Dried Cucumber chips - my experiments paid off

Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Dried Cucumber chips - my experiments paid off

After inquiring in this group about what to do with an abundance of
cucumbers, and the possibility of drying them, and the link George
Shirley sent, I experimented and came up with what I think is a
winner, if you like spicy chips.

Peel the cucumbers. Using a Mandolin, cut them in about 1/8" or
thicker slices, individual prefrence applies here.

Arrange the slices in you favorite food drier touching each other, and
fill up the tray to minimize waste of the spices.

Sprinkle them with Garlic and Parsley salt, black pepper and freeze
dried minced garlic. If you really want them hot, put on some dried
red pepper flakes. Since the cucumber slices are very moist, the
spices will be rehydrated and stick like glue when dried.
(if you are timid, go easy on the spices or eliminate them
altogether.) I intend to try sprinkling some malt vinegar on the next
batch after first drying, then drying again, to see how that turns
out.

Dry at 135 degrees until they are crispy and crunchy like a potato
chip, serve them with beer or just soft drinks as a side snack, you
will be the life of the party.

Dry well and you can vacuum pack them for long term storage or store
them in the FOOD SAVER Vacuum jars on your table to snack with meals.

Sliced tomatoes treated the same way will make you never go back to
plain old "sun-dried tomatoes" again. Crumble them on sandwiches,
salads or just eat them whole like chips.

Jim

Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Jim" wrote in message
After inquiring in this group about what to do with an abundance of
cucumbers, and the possibility of drying them, and the link George
Shirley sent, I experimented and came up with what I think is a
winner, if you like spicy chips.

Hi Jim I misunderstood your original question. I thought you were asking
what to do with already dried veggies

If it is any help, it makes great jerky!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 05-07-2010, 01:54 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

That sounds interesting, cucumber jerky. Care to share your
proceedure with us? As it so happens, I will be making beef jerky
today.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:09:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .

Old 05-07-2010, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Dry well and you can vacuum pack them for long term storage or store
them in the FOOD SAVER Vacuum jars on your table to snack with meals.

Jim

Do you burp after eating them?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
Jim wrote:

Dry well and you can vacuum pack them for long term storage or store
them in the FOOD SAVER Vacuum jars on your table to snack with meals.

Jim

Do you burp after eating them?

pardon me!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Jim wrote:

Dry well and you can vacuum pack them for long term storage or store
them in the FOOD SAVER Vacuum jars on your table to snack with meals.

Jim

Do you burp after eating them?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
while everyone else wondered.

that's an interesting question! My grandmother always told me she couldn't
eat cukes because they made her burp and gave her indigestion. Wonder what
a dried cukle would do?

Kathi

Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/6/2010 2:49 PM, Kathi Jones wrote:
"Melba's wrote in message
In ,
wrote:

Dry well and you can vacuum pack them for long term storage or store
them in the FOOD SAVER Vacuum jars on your table to snack with meals.

Jim

Do you burp after eating them?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
while everyone else wondered.

that's an interesting question! My grandmother always told me she couldn't
eat cukes because they made her burp and gave her indigestion. Wonder what
a dried cukle would do?

Kathi

Give you the dry heaves?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" wrote in message
On 7/6/2010 2:49 PM, Kathi Jones wrote:
"Melba's wrote in message
In ,
wrote:

Dry well and you can vacuum pack them for long term storage or store
them in the FOOD SAVER Vacuum jars on your table to snack with meals.

Jim

Do you burp after eating them?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
while everyone else wondered.

that's an interesting question! My grandmother always told me she
couldn't
eat cukes because they made her burp and gave her indigestion. Wonder
what
a dried cukle would do?

Kathi

Give you the dry heaves?

ROTFLMAO....that's funny! I just read my typo for cukle and thought that
was funny - and then you spoke up George!!!