Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default PBDCs!

picked yesterday, likely will be putting up
some quarts of them this week...

Ma roasted a few beets last night and they
were pretty yummy that ways too.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/31/2014 12:47 PM, songbird wrote:
> picked yesterday, likely will be putting up
> some quarts of them this week...
>
> Ma roasted a few beets last night and they
> were pretty yummy that ways too.
>

> songbird

I only like them pickled but we grow PBDCs for dear wife who is a damned
Yankee and loves stuff like that. <G>

We're not growing any this fall, thank goodness. I'm trying to get her
to stop planting too many !!@#$ cabbages and broccoli too. How much of
those can two old people eat anyway.

I picked a small batch of sweet chiles today and will most likely pickle
them tomorrow as I do like pickled chiles. The lone cucumber plant
succumbed to the cold yesterday. It was only 54F though. Radishes coming
in like gang busters. Might just pickle a mess of those. The lettuce and
spinach didn't come up as they should have so I watered the heck out of
them today. Tomatoes are still making but won't last much longer. The
sugar snap peas are above ground and I'm waiting for them to start climbing.

Down to two pints and four frozen packages of green beans. Reckon we
will grow green beans again this coming spring. Have six chard plants
that are still making. Will cook a couple of wee tenderloin beef steaks
with chard and a small yellow squash casserole, should be tasty and have
a loaf of zucchini bread in the machine now.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

songbird. What does PBDC stand for? John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ah yes, now my memory clicked in. Didn't she win a prize for some that she
made, but said she would never eat the things? John

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
>songbird wrote:

>> picked yesterday, likely will be putting up
>> some quarts of them this week...
>>
>> Ma roasted a few beets last night and they
>> were pretty yummy that ways too.
>>

> I only like them pickled but we grow PBDCs for dear wife who is a damned
> Yankee and loves stuff like that. <G>
>
> We're not growing any this fall, thank goodness. I'm trying to get her
> to stop planting too many !!@#$ cabbages and broccoli too. How much of
> those can two old people eat anyway.

we like saurkraut and it takes a lot of cabbage to make
saurkraut. dried broccoli flakes are good for adding to
many soups.

> I picked a small batch of sweet chiles today and will most likely pickle
> them tomorrow as I do like pickled chiles. The lone cucumber plant
> succumbed to the cold yesterday. It was only 54F though. Radishes coming
> in like gang busters. Might just pickle a mess of those. The lettuce and
> spinach didn't come up as they should have so I watered the heck out of
> them today. Tomatoes are still making but won't last much longer. The
> sugar snap peas are above ground and I'm waiting for them to start climbing.

our snap peas had very poor germination this year and
the few that made it above ground were regularly eaten
by the woodchucks. the few that remained and actually
grew had a few pods on them, and i left them so i could
have seeds for next year, but Ma cleaned them up and
dumped them, so i'll have to buy new seeds again.

dunno what to suggest about lettuce and spinach
germination, i've not ever had a problem with them when
i've grown them. they might like heavier soils to hold
the moisture more if the seeds are so tiny.

kicking ideas around a bit:

- planting a little deeper than recommended
- coating them with a layer of clay
(wet them slightly and then roll them in powdered clay
a few times)
- perhaps using some kind of moisture holder may help
(aloe vera jell?)

> Down to two pints and four frozen packages of green beans. Reckon we
> will grow green beans again this coming spring. Have six chard plants
> that are still making. Will cook a couple of wee tenderloin beef steaks
> with chard and a small yellow squash casserole, should be tasty and have
> a loaf of zucchini bread in the machine now.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/3/2014 10:55 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> picked yesterday, likely will be putting up
>>> some quarts of them this week...
>>>
>>> Ma roasted a few beets last night and they
>>> were pretty yummy that ways too.
>>>

>> I only like them pickled but we grow PBDCs for dear wife who is a damned
>> Yankee and loves stuff like that. <G>
>>
>> We're not growing any this fall, thank goodness. I'm trying to get her
>> to stop planting too many !!@#$ cabbages and broccoli too. How much of
>> those can two old people eat anyway.

> we like saurkraut and it takes a lot of cabbage to make
> saurkraut. dried broccoli flakes are good for adding to
> many soups.

We like kraut too, problem is the heat and humidity here. Every time I
try to make kraut it goes bad quickly. I think your climate is much
cooler. For example, we're in the low sixties this morning.

