zxcvbob

Default Crab apple pickles?

I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some thing
with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.

I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
what are they good for?

I also am thinking about steam-juicing them, with a handful of cranberries
for color, and making jelly.

I think 5 pounds is enough to try both, but I don't wanna make the pickles
if they are only good for sitting on the shelf looking pretty (and these
won't be as pretty as crabapples because they are tan instead of red)

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Crab Apple Pickles

2 quarts crab apples with stems (about 2.5 pounds)
2 sticks cinnamon
1.5 Tbsp whole allspice
1.5 Tbsp whole cloves
6 cups sugar
3 cups water
3 cups vinegar

Prick apples with a needle to prevent bursting. Tie spices in a spice bag.
Combine sugar, water, vinegar in large saucepot, add spice bag, and boil 5
minutes. Add apples one layer at a time, cooking gently until tender.
Remove apples and set in large boil. Bring liquid back to boil and ladle
over apples. Cover; let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Remove
spice bags and apples, pack apples into hot jars. Bring pickling liquid to
a boil. Ladle over apples leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps,
process pints and quarts 15 minutes in BWB. Yields about 6 pints or 3 quarts.

Anny Middon

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
> what are they good for?
>
> I also am thinking about steam-juicing them, with a handful of cranberries
> for color, and making jelly.
>
> I think 5 pounds is enough to try both, but I don't wanna make the pickles
> if they are only good for sitting on the shelf looking pretty (and these
> won't be as pretty as crabapples because they are tan instead of red)

I've never made the crab apple pickles, but they sound good to me. I have
had spiced crab apples from the grocers, which should be fairly similar.
They are a nice accompaniment to roasted meats and make a superb garnish for
the meat platter.

Two suggestions for the pear pickles if you want them prettier -- You could
try substituting some cinnamon red hots for the cinnamon sticks, which
should make your pickles a pretty color. Or if you want the pickles to be
more natural, you could include some cranberries in the spice bag. I'd
think the cranberries would put a nice blush on the pears.

It's too bad our neighbors lost their crab apple tree -- I'd love to give
the pickles a try!

Anny

cb

I do spiced crabapples every year... um!! We have a huge crabapple tree
that produces about 200 lbs. of yellow 2" crabapples which turn out
wonderfully with this recipe Enjoy

Spiced Crabapples
Make this much syrup and no more at a time:

3 cups sugar

3 cups water

1 cup white vinegar

1 tsp. mixed spice in a bag

3 sticks cinnamon

24 crabapples (leave stems on)

Prick crabapples with needle. Dissolve sugar, water, vinegar, and make
syrup. Add spices. Simmer 5 minutes and add apples. Cook slowly, very low
heat, cover them over until tender - spoon liquid over them occasionally.
Put in hot sterilized jars and seal.

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some thing
> with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.
>
> I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
> what are they good for?
>
> I also am thinking about steam-juicing them, with a handful of cranberries
> for color, and making jelly.
>
> I think 5 pounds is enough to try both, but I don't wanna make the pickles
> if they are only good for sitting on the shelf looking pretty (and these
> won't be as pretty as crabapples because they are tan instead of red)
>
> Thanks, regards,
> Bob
>
> Crab Apple Pickles
>
> 2 quarts crab apples with stems (about 2.5 pounds)
> 2 sticks cinnamon
> 1.5 Tbsp whole allspice
> 1.5 Tbsp whole cloves
> 6 cups sugar
> 3 cups water
> 3 cups vinegar
>
> Prick apples with a needle to prevent bursting. Tie spices in a spice

bag.
> Combine sugar, water, vinegar in large saucepot, add spice bag, and boil 5
> minutes. Add apples one layer at a time, cooking gently until tender.
> Remove apples and set in large boil. Bring liquid back to boil and ladle
> over apples. Cover; let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Remove
> spice bags and apples, pack apples into hot jars. Bring pickling liquid

> a boil. Ladle over apples leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps,
> process pints and quarts 15 minutes in BWB. Yields about 6 pints or 3

quarts.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some
> thing
> with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.
>
> I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
> what are they good for?

Well, I can see you've never been to a 1950s-type supper club where the
relish plate that was presented on arrival at your table held pickled
crabapples, dill pickles, and black and green olives. That tell you
anything?
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>

>>I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some
>>thing
>>with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.
>>
>>I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
>>what are they good for?

> Well, I can see you've never been to a 1950s-type supper club where the
> relish plate that was presented on arrival at your table held pickled
> crabapples, dill pickles, and black and green olives. That tell you
> anything?

Yeah, you gotta be a Yankee or you're older than mud. Never saw that at
any supper club I went to in the late fifties with my wife to be.
Everything but the pickled crabapples yes. Must be a Southern Canada thang.

