Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Canning jars

Was in the local Big Lots store yesterday and they had lids and jars on
a pallet. Bought a case of eight ounce (half-pint) canning jars with
lids and rings for $7.00. The price on lids was okay but nothing
spectacular, bought six boxes of a dozen for $1.25 a box, about half the
cost of lids in the local supermarkets so I'm happy. Can always use
another case of half pints when you're jelling and jamming.

Getting a very good rain right now, according to the radar it is coming
from the rain bands accompanying Hurricane Alex ashore. Wherever it's
from we appreciate it, this is the first rain of any consequence we've
had this summer. Rain gauge is at three-fourths of an inch at the moment
and it's still raining.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Was in the local Big Lots store yesterday and they had lids and jars on
> a pallet. Bought a case of eight ounce (half-pint) canning jars with
> lids and rings for $7.00.

Hmm, that's no bargain here, Jorge.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:40:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Was in the local Big Lots store yesterday and they had lids and jars on
>> a pallet. Bought a case of eight ounce (half-pint) canning jars with
>> lids and rings for $7.00.

>Hmm, that's no bargain here, Jorge.

Not here either. I priced half-pint ball jars at the local grocery
here in the sticks at $6.46 a box.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/3/2010 7:34 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:40:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> In article<ReWdneYSKu4yQbHRnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d@giganews. com>,
>> George > wrote:
>>
>>> Was in the local Big Lots store yesterday and they had lids and jars on
>>> a pallet. Bought a case of eight ounce (half-pint) canning jars with
>>> lids and rings for $7.00.

>> Hmm, that's no bargain here, Jorge.

> Not here either. I priced half-pint ball jars at the local grocery
> here in the sticks at $6.46 a box.

It is around here, even Walmart gets more for half-pint jars, they stock
Ball as does Kroger.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 7/3/2010 7:34 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:40:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>> Hmm, that's no bargain here, Jorge.

>> Not here either. I priced half-pint ball jars at the local grocery
>> here in the sticks at $6.46 a box.

> It is around here, even Walmart gets more for half-pint jars, they stock
> Ball as does Kroger.

I went the Big Lots route, too, George, since it looks as though we'll
have a good crop of apricots and I want to make "crispy cukes"
aka bread and butter pickles. Haven't found Pickle Crisp anywhere
and I've looked everywhere, but we do have a pretty complete brewing
shop a mile away, so I'll get the generic equivalent.

As far as $6 jars, that IS a bargain here. The thrift shops are
charging ~50 cents a jar, no lids or bands. It sounds as though the
price depends a lot on how much canning gets done in your area.
I missed the big weekend for neighborhood yard sales here (6/12)
because we had torrential rains and it wasn't worth the effort to nose
out some canning jars.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/3/2010 11:37 AM, gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> On 7/3/2010 7:34 AM, The Cook wrote:
>>> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:40:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

>>> Not here either. I priced half-pint ball jars at the local grocery
>>> here in the sticks at $6.46 a box.

>> It is around here, even Walmart gets more for half-pint jars, they
>> stock Ball as does Kroger.

> I went the Big Lots route, too, George, since it looks as though we'll
> have a good crop of apricots and I want to make "crispy cukes"
> aka bread and butter pickles. Haven't found Pickle Crisp anywhere
> and I've looked everywhere, but we do have a pretty complete brewing
> shop a mile away, so I'll get the generic equivalent.
>
> As far as $6 jars, that IS a bargain here. The thrift shops are charging
> ~50 cents a jar, no lids or bands. It sounds as though the
> price depends a lot on how much canning gets done in your area.
> I missed the big weekend for neighborhood yard sales here (6/12)
> because we had torrential rains and it wasn't worth the effort to nose
> out some canning jars.
>
> gloria p

The only other canners I know of in our town are our dentist, who has
stopped canning, and an old friend with a big garden. I asked the
dentist about his jars and he said one of his kids tossed them in the
trash. I nearly cried, I knew he had several cases of jars. The old
friend with garden and I had breakfast at Mickey Dee's this morning and
said they just put up several jars of purple hull peas yesterday.

I asked my loverly wife to let the ladies in the Altar Society know that
I was interested in buying fruit jars and would even buy the
Classico sauce jars with the Atlas Mason insignia and the fruit jar top.
No response as yet but I am hopeful.