>> I picked a small batch of sweet chiles today and will most likely pickle
>> them tomorrow as I do like pickled chiles. The lone cucumber plant
>> succumbed to the cold yesterday. It was only 54F though. Radishes coming
>> in like gang busters. Might just pickle a mess of those. The lettuce and
>> spinach didn't come up as they should have so I watered the heck out of
>> them today. Tomatoes are still making but won't last much longer. The
>> sugar snap peas are above ground and I'm waiting for them to start climbing.

> our snap peas had very poor germination this year and
> the few that made it above ground were regularly eaten
> by the woodchucks. the few that remained and actually
> grew had a few pods on them, and i left them so i could
> have seeds for next year, but Ma cleaned them up and
> dumped them, so i'll have to buy new seeds again.
>
> dunno what to suggest about lettuce and spinach
> germination, i've not ever had a problem with them when
> i've grown them. they might like heavier soils to hold
> the moisture more if the seeds are so tiny.
>
> kicking ideas around a bit:
>
> - planting a little deeper than recommended
> - coating them with a layer of clay
> (wet them slightly and then roll them in powdered clay
> a few times)
> - perhaps using some kind of moisture holder may help
> (aloe vera jell?)

I'm pretty sure it is just old seed, DW saves stuff for years and then
wonders why it doesn't germinate.

>> Down to two pints and four frozen packages of green beans. Reckon we
>> will grow green beans again this coming spring. Have six chard plants
>> that are still making. Will cook a couple of wee tenderloin beef steaks
>> with chard and a small yellow squash casserole, should be tasty and have
>> a loaf of zucchini bread in the machine now.

> songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We like kraut too, problem is the heat and humidity here. Every time I
> try to make kraut it goes bad quickly. I think your climate is much
> cooler. For example, we're in the low sixties this morning.

i'm certainly not a kraut expert, so i cannot
really say how much temperature makes a difference.

i've never made kimchi for example, but the
folks in the asian tropics get by, might be
worth exploring, kimchi light (less heat )?

> I'm pretty sure it is just old seed, DW saves stuff for years and then
> wonders why it doesn't germinate.

heheh, probably...

once in a while i get old containers of wild flower
seeds that i've packed away and scatter them around
the less formal corners of the yard/gardens, a few
may sprout and take.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/4/2014 5:00 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> We like kraut too, problem is the heat and humidity here. Every time I
>> try to make kraut it goes bad quickly. I think your climate is much
>> cooler. For example, we're in the low sixties this morning.

> i'm certainly not a kraut expert, so i cannot
> really say how much temperature makes a difference.
>
> i've never made kimchi for example, but the
> folks in the asian tropics get by, might be
> worth exploring, kimchi light (less heat )?

>> I'm pretty sure it is just old seed, DW saves stuff for years and then
>> wonders why it doesn't germinate.

> heheh, probably...
>
> once in a while i get old containers of wild flower
> seeds that i've packed away and scatter them around
> the less formal corners of the yard/gardens, a few
> may sprout and take.
>

> songbird

No thank you, I got drunk enough once in Korea to eat kimchi. Terrible
stuff to me, I was sick for a week. I just buy a can of kraut once in
awhile for old times sake. <G>

My favorite cabbage dish is lightly sauteed with some butter on top. I
eat chard the same way and it's a lot easier to grow here.

George, off to vote

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> My favorite cabbage dish is lightly sauteed with some butter on top. I
> eat chard the same way and it's a lot easier to grow here.

I love kraut, and Grandma (dad's side) used to serve raw sliced cabbage
with a small dish of salt as a side dish at family meals, but for my
FAVORITE cabbage dish read on...

Mom's side is German/Russian, so holopchi were always on the menu. I
don't make them from a recipe, though. Here's how I do it, without
amounts, alas. Note that there are MANY variations on this.

Core cabbage and pour boiling water into it several times until leaves
soften and separate. This can take 30 - 60 minutes. Remove large ribs
from leaves with a sharp knife. Very large leaves can be halved..

Sautee onion, cook ground beef, pork or mix (venison or other game
would work). combine with cooked rice, salt, pepper and tomato juice to
just moisten slightly.

Line baking dish with outer cabbage leaves (use several freezer ready
containers if making a large batch).

