Ellen Wickberg

Default Quince jam

Anyone have a really good quince jam recipe? Ellen

LIMEYNO1

Please note, I have NOT tried any of these.

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Apple Quince Jelly
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 6 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
2 lb Apples
2 lb Quinces
Sugar

[Preparation]
Wash apples. Remove stems, seeds, and blossom ends. Do not pare.
Cut in quarters. Cover with water. Cook until very soft. Drain
through jelly bag. Wash quinces. Remove stems, seeds, and blossom
ends. Do not pare. Cut in small pieces. Cover with water. Cook
slowly until very soft. Drain through jelly bag. Combine apple
and quince juice in equal proportions. Use 2/3 cup sugar for each
cup juice. Boil rapidly until jelly sheets from spoon. The
Household Searchlight

Exported from Home Cookin 4.8 (http://www.mountain-software.com)

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Cranberry And Quince Conserve
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 4 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
3 cup Cranberries
2 cup Chopped quince
2 cup Chopped apples
4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Chopped walnuts
Juice & rind of 1 orange

[Preparation]
Combine all ingredients except walnuts and cook mixture rapidly
until thick. Add walnuts, remove from heat. Pack in sterilized
jars and seal with paraffin. From: Duckie Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002
17:47:44 ~0400 MM by H Peagram

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Cranberry Quince Jelly
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 6 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
2 qt Cranberries
3 qt Water
6 Quinces
Sugar

[Preparation]
Wash quinces. Remove stems and blossom ends. Chop with coarse
knife of food chopper. Combine with stemmed cranberries which
have been washed. Add water. Cook until fruit is soft. Pour into
jelly bag and drain overnight. Empty juice into large saucepan.
Boil hard 20 minutes. Measure and add an equal amount of hot
sugar. Boil rapidly until jelly sheets from spoon. Florence Taft
Eaton, Concord, MA.

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Kythoni Peltes (Quince Jelly)
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 1 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
1 kg Quinces
4 cup Water
Granulated sugar
2 tsp Lemon juice
2 Rose geranium leaves
From: "The Complete
Middle East Cookbook" by
Tess
ISBN: 1 86302 069 1

[Preparation]
Cooking time: 2 hours

Wash quinces well to remove the fuzz. Peel and core. Slice
quinces into preserving pan and add 2 cups water. Leave aside and
do not be concerned if quince discolours.

Place peels and cores into a pan with remaining water and boil
for 30 minutes. Strain and make liquid up to 2 cups with water.
Add liquid from peels to sliced quinces in pan. Bring to the boil
and simmer gently for 1 hour until quince flesh is very tender.

Scald a large piece of cheese cloth or doubled butter muslin,
wring out and drape over a deep bowl. Pour quince and liquid into
clean cloth and gather up ends. Tie with string and suspend over
bowl. Secure to a fixed object so that juice can drip slowly into
bowl. Leave for 24 hours. Do not squeeze bag to hasten dripping
as this will make jelly cloudy. Measure juice into clean
preserving pan. For each cup of juice add 1 cup sugar. Stir over
heat till sugar dissolves, add lemon juice and washed geranium
leaves and bring to the boil.

Boil rapidly for 25 minutes, skimming frequently. Test a
teaspoonful on a cold saucer. Leave to cool. Run finger across
jelly in saucer ~ setting point is reached when surface wrinkles.
It is advisable to remove pan from heat while jelly is being
tested as you would overcook the jelly. Remove leaves and ladle
hot jelly into hot sterilized jars. Seal when cold.

Mallos

Typed for you by Karen Mintzias ...downloaded from: Salata
*Redondo Beach, CA (310)-543-0439 (1:102/125) From: Dale Shipp
Date: 23 Sep 99

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Kythoni Xysto (Grated Quince Preserve)
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 1 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
Karen Mintzias
4 Quinces (about 1 kg)
3 cup Water
4 cup Sugar
2 Thin lemon rind strips
1 Piece cinnamon bark *Or*
2 Rose geranium leaves
1/4 cup Blanched split almonds *
2 tbsp Lemon juice

[Preparation]
*Note: almonds should be toasted.

Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours

Wash quinces well and rub off all fuzz. Peel, quarter and remove
core. Place peels and cores in a pan with 2 cups water and boil
for 20 minutes. Grate quince quarters and place in a heavy
preserving pan with remaining water. Leave aside until peels are
boiled. Do not be concerned if quince discolours.

Strain liquid from peels into a measuring jug and make up to 2
cups with water. Add this to grated quince with the sugar, lemon
rind and cinnamon bark or washed geranium leaves. Place over
medium heat and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until sugar
is dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil fairly rapidly for 1
hour or until it gels when tested on a cold saucer.

Stir in almonds and lemon juice and boil 1 minute longer. Ladle
into hot, sterilized jars and seal when cold.

Note: As the peel and core contain pectin, the setting
ingredients for jellies and preserves, it is advisable that these
be boiled to extract the pectin.

