Vox Humana

Default Alternate Foodsaver Bags - Beware!

Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the Food
Save and other vacuum sealing systems. Here is a link to the message:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5d122d7115c868

I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50 bag (8
x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try. Shipping was
listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation that my credit card
would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a copy of the page for
reference.

Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried one out
but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my Seal-a-Meal. It worked
fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20 minutes. I tried again, and so
far, so good.

The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they charged
$8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and they promptly
called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly fix the problem.
Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they couldn't have shipped the
product for that amount. Also, they told me that they don't process their
own credit card orders and a lot of other BS about problems with the UPS
system the calculates their costs. I was told to look at the "agreement" I
checked when I ordered the product. I went back and found this"

"shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your order
is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary changes will be
made to your order prior to your credit card being charged. (For example if
the item you are purchasing shows "Free Shipping" and a shipping charge
shows up in the shopping cart, don't be concerned because when we review
your order the shipping charges will be removed.)"

From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have agreed to
an arbitrary cost for shipping.

The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as you
won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the order. The p
erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although he said that he would
give me "a discount" on a future order. I told him that I wouldn't do
business with them again because I would be afraid of the shipping charge.

Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with Davidson's
Butcher Supply.

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:
> Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the Food
> Save and other vacuum sealing systems. Here is a link to the message:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5d122d7115c868
>
> I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50 bag (8
> x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try. Shipping was
> listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation that my credit card
> would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a copy of the page for
> reference.
>
> Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried one out
> but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my Seal-a-Meal. It worked
> fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20 minutes. I tried again, and so
> far, so good.
>
> The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they charged
> $8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and they promptly
> called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly fix the problem.
> Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they couldn't have shipped the
> product for that amount. Also, they told me that they don't process their
> own credit card orders and a lot of other BS about problems with the UPS
> system the calculates their costs. I was told to look at the "agreement" I
> checked when I ordered the product. I went back and found this"
>
> "shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your order
> is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary changes will be
> made to your order prior to your credit card being charged. (For example if
> the item you are purchasing shows "Free Shipping" and a shipping charge
> shows up in the shopping cart, don't be concerned because when we review
> your order the shipping charges will be removed.)"
>
> From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have agreed to
> an arbitrary cost for shipping.
>
> The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as you
> won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the order. The p
> erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although he said that he would
> give me "a discount" on a future order. I told him that I wouldn't do
> business with them again because I would be afraid of the shipping charge.
>
> Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with Davidson's
> Butcher Supply.

Thank you! I was just about to ping you and see what had happened with 'em.

--
Steve

Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...
Vox Humana

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
> > Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the

Food
> > Save and other vacuum sealing systems. Here is a link to the message:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5d122d7115c868

> > I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50 bag

(8
> > x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try. Shipping was
> > listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation that my credit

card
> > would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a copy of the page for
> > reference.
> >
> > Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried one

out
> > but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my Seal-a-Meal. It

worked
> > fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20 minutes. I tried again, and so
> > far, so good.
> >
> > The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they charged
> > $8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and they promptly
> > called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly fix the problem.
> > Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they couldn't have shipped the
> > product for that amount. Also, they told me that they don't process

their
> > own credit card orders and a lot of other BS about problems with the UPS
> > system the calculates their costs. I was told to look at the "agreement"

> > checked when I ordered the product. I went back and found this"
> >
> > "shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your

order
> > is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary changes will be
> > made to your order prior to your credit card being charged. (For

example if
> > the item you are purchasing shows "Free Shipping" and a shipping charge
> > shows up in the shopping cart, don't be concerned because when we review
> > your order the shipping charges will be removed.)"
> >
> > From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have

agreed to
> > an arbitrary cost for shipping.
> >
> > The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as you
> > won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the order.

The p
> > erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although he said that he

would
> > give me "a discount" on a future order. I told him that I wouldn't do
> > business with them again because I would be afraid of the shipping

charge.

> > Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with

Davidson's
> > Butcher Supply.
> >

> Thank you! I was just about to ping you and see what had happened with

'em.

I just did the math, and with shipping included, the deal at Costco was 3
cents a foot less. Of course the Costco material was in rolls, not bags,
but that isn't an issue with me as it allow me to make the size bag I need.
Besides, they are a standard item at Costco so I don't have to wait two
weeks for them if I run out as I did the mail order bags.

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:

> I just did the math, and with shipping included, the deal at Costco was 3
> cents a foot less. Of course the Costco material was in rolls, not bags,
> but that isn't an issue with me as it allow me to make the size bag I need.
> Besides, they are a standard item at Costco so I don't have to wait two
> weeks for them if I run out as I did the mail order bags.

I've got that Costco site bookmarked and when I run out of the Tilia
rolls (in a year or so) I'll probably order from them. Thanks again.

