Anny Middon

Default Canning in Bottles

Looking over my collection of hot sauces, it occured to me it would be fun
to make some superhot stuff from garden peppers and can it to give to
friends (warning them first ofcourse even if they know me well enough to
expect something incendiary).

Is it possible to find bottles for HWB canning? A lot of commercially
available hot sauces are produced by Mom & Pop outfits. Do they have
special equipment?

BTW, something about the term "canning" when I'm referring to small bottles
(hot sauces come in bottles that have a capacity of about 6 ounces) doesn't
seem right.

Anny

George Shirley

Most of the hot sauce bottles available have plastic lids and couldn't
handle a BWB. I've made hot sauce for years with nothing but the chiles
and vinegar and never had a bottle go bad. No bwb, no canning at all.
The vinegar is usually sufficient to keep the bad bugs out if the chiles
don't. YMMV

I buy 5 or 6 cases of them every couple of years because most people
don't think to return them for reuse.

George

Anny Middon wrote:
> Looking over my collection of hot sauces, it occured to me it would be fun
> to make some superhot stuff from garden peppers and can it to give to
> friends (warning them first ofcourse even if they know me well enough to
> expect something incendiary).
>
> Is it possible to find bottles for HWB canning? A lot of commercially
> available hot sauces are produced by Mom & Pop outfits. Do they have
> special equipment?
>
> BTW, something about the term "canning" when I'm referring to small bottles
> (hot sauces come in bottles that have a capacity of about 6 ounces) doesn't
> seem right.
>
> Anny

Dave

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

| I buy 5 or 6 cases of them every couple of years because most people
| don't think to return them for reuse.

Where do you get your bottles? Do the lids have the little break-off,
tamper-proof portion?

Melba's Jammin'

Darlin' boy, I've still got half-full bottles from The George Shirley
Millenium Collection of Goor-met Hair Removers --errm, Hot Sauce. Might
should have a coupla other empty poury saucy bottles with your name on
'em, too. Have faith.
-Barb

In article >, George Shirley

--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Derric

> Anny Middon wrote:
>> Is it possible to find bottles for HWB canning? A lot of commercially
>> available hot sauces are produced by Mom & Pop outfits. Do they have
>> special equipment?
>> Anny

> ... I've made hot sauce for years with nothing but the chiles
> and vinegar and never had a bottle go bad. No bwb, no canning at all.
> The vinegar is usually sufficient to keep the bad bugs out if the chiles
> don't. YMMV

> George

I have a question in this vein... I have access to lots of old crown
cap bottles (coke/beer/etc) and a bottle capper. So I wonder how I can
use these for "food."

At least I should be able to slip cayenne chiles into them and cover
with boiling vinegar and cap, right?

If you used them in a BWB, then would you crimp the cap before or
after the bath? It seems like crimping before would generate pressure
in the bottle. If crimping after, how to you keep the stuff in the
bottle since the caps won't stay on without being crimped (I guess
you could just leave the bottles open during the boil and suffer some
spillage/splashing/splattering?).

Would there be any way to use them in pressure canning?

The old bottle cap boxes mention tomato sauce, catsup, and such.
Does anyone know how folks used them in the 20s, 30s, 40s? (Or was the
labelling just on there to get around "Prohibition" and people only ever
used them for beer?).

Just wondering....

Thanks.

Derric

George Shirley

IIRC this is where I got them: http://www.specialtybottle.com/store.asp
and they don't have the little break-off, tamper proof part. If I were
commercial I would shrink wrap the lids for that purpose. I buy the 5
and 10 ounce bottles both and buy the lids and "drippers" separately
from the same company. I think that's where I got my one gallon glass
jars too, larger than standard wide mouth lids though. It's been a
couple of years and I didn't bother to check for the original invoice
but checked my bookmarks in my preserving file in Netscape 7.1.

George

Dave wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> |
> | I buy 5 or 6 cases of them every couple of years because most people
> | don't think to return them for reuse.
> |

> Where do you get your bottles? Do the lids have the little break-off,
> tamper-proof portion?

George Shirley

Well, yeah, I wasn't really expecting to get them back from y'all.
You're sort of casual hot sauce fans, my local friends and neighbors are
mostly professional Cajuns who eat it on everything including cake. B-)

George

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Darlin' boy, I've still got half-full bottles from The George Shirley
> Millenium Collection of Goor-met Hair Removers --errm, Hot Sauce. Might
> should have a coupla other empty poury saucy bottles with your name on
> 'em, too. Have faith.
> -Barb
>

> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Most of the hot sauce bottles available have plastic lids and
>>couldn't handle a BWB. I've made hot sauce for years with nothing but
>>the chiles and vinegar and never had a bottle go bad. No bwb, no
>>canning at all. The vinegar is usually sufficient to keep the bad
>>bugs out if the chiles don't. YMMV
>>
>>I buy 5 or 6 cases of them every couple of years because most people
>>don't think to return them for reuse.
>>
>>George
>>
>>Anny Middon wrote:
>>
>>>Looking over my collection of hot sauces, it occured to me it would
>>>be fun to make some superhot stuff from garden peppers and can it
>>>to give to friends (warning them first ofcourse even if they know
>>>me well enough to expect something incendiary).
>>>
>>>Is it possible to find bottles for HWB canning? A lot of
>>>commercially available hot sauces are produced by Mom & Pop
>>>outfits. Do they have special equipment?
>>>
>>>BTW, something about the term "canning" when I'm referring to small
>>>bottles (hot sauces come in bottles that have a capacity of about 6
>>>ounces) doesn't seem right.
>>>
>>>Anny

George Shirley

Derric wrote:

>>Anny Middon wrote:

>>>Is it possible to find bottles for HWB canning? A lot of commercially
>>>available hot sauces are produced by Mom & Pop outfits. Do they have
>>>special equipment?
>>>Anny

>>... I've made hot sauce for years with nothing but the chiles
>>and vinegar and never had a bottle go bad. No bwb, no canning at all.
>>The vinegar is usually sufficient to keep the bad bugs out if the chiles
>>don't. YMMV

>>George

> I have a question in this vein... I have access to lots of old crown
> cap bottles (coke/beer/etc) and a bottle capper. So I wonder how I can
> use these for "food."
>
> At least I should be able to slip cayenne chiles into them and cover
> with boiling vinegar and cap, right?
>
> If you used them in a BWB, then would you crimp the cap before or
> after the bath? It seems like crimping before would generate pressure
> in the bottle. If crimping after, how to you keep the stuff in the
> bottle since the caps won't stay on without being crimped (I guess
> you could just leave the bottles open during the boil and suffer some
> spillage/splashing/splattering?).
>
> Would there be any way to use them in pressure canning?
>
> The old bottle cap boxes mention tomato sauce, catsup, and such.
> Does anyone know how folks used them in the 20s, 30s, 40s? (Or was the
> labelling just on there to get around "Prohibition" and people only ever
> used them for beer?).
>
> Just wondering....
>
> Thanks.
>
> Derric

My folks were around during prohibition and I remember my mom talking
about making beer and crown capping them but don't know any details
about them. I would suspect that if you bwb'ed or pressure canned
something with a crown cap it would explode or do something equally
destructive. Suspect the glass would give before the lid blew off. Mom
also talked about having a case of freshly bottled beer blowing up while
the ladies aid from the church was visiting and how embarrassing it was
until one old lady mentioned it had happened to her. <VBG>

George

Scott

Default Canning in Bottles (and note to Barb)

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Well, yeah, I wasn't really expecting to get them back from y'all.
> You're sort of casual hot sauce fans, my local friends and neighbors are
> mostly professional Cajuns who eat it on everything including cake. B-)

Personally, I mainline the stuff.

Hey, Barb... when I was up in Rochester this past summer, someone I know
there took me to an Indian place on S. Broadway and... Rt. 14, I think.
The menu had different levels of spiciness for the curries... something
like mild, somewhat spicy, spicy, very spice, and Indian spicy. I asked
for it Indian spicy. The waiter looked almost aghast, and asked me if I
was sure. I answered in the affirmative.
The food arrived, I tasted it, and thought, "hmmm... this isn't spicy."

OTOH, I had some pretty darned good barbecue at John Hardy's and
Roscoe's.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> My folks were around during prohibition and I remember my mom talking
> about making beer and crown capping them but don't know any details
> about them. I would suspect that if you bwb'ed or pressure canned
> something with a crown cap it would explode or do something equally
> destructive. Suspect the glass would give before the lid blew off. Mom
> also talked about having a case of freshly bottled beer blowing up while
> the ladies aid from the church was visiting and how embarrassing it was
> until one old lady mentioned it had happened to her.

yah. having made a goodly amount of beer, I've heard a lot of stories of
that happening. You have to be VERY careful about how much sugar you add
to the beer before bottling (after fermentation is completed and before
bottling, a little fructose is mixed into the beer, which is then
immediately bottled; the yeast then carbonates the beer in the bottle).
If you make root beer, ginger beer, or some other drink that remains
sweet, you can't (or shouldn't) use beer bottles. Since the yeast will
keep on fermenting so long as there's sugar, and the sweet-when-consumed
drinks have a LOT of sugar, you get bottle bombs. The safest
recommendation is to use PET bottles (i.e., plastic soda bottles); I
can't imagine using those for BWB, though.

please mail OT responses only

Feuer

Scott wrote:

> If you make root beer, ginger beer, or some other drink that remains
> sweet, you can't (or shouldn't) use beer bottles. Since the yeast will
> keep on fermenting so long as there's sugar, and the

Soda is (I'm quite sure) far too sweet to support life.

