Rival Seal-A-Meal vs. Foodsaver? Any opinions welcome...

Old 14-04-2005, 07:08 PM
todd
Usenet poster

Default Rival Seal-A-Meal vs. Foodsaver? Any opinions welcome...

Hi,

We're registering for our wedding and have wanted a vacuum sealer for a
while. I have heard a lot about the FoodSaver line, but unfortunately
the two kitchen stores we registered at (WilliamSonoma and Hecht's) do
not carry that brand. Hecht's is the only one to carry a sealer and
they carry the "Rival Seal-A-Meal VS110-BCD" (easily found on
http://www.rivalproducts.com ).

As this looks a bit different then other food sealers I have seen, does
anyone have opinions on how well it works? (vacuum power, bag sealing,
and replacement bag availability). I would use this primarily for
freezing food and food-prep for camping trips.

I searched the history in the rec.food groups and didn't find any
definitive reviews on this product...most people asking the same
question as me.

Thanks in advance for any info,
-todd

Old 14-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We're registering for our wedding and have wanted a vacuum sealer for a
while. I have heard a lot about the FoodSaver line, but unfortunately
the two kitchen stores we registered at (WilliamSonoma and Hecht's) do
not carry that brand. Hecht's is the only one to carry a sealer and
they carry the "Rival Seal-A-Meal VS110-BCD" (easily found on
http://www.rivalproducts.com ).

As this looks a bit different then other food sealers I have seen, does
anyone have opinions on how well it works? (vacuum power, bag sealing,
and replacement bag availability). I would use this primarily for
freezing food and food-prep for camping trips.

I searched the history in the rec.food groups and didn't find any
definitive reviews on this product...most people asking the same
question as me.

I have the Seal-A-Meal. It works fine. The bag material for the SAM is
very thick and tough. My only complaint about this unit is that you have to
align the left edge of the bad over a rather smallish nozzle. This tends to
be rather awkward. I also find that if the bags are very full, they
sometimes don't seal well. I think this has to do with the fact that it is
hard to keep the bag aligned with the nozzle while preventing it from
pulling out of the sealing mechanism. Since I haven't used the Food Saver,
I can't compare. I would point out that Lowe's was selling the SAM (deluxe
version) for $20 recently.

Old 14-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Gary S.
Usenet poster

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:37:57 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

I have the Seal-A-Meal. It works fine. The bag material for the SAM is
very thick and tough. My only complaint about this unit is that you have to

One question:

A difference between the old Daisy Seal-a-Meal, which my mother had,
and the new Tilia Foodsavers, is that the older one melted a stripe
part of the bag, and the Tilia seems to melt a line only.

What does the new SAM do?

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old 14-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Melba's Jammin'
Usenet poster

ask at rec.food.preserving. Folks generally love the Tilia FoodSaver
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
Old 14-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

todd wrote:

We're registering for our wedding and have wanted a vacuum sealer for a
while. I have heard a lot about the FoodSaver line, but unfortunately
the two kitchen stores we registered at (WilliamSonoma and Hecht's) do
not carry that brand. Hecht's is the only one to carry a sealer and
they carry the "Rival Seal-A-Meal VS110-BCD" (easily found on
http://www.rivalproducts.com ).

As this looks a bit different then other food sealers I have seen, does
anyone have opinions on how well it works? (vacuum power, bag sealing,
and replacement bag availability). I would use this primarily for
freezing food and food-prep for camping trips.

I searched the history in the rec.food groups and didn't find any
definitive reviews on this product...most people asking the same
question as me.

Let me get this straight. While you already know that the FoodSaver line is
good you are wondering if the Rival product is any good because you are
pre-selecting your wedding gifts from a store that doesn't carry your first
choice?

Old 14-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

wrote:

I have the Seal-A-Meal. It works fine. The bag material for the SAM is
very thick and tough. My only complaint about this unit is that you have

One question:

A difference between the old Daisy Seal-a-Meal, which my mother had,
and the new Tilia Foodsavers, is that the older one melted a stripe
part of the bag, and the Tilia seems to melt a line only.

What does the new SAM do?

The Rival SAM only seals a thin line. I think that a wide band would be
better.

Old 14-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Steve Calvin
Usenet poster

wrote:

I have the Seal-A-Meal. It works fine. The bag material for the SAM is
very thick and tough. My only complaint about this unit is that you have

One question:

A difference between the old Daisy Seal-a-Meal, which my mother had,
and the new Tilia Foodsavers, is that the older one melted a stripe
part of the bag, and the Tilia seems to melt a line only.

What does the new SAM do?

The Rival SAM only seals a thin line. I think that a wide band would be
better.

