Michael Horowitz

Default Discouraging

Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
careful.
When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
contents.
The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

zxcvbob

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
> careful. When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched
> the contents. The same with the second, third and fourth jar. Any
> ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

Why did you pitch it? Was it moldy? Did it smell fermented?

Bob
zxcvbob

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
> careful. When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched
> the contents. The same with the second, third and fourth jar. Any
> ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

Why did you pitch it? Was it moldy? Did it smell fermented?

Bob
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
> careful.
> When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
> contents.
> The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
> Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?

BTW, how did you process it?

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
> careful.
> When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
> contents.
> The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
> Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?

BTW, how did you process it?

Wayne

Michael Horowitz

zxcvbob > wrote:

>Michael Horowitz wrote:

>Why did you pitch it? Was it moldy? Did it smell fermented?
>
>Bob

I pitched it because the lid wasn't on as tight as it was on day two,
so I assumed bacteria could have gotten in it. It wasn't moldy; I
didn't smell it.
We're always talking about the danger of spoilage. You're thinking I
was too cautious?
Are the rules different for a canned stew? - MIke

Michael Horowitz

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>
>> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
>> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
>> careful.
>> When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
>> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
>> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
>> contents.
>> The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
>> Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

>Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
>
>BTW, how did you process it?
>
>Wayne

Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?
Would you do the same with a canned stew?
I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended -
You think I was too cautious?
- MIke

zxcvbob

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>>On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>>

>>>Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
>>>small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
>>>careful.
>>>When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
>>>Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
>>>my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
>>>contents.
>>>The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
>>>Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

>>Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
>>
>>BTW, how did you process it?
>>
>>Wayne

> Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?
> Would you do the same with a canned stew?
> I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended -
> You think I was too cautious?
> - MIke

You were too cautious with the jam. Jam is acidic and has very little
available water because the sugar binds up the water. Jam very seldom
spoils, and when it does it does not go toxic with botulinum. If it
looks OK and smells OK, you can eat it.

I don't think you can be too cautious with canned stew.

I also don't know of anything that gets processed at 15 psi unless you
are at a high elevation.

Bob
George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> Michael Horowitz wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>

>>> On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in
>>> rec.food.preserving:

>>> Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
>>>
>>> BTW, how did you process it?
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?
>> Would you do the same with a canned stew?
>> I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended - You think I was
>> too cautious?
>> - MIke
>>

> You were too cautious with the jam. Jam is acidic and has very little
> available water because the sugar binds up the water. Jam very seldom
> spoils, and when it does it does not go toxic with botulinum. If it
> looks OK and smells OK, you can eat it.
>
> I don't think you can be too cautious with canned stew.
>
> I also don't know of anything that gets processed at 15 psi unless you
> are at a high elevation.
>
> Bob

And why process marmalade in a pressure canner, all that is required is
ten minutes in a BWB.

George

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 18 Feb 2005 03:20:25p, Michael Horowitz wrote in
rec.food.preserving:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in
>>rec.food.preserving:
>>
>>> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
>>> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
>>> careful. When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
>>> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
>>> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
>>> contents. The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
>>> Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

>>Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
>>
>>BTW, how did you process it?
>>
>>Wayne

> Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?

Most probably.

> Would you do the same with a canned stew?

No, but we're not talking about canned stew. Marmalade is high in both
citric acid and sugar, both of which are excellent preservative
ingredients.

> I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended -
> You think I was too cautious?

Yes.

> - MIke

Cheers!
Wayne

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Michael Horowitz wrote:

>>> Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?
>>> Would you do the same with a canned stew?
>>> I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended - You think I was
>>> too cautious?
>>> - MIke
>>>

>> You were too cautious with the jam. Jam is acidic and has very little
>> available water because the sugar binds up the water. Jam very seldom
>> spoils, and when it does it does not go toxic with botulinum. If it
>> looks OK and smells OK, you can eat it.
>>
>> I don't think you can be too cautious with canned stew.
>>
>> I also don't know of anything that gets processed at 15 psi unless you
>> are at a high elevation.
>>
>> Bob

> And why process marmalade in a pressure canner, all that is required is
> ten minutes in a BWB.
>
> George

I assumed the 15 pounds in a pressure canner was referring to the stew.

Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Michael
Horowitz > wrote:

> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
> careful. When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
> contents.

Why? If I were you, I'd use it without a worry if it wasn't moldy. You
had a vacuum seal. I've had sealed jars wherein the lid was easily
removed with two thumbs, and some where I had to apply the end of a
spoon to pry it off. If it looked ok, it likely was.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam pics added 2-7-05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Michael
Horowitz > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> >On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in
> >rec.food.preserving:
> >
> >> Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
> >> small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
> >> careful.
> >> When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
> >> Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
> >> my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
> >> contents.
> >> The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
> >> Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

> >Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
> >
> >BTW, how did you process it?
> >
> >Wayne

> Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?

Almost certainly. Most folks fears about home-canned goodies have to do
with botulism poisoning. You don't get it from fruit, especially one as
acid as grapefruit. :-)

> Would you do the same with a canned stew?

I would not.

> I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended -

Putting Food By? I can't believe that they recommend pressure canning
for it.

> You think I was too cautious?

Dunno. I'm really curious about the pressure canning for marmalade,
though. It makes no sense.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam pics added 2-7-05.
Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrtoe:

> Why? If I were you, I'd use it without a worry if it wasn't moldy. You
> had a vacuum seal. I've had sealed jars wherein the lid was easily
> removed with two thumbs, and some where I had to apply the end of a
> spoon to pry it off. If it looked ok, it likely was.

