Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Green tomatoes

We had the first killing frost last night. I covered up the peppers
and tomatoes (etc) but even if they survived (I didn't check this
morning) I'm going to end the season soon with lots of green tomatoes.

I have a pickled green tomato recipe, but I don't eat many pickles.
Also the tomatillos were a total crop failure this year. (big healthy
plants, lots of "balloons" but only 2 out of the hundreds ever filled out)

So how would it work to substitute green tomatoes for all the ripe
tomatoes in a canned salsa recipe? The one I have in mind is the USDA
recipe that has a cup of vinegar in it, so I'm not really worried
about the safety, moreso the taste and texture. Anybody tried it?

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Bob...I don't know how green tomatoes will work in a salsa......I've
seen recipes for green tomatoe relish but never tried it.....however I
do make a Sandwich Spread that uses green tomatoes....red and green
peppers and onions if you're interested in the recipe....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Carol S
> wrote:

> Bob...I don't know how green tomatoes will work in a salsa......I've
> seen recipes for green tomatoe relish but never tried it.....however I
> do make a Sandwich Spread that uses green tomatoes....red and green
> peppers and onions if you're interested in the recipe....Carol

IIf Bob isn't interested, I am! I've got plenty of green tomatoes here,
too.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Green tomatoes....RECIPE

Grind all together and let drain...
12 green tomatoes
12 green peppers
12 red peppers
3 large onions

Make a paste of this and add to above in a large pot...
1 c.flour
1 pint prepared mustard
1 pint white vinegar

Then add..
1 Tbsp.salt
3 c.sugar
1 Tbsp.celery seed

Boil 10 mnutes....stirring to prevent scorching.....add 1 quart Miracle
Whip.....stir thoroughly....pour into hot jars.....boiling water bath 20
minutes.......makes 10 pints......tastes great on buttered bread or add
a spoon of CheezWhiz to put on crackers......I even put it on hot
dogs......Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Carol S
> wrote:

> Grind all together and let drain...
> 12 green tomatoes
> 12 green peppers
> 12 red peppers
> 3 large onions
>
> Make a paste of this and add to above in a large pot...
> 1 c.flour
> 1 pint prepared mustard
> 1 pint white vinegar
>
> Then add..
> 1 Tbsp.salt
> 3 c.sugar
> 1 Tbsp.celery seed
>
> Boil 10 mnutes....stirring to prevent scorching.....add 1 quart Miracle
> Whip.....stir thoroughly....pour into hot jars.....boiling water bath 20
> minutes.......makes 10 pints......tastes great on buttered bread or add
> a spoon of CheezWhiz to put on crackers......I even put it on hot
> dogs......Carol

You had me up till the Miracle Whip... Can't bear the stuff.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Dave...no reason you can't use your favorite mayo.....I'd stick with
regular though....not low fat.....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Dave Balderstone wrote:
> You had me up till the Miracle Whip... Can't bear the stuff.

it's only sweet and sour mayo? regular mayo
has too much salt for my taste.

you could probably leave it out completely
and still be good.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 15, 7:57*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> We had the first killing frost last night. *I covered up the peppers
> and tomatoes (etc) but even if they survived (I didn't check this
> morning) I'm going to end the season soon with lots of green tomatoes.
>
> I have a pickled green tomato recipe, but I don't eat many pickles.
> Also the tomatillos were a total crop failure this year. (big healthy
> plants, lots of "balloons" but only 2 out of the hundreds ever filled out)
>
> So how would it work to substitute green tomatoes for all the ripe
> tomatoes in a canned salsa recipe? *The one I have in mind is the USDA
> recipe that has a cup of vinegar in it, so I'm not really worried
> about the safety, moreso the taste and texture. *Anybody tried it?
>
> -Bob

I've been keeping an eye out for green tomato recipes since it appears
our two-week long summer is over here in Oregon. I came across this
one on Farmgirl Fare which sounds interesting. She says it's more
like a salsa than a relish since it doesn't use sugar.

Farmgirl Susan's No Sugar Green Tomato Relish
Makes about 3 pints

2 lb. green tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 lb. white or yellow onions, chopped
3/4 lb. sweet red peppers, cored and chopped
1/2 lb. tart cooking apples, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup 5% acidic organic raw apple cider vinegar (or less, see note
below - she says the cup is required for safe BWB canning but some
readers thinks it makes the relish to vinegary)
1 Tablespoon kosher or sea salt
4 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded if desired, and finely chopped
2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)

Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, apples, garlic, vinegar, and
salt in a large, nonreactive pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat
and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about
an hour.

Stir in the jalapenos, cilantro, and cumin and simmer for 5 more
minutes. Carefully purée the mixture using a stick immersion blender
or in a traditional counter top blender, in batches if necessary,
until still somewhat chunky. Do not overmix; you don't want it smooth.

This green tomato relish will keep in the refrigerator for several
weeks.

If canning, return the puréed relish to a boil, then ladle the hot
mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Process 15 minutes
in a boiling water canner. Store in a cool, dark place for up to a
year.

Beti
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Omitting the mayo completely would drastically change the taste and
consistency of this spread.....Carol

Green tomatoes elaich General Cooking 12 21-10-2008 07:06 PM
Green Tomatoes - What to do? ~patches~ General Cooking 24 01-10-2005 04:01 PM
Green Tomatoes Tank General Cooking 48 21-10-2004 08:53 AM
green tomatoes Dennis Marlin General Cooking 2 18-10-2004 08:29 PM
Green Tomatoes bassboat Preserving 2 31-08-2004 07:50 PM