Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickled cauliflower report

As many who read this group know I am not a fan of cauliflower. Today I
opened a jar of pickles, cauliflower, onion, and sweet chiles. Added
Pickle Crisp at the time the jars were filled. Very good taste, the
pickles were nice and crisp, and the pickles are attractive. I would
give this pickle an A+ rating.

In addition we decided to try eating some cauliflower leaves last night.
Took the tender leaves that were surrounding the head of cauliflower we
harvested and steamed them just enough to soften the leaves. No strong
cauliflower taste but were close to the taste of Swiss chard. With a
touch of red wine vinegar on the greens I would have to say I would eat
them again. Something new added to the menu now.

George, who woke up to frost on the grass, rooftops, and vehicle
windows. Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
this cold air is coming from!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:03 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>As many who read this group know I am not a fan of cauliflower. Today I
>opened a jar of pickles, cauliflower, onion, and sweet chiles. Added
>Pickle Crisp at the time the jars were filled. Very good taste, the
>pickles were nice and crisp, and the pickles are attractive. I would
>give this pickle an A+ rating.
>
>In addition we decided to try eating some cauliflower leaves last night.
>Took the tender leaves that were surrounding the head of cauliflower we
>harvested and steamed them just enough to soften the leaves. No strong
>cauliflower taste but were close to the taste of Swiss chard. With a
>touch of red wine vinegar on the greens I would have to say I would eat
>them again. Something new added to the menu now.
>
>George, who woke up to frost on the grass, rooftops, and vehicle
>windows. Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
>this cold air is coming from!

Pickle Crisp works great, doesn't it! My all cauliflower pickles are
perfect using it.
Just be glad you only had frost on the grass, etc. George.
Two days ago we woke up to no water in the upstairs bathroom. When
this place was first built, back in 1872 they didn't worry about stuff
like that, just bundled up and went outside to the hand pump. But the
idiots that brought the plumbing inside ran the pipes to the upstairs
through an outside wall. Pipes were frozen. Thank goodness they didn't
split this time. When I checked my Davis Vantage weather station the
overnight low had been -26.4ºC (-15.5ºF).
A real heatwave this morning, only -2.9ºC.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:03 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>As many who read this group know I am not a fan of cauliflower. Today I
>opened a jar of pickles, cauliflower, onion, and sweet chiles. Added
>Pickle Crisp at the time the jars were filled. Very good taste, the
>pickles were nice and crisp, and the pickles are attractive. I would
>give this pickle an A+ rating.
>
>In addition we decided to try eating some cauliflower leaves last night.
>Took the tender leaves that were surrounding the head of cauliflower we
>harvested and steamed them just enough to soften the leaves. No strong
>cauliflower taste but were close to the taste of Swiss chard. With a
>touch of red wine vinegar on the greens I would have to say I would eat
>them again. Something new added to the menu now.
>
>George, who woke up to frost on the grass, rooftops, and vehicle
>windows. Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
>this cold air is coming from!

I am looking forward to making asparagus pickles with Pickle Crisp
this spring. The ones I have made recently have been rather soft.
Maybe make my sweet pickles with it too. Guess I should just skip the
soaking in lime and rinsing and go on from there.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/26/2011 8:52 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:03 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> As many who read this group know I am not a fan of cauliflower. Today I
>> opened a jar of pickles, cauliflower, onion, and sweet chiles. Added
>> Pickle Crisp at the time the jars were filled. Very good taste, the
>> pickles were nice and crisp, and the pickles are attractive. I would
>> give this pickle an A+ rating.
>>
>> In addition we decided to try eating some cauliflower leaves last night.
>> Took the tender leaves that were surrounding the head of cauliflower we
>> harvested and steamed them just enough to soften the leaves. No strong
>> cauliflower taste but were close to the taste of Swiss chard. With a
>> touch of red wine vinegar on the greens I would have to say I would eat
>> them again. Something new added to the menu now.
>>
>> George, who woke up to frost on the grass, rooftops, and vehicle
>> windows. Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
>> this cold air is coming from!

> Pickle Crisp works great, doesn't it! My all cauliflower pickles are
> perfect using it.
> Just be glad you only had frost on the grass, etc. George.
> Two days ago we woke up to no water in the upstairs bathroom. When
> this place was first built, back in 1872 they didn't worry about stuff
> like that, just bundled up and went outside to the hand pump. But the
> idiots that brought the plumbing inside ran the pipes to the upstairs
> through an outside wall. Pipes were frozen. Thank goodness they didn't
> split this time. When I checked my Davis Vantage weather station the
> overnight low had been -26.4ºC (-15.5ºF).
> A real heatwave this morning, only -2.9ºC.
>
> Ross.

