Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Saturday, thinking about preserving something

Miserable morning, light mist falling, low forties temp, warmed up some
by 1500, 47f, no rain, some sunshine. There is hope that spring may be
just around the corner.

Put some compost in the long bed and raked it in. Cleaned out the green
peas and the cabbage from one of the short beds. Will slice up the
cabbage tomorrow and try to turn it into sauerkraut in a
bucket."Preserving part of message." Prefer that to cooked cabbage on a
regular basis. Need to clean out the other short bed and make some more
mix to amend that one and ready it for planting in mid March to early
April. Going to plant some ginger this year along the back fence, maybe
just one joint of ginger planted. Should provide us with all the ginger
we would need for a year or so. I probably will sugar and dehydrate a
bunch of it if we get a crop. Otherwise the gardens will be the usual,
crowder peas, green beans, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, more lettuce and
whatever else strikes our fancy. We miss the Sulphur garden, spent
twenty years amending that dirt and you just had to toss in some seeds
and jump back. Miss the mature fruit trees too.

Just finished pinching off the blossoms on the new blueberries, gives
the roots a jump in energy and should help to produce a better crop next
year. The pear tree is in bud and should be opening blossoms soon.
Finished picking the last kumquat today. We have been nurturing a small
bed of dewberries that crept under the fence and are now climbing some
string. Lots of dill weed up from last years reseed, and all the other
herbs are doing well too.

Need to weed eat the darned rye grass and try to keep it from seeding. I
hope the dairy farmer two miles away gives up seeding rye grass all the
time as it is a pain to get rid of where it's not wanted. We're just
trying to stay warm and still get things done.

George