Roll the rice mix in the cabbage leaves, tucking in the ends. The
result should look like a log or bedroll.

Layer in baking dish, pour tomato juice over cabbage rolls to barely
cover.

Cover dish with foil, a lid, or outer cabbage leaves if you have enough.

Bake at 325 for about two hours. Freeze to store.

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> No thank you, I got drunk enough once in Korea to eat kimchi. Terrible
> stuff to me, I was sick for a week. I just buy a can of kraut once in
> awhile for old times sake. <G>

i've never tried it myself. i like a little heat once
in a while, but not a lot. stuff looks a bit too hot so
i avoid it.

> My favorite cabbage dish is lightly sauteed with some butter on top. I
> eat chard the same way and it's a lot easier to grow here.

i like cabbage all ways, shredded into coleslaw is great,
lightly steamed, broiled, boiled, rolled with stuffing, kraut,
.... it's all good and makes me hungry just thinking about it.

> George, off to vote

yeah, we did that too.

wish i had a video of all the stuff that happened.
funny stuff from Ma.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Dave Balderstone wrote:
> Cover dish with foil, a lid, or outer cabbage leaves if you have enough.
>
> Bake at 325 for about two hours. Freeze to store.

sounds great to me Dave.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/31/2014 12:47 PM, songbird wrote:
> picked yesterday, likely will be putting up
> some quarts of them this week...
>
> Ma roasted a few beets last night and they
> were pretty yummy that ways too.
>

> songbird

I grew beets in my garden a few (20) years ago; I thought maybe I just
didn't like them because I hadn't tried *good* fresh beets.

Nope, that wasn't it.

I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
scaring small children. ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> I grew beets in my garden a few (20) years ago; I thought maybe I just
> didn't like them because I hadn't tried *good* fresh beets.
>
> Nope, that wasn't it.

haha!

> I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
> tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
> scaring small children. ;-)

i've liked them my whole life, as a kid i was
one of those who liked my veggies, liver and
such. i don't cook the greens here (Ma gets sick
at the smell), but the roots are fine. i'd eat the
greens and grow chard too if i could actually use
them. i think i barely squeaked by on the fennel
this past year. she didn't object to the smell of
that cooking.

i ran out and picked a bunch of turnips to cook
up the other day when we had a break in the weather
and now i can eat them for the next week. i've
tried turnip greens, but i'm not sure they appeal
to me, i'll try them again sometime i'm sure. i'm
trying to set up a turnip patch which regenerates
itself so i don't have to keep reseeding them. it
is in an area that has alfalfa and trefoil growing
and so they get rather huge in there. the soil
is heavy clay and has been left alone for a few
years other than the chopping and dropping of the
alfalfa and trefoil. i'm liking how that area is
coming along. i'm also starting to get strawberries
established in there so they can wind around and
use up some of those nutrients.

rutabagas grow very well here too, but they are
not as good as the purple globe topped turnips so
i'll be turning them under for worm food when i
get a chance.

whew! i'm in a rambly mood today!

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/8/2014 11:07 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> On 10/31/2014 12:47 PM, songbird wrote:
>> picked yesterday, likely will be putting up
>> some quarts of them this week...
>>
>> Ma roasted a few beets last night and they
>> were pretty yummy that ways too.
>>

>> songbird

> I grew beets in my garden a few (20) years ago; I thought maybe I just
> didn't like them because I hadn't tried *good* fresh beets.
>
> Nope, that wasn't it.
>
> I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
> tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
> scaring small children. ;-)
>
> Bob

You da Man Bob! I only eat them when they're pickled, pickling kills
that nasty idea that you just ate some dirt chunks. <G>

George, wearing long pants and a flannel shirt for the first time this
winter
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/9/2014 7:50 AM, songbird wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> I grew beets in my garden a few (20) years ago; I thought maybe I just
>> didn't like them because I hadn't tried *good* fresh beets.
>>
>> Nope, that wasn't it.