A real test is to hold the jar upside down :---)

--
Best
Greg

Serendipity

Michael Horowitz wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>>On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>>

>>>Last year (January) I made my first canning attempt - about 1/3 dozen
>>>small jars of grapefruit marmalade. I thought I was being very
>>>careful.
>>>When they cooled, each gave a satisfactory 'click'.
>>>Yesterday I picked up the first jar and pushed upward on the lid with
>>>my thumbs. With very little pressure, the lid came off. I pitched the
>>>contents.
>>>The same with the second, third and fourth jar.
>>>Any ideas what may have gone wrong? - Mike

>>Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
>>
>>BTW, how did you process it?
>>
>>Wayne

> Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?
> Would you do the same with a canned stew?
> I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended -
> You think I was too cautious?
> - MIke

Personally, I follow the adage "if in doubt, throw it out". Canned stew
would have been tossed had that happened here as it is a low acid food
and botulism could be a real threat. I would have been a little less
cautious with the marmalade as long as there was an obvious seal
(pressure = seal) since it is a high acid food. If there was *no
pressure* or the lid was bulging, I would have tossed it regardless if
it was a high or low acid food.

Serendipity

zxcvbob wrote:

> Michael Horowitz wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>

>>> On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in
>>> rec.food.preserving:

>>> Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
>>>
>>> BTW, how did you process it?
>>>
>>> Wayne

>> Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?
>> Would you do the same with a canned stew?
>> I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended - You think I was
>> too cautious?
>> - MIke
>>

> You were too cautious with the jam. Jam is acidic and has very little
> available water because the sugar binds up the water. Jam very seldom
> spoils, and when it does it does not go toxic with botulinum. If it
> looks OK and smells OK, you can eat it.
>
> I don't think you can be too cautious with canned stew.
>
> I also don't know of anything that gets processed at 15 psi unless you
> are at a high elevation.

Hopefully he didn't do that to the marmalade

> Bob

Serendipity

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Michael
> Horowitz > wrote:
>

>>Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>

>>>On Thu 17 Feb 2005 12:26:11p, Michael Horowitz wrote in
>>>rec.food.preserving:

>>>Probably nothing. The product was most likely safe. Did you taste it?
>>>
>>>BTW, how did you process it?
>>>
>>>Wayne

>>Could I have tasted it without hurting myself?

> Almost certainly. Most folks fears about home-canned goodies have to do
> with botulism poisoning. You don't get it from fruit, especially one as
> acid as grapefruit. :-)
>

>>Would you do the same with a canned stew?

> I would not.
>

>>I processed at 15psi for whatever PTB recommended -

> Putting Food By? I can't believe that they recommend pressure canning
> for it.

My copy of Putting Food By (1973) doesn't have an actual recipe for
grapefruit marmalade but it does have one for classic orange marmalade
which would be pretty close to grapefruit. The recommendation is to
process in BWB fo 10 min. I'm assuming the pressure canning question is
in relation to the stew?

>>You think I was too cautious?

> Dunno. I'm really curious about the pressure canning for marmalade,
> though. It makes no sense.
>
>>- MIke

Melba's Jammin'

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrtoe:
>
> > Why? If I were you, I'd use it without a worry if it wasn't moldy. You
> > had a vacuum seal. I've had sealed jars wherein the lid was easily
> > removed with two thumbs, and some where I had to apply the end of a
> > spoon to pry it off. If it looked ok, it likely was.

> A real test is to hold the jar upside down :---)

Or lift the jar by the lid.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> I also don't know of anything that gets processed at 15 psi unless you
> are at a high elevation.
>
> Bob

Bob, if your elevation is 1001 feet or more, and you're using a weighted
gauge pressure canner, then it's 15 pounds. 1001 feet isn't what I
consider to be "high elevation" but it's more than the 1000-feet break
for normally stated times. I guess what I'm really trying to say is
this: know your elevation and adjust processing time accordingly.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>

>>I also don't know of anything that gets processed at 15 psi unless you
>>are at a high elevation.
>>
>>Bob

> Bob, if your elevation is 1001 feet or more, and you're using a weighted
> gauge pressure canner, then it's 15 pounds. 1001 feet isn't what I
> consider to be "high elevation" but it's more than the 1000-feet break
> for normally stated times. I guess what I'm really trying to say is
> this: know your elevation and adjust processing time accordingly.

How far down do I have to adjust my processing time for 27 feet above
sea level?

George, ducking and running

Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >, zxcvbob
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>I also don't know of anything that gets processed at 15 psi unless you
>>>are at a high elevation.

>> Bob, if your elevation is 1001 feet or more, and you're using a weighted
>> gauge pressure canner, then it's 15 pounds. 1001 feet isn't what I
>> consider to be "high elevation" but it's more than the 1000-feet break
>> for normally stated times. I guess what I'm really trying to say is
>> this: know your elevation and adjust processing time accordingly.

> How far down do I have to adjust my processing time for 27 feet above
> sea level?
>
> George, ducking and running

and I'm at 4 feet below... does that mean i have to pressure can at a
negative pressure?

b/
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:
(snippage)

> >>and I'm at 4 feet below... does that mean i have to pressure can at a
> >>negative pressure?
> >>
> >>b/

> > You boys are so cute. :-) <smacks both of them upside the haid>

> Haid! Haid! Are you from Oklahoma? Ran with a fellow from Seminole, OK
> (he called it Semi-hole) when we were in the US Navy back in the late
> fifties. A. L. Simon, he said laig, haid, and such countryism's, didn't
> realize Yanqui's from Minnehaha land talked that way. <BSEG>
>
> George

Only when we're trying to be "cute." "-)
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Sam pics added 2-7-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
Michael Horowitz

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY VACUUM? - MIke