commercialcanner

Default (LM) low methoxyl pectin hints

Working with reduced sugar pectin (LM) allows a lot of possibilities in
working with acidified food products. (LM) pectins that contain calcium
will set water. If a product such as a jelly or jam fails to set there
is usally a problem in the process. LM pectins like to set when the
fruit and sweetners combined, are below 28 brix. The pectin gels the
dissolved solids around the more solid fruit. The more fruit used the
less the set, perhaps more often the case the less fruit used (more
sweetner) the more stiff the set. A 28 brix is diabetic level,
therefore, very little sweetner can be added before the pectin is
added. However LM pectins are also affected by too much acid . For this
reason and color preservation is why I always add some sugar ahead of
the pectin, usually around 120 F (the sugar will dillute the acid/ph).
With cane sugar as the sweetner, no more than 18% should be added
before the pectin is cooked in. LM pectins really do not need to be
boiled,I like to cook them in with some sweetner below 18%,for around
20 minutes around 175-180 F (I use 40 qt pots). If there is more
sweetner needed in your recipe add it after this time. When I make some
fruit sauces that only need to thicken and not jell,I use LM pectin
that has no calcium built in. I follow the same method as above with
the no calcium pectin. If a water-bath method is used for expelling air
and sterilizing containers, the duration of the boil should be short.
-commercialcanner

Household Hints. Ross@home General Cooking 19 26-07-2010 06:51 PM
Hints Dimitri General Cooking 18 14-07-2005 01:12 PM
New smoker - Any hints? Al Reid Barbecue 12 14-07-2005 06:12 AM
Hints, please, and some weirdness... Ian Hayward Wine 3 10-06-2004 10:01 PM
Hints for a beginner. Tom and Shelley Winemaking 7 31-10-2003 01:31 AM