I have several cases of quarts that I seldom use except for fruit and
large pickles, might try swapping them out with someone who can use
them. The search for lost treasure goes on.

I just know some unknowing young person out there is throwing grannie's
or momma's fruit jars away as I type this.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> I just know some unknowing young person out there is throwing grannie's
> or momma's fruit jars away as I type this.

Absolutely. Do you have a local "Freecycle" online access? I think
you can ask for things as well as list things to give away.

When we lived in RI I posted the following in a swap column in the
local paper:

"Wanted: Concord Grapes. Will trade jars of jam for same."

I had four calls from people wanting grapes, no one offering, and I know
there were grapes rotting on the vines in certain neighborhoods. We
planted our own vines the following year and usually had more than we
could use.

We also planted Concord vines when we moved to this house. Mistake. We
should have planted table grapes. The raccoons eat their fill because
we have no more grape jam eaters in the house.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/3/2010 3:01 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> I just know some unknowing young person out there is throwing
>> grannie's or momma's fruit jars away as I type this.

> Absolutely. Do you have a local "Freecycle" online access? I think you
> can ask for things as well as list things to give away.

Yup, we joined it for a week. Miz Anne had gotten about 50 pour molds
for ceramics when a neighbor donated a kiln for her classroom. We posted
them at 0900 one morning and by 0905 they were taken, picked up at 0930
same day. Young lady who was starting a ceramics business to eke out her
disability insurance money got them. She sends us a Christmas card every
year. Other than that I never saw anything I wanted on there.

> When we lived in RI I posted the following in a swap column in the local
> paper:
>
> "Wanted: Concord Grapes. Will trade jars of jam for same."
>
> I had four calls from people wanting grapes, no one offering, and I know
> there were grapes rotting on the vines in certain neighborhoods. We
> planted our own vines the following year and usually had more than we
> could use.
>
> We also planted Concord vines when we moved to this house. Mistake. We
> should have planted table grapes. The raccoons eat their fill because we
> have no more grape jam eaters in the house.
>
> gloria p

Picked a pickup truck load of wild grapes at our deer lease back in the
sixties. Just backed the truck up under one of the Bois d'Arc trees the
vines were growing on and Dad and I put plastic in the truck bed and
then pulled grape clusters until our hands hurt. Drove the 150 miles
home and then unloaded them. Miz Anne and the kids and I squashed them
and ran them through the mill and made lots and lots of jelly and then
several five gallon jugs of wine were perking in the garage. I never got
so tired of grape jelly and wine in my life. Never did that again.
Occasionally I will pick muscadines (scuppernongs) that a friend has
several arbors of. I make jelly and pretty much give it away as I am not
fond of grape jelly. I do eat a lot of table grapes when I can get them
though. Being diabetic I am only allowed to eat fifteen grapes a day and
that isn't much.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Picked a pickup truck load of wild grapes at our deer lease back in the
> sixties. Just backed the truck up under one of the Bois d'Arc trees the
> vines were growing on and Dad and I put plastic in the truck bed and
> then pulled grape clusters until our hands hurt. Drove the 150 miles
> home and then unloaded them.

I don't think I've told my wild grapes misadventure here.

I had picked them in the wooded areas of North Stonington, CT with a
friend for a few years (She was a championship gleaner for anything free.)

One day after the school bus had left I hopped in my two week old (new)
car and drove through the woods, only to see all the vines where we had
picked COVERED with thick layers of poison ivy vines and leaves.

I kept driving and turned down a road where I'd never been before.

The road passed a beautiful dairy farm and just beyond I saw what looked
like freshly turned rich, black earth with thick, luxurious grape vines
full of fruit at the far end of the field.

I parked, picked up my basket, and headed across the field. Two steps
in, I sank up to my knees in what was almost-liquid cow manure. I can
still vividly remember the sensation and the odor. I headed back to the
car where I had no stock of towels, paper towels, or even more than a
couple of sheets of Kleenex (it was a new car and we hadn't begun to
fill it with "emergency supplies" yet. I drove home with the one sheet
of newspaper I did find under my feet and the windows wide open. It
took me the rest of the day to clean myself and the car.