I have been sold on Pickle Crisp for a few years now. No more liming,
multiple rinses, etc. just to get crisp pickles. Nothing worse than a
limp pickle. Okay, Barb, quit giggling!

I think I've seen your house on "Holmes on Homes." Obviously a lot of
old houses in Canada have had the same problem. Most of our plumbing is
in the slab here, none at all in the attic except the natural gas line.
Of course in slab plumbing can cause another problem if the slab cracks
and drops a few inches, which can often happen in "Houston gumbo" the
reigning clay along the Gulf Coast. Had that problem in a house in
Houston area years ago.

It was 39F when we got up this morning but we still had a light frost.
Hopefully spring will come early. The day has turned out beautiful
though, lots of blue sky and sunshine, probably freeze tonight with no
cloud cover to hold the heat in.

George, listening to Tilly Dawg snore under her blanket on the couch
behind me. If there's such a thing as reincarnation I'm coming back as a
lap dog, I don't even care if they take me to the vet to be "fixed."
That has got to be a great life, even if it is short.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/26/2011 9:20 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:03 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> As many who read this group know I am not a fan of cauliflower. Today I
>> opened a jar of pickles, cauliflower, onion, and sweet chiles. Added
>> Pickle Crisp at the time the jars were filled. Very good taste, the
>> pickles were nice and crisp, and the pickles are attractive. I would
>> give this pickle an A+ rating.
>>
>> In addition we decided to try eating some cauliflower leaves last night.
>> Took the tender leaves that were surrounding the head of cauliflower we
>> harvested and steamed them just enough to soften the leaves. No strong
>> cauliflower taste but were close to the taste of Swiss chard. With a
>> touch of red wine vinegar on the greens I would have to say I would eat
>> them again. Something new added to the menu now.
>>
>> George, who woke up to frost on the grass, rooftops, and vehicle
>> windows. Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
>> this cold air is coming from!

> I am looking forward to making asparagus pickles with Pickle Crisp
> this spring. The ones I have made recently have been rather soft.
> Maybe make my sweet pickles with it too. Guess I should just skip the
> soaking in lime and rinsing and go on from there.

That's what got me started on Pickle Crisp Susan, my sweet pickles, the
liming process is just to long and involved. The last two years I have
made them with Pickle Crisp and they are just as crisp as the limed ones
without all the trouble. Go for it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 1/26/2011 9:20 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:03 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> As many who read this group know I am not a fan of cauliflower. Today I
>>> opened a jar of pickles, cauliflower, onion, and sweet chiles. Added
>>> Pickle Crisp at the time the jars were filled. Very good taste, the
>>> pickles were nice and crisp, and the pickles are attractive. I would
>>> give this pickle an A+ rating.
>>>
>>> In addition we decided to try eating some cauliflower leaves last night.
>>> Took the tender leaves that were surrounding the head of cauliflower we
>>> harvested and steamed them just enough to soften the leaves. No strong
>>> cauliflower taste but were close to the taste of Swiss chard. With a
>>> touch of red wine vinegar on the greens I would have to say I would eat
>>> them again. Something new added to the menu now.
>>>
>>> George, who woke up to frost on the grass, rooftops, and vehicle
>>> windows. Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
>>> this cold air is coming from!

>> I am looking forward to making asparagus pickles with Pickle Crisp
>> this spring. The ones I have made recently have been rather soft.
>> Maybe make my sweet pickles with it too. Guess I should just skip the
>> soaking in lime and rinsing and go on from there.

> That's what got me started on Pickle Crisp Susan, my sweet pickles, the
> liming process is just to long and involved. The last two years I have
> made them with Pickle Crisp and they are just as crisp as the limed ones
> without all the trouble. Go for it.

A search here in UK brings up... zilch

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/26/2011 12:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> On 1/26/2011 9:20 AM, The Cook wrote:
>>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:03 -0600, George Shirley

>>> I am looking forward to making asparagus pickles with Pickle Crisp
>>> this spring. The ones I have made recently have been rather soft.
>>> Maybe make my sweet pickles with it too. Guess I should just skip the
>>> soaking in lime and rinsing and go on from there.

>> That's what got me started on Pickle Crisp Susan, my sweet pickles,
>> the liming process is just to long and involved. The last two years I
>> have made them with Pickle Crisp and they are just as crisp as the
>> limed ones without all the trouble. Go for it.