From: "The Complete Middle East Cookbook" by Tess Mallos ISBN: 1
86302 069 1

Typed for you by Karen Mintzias

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Quince Honey
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 4 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
Text

[Preparation]
Take 4 large or 6 small quinces and grind in a small grinder or
food chopper. Put in a kettle 4 pints of sugar and 1 quart of
water and boil a few minutes. Then put in the ground quince and
boil 20 minutes. Put in jelly cups. (St. Paul, Minn.)

Entered by Carolyn Shaw 4/96 The Dunkard-Dutch Cookbook @1965 BSN
911-410-10-4

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Quince Jelly
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 4 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
1400 g Quinces
800 g Sugar
1600 ml Water
1 Lemon, juice

[Preparation]
Wipe the quinces with a cloth to remove the fine down which
covers them. Cut them in quarters and core them. (Tie the cores
and pips in a muslin and add them to the pan, IMH). Put the water
with the lemon juice - which helps to keep the jelly paler in
colour - and add the thinly sliced unpeeled fruit. Bring to the
boil and boil gently for an hour, stirring (gently) frequently.
Tip into a fine sieve over a large basin and drain, pressing (but
not rubbing IMH) to extract as much juice as possible. (Press the
juice from the cores and seeds if added. IMH) __Keep the pulp to
make quince cheese (qv)__.

Tip the juice into a jam pan and add the sugar. Slowly bring to
the boil and boil for an hour. Skim after 15 minutes and again
after 40 in all. Check for setting point and pot up immediately.
Cover when cold.

Recipe J-P Coffe "Aux bonheur des fruits" MMed & Translated IMH
c/o Georges' Home BBS 2:323/4.4

IH Notes, original recipes used an odd word for the main boiling
of the jelly which implied gentle boiling, but this wasn't right.
Boil fairly hard as usual.

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Quince Marmalade
Recipe By:
Category: Jam/Jelly
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 6 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
3 1/3 lb Quinces
1 Orange
4 1/2 lb Sugar
1 cup Orange juice
2 cup Water

[Preparation]
Wash, quarter, and core quinces. Quarter, seed, but do not peel
orange. Put quinces and orange through food chopper. Add sugar,
water, and orange juice. Simmer slowly, stirring frequently,
until juice sheets from spoon. The Household Searchlight

From: Lawrence Kellie Date: 08-21-93

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<><
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/205/145
"Ellen Wickberg" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a really good quince jam recipe? Ellen

Ellen Wickberg

in article , LIMEYNO1 at
wrote on 23/10/03 12:52 pm:

> [...]
> Recipe By:
> Category: Jam/Jelly
> Main Ingredient:
> Cuisine Style:
> Yield: 6 Serving
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Cooking Time: 0:00
>
> [Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
> ---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
> 3 1/3 lb Quinces
> 1 Orange
> 4 1/2 lb Sugar
> 1 cup Orange juice
> 2 cup Water
>
> [Preparation]
> Wash, quarter, and core quinces. Quarter, seed, but do not peel
> orange. Put quinces and orange through food chopper. Add sugar,
> water, and orange juice. Simmer slowly, stirring frequently,
> until juice sheets from spoon. The Household Searchlight

Thanks for this whole compendium of quince things. Ellen

LIMEYNO1

My pleasure

--
> [...]

> > Yield: 6 Serving
> > Preparation Time: 0:00
> > Cooking Time: 0:00
> >
> > [Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
> > ---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
> > 3 1/3 lb Quinces
> > 1 Orange
> > 4 1/2 lb Sugar
> > 1 cup Orange juice
> > 2 cup Water
> >
> > [Preparation]
> > Wash, quarter, and core quinces. Quarter, seed, but do not peel
> > orange. Put quinces and orange through food chopper. Add sugar,
> > water, and orange juice. Simmer slowly, stirring frequently,
> > until juice sheets from spoon. The Household Searchlight
> >
> > From: Lawrence Kellie Date: 08-21-93
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -
> >

> Thanks for this whole compendium of quince things. Ellen

The Joneses

Ellen Wickberg wrote:

> Anyone have a really good quince jam recipe? Ellen

Google My Quince Jelly Page. It has some recipes & lots of nice info.
Edrena

Bob Pastorio

The Joneses wrote:
> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>
>>Anyone have a really good quince jam recipe? Ellen

> Google My Quince Jelly Page. It has some recipes & lots of nice info.
> Edrena

This weekend, I did this:
8 quinces
3/4 cup apple cider
2 1/2 cups sugar.

Peeled and cored the quinces. Cut them into 1-inch pieces. Put the
quinces, juice and sugar into a crock pot and cooked it all until the
quince was soft, about 15 hours. Started to mash it to make it
slightly chunky and decided to use my wand blender instead. Made a
thick jam that set up very nicely.

Made 3 1/2 pints.

Three of us accidentally ate a whole pint on Sunday with crackers,
toast, grilled panetone and spoons. There was a suspicious thumb mark
in the jar, too, but nobody admitted it.

