Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Freezing elephant garlic

Harvested the crop of elephant garlic this morning. To much to eat all
at once and it doesn't store well in our climate. Went to the UGA
website and they said to chop and freeze.

Cut the stems and root ends off, peeled the paper from the bulb, then
cut them into one-inch pieces. Ran through the food processor, then put
the garlic directly into some small vacuum bags I had on hand. Vacuum
sealed them and into the freezer. Rough estimate is about one pound of
chopped elephant garlic. Website also said when needed just break off a
chunk the size you need then reseal the bag.

House smells very aromatic now, makes me hungry.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi George,

We are busy making that cactus jelly again, or at least we did some with
some tunas we had in the freezer, others won't be ready till fall like
Persimmons around Nov here.

Another thing you can do to preserve garlic is to roast it and put it in
olive oil in plastic containers in the frig, it keeps for months. I'm sure
you could probably freeze or can like that as well. I guess you would have
to pressure can with the olive oil and garlic? I don't know, never tried it
but I've done the roasted garlic and just put in a small tupperware, one
lasts like two months and much better than the jarred garlics in the grocery
store. I want to do a big fall garden this year with garlic, leeks, onions,
all of it, but working full time puts a damper on our garden ventures. Wish
I could retire........LOL

--
Rita Foust
Poetry, TX

George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> Harvested the crop of elephant garlic this morning. To much to eat all at
> once and it doesn't store well in our climate. Went to the UGA website and
> they said to chop and freeze.
>
> Cut the stems and root ends off, peeled the paper from the bulb, then cut
> them into one-inch pieces. Ran through the food processor, then put the
> garlic directly into some small vacuum bags I had on hand. Vacuum sealed
> them and into the freezer. Rough estimate is about one pound of chopped
> elephant garlic. Website also said when needed just break off a chunk the
> size you need then reseal the bag.
>
> House smells very aromatic now, makes me hungry.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/4/2011 1:58 AM, YouGrowGirl wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> We are busy making that cactus jelly again, or at least we did some with
> some tunas we had in the freezer, others won't be ready till fall like
> Persimmons around Nov here.
>
> Another thing you can do to preserve garlic is to roast it and put it in
> olive oil in plastic containers in the frig, it keeps for months.

Unfortunately preserving garlic in oil in the fridge can cause botulism
and is considered an unsafe method. Go here for more info:
http://tinyurl.com/4yqf6zb
I'm sure
> you could probably freeze or can like that as well. I guess you would have
> to pressure can with the olive oil and garlic? I don't know, never tried it
> but I've done the roasted garlic and just put in a small tupperware, one
> lasts like two months and much better than the jarred garlics in the grocery
> store. I want to do a big fall garden this year with garlic, leeks, onions,
> all of it, but working full time puts a damper on our garden ventures. Wish
> I could retire........LOL

I generally buy garlic at the store in jars, either minced or chopped,
it is stored in a small glass jar and is covered with a solution that
prevents anaerobic growth of the botulism spores. Other than that I have
successfully dehydrated garlic on occasion and it works pretty good in
cooked dishes.

My kids and grandkids aren't retired but they all have gardens. A recent
development due to the upsurge in food in stores due to high
transportation costs. I'm hoping they will stick with it.