--
Steve

Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little
bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backwards...
zxcvbob

Vox Humana wrote:
> Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the Food
> Save and other vacuum sealing systems. Here is a link to the message:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5d122d7115c868
>
> I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50 bag (8
> x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try. Shipping was
> listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation that my credit card
> would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a copy of the page for
> reference.
>
> Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried one out
> but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my Seal-a-Meal. It worked
> fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20 minutes. I tried again, and so
> far, so good.
>
> The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they charged
> $8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and they promptly
> called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly fix the problem.
> Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they couldn't have shipped the
> product for that amount. Also, they told me that they don't process their
> own credit card orders and a lot of other BS about problems with the UPS
> system the calculates their costs. I was told to look at the "agreement" I
> checked when I ordered the product. I went back and found this"
>
> "shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your order
> is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary changes will be
> made to your order prior to your credit card being charged. (For example if
> the item you are purchasing shows "Free Shipping" and a shipping charge
> shows up in the shopping cart, don't be concerned because when we review
> your order the shipping charges will be removed.)"
>
> From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have agreed to
> an arbitrary cost for shipping.
>
> The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as you
> won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the order. The p
> erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although he said that he would
> give me "a discount" on a future order. I told him that I wouldn't do
> business with them again because I would be afraid of the shipping charge.
>
> Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with Davidson's
> Butcher Supply.

Call your credit card company and "charge back" the difference between
what the invoice says and the amount that was charged. Tell them you
have an invoice for $12.90, you contacted the company and they refuse to
refund the overcharge.

If they will not charge back just the difference, charge back the entire
$19 or whatever it was.

Best regards,
Bob

Edward Alfert

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Vox Humana wrote:
>> Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the
>> Food Save and other vacuum sealing systems. Here is a link to the
>> message:
>> http://groups-

beta.google.com/group/rec.food.preserving/msg/4f5d122d71
>> 15c868
>>
>> I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50
>> bag (8 x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try.
>> Shipping was listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation
>> that my credit card would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a
>> copy of the page for reference.
>>
>> Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried
>> one out but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my
>> Seal-a-Meal. It worked fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20
>> minutes. I tried again, and so far, so good.
>>
>> The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they
>> charged $8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and
>> they promptly called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly
>> fix the problem. Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they
>> couldn't have shipped the product for that amount. Also, they told
>> me that they don't process their own credit card orders and a lot of
>> other BS about problems with the UPS system the calculates their
>> costs. I was told to look at the "agreement" I checked when I ordered
>> the product. I went back and found this"
>>
>> "shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your
>> order is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary
>> changes will be made to your order prior to your credit card being
>> charged. (For example if the item you are purchasing shows "Free
>> Shipping" and a shipping charge shows up in the shopping cart, don't
>> be concerned because when we review your order the shipping charges
>> will be removed.)"
>>
>> From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have
>> agreed to an arbitrary cost for shipping.
>>
>> The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as
>> you won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the
>> order. The p erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although
>> he said that he would give me "a discount" on a future order. I told
>> him that I wouldn't do business with them again because I would be
>> afraid of the shipping charge.
>>
>> Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with
>> Davidson's Butcher Supply.
>>

> Call your credit card company and "charge back" the difference between
> what the invoice says and the amount that was charged. Tell them you
> have an invoice for $12.90, you contacted the company and they refuse
> to refund the overcharge.
>
> If they will not charge back just the difference, charge back the
> entire $19 or whatever it was.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Vox,

I agree with Bob, contact your credit card company for a charge back. A
merchant should adhere to their own invoices, even if it is a pricing
mistake.

It is actually very stupid of merchants not to try and please the
customer for several reasons.

(1) They will lose that customer if they don't.
(2) It costs more to acquire a new customer (because of advertising,
marketing, and other expenses) than to keep a current customers (that is
why many companies have customer loyalty programs to give discounts to
current customers).
(3) Customer can always attempt to get problem resolved via other means
that will negatively impact the merchant.
(3a) Bad word-of-mouth that spreads quickly (particularly in this
Internet age).
(3b) Customer can contact credit card company and ask for a chargeback
that costs the merchant about $25-$35 chargeback fee in addition to the
charged back amount of the order. And usually the burden of proof is
with the merchant and not the credit card holder. The credit card
companies tend to lean towards credit card holder.
(3c) Customer can contact Better Business Beauru or other consumer
activist organizations.
(3d) Customer can contact government organizations like State Attorney's
office or whomever handles "truth-in-advertising" and other consumer
issues.

--
Edward Alfert
http://www.rootmode.com/

Vox Humana

"Edward Alfert" > wrote in message
. 4...
> [...]

> current customers).
> (3) Customer can always attempt to get problem resolved via other means
> that will negatively impact the merchant.
> (3a) Bad word-of-mouth that spreads quickly (particularly in this
> Internet age).
> (3b) Customer can contact credit card company and ask for a chargeback
> that costs the merchant about $25-$35 chargeback fee in addition to the
> charged back amount of the order. And usually the burden of proof is
> with the merchant and not the credit card holder. The credit card
> companies tend to lean towards credit card holder.
> (3c) Customer can contact Better Business Beauru or other consumer
> activist organizations.
> (3d) Customer can contact government organizations like State Attorney's
> office or whomever handles "truth-in-advertising" and other consumer

