Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Jars at a decent price

If you have preserved for any length of time, you know the price of
jars. lids.pectin, etc. has kept climbing to ridiculous heights.

Our local Costco yesterday had many cases of Ball pint and quart jars,
pints $5.99 and quarts $6.99. Not great but much cheaper than any
other source here (Denver area.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:46:35 -0600, gloria p >
wrote:

>If you have preserved for any length of time, you know the price of
>jars. lids.pectin, etc. has kept climbing to ridiculous heights.
>
>Our local Costco yesterday had many cases of Ball pint and quart jars,
>pints $5.99 and quarts $6.99. Not great but much cheaper than any
>other source here (Denver area.)
>
>gloria p

I am jealous. My Costco does not have jars.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/22/2014 5:46 PM, gloria p wrote:

> If you have preserved for any length of time, you know the price of
> jars. lids.pectin, etc. has kept climbing to ridiculous heights.
>
> Our local Costco yesterday had many cases of Ball pint and quart jars,
> pints $5.99 and quarts $6.99. Not great but much cheaper than any
> other source here (Denver area.)
>
> gloria p

Pints are averaging about $8.00 a case around here, some at 9 bucks. I
generally don't need many quarts so haven't priced them. I got a good
deal on Amazon last year for four cases of pints so went for it, so far
haven't even cracked a case yet.

After the spring/summer season most of the stores here cut pints back to
about seven bucks a case. I buy my lids on line, 350 in a tube for
standard mouth. So far still have over 200 in the tube.

I hit a church sale in a rural community not far from here the other day
and snagged a bunch of half pints and some 10 ounce jars, all standard
Mason jars and some of the little round half pints. Got them for ten
cents each. Last time I did that was in Louisiana and I got over 200
assorted jars for ten cents each. Tossed the mayo jars in the recycling
bin and kept the good ones. Wrote it all off for charity. <G>

Unfortunately the community we live in now is not much into doing home
anything. I see the Chinese and pizza joint cars going by every night.
We have at least six Mexican restaurants, four Chinese, and every fast
food name in the US within a mile of us. No wonder these people are
always broke.

George, who put up twelve bags of chopped sweet chiles today
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/22/2014 5:22 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:46:35 -0600, gloria p >
> wrote:
>

>> If you have preserved for any length of time, you know the price of
>> jars. lids.pectin, etc. has kept climbing to ridiculous heights.
>>
>> Our local Costco yesterday had many cases of Ball pint and quart jars,
>> pints $5.99 and quarts $6.99. Not great but much cheaper than any
>> other source here (Denver area.)
>>
>> gloria p

> I am jealous. My Costco does not have jars.
>
> Boron

I had never seen them there until yesterday. Very seasonal.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:03:10 -0600, gloria p >
wrote:

>On 7/22/2014 5:22 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:46:35 -0600, gloria p >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> If you have preserved for any length of time, you know the price of
>>> jars. lids.pectin, etc. has kept climbing to ridiculous heights.
>>>
>>> Our local Costco yesterday had many cases of Ball pint and quart jars,
>>> pints $5.99 and quarts $6.99. Not great but much cheaper than any
>>> other source here (Denver area.)
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I am jealous. My Costco does not have jars.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>I had never seen them there until yesterday. Very seasonal.
>
>gloria p

I will check this weekend.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Boron Elgar wrote:
> I will check this weekend.

worth a phone call first.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:00:00 -0400, songbird >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> I will check this weekend.

> worth a phone call first.
>

> songbird

My local Costco is quite near the house and I am there at least once a
week, although I must say that they are terrific when called with a
question..

Boron
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria p View Post
If you have preserved for any length of time, you know the price of
jars. lids.pectin, etc. has kept climbing to ridiculous heights.

Our local Costco yesterday had many cases of Ball pint and quart jars,
pints $5.99 and quarts $6.99. Not great but much cheaper than any
other source here (Denver area.)

gloria p
Well that sounds like a great price and got to be better than the Homie Sense jars from Wally World made by Christian slave laborers over in Red China. I dont do much high pressure work but they seem to do ok for pickled sausage etc. Know the last case of quarts was closer to 8 than to 7. Day in and day out WW is best.