Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Plethora of gifted pears - recipes for crockpot pear butter?

My husband and I received a very large crate of (Bosc) pears from a
friend (we live near Medford, the pear capital of the world!). I've
looked at crockpot pear butter recipes on the Internet, but thought
that I'd ask the experts (you guys) for your favorite crockpot pear
butter recipe.

I also have a large box of Comice pears that I need to turn into
something yummy. I will be making Gale Gand's walnut pear cake this
afternoon.

I do have a Cook N Home 9-1/2-Quart Stainless-Steel Juicer Steamer
that I can use if needed.

If I have more pears that I can deal with I do plan on bringing a
bunch of them to our local senior center. There are only two of us
living in our house (both 61-years old) and can't eat a whole lot (and
I still need to make another batch of tomato sauce and another batch
of green tomato relish).

TIA.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/5/2010 10:18 AM, Linda wrote:
> My husband and I received a very large crate of (Bosc) pears from a
> friend (we live near Medford, the pear capital of the world!). I've
> looked at crockpot pear butter recipes on the Internet, but thought
> that I'd ask the experts (you guys) for your favorite crockpot pear
> butter recipe.

I've never made crock pot pear butter so can't help you there.

> I also have a large box of Comice pears that I need to turn into
> something yummy. I will be making Gale Gand's walnut pear cake this
> afternoon.
>
> I do have a Cook N Home 9-1/2-Quart Stainless-Steel Juicer Steamer
> that I can use if needed.

You can juice the pears out and then make pear jelly. Depending upon the
ripeness of the pears the color can range from a pale yellow to a rosy
yellow. There are recipes in most preserving books.

> If I have more pears that I can deal with I do plan on bringing a
> bunch of them to our local senior center. There are only two of us
> living in our house (both 61-years old) and can't eat a whole lot (and
> I still need to make another batch of tomato sauce and another batch
> of green tomato relish).
>
> TIA.

If you have a food strainer of some sort you can always make pear sauce.
I make some each year and flavor it either cinnamon or another spice,
whichever you favor. Then the pulp can be made into pear sauce, giving
you two delicious pear products to eat and/or share. There's nothing
wrong with pear slices preserved in a light syrup either. Last year I
put them up in a Splenda syrup which helps with my carb allowance. Good
luck.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

> If you have a food strainer of some sort you can always make pear sauce. I
> make some each year and flavor it either cinnamon or another spice,
> whichever you favor. Then the pulp can be made into pear sauce, giving you
> two delicious pear products to eat and/or share. There's nothing wrong
> with pear slices preserved in a light syrup either. Last year I put them
> up in a Splenda syrup which helps with my carb allowance. Good luck.

George, please will you describe the 'Splenda' syrup? We follow low carb
too!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/5/2010 12:13 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>
>> If you have a food strainer of some sort you can always make pear
>> sauce. I make some each year and flavor it either cinnamon or another
>> spice, whichever you favor. Then the pulp can be made into pear sauce,
>> giving you two delicious pear products to eat and/or share. There's
>> nothing wrong with pear slices preserved in a light syrup either. Last
>> year I put them up in a Splenda syrup which helps with my carb
>> allowance. Good luck.

> George, please will you describe the 'Splenda' syrup? We follow low carb
> too!

Here's an explanation from the U of GA site:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/papers/2006/06ift-peaches.html

If you go to their site you will find recipes for canning and preserving
food with Splenda.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 10/5/2010 12:13 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>
>>> If you have a food strainer of some sort you can always make pear
>>> sauce. I make some each year and flavor it either cinnamon or another
>>> spice, whichever you favor. Then the pulp can be made into pear sauce,
>>> giving you two delicious pear products to eat and/or share. There's
>>> nothing wrong with pear slices preserved in a light syrup either. Last
>>> year I put them up in a Splenda syrup which helps with my carb
>>> allowance. Good luck.

>> George, please will you describe the 'Splenda' syrup? We follow low carb
>> too!
>>

> Here's an explanation from the U of GA site:
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/papers/2006/06ift-peaches.html
>
> If you go to their site you will find recipes for canning and preserving
> food with Splenda.

Thanks very much, George! Just what I needed

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Linda wrote:

> My husband and I received a very large crate of (Bosc) pears from a
> friend (we live near Medford, the pear capital of the world!). I've
> looked at crockpot pear butter recipes on the Internet, but thought
> that I'd ask the experts (you guys) for your favorite crockpot pear
> butter recipe.

We recently made pear, plum and apple butter in the crockpot. The
general recipe is simple and similar for them all.

Remove the pit and fill the crockpot with skin-on fruit. Cook on high
until it starts bubbling then turn the lid diagonal so evaporation can
happen. Run on high while you're home, on low while you're not.

About a half day later scoop out the fruit and press through a sieve.
We have a conical one specifically for the purpose, must be an antique.
Back into the crockpot for further evaporation. Optionally add spices
now.

About a full day in there's fruit sauce in the crockpot, can half in
jars. About a day and a halk in there's fruit butter in the crockpot,
can that in jars.

For pears there's no need to add sweetener. For apples I think there's
no need either. The plums came out tart enough it needed some splenda
added before canning.

With the apple skins I currently have a batch of mead-like-stuff
fermenting. Two big jars of sorghum, one small jar of honey, a ball of
sieve mashed apple skins about the size of a softball to make a two
gallon batch. It should come out very roughly 10% alcohol, stronger
than I usually brew my mead.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, both here and by email.
Right now I'm canning Vanilla Pear Jelly and have another pear cake in
the oven (this one will be cut into smaller pieces and frozen). I
also have several jars of orange pear marmalade waiting for labels.

I think that pear sauce is next. I still have a LOT of pears left!

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:18:46 -0700, Linda >
wrote:

>My husband and I received a very large crate of (Bosc) pears from a
>friend (we live near Medford, the pear capital of the world!). I've
>looked at crockpot pear butter recipes on the Internet, but thought
>that I'd ask the experts (you guys) for your favorite crockpot pear
>butter recipe.
>
>I also have a large box of Comice pears that I need to turn into
>something yummy. I will be making Gale Gand's walnut pear cake this
>afternoon.
>
>I do have a Cook N Home 9-1/2-Quart Stainless-Steel Juicer Steamer
>that I can use if needed.
>
>If I have more pears that I can deal with I do plan on bringing a
>bunch of them to our local senior center. There are only two of us
>living in our house (both 61-years old) and can't eat a whole lot (and
>I still need to make another batch of tomato sauce and another batch
>of green tomato relish).
>
>TIA.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

vanilla pear jelly sounds divine!!!