I've never had the Rival so I can't compare either but if my Foodsaver
ever breaks (had it 4 years and many many sides of beef, venison, and
everything else) I'll order a new one the next minute. I've lost
absolutely nothing due to freezer burn since I got it. The bag material
is a tad expensive, but you can find it on sale and it's reusable after
being turned inside-out and washed in the dishwasher.

--
Steve
Old 14-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

wrote:

[...]

Costco has a good deal on the bag material. Even if you aren't a member,
you can order from their website:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=&s= 1

I got some bags from Davidson's Butcher Supply. The company said the
shipping charge was going to be one amount, but actually charged almost four
times what they indicated on the order confirmation. That brought what
looked like a good price up to more than the bags would have been at Costco.
Also, their bags were thin and had a piece of mesh attached to one side.
They evacuated very well, but don't want to stay sealed. I think it is
because they are thin and over-melt during the seal cycle. Also, since
there is loose mesh in the bag, there is no way to clean them adequately, so
they are one-use items. That make the reusable material from Costco look
even better. In addition, the mesh freezes into anything liquid in the bag,
so if you have sauce or stock, you have to completely defrost the contents
in order to remove them from them bag. If you don't completely defrost, you
get chunks of mesh torn off and incorporated in your food. It's not pretty.

Old 15-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Steve Calvin
Usenet poster

Vox Humana wrote:

snip

Costco has a good deal on the bag material. Even if you aren't a member,
you can order from their website:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...av=&cat=&s= 1

snip

Yup. I should have included that link. I had it from when you gave it
to me quite some time ago, and I'm still thankin' ya!

Believe it or not, tilia.com also has some good sales every once in a
while. I have enough bag material between the two of 'em to last us a
couple of years at least.

The other unit sounds interesting for the price but I'll probably still
get another FS when this one dies as I've had no problems with it
holding seals, etc.

--
Steve
Old 15-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

"Steve Calvin" wrote

Believe it or not, tilia.com also has some good sales every once in a
while. I have enough bag material between the two of 'em to last us a
couple of years at least.

Hey, let us know when, okay? I'm running low on bags.

nancy

Old 15-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Steve Calvin
Usenet poster

Nancy Young wrote:

"Steve Calvin" wrote

Believe it or not, tilia.com also has some good sales every once in a
while. I have enough bag material between the two of 'em to last us a
couple of years at least.

Hey, let us know when, okay? I'm running low on bags.

nancy

Will do Nancy. Haven't gotten anything from them for a while so it'll
probably be soon. ;-)

--
Steve
Old 15-04-2005, 01:45 PM
biig
Usenet poster

wrote:

I have the Seal-A-Meal. It works fine. The bag material for the SAM is
very thick and tough. My only complaint about this unit is that you have

One question:

A difference between the old Daisy Seal-a-Meal, which my mother had,
and the new Tilia Foodsavers, is that the older one melted a stripe
part of the bag, and the Tilia seems to melt a line only.

What does the new SAM do?

The Rival SAM only seals a thin line. I think that a wide band would be
better.

If you already have a Rival, why not seal twice about 1/2 inch apart?
This may seal better
Old 15-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

wrote:

I have the Seal-A-Meal. It works fine. The bag material for the SAM

is
very thick and tough. My only complaint about this unit is that you

have

One question:

A difference between the old Daisy Seal-a-Meal, which my mother had,
and the new Tilia Foodsavers, is that the older one melted a stripe
part of the bag, and the Tilia seems to melt a line only.

What does the new SAM do?

The Rival SAM only seals a thin line. I think that a wide band would be
better.

If you already have a Rival, why not seal twice about 1/2 inch apart?
This may seal better

Never thought of that. I will give it a try.

Old 15-04-2005, 07:06 PM
mysterious
Usenet poster

todd wrote:
clipped

Hi Todd: I bought a Seal-a-Meal back in '82 before it had the vacuum
process. I've used washed milk bags to store foods just like you
mentioned you'd do and it's worked really well for all these years. In
fact if I didn't have it I'd really miss it I've used it so much.

I found it really useful.
Old 15-04-2005, 07:07 PM
mysterious
Usenet poster

A difference between the old Daisy Seal-a-Meal, which my mother had,
and the new Tilia Foodsavers, is that the older one melted a stripe
part of the bag, and the Tilia seems to melt a line only.

I've the (Daisy) version that melts the line, and I've no complaints

Rival Seal-A-Meal vs. Foodsaver? Any opinions welcome... todd Cooking Equipment 17 18-04-2005 03:09 PM
Seal A Meal BigDog Barbecue 0 12-02-2005 08:40 AM
Anyone have a Rival Seal A Meal? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 05-01-2005 04:03 PM
Foodsaver opinions wanted jmk Cooking Equipment 3 28-06-2004 06:32 PM
is acorn edible? Right Across Left Hook Combo General Cooking 17 31-12-2003 06:01 AM