FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   peeling peaches (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/399780-peeling-peaches.html)

Sandra Hendre 18-08-2010 07:19 PM

peeling peaches

Hi!
I am just wondering why do all the books recommend the boiling water/
ice water method for peeling peaches? Is it just for speed?
I peeled afew for canning today with a potato peeler and canned them.
Hope they will turn out OK.
Any opinions would be welcome.
Sandra

George Shirley[_2_] 18-08-2010 07:59 PM

peeling peaches

On 8/18/2010 1:19 PM, Sandra Hendre wrote:
> Hi!
> I am just wondering why do all the books recommend the boiling water/
> ice water method for peeling peaches? Is it just for speed?
> I peeled afew for canning today with a potato peeler and canned them.
> Hope they will turn out OK.
> Any opinions would be welcome.
> Sandra

It's not only speed Sandra, it's ease of peeling. Dip the raw peaches in
boiling water for a minute then into ice water, makes the skins slip
right off. Generally it works like a charm, sometimes it doesn't.

ST 19-08-2010 04:47 AM

peeling peaches

>I am just wondering why do all the books recommend the boiling water/
>ice water method for peeling peaches? Is it just for speed?

Yes.
But , you'll also get more usable product from that method: almost no waste,
and pretty much no wasted usable product.
-
If you don't get the fuzz off the peach, the peach products will taste fuzzy.
You don't want that.
And about ice cream.
The peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was probably made with dry peaches
that were just cut in half to take the pit out.
And on those, watch out for little 1/32 inch leg fragments.
SDT

Ophelia[_7_] 19-08-2010 04:15 PM

peeling peaches

"ST" > wrote in message

>>I am just wondering why do all the books recommend the boiling water/
>>ice water method for peeling peaches? Is it just for speed?

> Yes.
> But , you'll also get more usable product from that method: almost no
> waste,
> and pretty much no wasted usable product.
> -
> If you don't get the fuzz off the peach, the peach products will taste
> fuzzy.
> You don't want that.
> And about ice cream.
> The peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was probably made with dry peaches
> that were just cut in half to take the pit out.
> And on those, watch out for little 1/32 inch leg fragments.

You have legs in your peaches?????
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

George Shirley[_2_] 20-08-2010 02:53 PM

peeling peaches

On 8/19/2010 10:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "ST" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I am just wondering why do all the books recommend the boiling water/
>>> ice water method for peeling peaches? Is it just for speed?

>> Yes.
>> But , you'll also get more usable product from that method: almost no
>> waste,
>> and pretty much no wasted usable product.
>> -
>> If you don't get the fuzz off the peach, the peach products will taste
>> fuzzy.
>> You don't want that.
>> And about ice cream.
>> The peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was probably made with dry peaches
>> that were just cut in half to take the pit out.
>> And on those, watch out for little 1/32 inch leg fragments.

> You have legs in your peaches?????

What! British peaches haven't evolved to the walking stage yet?

Ophelia[_7_] 20-08-2010 03:10 PM

peeling peaches

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> Yes.
>>> But , you'll also get more usable product from that method: almost no
>>> waste,
>>> and pretty much no wasted usable product.
>>> -
>>> If you don't get the fuzz off the peach, the peach products will taste
>>> fuzzy.
>>> You don't want that.
>>> And about ice cream.
>>> The peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was probably made with dry peaches
>>> that were just cut in half to take the pit out.
>>> And on those, watch out for little 1/32 inch leg fragments.

>> You have legs in your peaches?????

> What! British peaches haven't evolved to the walking stage yet?

Dang.. I always forget how far behind we are... prolly cos we can't catch
up... wot with not having legs.... Umm wot about feets?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

ST 21-08-2010 03:46 AM

peeling peaches

>> The peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was probably made with dry peaches
>> that were just cut in half to take the pit out.
>> And on those, watch out for little 1/32 inch leg fragments.