David
Brian Mailman

Scott wrote:

> If you make root beer, ginger beer, or some other drink that remains
> sweet, you can't (or shouldn't) use beer bottles. Since the yeast will
> keep on fermenting so long as there's sugar, and the sweet-when-consumed
> drinks have a LOT of sugar, you get bottle bombs.

G'ma was impossible for some weeks after g'pa exploded the root beer in
the garage that summer in '65.... wasn't just that everything was
covered in goo, and the smell, it was the flies....

B/
Brian Mailman

Feuer wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
> > If you make root beer, ginger beer, or some other drink that remains
> > sweet, you can't (or shouldn't) use beer bottles. Since the yeast will
> > keep on fermenting so long as there's sugar, and the

> Soda is (I'm quite sure) far too sweet to support life.

Think you need to read up on methode champagnoise.

B/
Scott

In article >, Feuer > wrote:

> Soda is (I'm quite sure) far too sweet to support life.

It is precisely that sweetness that supports yeast. All that yeasts need
are sugar and sufficient moisture (though trace minerals can help). Once
past their reproductive phase, they don't even need oxygen (and keeping
fermented wine, beer, etc. away from oxygen is a priority; you want the
wort oxygenated, but never so the beer).

And this isn't simply a matter of disagreeing over theory--I've made
plenty of root beer and ginger ale.

For a ton of recipes for sodas, try
<http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/recs/12_toc.html>

so far, I've only used root beer extracts--because I've had trouble
getting ground sarsaparilla and the like

please mail OT responses only
zxcvbob

Derric wrote:
>>Anny Middon wrote:

>>>Is it possible to find bottles for HWB canning? A lot of commercially
>>>available hot sauces are produced by Mom & Pop outfits. Do they have
>>>special equipment?
>>>Anny

>>... I've made hot sauce for years with nothing but the chiles
>>and vinegar and never had a bottle go bad. No bwb, no canning at all.
>>The vinegar is usually sufficient to keep the bad bugs out if the chiles
>>don't. YMMV

>>George

> I have a question in this vein... I have access to lots of old crown
> cap bottles (coke/beer/etc) and a bottle capper. So I wonder how I can
> use these for "food."
>
> At least I should be able to slip cayenne chiles into them and cover
> with boiling vinegar and cap, right?
>
> If you used them in a BWB, then would you crimp the cap before or
> after the bath? It seems like crimping before would generate pressure
> in the bottle. If crimping after, how to you keep the stuff in the
> bottle since the caps won't stay on without being crimped (I guess
> you could just leave the bottles open during the boil and suffer some
> spillage/splashing/splattering?).
>
> Would there be any way to use them in pressure canning?
>
> The old bottle cap boxes mention tomato sauce, catsup, and such.
> Does anyone know how folks used them in the 20s, 30s, 40s? (Or was the
> labelling just on there to get around "Prohibition" and people only ever
> used them for beer?).
>
> Just wondering....
>
> Thanks.
>
> Derric

I think you would crimp the bottle cap before processing. The bottles and
the caps can take a lot of pressure. Just don't expect them to draw a
vacuum. But there might be a vacuum if you hot-pack and don't have much
headspace.

zxcvbob

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>

>>Well, yeah, I wasn't really expecting to get them back from y'all.
>>You're sort of casual hot sauce fans, my local friends and neighbors are
>>mostly professional Cajuns who eat it on everything including cake. B-)

> Personally, I mainline the stuff.
>
> Hey, Barb... when I was up in Rochester this past summer, someone I know
> there took me to an Indian place on S. Broadway and... Rt. 14, I think.
> The menu had different levels of spiciness for the curries... something
> like mild, somewhat spicy, spicy, very spice, and Indian spicy. I asked
> for it Indian spicy. The waiter looked almost aghast, and asked me if I
> was sure. I answered in the affirmative.
> The food arrived, I tasted it, and thought, "hmmm... this isn't spicy."
>

> OTOH, I had some pretty darned good barbecue at John Hardy's and
> Roscoe's.

I haven't tried that new Indian place yet.

Roscoes is good, but IMHO John Hardy's sucks. Good sauce and tasteless
steamed meat.

Best regards,
Bob

Big Bottles Bill S. Wine 0 17-10-2011 08:58 PM
Using beer bottles for Individual serving bottles of wine Brad Winemaking 17 21-06-2006 04:06 AM
Cap-able bottles George Tolman Preserving 4 09-08-2004 10:08 PM
Old Bottles Robert Tobin Wine 2 27-12-2003 10:14 AM
175 ml Bottles? Keith Winemaking 6 21-11-2003 03:22 AM