drying scarlet sumac berries

Old 02-10-2003, 02:46 AM
Paula
Usenet poster

Default drying scarlet sumac berries

Here's an article about sumac:

http://www.prairienet.org/herbsociety/hotm/sumac.htm

On 9/26/03 8:02 PM, in article , "Phil(NM)"
wrote:

thanks. the sumac berries we were warned off of (I was just a kid) were
red. So sumac is not poison?

"William R. Watt" wrote:

the white sumac is toxic. that's why I was careful to put "scarlet" in the
subject line. scarlet sumac is what is called "Indian lemonade".

"Phil" ) writes:
When I grew up back east, I was told that stuff is poisonous....
everyone called it poison sumac just like there was poison oak. ???

"William R. Watt" wrote:

Scarlet sumac berries air dry in a week. I separated them from the cluster
first by twisting each spike in my hands. It doesn't take long to stem the
berries that way. I haven't tried drying the berries on the stem.

I dried 2 plastic gallon ice cream containers full of sumac berries this
year to use for tea over the winter. It is possible to boil up a spike of
berries in a pot of water and strain for tea, but I make one mug at a time
using one of those tea holder things. I found a plastic tea holder thing
at a rummage sale which I can fill stick put in a mug of water in a
micowave. It saves time.

---
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network
homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Addy is anti-spam ...
Remove the 123 in my addy to rely.

Phil(NM)
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking." JC Watts

"The Earth is 5.4 Billion years old. It is entirely sustainable without
interference by environmental organizations, laws or treaties."

-