Does pectin go bad?

Old 14-12-2005, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Default Does pectin go bad?

Howdy all,

Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
I'm just curious.

Will

--
Will Wagner / / http://www.ymb.net/
"Keep it simple: as simple as possible, but no simpler." -- A. Einstein
Old 14-12-2005, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Will Wagner wrote:

Howdy all,

Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
I'm just curious.

Should be fine. I had some I found behind the washing machine dated
from 5 years before that and it was OK.

B/
Old 14-12-2005, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

Will Wagner wrote:
Howdy all,

Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
I'm just curious.

Will

The only problems I have ever noticed are with liquid pectin. It
becomes solid, rather than liquid, at some point. I don't know if it
would still work well if it were broken up so that it could be quickly
stirred in or not. Otherwise, the dates on pectin don't seem to have
made any difference in our jams or jellies in the Canning Kitchen.
Ellen
Old 15-12-2005, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Usenet poster

In article Im_nf.112964$Gd6.68143@pd7tw3no,
ellen wickberg wrote:
Will Wagner wrote:

Got some nice blueberries on deck to make some jam. My sister gave me
some pectin she had around, and the "use by" dates are a year or two ago.
Does that stuff go bad, or will it be fine? I got some new anyway, but
I'm just curious.

The only problems I have ever noticed are with liquid pectin. It
becomes solid, rather than liquid, at some point. I don't know if it
would still work well if it were broken up so that it could be quickly
stirred in or not. Otherwise, the dates on pectin don't seem to have
made any difference in our jams or jellies in the Canning Kitchen.

OK, thanks for the responses everybody. A jammin' we will go...

Will