> A search here in UK brings up... zilch

If there is a brew shop nearby, a brew shop in Scotland, the very idea,
ask for some calcium chloride, that's all Pickle Crisp is O.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 1/26/2011 12:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> That's what got me started on Pickle Crisp Susan, my sweet pickles,
>>> the liming process is just to long and involved. The last two years I
>>> have made them with Pickle Crisp and they are just as crisp as the
>>> limed ones without all the trouble. Go for it.

>> A search here in UK brings up... zilch
>>

> If there is a brew shop nearby, a brew shop in Scotland, the very idea,

lol

> ask for some calcium chloride, that's all Pickle Crisp is O.

Thanks, George, I will have a look around!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 1/26/2011 12:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> That's what got me started on Pickle Crisp Susan, my sweet pickles,
> >> the liming process is just to long and involved. The last two years I
> >> have made them with Pickle Crisp and they are just as crisp as the
> >> limed ones without all the trouble. Go for it.

> > A search here in UK brings up... zilch
> >

> If there is a brew shop nearby, a brew shop in Scotland, the very idea,
> ask for some calcium chloride, that's all Pickle Crisp is O.

But, how much to use?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:

>> > A search here in UK brings up... zilch
>> >

>> If there is a brew shop nearby, a brew shop in Scotland, the very idea,
>> ask for some calcium chloride, that's all Pickle Crisp is O.

> But, how much to use?

Nice one Barb That would have been my next question had I found some

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/26/2011 2:18 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> George > wrote:

>>> A search here in UK brings up... zilch
>>>

>> If there is a brew shop nearby, a brew shop in Scotland, the very idea,
>> ask for some calcium chloride, that's all Pickle Crisp is O.

> But, how much to use?

I'm still using up an old packet of Pickle Crisp and it is finely
ground, the new stuff is in pellets. Whatever she can find I can tell
her how much to use depending upon which state the calcium chloride is
in. There is a difference in how much to use of each kind.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/26/2011 2:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> George Shirley > wrote:

>>> Added
>>> would

>>> cauliflower >>>> we
>>> With a
>>> would >>>> eat

>>> wherever

>>> the

>>> If there is a brew shop nearby, a brew shop in Scotland, the very idea,
>>> ask for some calcium chloride, that's all Pickle Crisp is O.

>> But, how much to use?

> Nice one Barb That would have been my next question had I found some

See my last post, email me a picture of what you can find with a ruler
beside it or just a description of the state the calcium chloride is in
and I can probably get you really, really close to how much to use.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

<snip> Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
this cold air is coming from! <snip>

Brrr...I agree 100%!!!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 1/26/2011 2:18 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> George > wrote:

>>> If there is a brew shop nearby, a brew shop in Scotland, the very idea,
>>> ask for some calcium chloride, that's all Pickle Crisp is O.

>> But, how much to use?
>>

> I'm still using up an old packet of Pickle Crisp and it is finely ground,
> the new stuff is in pellets. Whatever she can find I can tell her how much
> to use depending upon which state the calcium chloride is in. There is a
> difference in how much to use of each kind.

<noted> Many thanks, George!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 1/26/2011 2:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> But, how much to use?

>> Nice one Barb That would have been my next question had I found some
>>

> See my last post, email me a picture of what you can find with a ruler
> beside it or just a description of the state the calcium chloride is in
> and I can probably get you really, really close to how much to use.

Excellent! Thank you!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 26, 10:20*am, The Cook > wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:21:03 -0600, George Shirley
>

> > wrote:
> >As many who read this group know I am not a fan of cauliflower. Today I
> >opened a jar of pickles, cauliflower, onion, and sweet chiles. Added
> >Pickle Crisp at the time the jars were filled. Very good taste, the
> >pickles were nice and crisp, and the pickles are attractive. I would
> >give this pickle an A+ rating.

> >In addition we decided to try eating some cauliflower leaves last night.
> >Took the tender leaves that were surrounding the head of cauliflower we
> >harvested and steamed them just enough to soften the leaves. No strong
> >cauliflower taste but were close to the taste of Swiss chard. With a
> >touch of red wine vinegar on the greens I would have to say I would eat
> >them again. Something new added to the menu now.

> >George, who woke up to frost on the grass, rooftops, and vehicle
> >windows. Would someone please close the gate between us and wherever
> >this cold air is coming from!

> I am looking forward to making asparagus pickles with Pickle Crisp
> this spring. *The ones I have made recently have been rather soft.
> Maybe make my sweet pickles with it too. *Guess I should just skip the
> soaking in lime and rinsing and go on from there.
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

I made them only once and they were really gross - mushy. I like your
idea Susan, and will try them again this spring

Kathi