Simpson

Default foodsaver canister question, different styles

I get much of my kitchen goodies from thrift stores. This is mostly
because I collect old coffee gear and that isn't by definition,
available in the mall, but also because I like to be cheap. Anyway, I
have a set of foodsaver canisters I've had awhile... look like the ones
currently on their website. Hole in the lid in which to stick the vac
tube. Grey rubber 'button' to press to vent vacuum. Today I found a few
more, look like they are in fine shape and are marked foodsaver, but
they have a different lid setup. There is a central valve under a
pivoting button and there is no hole for the vac tube... rather one uses
an adapter at the end of the vac tube which seals against the surface of
the lid of the canister, pulling a vacuum through the recessed valve.
This adapter is now sold as a canning jar sealer, like for Mason jars.
The gaskets are different than the others I have. They seem to seal more
along the top rim of the canister.

Anyway, is anyone familiar with these canisters? I suspect they are a
much older design, maybe late 90's. Do they work well or lose their seal
easily?

Thanks. This is my first post in rfp and I'm pleased to find you!

Ted
--
email me at:
tee en jay ess eye em pee ess oh en one-the-number (at) cee oh em cee a

ANY other email addie will probably mean I spam-killed your message
unread, by accident, really.
RR

Simpson > wrote:

>I get much of my kitchen goodies from thrift stores. This is mostly
>because I collect old coffee gear and that isn't by definition,
>available in the mall, but also because I like to be cheap. Anyway, I
>have a set of foodsaver canisters I've had awhile... look like the ones
>currently on their website. Hole in the lid in which to stick the vac
>tube. Grey rubber 'button' to press to vent vacuum. Today I found a few
>more, look like they are in fine shape and are marked foodsaver, but
>they have a different lid setup. There is a central valve under a
>pivoting button and there is no hole for the vac tube... rather one uses
>an adapter at the end of the vac tube which seals against the surface of
>the lid of the canister, pulling a vacuum through the recessed valve.
>This adapter is now sold as a canning jar sealer, like for Mason jars.
>The gaskets are different than the others I have. They seem to seal more
>along the top rim of the canister.
>
>Anyway, is anyone familiar with these canisters? I suspect they are a
>much older design, maybe late 90's. Do they work well or lose their seal
>easily?
>
>Thanks. This is my first post in rfp and I'm pleased to find you!
>
>Ted

We have several of these canisters and, yes, they are an older model
that we got quite a few years ago.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to seal any better, or any worse than
the newer canisters after several uses. I purchased the square
canister to try their fast marinating method and it is also impossible
to pull a vacuum on it after just a few uses.
I have the best luck with mason jars for dry storage. The seal using
them is maintained for many months. In fact I've not yet had one that
wasn't sealed when I went to open it.

Ross.
Simpson

In article >, RR says...
snip
> We have several of these canisters and, yes, they are an older model
> that we got quite a few years ago.
> Unfortunately, they don't seem to seal any better, or any worse than
> the newer canisters after several uses. I purchased the square
> canister to try their fast marinating method and it is also impossible
> to pull a vacuum on it after just a few uses.
> I have the best luck with mason jars for dry storage. The seal using
> them is maintained for many months. In fact I've not yet had one that
> wasn't sealed when I went to open it.
>
> Ross.

Thanks, Ross. So far I've had good luck for a few days at a time, which
is about all I ask of the canisters. Mostly short-term fridge storage
and vacuum pickling which I like.

I've tried the mason jars but am a little wary of implosion. Do you
think they are up to that level of vacuum?

Ted

unread, by accident, really.
George Shirley

Simpson wrote:
> In article >, RR says...
> snip
>
>>We have several of these canisters and, yes, they are an older model
>>that we got quite a few years ago.
>>Unfortunately, they don't seem to seal any better, or any worse than
>>the newer canisters after several uses. I purchased the square
>>canister to try their fast marinating method and it is also impossible
>>to pull a vacuum on it after just a few uses.
>>I have the best luck with mason jars for dry storage. The seal using
>>them is maintained for many months. In fact I've not yet had one that
>>wasn't sealed when I went to open it.
>>
>>Ross.
>>

> Thanks, Ross. So far I've had good luck for a few days at a time, which
> is about all I ask of the canisters. Mostly short-term fridge storage
> and vacuum pickling which I like.
>
> I've tried the mason jars but am a little wary of implosion. Do you
> think they are up to that level of vacuum?
>
> Ted

I'm not Ross but I use lots of vac sealed mason jars. They stand up as
well, if not better, than the canister jars.