George, ducking and running

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>

>>I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some
>>thing
>>with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.
>>
>>I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good, and
>>what are they good for?

> Well, I can see you've never been to a 1950s-type supper club where the
> relish plate that was presented on arrival at your table held pickled
> crabapples, dill pickles, and black and green olives. That tell you
> anything?

Yeah, that I'm not old enough to appreciate pickled crabapples.
I just juiced 'em all with the steam juicer (it took 3 hours, and they
still didn't collapse into mush.)

The batch of jelly I made without pectin would have been really good except
I added too much acid (a heaping teaspoon of acid blend; a half teaspoon
woulda been right) I kept one jar, but I dumped the other 3 into the next
batch I made with pectin. The combined jelly tastes really good, but it's
really cloudy and has a slightly grainy texture -- I used no-sugar pectin
for the first time, with 4 cups of juice and 3 cups of sugar. Apparently
no-sugar pectin is only good for making jam.

So I ended up with 1 jar that looks beautiful but it's too tart, and a
bunch of jars that taste good and look bad.

Best regards,
Bob

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >, zxcvbob
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some
>>> thing with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.
>>>
>>> I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good,
>>> and what are they good for?

>> Well, I can see you've never been to a 1950s-type supper club where
>> the relish plate that was presented on arrival at your table held
>> pickled crabapples, dill pickles, and black and green olives. That
>> tell you anything?

> Yeah, that I'm not old enough to appreciate pickled crabapples.
> I just juiced 'em all with the steam juicer (it took 3 hours, and they
> still didn't collapse into mush.)
>
> The batch of jelly I made without pectin would have been really good
> except I added too much acid (a heaping teaspoon of acid blend; a half
> teaspoon woulda been right) I kept one jar, but I dumped the other 3
> into the next batch I made with pectin. The combined jelly tastes
> really good, but it's really cloudy and has a slightly grainy texture --
> I used no-sugar pectin for the first time, with 4 cups of juice and 3
> cups of sugar. Apparently no-sugar pectin is only good for making jam.
>
> So I ended up with 1 jar that looks beautiful but it's too tart, and a
> bunch of jars that taste good and look bad.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Should look great alongside the pale yellow very hot chile jelly I made
yesterday. Need to get a CARE package off in your direction with some
Community Dark Roast, jelly, and hot sauce. How you fixed for fig jam?

George

Peggy

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >, zxcvbob
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I mentioned the tiny pears I picked last week. It's time to do some
>>> thing with them. I have 5 pounds of 'em.
>>>
>>> I see a recipe for crab apple pickles in the BBB. Are they any good,
>>> and what are they good for?

>> Well, I can see you've never been to a 1950s-type supper club where
>> the relish plate that was presented on arrival at your table held
>> pickled crabapples, dill pickles, and black and green olives. That
>> tell you anything?

> Yeah, that I'm not old enough to appreciate pickled crabapples.
> I just juiced 'em all with the steam juicer (it took 3 hours, and they
> still didn't collapse into mush.)
>
> The batch of jelly I made without pectin would have been really good
> except I added too much acid (a heaping teaspoon of acid blend; a half
> teaspoon woulda been right) I kept one jar, but I dumped the other 3
> into the next batch I made with pectin. The combined jelly tastes
> really good, but it's really cloudy and has a slightly grainy texture --
> I used no-sugar pectin for the first time, with 4 cups of juice and 3
> cups of sugar. Apparently no-sugar pectin is only good for making jam.
>
> So I ended up with 1 jar that looks beautiful but it's too tart, and a
> bunch of jars that taste good and look bad.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Bob -
Next time you're crabapplejellying, throw a handful of hot peppers into
the mix. Deee-lish!
Peg

macon

I planted a crabapple tree. My intention was decorative only, but I don't
know if the apples are edible or is it a special type of crabapple that is
used in pickles and jellies.

I have never seen crabapples for sale in the grocery store.

MAC, On. Ca.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > Well, I can see you've never been to a 1950s-type supper club where the
> > relish plate that was presented on arrival at your table held pickled
> > crabapples, dill pickles, and black and green olives. That tell you
> > anything?

> Yeah, you gotta be a Yankee or you're older than mud. Never saw that at
> any supper club I went to in the late fifties with my wife to be.
> Everything but the pickled crabapples yes. Must be a Southern Canada
> thang.
>
> George, ducking and running

I'll aim low when I chuck the crabapples!
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> Should look great alongside the pale yellow very hot chile jelly I made
> yesterday. Need to get a CARE package off in your direction with some
> Community Dark Roast, jelly, and hot sauce. How you fixed for fig jam?

I stocked up on Seaport dark roast coffee when I was in Houston a few weeks
ago, but I'd love some of your jelly and hot sauce.