Pastorio

Kathi

Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
> The Joneses wrote:
> > Ellen Wickberg wrote:
> >
> >>Anyone have a really good quince jam recipe? Ellen

> > Google My Quince Jelly Page. It has some recipes & lots of nice info.
> > Edrena

> This weekend, I did this:
> 8 quinces
> 3/4 cup apple cider
> 2 1/2 cups sugar.
>
> Peeled and cored the quinces. Cut them into 1-inch pieces. Put the
> quinces, juice and sugar into a crock pot and cooked it all until the
> quince was soft, about 15 hours. Started to mash it to make it
> slightly chunky and decided to use my wand blender instead. Made a
> thick jam that set up very nicely.
>
> Made 3 1/2 pints.
>
> Three of us accidentally ate a whole pint on Sunday with crackers,
> toast, grilled panetone and spoons. There was a suspicious thumb mark
> in the jar, too, but nobody admitted it.
>
> Pastorio

very amusing post, Bob. I've never seen quince or tasted quince so I
don't know anything about it/them - did it really take 15 hours or are
ya pullin' our collective legs? Sounds like your results were nothing
short of spectacular!

Kathi
Ellen Wickberg

in article , Bob Pastorio at
wrote on 27/10/03 12:29 pm:

> The Joneses wrote:
>> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have a really good quince jam recipe? Ellen

>> Google My Quince Jelly Page. It has some recipes & lots of nice info.
>> Edrena

> This weekend, I did this:
> 8 quinces
> 3/4 cup apple cider
> 2 1/2 cups sugar.
>
> Peeled and cored the quinces. Cut them into 1-inch pieces. Put the
> quinces, juice and sugar into a crock pot and cooked it all until the
> quince was soft, about 15 hours. Started to mash it to make it
> slightly chunky and decided to use my wand blender instead. Made a
> thick jam that set up very nicely.
>
> Made 3 1/2 pints.
>
> Three of us accidentally ate a whole pint on Sunday with crackers,
> toast, grilled panetone and spoons. There was a suspicious thumb mark
> in the jar, too, but nobody admitted it.
>
> Pastorio

I had asked for quince jam recipes and people were generous in posting them.
We wound up with quite a lot of quince, 73 pounds of smallish, very ripe
quince. We didn't use them all, but did cook lots of them til barely tender
( could pierce easily with a knife), peeled ( very thin skins) and cored and
chopped them. All the peels and cores went back with the saved cooking
water and boiled for about 20 minutes to enrich the water. We removed the
peels and other solids. We then cooked the water down to about 1/3 of its
volume
Now to the jam making: for each 20 cups of chopped quince we used 1 bag (
about 3 cups) of cranberries and 7 1/2 cups of sugar ( 1 1/2 cups sugar to 4
cups of quince). Put all of t his in the pot with the liquid and cook until
it tests done on a frozen plate. Bottle, put on lids and rings as usual
with 1/4 inch headspace and BWB for 10 minutes after it comes to the boil.
Our forty cups ( twice this) gave us 21 500 ml ( pint) jars. It tastes
great. The Cranberry Quince ( and usually apple) mix is called "Paradise".
You can make either jam or jelly with this combination. I based the method
on Elizabeth David's French Provincial Cookbook recipe.
Ellen

Bob Pastorio

Kathi wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
>
>>The Joneses wrote:

>>>Google My Quince Jelly Page. It has some recipes & lots of nice info.
>>>Edrena

>>This weekend, I did this:
>>8 quinces
>>3/4 cup apple cider
>>2 1/2 cups sugar.
>>
>>Peeled and cored the quinces. Cut them into 1-inch pieces. Put the
>>quinces, juice and sugar into a crock pot and cooked it all until the
>>quince was soft, about 15 hours. Started to mash it to make it
>>slightly chunky and decided to use my wand blender instead. Made a
>>thick jam that set up very nicely.
>>
>>Made 3 1/2 pints.
>>
>>Three of us accidentally ate a whole pint on Sunday with crackers,
>>toast, grilled panetone and spoons. There was a suspicious thumb mark
>>in the jar, too, but nobody admitted it.
>>
>>Pastorio

> very amusing post, Bob. I've never seen quince or tasted quince so I
> don't know anything about it/them - did it really take 15 hours or are
> ya pullin' our collective legs? Sounds like your results were nothing
> short of spectacular!

No joking. I've done this slow-cooker quince jam several times, each
with different results, all good. One time, I cooked them on a very
low setting for a couple days with an equal weight of sugar. They
turned a glorious mahogany color and set up nicely. That batch was
chunks that stayed as chunks in a lovely matrix of jelly (cloudy
though it was).

Another time, I quartered the quinces and cooked them (peels, seeds
and all) in apricot nectar overnight and ran the whole business
through a food mill to make something more like a butter.

I've also actually made "proper" quince preserves and even once made a
quince pickle much like pickled watermelon rind. It was good enough,
but not good enough to repeat.

Pastorio

quince paste Ed[_10_] Preserving 3 30-07-2008 08:27 PM
REC: Persian Quince Stew Bob Terwilliger General Cooking 1 25-04-2006 06:01 AM
Quince jelly or roasted quince Jark Preserving 8 16-12-2005 09:38 AM
QUESTION: Quince paste? Jude General Cooking 6 28-11-2005 09:48 PM