Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Opportunity?

Reading the last few posts made me wonder--is there an opportunity for
income for someone to sell both canning supplies and preserving books
at local farmer's markets? (I'm not about to do it, but I'm intrigued
at the thought of that kind of one-stop-shopping.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/10/2012 5:00 PM, gloria p wrote:

> Reading the last few posts made me wonder--is there an opportunity for
> income for someone to sell both canning supplies and preserving books
> at local farmer's markets? (I'm not about to do it, but I'm intrigued at
> the thought of that kind of one-stop-shopping.)
>
> gloria p

We hit four or five local farmer's markets around here and I've never
seen anyone selling such. Most people here just go to Walmart and buy
the Ball Blue Book and whatever they need at the time.

For an area with a large heavy industrial base we do have a lot of
farmers and gardeners.

Personally I haunt the thrift stores, going at least twice a month. I
have bought so many jars, etc. at most of them they keep a list of what
I'm looking for handy, one outfit even calls me if they get something on
the list.

As to money and opportunity in such, there are innumerable web sites
that sell those things, generally at a higher price than the local
stores. We have three hardware stores around here that are very old,
still belong to the same families, and they stock canning supplies. Once
again everything is high priced today so I still haunt church sales,
thrift sales, and even garage sales that are in areas associated with
farm folk.

If you think there is an opportunity in your area do a little research,
ie. do a survey amongst you possible clients, then go for it. Be aware
that you will have to buy in bulk in order to make a decent profit.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> We hit four or five local farmer's markets around here and I've never
> seen anyone selling such. Most people here just go to Walmart and buy

> Personally I haunt the thrift stores, going at least twice a month. I
> have bought so many jars, etc. at most of them they keep a list of what
> I'm looking for handy, one outfit even calls me if they get something on
> the list.

Jars in grocery stores or places like Big Lots have averaged ~$6-7 a
case. Thrift stores here usually charge $.50 apiece. Yard sales can
provide incredible deals, like $1 a case from people who are getting rid
of "grandma's junk" and they often will throw in more than one case.

Perhaps we are just in an expensive area, but thrift shops are not as
great a bargain as they used to be. :-(

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/10/2012 5:00 PM, gloria p wrote:

> Reading the last few posts made me wonder--is there an opportunity for
> income for someone to sell both canning supplies and preserving books
> at local farmer's markets? (I'm not about to do it, but I'm intrigued at
> the thought of that kind of one-stop-shopping.)
>
> gloria p

That's a great question. I think a small display next to your usual
wares might be successful.

Bear in mind that laws vary from state to state. Here in TX, you can
sell at farmer's markets:

Home grown produce
Home canned goods
Dressed poultry and rabbits (provided that they were raised and
processed at your premises.)

Other states laws will vary. I think no state would have a problem with
the sale of non-edible wares.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:00:41 -0700, gloria p >
wrote:

>Reading the last few posts made me wonder--is there an opportunity for
>income for someone to sell both canning supplies and preserving books
>at local farmer's markets? (I'm not about to do it, but I'm intrigued
>at the thought of that kind of one-stop-shopping.)
>
>gloria p

I'm not sure that it would be worthwhile unless you found a great deal
on the jars. I'm thinking that anyone buying in large enough
quantities already has the equipment and the others wouldn't have the
vaguest idea what to do with them. The jars would take up a lot of
room for the vendors to store at home and space in the trucks. Around
here you can get the jars & books at most of the grocery and hardware
stores in season. Walmart, Big Lots and Lowe's hardware also have
them in season. My local grocery store carries all the supplies
except books year around so if I run out of something when I want to
can out of season, I am not stuck.

I haven't read the regulations for this county but the markets here do
not seem to have anything that was not grown or made by the vendor in
the area. The larger markets that I have been to in Chapel Hill and
Greensboro, NC did not appear to have anything that was not grown or
made in the area by the vendor.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:

> Reading the last few posts made me wonder--is there an opportunity for
> income for someone to sell both canning supplies and preserving books
> at local farmer's markets? (I'm not about to do it, but I'm intrigued
> at the thought of that kind of one-stop-shopping.)

I've seen folks doing that at farmers markets in California so it is an
established practice. As Shawn Martin posted check the local laws. In
some states a farmers market may have special restrictions while in
other states they will basically be unrestricted flea markets under a
different label.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/10/2012 7:51 PM, gloria p wrote:

>> We hit four or five local farmer's markets around here and I've never
>> seen anyone selling such. Most people here just go to Walmart and buy

>> Personally I haunt the thrift stores, going at least twice a month. I
>> have bought so many jars, etc. at most of them they keep a list of what
>> I'm looking for handy, one outfit even calls me if they get something on
>> the list.

> Jars in grocery stores or places like Big Lots have averaged ~$6-7 a
> case. Thrift stores here usually charge $.50 apiece. Yard sales can
> provide incredible deals, like $1 a case from people who are getting rid
> of "grandma's junk" and they often will throw in more than one case.
>
> Perhaps we are just in an expensive area, but thrift shops are not as
> great a bargain as they used to be. :-(
>
> gloria p

I've a twenty-year relationship at the one I go to most, have done
volunteer work there a time or two also. They still don't charge an arm
and a leg for things that are given to them to sell.

We've been cleaning out the house in preparation for remodeling and
moving back to Texas. My weight has been up and down, sometimes as much
as 100 lbs down. Therefore I had at least three different sizes of
clothing, some of which may have been worn once or twice. Believe it or
not there are a lot of short, stocky men in this area. Folks at the
thrift store tell me that whatever clothing I bring in sells quickly.
Shoot, I went in there a week ago and there was a cotton coverall that
just fit me nicely, paid $5.00 for it and use it when I'm painting
around here or crawling around in the attic.

My best deals have been at church sales, once bought over 200 jars for 5
cents each, they just wanted to get rid of them. First time I ever
filled the pickup bed with jars, still have a lot of them. I seldom go
to garage sales anymore, most folks around here think their throw-aways
are worth a fortune. We decided not to have garage sales and just give
stuff to the thrift store and take a write-off for the value against our
taxes. Works for us.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, gloria p >
wrote:

> Reading the last few posts made me wonder--is there an opportunity for
> income for someone to sell both canning supplies and preserving books
> at local farmer's markets? (I'm not about to do it, but I'm intrigued
> at the thought of that kind of one-stop-shopping.)
>
> gloria p

I'm guessing it would depend on the rules of any given market. St.
Paul's farmers markets require the produce be produced within a 50-mile
(I think) radius of the main market. Interesting idea, though.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
gloria p > wrote:

> Perhaps we are just in an expensive area, but thrift shops are not as
> great a bargain as they used to be. :-(
>
> gloria p

True here, too. I can actually buy a case of new jars (with rings and
lids) for less than 12 jars (often without a ring, never with a lid I'd
use), one at a time, from the two secondhand stores near me.