> haha!
>

>> I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
>> tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
>> scaring small children. ;-)

> i've liked them my whole life, as a kid i was
> one of those who liked my veggies, liver and
> such. i don't cook the greens here (Ma gets sick
> at the smell), but the roots are fine. i'd eat the
> greens and grow chard too if i could actually use
> them. i think i barely squeaked by on the fennel
> this past year. she didn't object to the smell of
> that cooking.
>
> i ran out and picked a bunch of turnips to cook
> up the other day when we had a break in the weather
> and now i can eat them for the next week. i've
> tried turnip greens, but i'm not sure they appeal
> to me, i'll try them again sometime i'm sure. i'm
> trying to set up a turnip patch which regenerates
> itself so i don't have to keep reseeding them. it
> is in an area that has alfalfa and trefoil growing
> and so they get rather huge in there. the soil
> is heavy clay and has been left alone for a few
> years other than the chopping and dropping of the
> alfalfa and trefoil. i'm liking how that area is
> coming along. i'm also starting to get strawberries
> established in there so they can wind around and
> use up some of those nutrients.
>
> rutabagas grow very well here too, but they are
> not as good as the purple globe topped turnips so
> i'll be turning them under for worm food when i
> get a chance.
>
> whew! i'm in a rambly mood today!
>

> songbird

I don't like turnip either, we used to feed them to the cows when I was
a boy (very long time ago). My folks would eat them but they grew up
poor, as in, whatever will grow you will eat or go hungry. Don't eat
turnip, beet, or mustard greens, do love chard and spinach, Mom tried to
get me to eat dock once but it smelled like cat urine so I wouldn't eat it.

Maybe, sorta, possibly, will pickle some radishes that got big and hot
in a hurry, today or tomorrow. Picked a two-quart bucket of sweet chiles
yesterday and chopped them, will vacuum pack them today. Made a big beef
stew yesterday and had middle grandson and his son over for dinner last
night. At 6'5" tall and 250 lbs grandson about cleaned out the pot! Made
a persimmon sherbet from 'simmons I pulped and froze in 2011, came out
very good, may just use up the other fifteen bags as sherbet. Pear
mincemeat is about to hit the three year mark, put up in late 2011 too,
made a crust cake with about a pint, will just eat the other half of the
quart. Still have two more jars so it will be pear mincemeat something
until Christmas. <G>

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Beets and winter (was PBDCs!)

On 11/9/2014 8:59 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 11/8/2014 11:07 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> On 10/31/2014 12:47 PM, songbird wrote:
>>> picked yesterday, likely will be putting up
>>> some quarts of them this week...
>>>
>>> Ma roasted a few beets last night and they
>>> were pretty yummy that ways too.
>>>

>>> songbird

>> I grew beets in my garden a few (20) years ago; I thought maybe I just
>> didn't like them because I hadn't tried *good* fresh beets.
>>
>> Nope, that wasn't it.
>>
>> I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
>> tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
>> scaring small children. ;-)
>>
>> Bob

> You da Man Bob! I only eat them when they're pickled, pickling kills
> that nasty idea that you just ate some dirt chunks. <G>
>
> George, wearing long pants and a flannel shirt for the first time this
> winter

I really like beets but we don't eat them often--I just don't think of
them when I'm looking for a vegetable. I really like them pickled or
hot with butter.

George: It's snowing here in the Denver area, and the temp has gone
from ~70 yesterday to 25 today. Winter's here. :-(

glloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/10/2014 4:25 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 11/9/2014 8:59 AM, George Shirley wrote:

>>> I grew beets in my garden a few (20) years ago; I thought maybe I just
>>> didn't like them because I hadn't tried *good* fresh beets.
>>>
>>> Nope, that wasn't it.
>>>
>>> I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
>>> tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
>>> scaring small children. ;-)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> You da Man Bob! I only eat them when they're pickled, pickling kills
>> that nasty idea that you just ate some dirt chunks. <G>
>>
>> George, wearing long pants and a flannel shirt for the first time this
>> winter

> I really like beets but we don't eat them often--I just don't think of
> them when I'm looking for a vegetable. I really like them pickled or
> hot with butter.
>
> George: It's snowing here in the Denver area, and the temp has gone
> from ~70 yesterday to 25 today. Winter's here. :-(
>
> glloria p

Don't even use that S word around me. Weather people are saying it might
be a light freeze next week. I'm headed further south if this keeps on.
Don't like California, to many forest fires and idiots running around.
Don't want Mexico, to dangerous nowadays, maybe Belize or Costa Rica,
both are almost American colonies anyway.

Well, I'll head south if Miz Anne lets me that is. <G>

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> You da Man Bob! I only eat them when they're pickled, pickling kills
> that nasty idea that you just ate some dirt chunks. <G>

i don't mind that taste or smell at all.
reminds me of good soil (without the grit).