I've got one little unopened jar of fig preserves that my brother made -- I
need to finish all the assorted jars of jam and jelly I got in the fridge
before I open another. But that one little jar won't last very long once I
open it.

Have you got a few spare seeds to those little yellow aji peppers? They
should grow really well up here. My brother has some small yellow aji
peppers, but they're not very hot. The much bigger ones I grow are kind of
medium hot. I said they turn yellow, but now that I think about it, I
think they turn orangy-red. The season here is short enough that not many
of them ever get fully ripe, but that's OK cuz I like them green.

If I drive down to Houston again (I usually fly; *man* that's a long
drive!), I may take Arkansas state highway 7 all the way down to the
Louisiana border. It's supposed to be real purty. Then wander down to
I-10, and stop by your place. I wanna see that garden of yours.

Best regards,
Bob

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Should look great alongside the pale yellow very hot chile jelly I
>> made yesterday. Need to get a CARE package off in your direction with
>> some Community Dark Roast, jelly, and hot sauce. How you fixed for fig
>> jam?
>>

> I stocked up on Seaport dark roast coffee when I was in Houston a few
> weeks ago, but I'd love some of your jelly and hot sauce.
>
> I've got one little unopened jar of fig preserves that my brother made
> -- I need to finish all the assorted jars of jam and jelly I got in the
> fridge before I open another. But that one little jar won't last very
> long once I open it.
>
> Have you got a few spare seeds to those little yellow aji peppers? They
> should grow really well up here. My brother has some small yellow aji
> peppers, but they're not very hot. The much bigger ones I grow are kind
> of medium hot. I said they turn yellow, but now that I think about it,
> I think they turn orangy-red. The season here is short enough that not
> many of them ever get fully ripe, but that's OK cuz I like them green.
>
> If I drive down to Houston again (I usually fly; *man* that's a long
> drive!), I may take Arkansas state highway 7 all the way down to the
> Louisiana border. It's supposed to be real purty. Then wander down to
> I-10, and stop by your place. I wanna see that garden of yours.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Then come in the spring, the garden looks like sh*t this time of year.
Soon as I start picking up leaves it will look better as I will put
about 6 inches of ground up leaves on it. Even the torenia and zinnias
(flowers) are looking shabby. Been cold for a week (down to 49F one
night) but up to 82F again today. Oh my aching sinuses.

You'll probably get the community coffee anyway, it's vacuum sealed and
you can set it on a shelf for up to two years. Lots better than that
Seaport. Best thing about Seaport is the smell when they're roasting it
at the plant in Beaumont. Used to drive by it every day going to work.

I'll send you the stuff, probably tomorrow, will just throw a couple of
the aji peppers in a bag for you. Either that or let the seeds dry on a
paper towel until Monday and send it all then. I finished my 4 hour work
week this morning and don't go back until next Tuesday for a one hour
meeting with my biggest client. this consulting job is just one thing
after another. <VBG>

Picked another tatume squash today, letting one go to full size and
ripeness for seeds. this is a real keeper, thanks Bob.

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "macon"
> wrote:

> I planted a crabapple tree. My intention was decorative only, but I don't
> know if the apples are edible or is it a special type of crabapple that
> is
> used in pickles and jellies.
>
> I have never seen crabapples for sale in the grocery store.
>
> MAC, On. Ca.

Whitney crabs are edible, as are Dolgos. Dolgos are kind of an oval
shape and very red, maybe 1.5" high. Whitneys, IIRC, are small and
round, maybe the size of a golf ball. Our flowering (bird food only)
crab is a Sparkler. FWIW.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Ranee Mueller

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> The batch of jelly I made without pectin would have been really good
> except I added too much acid (a heaping teaspoon of acid blend; a
> half teaspoon woulda been right) I kept one jar, but I dumped the
> other 3 into the next batch I made with pectin. The combined jelly
> tastes really good, but it's really cloudy and has a slightly grainy
> texture -- I used no-sugar pectin for the first time, with 4 cups of
> juice and 3 cups of sugar. Apparently no-sugar pectin is only good
> for making jam.
>
> So I ended up with 1 jar that looks beautiful but it's too tart, and
> a bunch of jars that taste good and look bad.

There is so much pectin in crab apples that I never use added pectin.
I also only use a tiny amount of lemon juice, half a lemon to about 6
pints worth of jelly. Always clear, beautiful and tasting more like
crabapple than lemon.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Crab apple? Steve Calvin Barbecue 26 20-09-2008 11:56 PM
thanks - crab apple jelly Kathi Jones Preserving 3 20-07-2005 10:02 PM
crab apple wine Mark Winemaking 0 16-08-2004 07:14 PM
crab apple wine Joe Winemaking 1 16-08-2004 07:14 PM
crab vs. regular apple Thalocean2 Barbecue 4 19-01-2004 03:54 PM