>You have legs in your peaches?????

I hope not---
That was a stupid comment about what is allowed in foods and spices, which is
nothing that will harm you physically if everyone does as required by USA law,
and yet another thing for me to put on my nonexistant list of things I must not say.

1/32 of an inch is very small but much to big to go all asbestosis on you: Harmless.
-
IME, different ways of keeping things from going bad so you won't starve to death
during the winter/summer* result in different products (dried Killifish eggs** are
most certainly not salted sturgeon roe), and now it's a day later and I don't know
why I said this but it seems to kinda make sense.
-
Peaches have fuzz on for a reason which I assume is pests.
This could be the same reason that amber with bugs in exists, and something I've
noticed is pretty much everything that gets bit bites back, and some of my peaches
kind of ooze out some really sticky goo that I've never seen bugs stuck in.
-
IME, peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was made with skin on dried peach halves.
--sad face-- 'cuase tastes fuzzy.
SDT
Ohio, USA
*I try not to get cold during the winter here which is summer over there and vice
versa. So if I were in New Zealand. AC or furnace?
**Uh, Got any???

Ophelia[_7_] 21-08-2010 08:25 AM

peeling peaches

"ST" > wrote in message

>>> The peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was probably made with dry peaches
>>> that were just cut in half to take the pit out.
>>> And on those, watch out for little 1/32 inch leg fragments.

>>You have legs in your peaches?????

> I hope not---
> That was a stupid comment about what is allowed in foods and spices, which
> is
> nothing that will harm you physically if everyone does as required by USA
> law,
> and yet another thing for me to put on my nonexistant list of things I
> must not say.

I still don't understand to what you were referring. Was it the pit that
was split?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

George Shirley[_2_] 21-08-2010 05:10 PM

peeling peaches

On 8/20/2010 9:46 PM, ST wrote:

>>> The peach ice cream that tastes fuzzy was probably made with dry peaches
>>> that were just cut in half to take the pit out.
>>> And on those, watch out for little 1/32 inch leg fragments.

>> You have legs in your peaches?????

> I hope not---
> That was a stupid comment about what is allowed in foods and spices, which is
> nothing that will harm you physically if everyone does as required by USA law,
> and yet another thing for me to put on my nonexistant list of things I must not say.
>
> 1/32 of an inch is very small but much to big to go all asbestosis on you: Harmless.
> -
> IME, different ways of keeping things from going bad so you won't starve to death
> during the winter/summer* result in different products (dried Killifish eggs** are
> most certainly not salted sturgeon roe), and now it's a day later and I don't know
> why I said this but it seems to kinda make sense.
> -
> Peaches have fuzz on for a reason which I assume is pests.
> This could be the same reason that amber with bugs in exists, and something I've
> noticed is pretty much everything that gets bit bites back, and some of my peaches
> kind of ooze out some really sticky goo that I've never seen bugs stuck in.

The next peach tree I plant is going to be a nectarine, the nectarine is
just a fuzzless peach. You still have to skin them but they are so good
to eat out of hand.

ST 22-08-2010 02:45 AM

peeling peaches

>I still don't understand to what you were referring. Was it the pit that
>was split?

Me neither anymore.
What I was thinking, if such >
-I've had dried peaches. These are half peaches no pit. They taste a bit
a like peach, but mostly taste fuzzy. Seems like somebody cut around a
freestone peach, tossed the pit and dried the halves. (And did so often;)
-I've seen dead tiny bugs stuck to peaches and perhaps that was from
them getting those teensy little bug feet caught in the peach fuzz.
-If so brushing things off of the peach would leave little bug feet caught
in the peach fuzz.
-
The morals of this story are don't drink and post, Make very sure more
than three times that your software won't try to help you, don't eat peach
icecream that tastes: "Ick! Fuzzy?!" and that aphid feet are, like maybe?
all fiber and therefore _good_ for you.
-
-
I peel peaches because of peach fuzz.
How to peel 'em depends on how many you got. Each method has a per
peach time.
2 peaches? Heck with that. Eat em. Or knife, or fingernails.
20 peaches? Knife, fingernails, and if they aren't ripe a potato pealer.
200 peaches? That boiling water method.
Shawn T
Ohio, USA

Ophelia[_7_] 22-08-2010 10:34 AM

peeling peaches

"ST" > wrote in message

>>I still don't understand to what you were referring. Was it the pit that
>>was split?