> George, wearing long pants and a flannel shirt for the first time this
> winter

curl up to Tilly Dawg and enjoy the friendly
warmth.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:
> I really like beets but we don't eat them often--I just don't think of
> them when I'm looking for a vegetable. I really like them pickled or
> hot with butter.

borscht is pretty good too, but nobody here
will make it. most the time we steam or roast
them if they haven't been pickled. for years
we spent a lot of time peeling and scrubbing
but more recently we are just getting the dirt
off and peeling a little bit and scrubbing the
rest and that leaves more of the skin (and
dirt flavor! ) intact. roasting them
along with some carrots and onions sweetens
them up even more.

> George: It's snowing here in the Denver area, and the temp has gone
> from ~70 yesterday to 25 today. Winter's here. :-(

the bright side is that every bit of snow you
folks get out there is sorely needed moisture.
hang in there gloria and keep warm!

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> I don't like turnip either, we used to feed them to the cows when I was
> a boy (very long time ago). My folks would eat them but they grew up
> poor, as in, whatever will grow you will eat or go hungry. Don't eat
> turnip, beet, or mustard greens, do love chard and spinach, Mom tried to
> get me to eat dock once but it smelled like cat urine so I wouldn't eat it.

yeah, i could see how that could put a person
off...

> Maybe, sorta, possibly, will pickle some radishes that got big and hot
> in a hurry, today or tomorrow. Picked a two-quart bucket of sweet chiles
> yesterday and chopped them, will vacuum pack them today. Made a big beef
> stew yesterday and had middle grandson and his son over for dinner last
> night. At 6'5" tall and 250 lbs grandson about cleaned out the pot! Made
> a persimmon sherbet from 'simmons I pulped and froze in 2011, came out
> very good, may just use up the other fifteen bags as sherbet. Pear
> mincemeat is about to hit the three year mark, put up in late 2011 too,
> made a crust cake with about a pint, will just eat the other half of the
> quart. Still have two more jars so it will be pear mincemeat something
> until Christmas. <G>

if someone handed me a bunch of persimmons i
wouldn't know what to do with them or even if
they were any good. i suppose i could figure it
out these days with all this on-line world now
at my finger tips... but it is more interesting
to have a conversation, so what do you do with
them? how do you know they are good?

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >
George Shirley > writes:
>On 11/8/2014 11:07 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>> I did figure out you're supposed to eat the leaves, not the roots. Beet
>> tops are wonderful greens. Beet roots are good for throwing at cars and
>> scaring small children. ;-)
>>
>> Bob

>You da Man Bob! I only eat them when they're pickled, pickling kills
>that nasty idea that you just ate some dirt chunks. <G>

I'm coming around to that view. I made pot roast last week, grabbed
some well matured carrots from the garden and thought I'd grab beats
as well.

The gravy tastes just a bit like I didn't get the beat rinsed off
well enough. Roasting is the next try. Then pickled or composted.

--
Drew Lawson

I only came in search of answers, never planned to sell my soul
I only came in search of something left that I could call my own
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Drew Lawson wrote:
> I'm coming around to that view. I made pot roast last week, grabbed
> some well matured carrots from the garden and thought I'd grab beats
> as well.
>
> The gravy tastes just a bit like I didn't get the beat rinsed off
> well enough. Roasting is the next try. Then pickled or composted.

roasting will make them more sweet and also does
not eliminate the taste you are probably objecting
to...

pickled works well, i steam them for a while with
chopped onion on top (reserving some chopped onions
until later), and then after they are steamed i
add the pickle brine (i mix cider vinegar, water and
sugar - making it a little strong because the beets
absorb some of it), bring it up to temperature and
then finish in the jars to seal.

very simple, and everyone who likes PBDCs in my
family loves them.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/10/2014 8:09 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> Don't even use that S word around me. Weather people are saying it might
> be a light freeze next week. I'm headed further south if this keeps on.
> Don't like California, to many forest fires and idiots running around.
> Don't want Mexico, to dangerous nowadays, maybe Belize or Costa Rica,
> both are almost American colonies anyway.
>
> Well, I'll head south if Miz Anne lets me that is. <G>
>
> George

Think about Panama. Lots of expats living there full and part time.
Not sure about gardening amidst the wildlife there, however.

gloria p