mca

Default Hot plate for canning?

"MJW" > wrote in message >...
> Does anyone know of a hot plate that has a large enough diameter and capable
> of generating enough heat for pressure canning? I have a "smooth top" stove
> that takes forever to bring my canner to pressure. When it finally does, it
> seems to warp the bottom of the canner. I'm also concerned with damaging
> the stove top. I bought a single burner hot plate at Wal-Mart but it was
> worthless for canning. The diameter is too small and after 1 hour it still
> couldn't get the canner up to pressure.
>
> Does anyone use an electric hot plate to can?

Long time lurker de-lurking for a moment.....

Just last week I bought an electric commercial stock pot range that I
will use for canning. It's an older Toastmaster model (looks like it
was never used), countertop, with two large burners, 2700 watts each.
I bought it from a restaurant equipment supply place. It's 220,
single phase, and the plug fits in my Blodgett oven outlet. I haven't
used it yet, but plan to, this week. I also bought a couple of
bee-you-tee-ful 24 quart stainless stock pots. I was really tired of
waiting forever for pots to boil on my Jenn Air range..... Try your
local restaurant places, they often have used equipment.

Happy Canning
Mary
Pleasant Pond Orchard
Maine