Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default tomato canning problem/question

Canned some tomatoes last night....when checked this morning, there is no
head space, and looks like air pockets inside quart jars. I used BWB method
for first time.....did I put lids on to tight?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 22, 1:24*pm, wrote:
> Canned some tomatoes last night....when checked this morning, there is no
> head space, and looks like air pockets inside quart jars. I used BWB method
> for first time.....did I put lids on to tight?

it sounds like what happens when pressure cooking and the pressure
goes up and down. I think they're safe, but may brown due to the air
mixed with the food. you can smack them gently against your hand to
knock the food down and push the air up through the food, which will
help some.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

yes i removed air space with spatula...and i did notice that hitting the
side of jars with my hand does bring air pocket to top....but i believe i
must have put lids on to tight.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
> wrote:

> yes i removed air space with spatula...and i did notice that hitting the
> side of jars with my hand does bring air pocket to top....but i believe i
> must have put lids on to tight.

You can always remove the lids, replace them with new ones, thighten
finger tight and re-process.

If you're at all concerned about safety, it will give you peace of mind.

Canning problem with fruits Casey[_4_] Preserving 7 08-04-2010 02:52 AM
Speaking of garlic, canning problem. Geoffrey S. Mendelson Preserving 5 19-05-2007 10:04 PM
Canning problem Dwayne Preserving 8 22-10-2005 09:06 AM
Canning problem solved (maybe) Dwayne Preserving 3 25-02-2005 01:49 PM
Canning problem, any advice? Dwayne Preserving 2 21-02-2005 04:21 AM