Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Anyone making Rhubarb Jam?

Do you really cook down the rhubarb before mixing it with the pectin and
sugar? IMWTK.
I have fresh rhubarb (enough for a batch of jam, I'd expect, though I
haven't picked any due to my resident invalid‹I've been busy running and
fetching), fresh blues (not local, though) for some Bluebarb Jam, and
some frozen raspberries for Raspberry-Rhubarb Jam.

Talk to me.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/23/2011 11:03 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Do you really cook down the rhubarb before mixing it with the pectin and
> sugar? IMWTK.
> I have fresh rhubarb (enough for a batch of jam, I'd expect, though I
> haven't picked any due to my resident invalid‹I've been busy running and
> fetching), fresh blues (not local, though) for some Bluebarb Jam, and
> some frozen raspberries for Raspberry-Rhubarb Jam.
>
> Talk to me.

Okay, open up, who's sick? Do you need help? Did the tornadoes go
through north of you?

Curious minds and all that.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 5/23/2011 11:03 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Do you really cook down the rhubarb before mixing it with the pectin and
> > sugar? IMWTK.
> > I have fresh rhubarb (enough for a batch of jam, I'd expect, though I
> > haven't picked any due to my resident invalidÐI've been busy running and
> > fetching), fresh blues (not local, though) for some Bluebarb Jam, and
> > some frozen raspberries for Raspberry-Rhubarb Jam.
> >
> > Talk to me.

> Okay, open up, who's sick? Do you need help? Did the tornadoes go
> through north of you?
>
> Curious minds and all that.

I'm about 18 miles south of downtown Minneapolis. Tornadoes were on the
north side of town ‹ in the city limits. Nicht so gut. One died.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/23/2011 4:30 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In ews.com>,
> George > wrote:
>
>> On 5/23/2011 11:03 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Do you really cook down the rhubarb before mixing it with the pectin and
>>> sugar? IMWTK.
>>> I have fresh rhubarb (enough for a batch of jam, I'd expect, though I
>>> haven't picked any due to my resident invalidÐI've been busy running and
>>> fetching), fresh blues (not local, though) for some Bluebarb Jam, and
>>> some frozen raspberries for Raspberry-Rhubarb Jam.
>>>
>>> Talk to me.

>> Okay, open up, who's sick? Do you need help? Did the tornadoes go
>> through north of you?
>>
>> Curious minds and all that.

> I'm about 18 miles south of downtown Minneapolis. Tornadoes were on the
> north side of town ‹ in the city limits. Nicht so gut. One died.

I'm still trying to get in touch with a cousin, third cousin if I
remember properly, who lives in Joplin, MO. No luck so far but that
could just be downed phone lines. I will go online and see if they have
posted a list of casualties tomorrow. Sometimes they do, sometimes they
don't.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Do you really cook down the rhubarb before mixing it with the pectin and
> sugar? IMWTK.

K=?

> I have fresh rhubarb (enough for a batch of jam, I'd expect, though I
> haven't picked any due to my resident invalid‹I've been busy running and
> fetching), fresh blues (not local, though) for some Bluebarb Jam, and
> some frozen raspberries for Raspberry-Rhubarb Jam.
>
> Talk to me.

i know this isn't exactly what
you are asking about, but it's at
least on the topic of rhubarb.

i've never made jam with rhubarb
before in any form as i like the
rhubarb to have some texture. i
make rhubarb sauce instead (wash,
chop into 1 inch cubes, add just a
little water, bring it up to hot
temperature as quickly as possible
without burning and then add spices,
lemon juice, sugar, stir, put in
containers and process to set
seals).

cooking it down would get rid
of the lumps i like (they taste
to me like tart apples).

so perhaps it could be dehydrated
first before using and that might keep
the texture long enough to get it in
the jars after reaching temps needed
to gel in a jam? i suspect it would
be good to dunk it in sugar and lemon
juice first to preserve color and
prevent browning.

just guessing...

interested in what others have to
say too...

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Do you really cook down the rhubarb before mixing it with the pectin and
> > sugar? *IMWTK. *

Never made jam before, but I'm willing to try.

LOL hubby likes rhubarb sauce, but I've never learned to use spices
and lemon juice.
all I've ever done was cook it down till the water is mostly gone then
add sugar til it's nicely balanced.

He usually eats it on bread, like jam, but after a couple times he's
done for the year and I'm left with a bunch of sauce he won't eat.

a recipe would be nice, for jam or sauce that would be more appealing,
please.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Kitty > wrote:

> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > > Do you really cook down the rhubarb before mixing it with the pectin and
> > > sugar? *IMWTK. *

> Never made jam before, but I'm willing to try.
>
> LOL hubby likes rhubarb sauce, but I've never learned to use spices
> and lemon juice.
> all I've ever done was cook it down till the water is mostly gone then
> add sugar til it's nicely balanced.
>
> He usually eats it on bread, like jam, but after a couple times he's
> done for the year and I'm left with a bunch of sauce he won't eat.
>
> a recipe would be nice, for jam or sauce that would be more appealing,
> please.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...am_liquid.html

Go to the main site, http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/ and do a search. There
are several hits for canning sauce and making jam.

Rhubarb Jam

Recipe By: Sure Jell leaflet, 1982, posted to r.f.preserving by Barb
Schaller, 5-24-2011.

4-1/2 cups prepared rhubarb
6-1/2 cups (2# 14 oz.) sugar
1 box Sure Jell pectin

Thinly slice or chop 2-1/2 pounds of rhubarb. Add 1 cup water, cover
and simmer 2 minutes or until soft.

In a large kettle, combine rhubarb and pectin and bring to boil. Stir
in sugar all at once and boil hard for 1 minute.

Pour in prepared jars (7-8 half pint jars), filling to within 1/2" of
top. Cover with lid and band and process in a boiling water bath for 10
minutes.