William R. Watt

Default 2003 output

I was playing at preserving from the last week in August to the
last week in Sptember with the following results:

Jelly:

12 cups wild grape & apple
5 cups elderberry & apple
4 cups haw & sumac
3 cups crabapple
3 cups rose hip & apple (not yet jelled)
2 cups rose hip & sumac

(acid fruits: wild grape, elderberry, crabapple, sumac)
(pectin fruits: apple, crabapple, sumac: no commercial pectin used)
(sumac puckers the mouth and leaves a strong after taste)
(past years I only made occassional crabapple jelly. this year was
an experiment with different kinds of wild fruits and berries.)

Jam:

3 cups apple
3 cups rose hip
3 cups wild grape
1 cup elderberry
1 cup haw

(jam was made from content of jelly bag after straining juice)

Air Dried:

2 gal sumac berry
3 cups elderberry (approx, not finished drying yet)

(sumac herbal tea does not pucker the mouth or leave a strong
after taste like sumac jelly. Sumac herbal tea has a mild pleasant
taste like rose hip herbal tea.)

Wine:

2.5 gal wild grape
2 gal apple
2 gal elderberry
1 qt haw

(I make enough to take a glass of wine with the evening meal. The
wine ages 3 years or more before consumption. I finished off the
last of the 1999 wine in Sept 2003 and started on the 2000 wine.)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

William R. Watt ) writes:
> I was playing at preserving from the last week in August to the
> last week in Sptember with the following results:
>
> Jelly:

forgot to mention that the fruits were not mixed before straining. The
fruits were strained separately. The separate juices were put in jars in
the 'fridge. The experiments were done by mixing the juices.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Output Melba's Jammin' Preserving 3 21-11-2011 11:38 PM
Calculating the BTU output of a torch, or single hole orifice. [email protected] Barbecue 3 22-08-2007 05:59 AM
Calculating the BTU output of a torch, or single hole orifice. [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 22-08-2007 04:46 AM
First Chave, Offerus 2003, then St. Josept 2003...now 2004 Chave Cotes Du Rhone Mon Coeur Richard Neidich Wine 0 14-09-2006 05:24 PM
Boost gas grill output? Walter H. Lewis III Barbecue 5 14-11-2003 01:35 PM