moldy peaches?

Old 07-09-2005, 05:10 AM
kr_gentner
Usenet poster

Default moldy peaches?

What makes peaches mold on the inside?

Kathy

Old 07-09-2005, 04:18 PM
William R. Watt
Usenet poster

"kr_gentner" ) writes:
What makes peaches mold on the inside?

The way I read it is the ripening of fruit is the breakdown of pectin
molecules into sugar molecules (pectose to fructose). Pectin is what makes
fruit (and jams and jelly) firm. So the fruit gets softer and softer and
sweeter and seeter until it turns to mush. It changes colour at the same time.
So "rotten" fruit is really not rotted. Rot is decomposition due to mould
fungus eating the fibres, eg rotting wood. I'd say if it isn't fuzzy it's
not mould. Well, peaches are already fuzzy but not that kind of fuzz.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 07-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Brian Mailman
Usenet poster

William R. Watt wrote:

"kr_gentner" ) writes:
What makes peaches mold on the inside?

The way I read it is the ripening of fruit is the breakdown of pectin
molecules into sugar molecules (pectose to fructose). Pectin is what makes
fruit (and jams and jelly) firm. So the fruit gets softer and softer and
sweeter and seeter until it turns to mush. It changes colour at the same time.
So "rotten" fruit is really not rotted. Rot is decomposition due to mould
fungus eating the fibres, eg rotting wood. I'd say if it isn't fuzzy it's
not mould. Well, peaches are already fuzzy but not that kind of fuzz.

And here I was going to say it's because they grow inside out....

B/
Old 07-09-2005, 08:06 PM
kr_gentner
Usenet poster

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

"kr_gentner" ) writes:
What makes peaches mold on the inside?

The way I read it is the ripening of fruit is the breakdown of pectin
molecules into sugar molecules (pectose to fructose). Pectin is what makes
fruit (and jams and jelly) firm. So the fruit gets softer and softer and
sweeter and seeter until it turns to mush. It changes colour at the same
time.
So "rotten" fruit is really not rotted. Rot is decomposition due to mould
fungus eating the fibres, eg rotting wood. I'd say if it isn't fuzzy it's
not mould. Well, peaches are already fuzzy but not that kind of fuzz.

William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

It's definitely mold and it's on the inside around the pit. I can even
smell it.

Kathy

Old 07-09-2005, 11:45 PM
William R. Watt
Usenet poster

It's definitely mold and it's on the inside around the pit. I can even
smell it.

That kills my theory.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 08-09-2005, 12:23 AM
George Shirley
Usenet poster

William R. Watt wrote:
It's definitely mold and it's on the inside around the pit. I can even
smell it.

That kills my theory.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

We encountered the interior mold on peaches earlier this year. IIRC they
came out of California. I dissected one and there was an opening at the
stem end that went into the pit, apparently the mold started there and
covered the entire pit. I took them back where we got them and the store
manager refunded our money. The produce guy there is a long time friend
of mine and we cut several more and they were all moldy inside. AFAIK
the store returned them to whomever sold them to them.

George

Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 AM
kr_gentner
Usenet poster

"George Shirley" wrote in message
William R. Watt wrote:
It's definitely mold and it's on the inside around the pit. I can even
smell it.

That kills my theory.

William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm warning: non-FreeNet email must have
"notspam" in subject or it's returned

We encountered the interior mold on peaches earlier this year. IIRC they
came out of California. I dissected one and there was an opening at the
stem end that went into the pit, apparently the mold started there and
covered the entire pit. I took them back where we got them and the store
manager refunded our money. The produce guy there is a long time friend of
mine and we cut several more and they were all moldy inside. AFAIK the
store returned them to whomever sold them to them.

George

Well I didn't pay my sister for them and if I tried to return them she'd
just throw them at me! LOL Maybe it's weather related?

Kathy

Old 08-09-2005, 03:01 AM
Puester
Usenet poster

kr_gentner wrote:
"George Shirley" wrote in message

We encountered the interior mold on peaches earlier this year. IIRC they
came out of California. I dissected one and there was an opening at the
stem end that went into the pit, apparently the mold started there and
covered the entire pit. I took them back where we got them and the store
manager refunded our money. The produce guy there is a long time friend of
mine and we cut several more and they were all moldy inside. AFAIK the
store returned them to whomever sold them to them.

George

Well I didn't pay my sister for them and if I tried to return them she'd
just throw them at me! LOL Maybe it's weather related?

Kathy

A friend brought us some very large peaches from western Colorado
on his way back from vacarion, in exchange for making him a peach pie.
A few of them were moldy around the seed, also, and two of those had a
couple of earwigs each crawling around inside the seed. Ugh.

gloria p
Old 08-09-2005, 08:01 PM
kr_gentner
Usenet poster

"Puester" wrote in message

A friend brought us some very large peaches from western Colorado
on his way back from vacarion, in exchange for making him a peach pie. A
few of them were moldy around the seed, also, and two of those had a
couple of earwigs each crawling around inside the seed. Ugh.

gloria p

Oh ick. I didn't find any earwigs at least. The peaches I got are from
eastern Colorado.

Kathy

Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 AM
commercialcanner
Usenet poster

Kathy, Peaches with split pits will mold on the inside because air is
available to the inside of a peach. Split pits are usually caused by
too much rain. Also earwigs which have no interest in the peach flesh
enjoy living in the open space of the split pit. A little molding
around split pit fruit is usually okay. Split pit fruit is considered
number 2 fruit and should be purchased only from the farmer at a
discount price.CC

Old 09-09-2005, 04:59 PM
kr_gentner
Usenet poster

"commercialcanner" wrote in message
oups.com...
Kathy, Peaches with split pits will mold on the inside because air is
available to the inside of a peach. Split pits are usually caused by
too much rain. Also earwigs which have no interest in the peach flesh
enjoy living in the open space of the split pit. A little molding
around split pit fruit is usually okay. Split pit fruit is considered
number 2 fruit and should be purchased only from the farmer at a
discount price.CC

That would explain it. My sister said the weather had turned off rainy for
awhile. I didn't like the way they smelled so I tossed all of the moldy
ones. I figure if I didn't like the way they smelled they probably wouldn't
taste any better.

Kathy

White wine with peaches? [email protected] Wine 8 26-08-2005 05:08 PM
Bay Laurel Peaches Duckie Recipes 0 04-06-2005 10:01 PM
Grilled Peaches with Raspberry Sauce Duckie Recipes 0 04-06-2005 05:44 PM
CORRECTION: Peaches and Cream Coffee Cake Web Surfer Recipes (moderated) 0 03-02-2004 01:56 PM
Peaches and Cream Coffee Cake Web Surfer Recipes (moderated) 0 01-02-2004 03:11 PM