> Me neither anymore.

lol oh dear:))

> What I was thinking, if such >
> -I've had dried peaches. These are half peaches no pit. They taste a bit
> a like peach, but mostly taste fuzzy. Seems like somebody cut around a
> freestone peach, tossed the pit and dried the halves. (And did so often;)
> -I've seen dead tiny bugs stuck to peaches and perhaps that was from
> them getting those teensy little bug feet caught in the peach fuzz.

Ahhhh NOW I understand!!!!

> -If so brushing things off of the peach would leave little bug feet caught
> in the peach fuzz.

Gotcha:))

> The morals of this story are don't drink and post,

Nodnodnod! I will try to remember that:)

Make very sure more
> than three times that your software won't try to help you, don't eat peach
> icecream that tastes: "Ick! Fuzzy?!" and that aphid feet are, like maybe?
> all fiber and therefore _good_ for you.

Bleagh! Added protein?

> I peel peaches because of peach fuzz.
> How to peel 'em depends on how many you got. Each method has a per
> peach time.
> 2 peaches? Heck with that. Eat em. Or knife, or fingernails.
> 20 peaches? Knife, fingernails, and if they aren't ripe a potato pealer.
> 200 peaches? That boiling water method.
> Shawn T

Thank you for the explantion:))

ps George... phtttttttttttt :)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

George Shirley[_2_] 22-08-2010 01:54 PM

peeling peaches

On 8/22/2010 4:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "ST" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I still don't understand to what you were referring. Was it the pit that
>>> was split?

>> Me neither anymore.

> lol oh dear:))
>
>> What I was thinking, if such >
>> -I've had dried peaches. These are half peaches no pit. They taste a bit
>> a like peach, but mostly taste fuzzy. Seems like somebody cut around a
>> freestone peach, tossed the pit and dried the halves. (And did so often;)
>> -I've seen dead tiny bugs stuck to peaches and perhaps that was from
>> them getting those teensy little bug feet caught in the peach fuzz.

> Ahhhh NOW I understand!!!!
>
>> -If so brushing things off of the peach would leave little bug feet
>> caught
>> in the peach fuzz.

> Gotcha:))
>
>> The morals of this story are don't drink and post,

> Nodnodnod! I will try to remember that:)
>

> Make very sure more
>> than three times that your software won't try to help you, don't eat
>> peach
>> icecream that tastes: "Ick! Fuzzy?!" and that aphid feet are, like maybe?
>> all fiber and therefore _good_ for you.

> Bleagh! Added protein?
>

>> I peel peaches because of peach fuzz.
>> How to peel 'em depends on how many you got. Each method has a per
>> peach time.
>> 2 peaches? Heck with that. Eat em. Or knife, or fingernails.
>> 20 peaches? Knife, fingernails, and if they aren't ripe a potato pealer.
>> 200 peaches? That boiling water method.
>> Shawn T

> Thank you for the explantion:))
>
> ps George... phtttttttttttt :)

It has been my experience that you can defuzz a peach by simply washing
it and drying it with a paper towel. After that you just eat skin and all.

Ophelia[_7_] 22-08-2010 02:04 PM

peeling peaches

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

> It has been my experience that you can defuzz a peach by simply washing it
> and drying it with a paper towel. After that you just eat skin and all.

That is what we do too. I can't say I have ever seen any dead bodies on
ours, but then I wouldn't buy any that had.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/