Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Fig jam

Miz Anne put up three pints of fig jam yesterday, apt to be the last of
the figs this year. We were out picking the days crop and I pulled the
top of the main stem of the tree over toward me to reach the ones on the
top. The ~!@#$ tree fell over, the roots on the bottom had died off. Now
all that is left are the suckers that grew up since last years freeze
killed that side. Drat!

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Miz Anne put up three pints of fig jam yesterday, apt to be the last of
> the figs this year. We were out picking the days crop and I pulled the
> top of the main stem of the tree over toward me to reach the ones on the
> top. The ~!@#$ tree fell over, the roots on the bottom had died off. Now
> all that is left are the suckers that grew up since last years freeze
> killed that side. Drat!

wow! can you put what's left in a big
pot to take with you when you move?

i'm envious of anyone who can grow a
tropical tree like figs, dates or
pistachios.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/28/2011 5:21 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Miz Anne put up three pints of fig jam yesterday, apt to be the last of
>> the figs this year. We were out picking the days crop and I pulled the
>> top of the main stem of the tree over toward me to reach the ones on the
>> top. The ~!@#$ tree fell over, the roots on the bottom had died off. Now
>> all that is left are the suckers that grew up since last years freeze
>> killed that side. Drat!

> wow! can you put what's left in a big
> pot to take with you when you move?
>
> i'm envious of anyone who can grow a
> tropical tree like figs, dates or
> pistachios.
>

> songbird

We can grow dates and figs, pistachios actually aren't tropical. The
ones I bought in fifty kilo bags in Saudi were grown in the mountains of
Iran. Very tasty, I only gained about a hundred pounds eating them for
five years.

I don't think I will want another Brown Turkey fig, maybe one of the
newer, more prolific varieties developed by Texas A&M or LSU. Right now
the problem with a fig tree, even a small one, is that it needs about 35
gallons of water a week to make good figs, we're on water rationing and
aren't getting enough rain to meet the fig requirements. The one we have
now was a root scion from a neighbors, we got it from him about twenty
years ago and it has frozen back twice that I remember.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> Miz Anne put up three pints of fig jam yesterday, apt to be the last of
>>> the figs this year. We were out picking the days crop and I pulled the
>>> top of the main stem of the tree over toward me to reach the ones on the
>>> top. The ~!@#$ tree fell over, the roots on the bottom had died off. Now
>>> all that is left are the suckers that grew up since last years freeze
>>> killed that side. Drat!

>> wow! can you put what's left in a big
>> pot to take with you when you move?
>>
>> i'm envious of anyone who can grow a
>> tropical tree like figs, dates or
>> pistachios.
>>

> We can grow dates and figs, pistachios actually aren't tropical. The
> ones I bought in fifty kilo bags in Saudi were grown in the mountains of
> Iran. Very tasty, I only gained about a hundred pounds eating them for
> five years.

heh, i would too... and i didn't know
they weren't tropical -- i'll have to read up
on them.

> I don't think I will want another Brown Turkey fig, maybe one of the
> newer, more prolific varieties developed by Texas A&M or LSU. Right now
> the problem with a fig tree, even a small one, is that it needs about 35
> gallons of water a week to make good figs, we're on water rationing and
> aren't getting enough rain to meet the fig requirements. The one we have
> now was a root scion from a neighbors, we got it from him about twenty
> years ago and it has frozen back twice that I remember.

they got things pretty tight down there.
or is that restriction from the well supply?

songbird