Pickled fish longevity (Gravad Lax)

Old 23-01-2011, 05:35 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickled fish longevity (Gravad Lax)

Each Christmas (and occasionally at other times), I do a whole salmon
as Gravad Lax. Recipe is my own which I have developed over time and
with experimentation and I won't claim a scandanavian would recognise
it as Gravad Lax, but it's very much liked by my family. One thing I
do which is unusual (unique as far as I know) is that I very accurately
measure the sugar and salt to match the fish weight, so that when the
fish is ready, it's in osmotic equilibrium and can be left in the
pickling mix without continuing to turn into something resembling a
piece of tough leather.

Anyway, this Christmas I wasn't too well, and although I prepared the
Gravad Lax, it wasn't eaten because I thought afterwards there was a
chance I might have been unknowingly infectious when preparing the fish,
and pickling doesn't kill viruses.

4 weeks later, I still have the fish in pickle. It's been refrigerated
all this time. I opened it, smelled it, and tasted a little, and it
seemed fine. Had some more the next day, and had no ill effects, and
it is very nice. So I conclude from this that it's kept fine for 4 weeks;
I've never previously kept it for more than a week after it was ready,
before it was all eaten.

So my question is - how long should pickled fish like this keep?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old 24-01-2011, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 23, 12:35*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
[...]

First Hi All, its been quite a while since I posted since I had to
find a new way to read this group because my server dropped News
groups. Its great to be back. Now back to the question.

I have no idea how this is pickled however I make a pickled fish that
is something like pickled herring and I make an ice cream bucket at a
time and then keep it in the refrigerator until gone, the current
bucket has been there for a couple of years (at least) and they are
still great.

Connie TC
Old 24-01-2011, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
[...]

Welcome back Connie, what sort of fish do you pickle?
Old 25-01-2011, 01:59 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

First Hi All, its been quite a while since I posted since I had to
find a new way to read this group because my server dropped News
groups. * Its great to be back. Now back to the question.

I have no idea how this is pickled however I make a pickled fish that
is something like pickled herring and I make an ice cream bucket at a
time and then keep it in the refrigerator until gone, the current
bucket has been there for a couple of years (at least) and they are
still great.

Connie TC

Welcome back Connie, what sort of fish do you pickle?

I pickle fresh water fish. I have pickled bluegill, northern, bass
actually any nice white type fish, probably wouldn't do bullhead since
they are a fattier fish. The northern and some bass I sometimes slice
thru the long way so they are not so thick, and any bones still int he
northern dissolve in the vinegar, a great way to use them.
Connie TC

Old 25-01-2011, 02:02 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Connie TC" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Connie! I have never done this and if you have the time, please will you
share a recipe?
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 26-01-2011, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 25, 9:02*am, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Connie TC" wrote in message

[...]

Pickled Fish
Fillet out your fish and cut into bite size pieces (make sure you
skinned your fillets as the skin left on gets tough) Fill a quart jar
loosely with fish pieces, add 5/8 cup of salt to 1 qt of fish. Cover
with shite vinegar. Let stand in refrigerator for 5 days shake or
stir each day to mix in the salt.

"after 5 days"
Drain and rinse with cold water for 10 min. Place in jar alternating
layers fo fish and raw onion rings. Cover with cooled vinegar
mixture. Keep in refrigerator. Ready to eat in 36 hrs. The longer
they set the better they get.

Vinegar mixtu
bring to boil 1 qt white vinegar
3 cups sugar
1/8-1/4 cup pickling spice (old recipe said 1/2 box)
Cool before pouring over fish and onions.

Note: I make these by the ice cream bucket full, I adjust the salt to
the amount of fish/container size I use. I have kept these in the
refrigerator for years. As long as you get and keep them cold they
last fine. I just finished my last ones from my last batch, they were
as firm and good as in the beginning and I can't remember when I made
them. These are sweeter than most pickled herring but also are not as
fishy, probably due to the fact you have removed the skin. I use
whatever fresh water fish (I live in midcontinet so don't have
anyother kind of fish available but would suppose any white fleshed
fish would work) we have caught but would Not use bullheads or
similar fish since they are a softer/fattier fish. If using northern
pike or other large fillet fish you can cut th meat lengthwise so its
not so thick, this makes it easier to eat. Also don't worry about the
bones in the northerns they will dissolve in the vinegar.

Connie TC
Old 27-01-2011, 08:57 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Lowell TenClay" wrote in message

Pickled Fish
Fillet out your fish and cut into bite size pieces (make sure you
skinned your fillets as the skin left on gets tough) Fill a quart jar
loosely with fish pieces, add 5/8 cup of salt to 1 qt of fish. Cover
with shite vinegar.

'Shite' vinegar? It this a special vinegar or ......

[...]

Many thanks for that, Connie! Heh, between you and George I can see myself
picking like a mad thing g

I have only ever pickled onions and (look away now Barb) beetroots. I am
enthused to start something new)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 28-01-2011, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 27, 2:57*am, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lowell TenClay" wrote in message

Pickled Fish
Fillet out your fish and cut into bite size pieces (make sure you
skinned your fillets as the skin left on gets tough) *Fill a quart jar
loosely *with fish pieces, add 5/8 cup of salt to 1 qt of fish. *Cover
with shite vinegar.

'Shite' vinegar? *It this a special vinegar or ......

That should be white vinegar, my finger must have slipped.
Connie TC

Old 28-01-2011, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Lowell TenClay" wrote in message
On Jan 27, 2:57 am, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Lowell TenClay" wrote in message

Pickled Fish
Fillet out your fish and cut into bite size pieces (make sure you
skinned your fillets as the skin left on gets tough) Fill a quart jar
loosely with fish pieces, add 5/8 cup of salt to 1 qt of fish. Cover
with shite vinegar.

'Shite' vinegar? It this a special vinegar or ......

That should be white vinegar, my finger must have slipped.
Connie TC

Ahhh ok, thanks. I can get that!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/