All good points. Anyone in business knows that occasionally you will make a
mistake. Most of us hope that the mistake is only for $6. Anytime I have
made an error I simply correct the mistake and move on. You don't make
money on every transaction. I guess what really ****ed me off was the
attitude. First I was told that I had been "had" by some "got-ya" clause in
their agreement. Then I was told that it was a known problem, but "so
what." Then I was told that the bags at Costco would cost far more when I
knew better. When I pointed out that it took 15 days to get an envelope
from LA to Cincinnati, for a cost of $8 I was told that this was normal!
Their remedy was to offer an undetermined discount on a future order. I
though "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice ......

sshay

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the Food
> Save and other vacuum sealing systems. Here is a link to the message:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5d122d7115c868

> I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50 bag (8
> x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try. Shipping was
> listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation that my credit card
> would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a copy of the page for
> reference.
>
> Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried one

out
> but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my Seal-a-Meal. It

worked
> fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20 minutes. I tried again, and so
> far, so good.
>
> The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they charged
> $8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and they promptly
> called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly fix the problem.
> Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they couldn't have shipped the
> product for that amount. Also, they told me that they don't process their
> own credit card orders and a lot of other BS about problems with the UPS
> system the calculates their costs. I was told to look at the "agreement" I
> checked when I ordered the product. I went back and found this"
>
> "shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your

order
> is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary changes will be
> made to your order prior to your credit card being charged. (For example

if
> the item you are purchasing shows "Free Shipping" and a shipping charge
> shows up in the shopping cart, don't be concerned because when we review
> your order the shipping charges will be removed.)"
>
> From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have agreed

> an arbitrary cost for shipping.
>
> The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as you
> won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the order. The

> erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although he said that he

would
> give me "a discount" on a future order. I told him that I wouldn't do
> business with them again because I would be afraid of the shipping charge.
>
> Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with Davidson's
> Butcher Supply.
>
> I ordered 50 bags from them on Jan. 23, 2005 and I have not heard

anything from them yet. Mine are 10x14 and the total is $ 15.45 plus $2.50
for shipping. I sure hope they don't try and overcharge me. I have the
recipt from thier site right here.

Vox Humana

"sshay" > wrote in message

> [...]

> > an arbitrary cost for shipping.
> >
> > The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as you
> > won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the order.

The
> > erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although he said that he

> would
> > give me "a discount" on a future order. I told him that I wouldn't do
> > business with them again because I would be afraid of the shipping

charge.

> > Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with

Davidson's
> > Butcher Supply.
> >
> > I ordered 50 bags from them on Jan. 23, 2005 and I have not heard

> anything from them yet. Mine are 10x14 and the total is $ 15.45 plus $2.50
> for shipping. I sure hope they don't try and overcharge me. I have the

I'd say that you can count on being charged more. They didn't process my
order for 4 days, so the charge may have hit your account today or
yesterday. They sent the bags in a shipping envelope and the total weight
was 2 pounds. If you go to UPS.com you can estimate the shipping charges.
Their zip code is 90040. Select the option where you drop off the package
to UPS. That will be the amount they charge for shipping - at least it was
in my case. It took 15 days for the bags to reach me after I placed the
order! They were very aware of the problem and tried to pass it off as MY
fault. "Keith" kept saying that they had the right to adjust the charges.
It was quite infuriating. I suggest that if you talk with them that you
tell them that you are aware of my situation. I'll bet that he remembers
the person that he talked with in Cincinnati - I can about guarantee it as I
was quite blunt with him.

They know their system isn't working right and they need to fix it or close
the site. Good luck. Let me know what happens. Maybe if enough people
complain - perhaps to the CA Attorney General's office, something will be
done about it. I wouldn't have ordered from them knowing that the shipping
costs would be 80% of the purchase price.

Brian Mailman

Vox Humana wrote:

> They know their system isn't working right and they need to fix it or close
> the site. Good luck. Let me know what happens. Maybe if enough people
> complain - perhaps to the CA Attorney General's office, something will be
> done about it. I wouldn't have ordered from them knowing that the shipping
> costs would be 80% of the purchase price.

If you'e anywhere near the SF Bay area, oontact Michael Finney at "7 On
Your Side" the consumer affairs reporter.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/aboutus/b...el_finney.html

The 7 on Your Side link is one the left frame.

B/

Vox Humana

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > They know their system isn't working right and they need to fix it or

close
> > the site. Good luck. Let me know what happens. Maybe if enough people
> > complain - perhaps to the CA Attorney General's office, something will

be
> > done about it. I wouldn't have ordered from them knowing that the

shipping
> > costs would be 80% of the purchase price.

> If you'e anywhere near the SF Bay area, oontact Michael Finney at "7 On
> Your Side" the consumer affairs reporter.
> http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/aboutus/b...el_finney.html
>
> The 7 on Your Side link is one the left frame.

Thanks. The are in LA, but there might be a local TV station with a
consumer advocate.

Charles Gifford

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message

> If you'e anywhere near the SF Bay area, oontact Michael Finney at "7 On
> Your Side" the consumer affairs reporter.
> http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/aboutus/b...el_finney.html
>
> The 7 on Your Side link is one the left frame.
>
> B/

Brian! How nice to see you! Best wishes from Sandy Eggo!

Charlie

Brian Mailman