George

RR

Simpson > wrote:

>Thanks, Ross. So far I've had good luck for a few days at a time, which
>is about all I ask of the canisters. Mostly short-term fridge storage
>and vacuum pickling which I like.
>
>I've tried the mason jars but am a little wary of implosion. Do you
>think they are up to that level of vacuum?
>
>Ted

We've been using mason jars with the FoodSaver for many years. Because
they are designed to withstand vacuum when used in the usual boiling
water bath or pressure canning methods, I never gave a second thought
to using them with the FoodSaver.
I don't know what level of vacuum is pulled when using mason jars in
the usual way so, in the interest of science, I emailed Bernardin with
the question. I also asked if there was any danger of implosion when
using a counter top vacuum sealer on a mason jar.
I'll post their reply if and when I get one.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

RR

George Shirley > wrote:

>Simpson wrote:
>> In article >, RR says...
>> snip
>>
>>>We have several of these canisters and, yes, they are an older model
>>>that we got quite a few years ago.
>>>Unfortunately, they don't seem to seal any better, or any worse than
>>>the newer canisters after several uses. I purchased the square
>>>canister to try their fast marinating method and it is also impossible
>>>to pull a vacuum on it after just a few uses.
>>>I have the best luck with mason jars for dry storage. The seal using
>>>them is maintained for many months. In fact I've not yet had one that
>>>wasn't sealed when I went to open it.
>>>
>>>Ross.
>>>

>> Thanks, Ross. So far I've had good luck for a few days at a time, which
>> is about all I ask of the canisters. Mostly short-term fridge storage
>> and vacuum pickling which I like.
>>
>> I've tried the mason jars but am a little wary of implosion. Do you
>> think they are up to that level of vacuum?
>>
>> Ted
>>

>I'm not Ross but I use lots of vac sealed mason jars. They stand up as
>well, if not better, than the canister jars.
>
>George

That's for sure, George.
We've got some mason jars that we must have been using at least 20 -
25 years and they still hold a seal. I've got FoodSaver canisters that
won't hold a seal when they're less than a year old. The same goes for
the "Universal" jar sealer.
Mason jars rule ;-).
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Simpson

In article >, RR says...
snip
> We've been using mason jars with the FoodSaver for many years. Because
> they are designed to withstand vacuum when used in the usual boiling
> water bath or pressure canning methods, I never gave a second thought
> to using them with the FoodSaver.
> I don't know what level of vacuum is pulled when using mason jars in
> the usual way so, in the interest of science, I emailed Bernardin with
> the question. I also asked if there was any danger of implosion when
> using a counter top vacuum sealer on a mason jar.
> I'll post their reply if and when I get one.
>
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Many thanks!

Ted

unread, by accident, really.
The Joneses

Simpson wrote:

> In article >, RR says...
> snip
> > We have several of these canisters and, yes, they are an older model
> > that we got quite a few years ago.
> > Unfortunately, they don't seem to seal any better, or any worse than
> > the newer canisters after several uses. I purchased the square
> > canister to try their fast marinating method and it is also impossible
> > to pull a vacuum on it after just a few uses.
> > I have the best luck with mason jars for dry storage. The seal using
> > them is maintained for many months. In fact I've not yet had one that
> > wasn't sealed when I went to open it.
> > Ross.
> >

> Thanks, Ross. So far I've had good luck for a few days at a time, which
> is about all I ask of the canisters. Mostly short-term fridge storage
> and vacuum pickling which I like.
> I've tried the mason jars but am a little wary of implosion. Do you
> think they are up to that level of vacuum?
> Ted

I've found the canisters keep better vacuum if vac'd 2 or 3 times at once.
I've had good luck keeping his lunch veggies very fresh that way. We just
can't eat them up as fast as they wilt.
I've vac sealed mason jars with very good result, both for freezing and for
shelf. I'd certainly be careful of leaving them anyplace that heats up tho,
like my car....
Edrena in Texas