a
recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vinegar, how much line juice do I need to equal
the same acidity? If I just use 3/4 cup of commercial lime juice, the salsa
is too sour.

Anny
Whose high school chemistry classes were way too long ago to remember
anything helpful

I think this link will give you what you want to know:-

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/papers/2004..._combined.html

They even compare vinegar, lemon and lime juice use is salsas

Old 03-03-2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

GreenieLeBrun wrote:

Anny Middon wrote:
Now -- does anyone have a handy-dandy conversion formula? That is, if a
recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vinegar, how much line juice do I need to equal
the same acidity? If I just use 3/4 cup of commercial lime juice, the salsa
is too sour.
Anny
Whose high school chemistry classes were way too long ago to remember
anything helpful

I think this link will give you what you want to know:-
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/papers/2004..._combined.html
They even compare vinegar, lemon and lime juice use is salsas

What a great site Anny! Printed out same for my copious files.
Edrena

Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
ups.com...

I think this link will give you what you want to know:-

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/papers/2004..._combined.html

They even compare vinegar, lemon and lime juice use is salsas

Thanks again, Greenie. I've bookmarked it for use next summer when I start
salsa production.

Anny

REC: Key Lime pie aem General Cooking 2 29-11-2005 06:53 PM
Pumpkin Corn Soup With Ginger Lime Cream Enigmatic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2004 01:40 AM
Key Lime Pies (2) Collection Johnson (Cayman Designs) Recipes (moderated) 0 05-03-2004 04:41 AM
Key Lime Pie MelissaT Baking 4 07-11-2003 06:55 PM
Key Lime cheesecake thinman Baking 9 30-10-2003 05:03 PM