Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Labels for Ball Jars

Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
label would be nice. Something you could put
in an ink jet printer would be even better.

I'm curious to what others have found best.

Thanks,

Jim

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 12/22/2011 6:28 AM, Jim wrote:
> Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
> their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
> marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
> label would be nice. Something you could put
> in an ink jet printer would be even better.
>
> I'm curious to what others have found best.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Look around on line for some round labels that will fit on jar lids. I
think they are 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Barb Schaller uses them all the
time.

I mostly use a Sharpie on the lid with product and date of manufacture
but have used shipping labels with fair results. The only problem with
labels on jars is that they are often a real problem to get off to reuse
the jar. Good luck.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:52:38 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 12/22/2011 6:28 AM, Jim wrote:
>> Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
>> their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
>> marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
>> label would be nice. Something you could put
>> in an ink jet printer would be even better.
>>
>> I'm curious to what others have found best.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim
>>

>Look around on line for some round labels that will fit on jar lids. I
>think they are 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Barb Schaller uses them all the
>time.
>
>I mostly use a Sharpie on the lid with product and date of manufacture
>but have used shipping labels with fair results. The only problem with
>labels on jars is that they are often a real problem to get off to reuse
>the jar. Good luck.

I use the round labels on the lids of my jars. Since most of my jars
come back to me, I know what a pain it is to remove the labels. I use
the Avery label # 5294.

Found my source.
http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewProduct.asp?SKU=AVE5294

I have ordered from them before (not the labels) and got very good
service.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Jim > wrote:

> Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
> their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
> marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
> label would be nice. Something you could put
> in an ink jet printer would be even better.
>
> I'm curious to what others have found best.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

I use Avery 5294 - 2-1/2" diameter rounds labels. I use Discus software
to make them.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
and I put them on the jar itself. I use Word and Avery template # 5160.

To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
and the labels peel right off with no residue. If they have been run
through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
> their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
> marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
> label would be nice. Something you could put
> in an ink jet printer would be even better.
>
> I'm curious to what others have found best.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Lyn Murray
> wrote:

> I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
> and I put them on the jar itself. I use Word and Avery template # 5160.
>
> To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
> and the labels peel right off with no residue. If they have been run
> through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
> what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.

Lee Valley sells water soluble labels. Wash the jar and the label
dissolves.

<http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52558&cat=2,2120,33279>

--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com>
Posted to rec.food.preserving
NT NT is offline

On Feb 5, 4:36*am, Dave Balderstone >
wrote:
> In article >, Lyn Murray
>
> > wrote:
> > I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
> > and I put them on the jar itself. *I use Word and Avery template # 5160.

> > To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
> > and the labels peel right off with no residue. *If they have been run
> > through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
> > what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.

> Lee Valley sells water soluble labels. Wash the jar and the label
> dissolves.
>
> <http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52558&cat=2,2120,33279>

Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
remove.

NT
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/8/2012 1:25 AM, NT wrote:
> On Feb 5, 4:36 am, Dave >
> wrote:
>> In >, Lyn Murray
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
>>> and I put them on the jar itself. I use Word and Avery template # 5160.

>>> To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
>>> and the labels peel right off with no residue. If they have been run
>>> through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
>>> what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.

>> Lee Valley sells water soluble labels. Wash the jar and the label
>> dissolves.
>>
>> <http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52558&cat=2,2120,33279>

> Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
> and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
> remove.
>

> NT

I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
by looking, it's too old. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Shawn Martin > wrote:

> On 2/8/2012 1:25 AM, NT wrote:
> > Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
> > and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
> > remove.
> >

> > NT

> I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
> by looking, it's too old. ;-)

LOL!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/18/2012 8:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> Shawn > wrote:
>
>> On 2/8/2012 1:25 AM, NT wrote:
>>> Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
>>> and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
>>> remove.
>>>

>>> NT

>> I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
>> by looking, it's too old. ;-)

> LOL!

I take it you're home again. Welcome back to the mainland.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I write the date on the lid and stick a post-it note on the shelf in
front of the jars telling what's in them....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/20/2012 1:42 PM, Carol S wrote:
> I write the date on the lid and stick a post-it note on the shelf in
> front of the jars telling what's in them....Carol

I just do like Shawn does, use a Sharpie on the lid, if the contents are
ambiguous I just write what is in on the lid too. The only time I use
labels is stuff I'm giving to the Altar Society for their sale or I'm
taking to the Farmer's Market. Then I use round Avery labels with the
details on it. State law here says I can sell to the public at Farmer's
Market or church sales as long as I put all the ingredients on the label
in order of magnitude and my address or phone number.

Home canned jellies and jams are sold for about $8 a pint around here.
Same goes for home made cakes, pies, cookies, etc. as long as they're
properly labeled selling is not a problem depending on the venue.

Tomorrow we're putting up Dilly Carrots, got a good crop this year and
the great grands love those things. Of course we do too.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 2/18/2012 8:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In >,
> > Shawn > wrote:

> >> I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
> >> by looking, it's too old. ;-)

> > LOL!

> I take it you're home again. Welcome back to the mainland.
>
> George

I am home. Thanks. Waiting to get more pics before I publish.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Tomorrow we're putting up Dilly Carrots, got a good crop this year and
> the great grands love those things. Of course we do too.

glad the rains held for you George!

songbird

Ball jars gloria p Preserving 9 31-01-2014 11:20 AM
what else to do with pint Ball jars.... Kathi Jones Preserving 35 29-11-2011 11:04 AM
Labels for jars Melba's Jammin' Preserving 32 13-08-2011 04:31 AM
Ball Jars Bassboat Preserving 5 25-03-2007 02:03 AM
Review of Preserve Labels and Jars in the UK HelixStalwart Preserving 0 29-09-2005 06:00 PM