I've never picked wild fruit since.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/3/2010 4:29 PM, gloria.p wrote:

>> Picked a pickup truck load of wild grapes at our deer lease back in
>> the sixties. Just backed the truck up under one of the Bois d'Arc
>> trees the vines were growing on and Dad and I put plastic in the truck
>> bed and then pulled grape clusters until our hands hurt. Drove the 150
>> miles home and then unloaded them.

> I don't think I've told my wild grapes misadventure here.
>
> I had picked them in the wooded areas of North Stonington, CT with a
> friend for a few years (She was a championship gleaner for anything free.)
>
> One day after the school bus had left I hopped in my two week old (new)
> car and drove through the woods, only to see all the vines where we had
> picked COVERED with thick layers of poison ivy vines and leaves.
>
> I kept driving and turned down a road where I'd never been before.
>
> The road passed a beautiful dairy farm and just beyond I saw what looked
> like freshly turned rich, black earth with thick, luxurious grape vines
> full of fruit at the far end of the field.
>
> I parked, picked up my basket, and headed across the field. Two steps
> in, I sank up to my knees in what was almost-liquid cow manure. I can
> still vividly remember the sensation and the odor. I headed back to the
> car where I had no stock of towels, paper towels, or even more than a
> couple of sheets of Kleenex (it was a new car and we hadn't begun to
> fill it with "emergency supplies" yet. I drove home with the one sheet
> of newspaper I did find under my feet and the windows wide open. It took
> me the rest of the day to clean myself and the car.
>
> I've never picked wild fruit since.
>
> gloria p

I've heard of someone being in "deep sh**" before but never knew anyone
who actually had been. ROTFLMAO

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 7/3/2010 4:29 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>

>>> Picked a pickup truck load of wild grapes at our deer lease back in
>>> the sixties. Just backed the truck up under one of the Bois d'Arc
>>> trees the vines were growing on and Dad and I put plastic in the truck
>>> bed and then pulled grape clusters until our hands hurt. Drove the 150
>>> miles home and then unloaded them.

>> I don't think I've told my wild grapes misadventure here.
>>
>> I had picked them in the wooded areas of North Stonington, CT with a
>> friend for a few years (She was a championship gleaner for anything
>> free.)
>>
>> One day after the school bus had left I hopped in my two week old (new)
>> car and drove through the woods, only to see all the vines where we had
>> picked COVERED with thick layers of poison ivy vines and leaves.
>>
>> I kept driving and turned down a road where I'd never been before.
>>
>> The road passed a beautiful dairy farm and just beyond I saw what looked
>> like freshly turned rich, black earth with thick, luxurious grape vines
>> full of fruit at the far end of the field.
>>
>> I parked, picked up my basket, and headed across the field. Two steps
>> in, I sank up to my knees in what was almost-liquid cow manure. I can
>> still vividly remember the sensation and the odor. I headed back to the
>> car where I had no stock of towels, paper towels, or even more than a
>> couple of sheets of Kleenex (it was a new car and we hadn't begun to
>> fill it with "emergency supplies" yet. I drove home with the one sheet
>> of newspaper I did find under my feet and the windows wide open. It took
>> me the rest of the day to clean myself and the car.
>>
>> I've never picked wild fruit since.
>>
>> gloria p

> I've heard of someone being in "deep sh**" before but never knew anyone
> who actually had been. ROTFLMAO

so now when someone says gloria knows her sh*t, they aren't lying (smile).
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Was in the local Big Lots store yesterday and they had lids and jars on a
> pallet. Bought a case of eight ounce (half-pint) canning jars with lids
> and rings for $7.00. The price on lids was okay but nothing spectacular,
> bought six boxes of a dozen for $1.25 a box, about half the cost of lids
> in the local supermarkets so I'm happy. Can always use another case of
> half pints when you're jelling and jamming.
>
> Getting a very good rain right now, according to the radar it is coming
> from the rain bands accompanying Hurricane Alex ashore. Wherever it's from
> we appreciate it, this is the first rain of any consequence we've had this
> summer. Rain gauge is at three-fourths of an inch at the moment and it's
> still raining.

maybe not Freecycle, but have you tried Craig's list?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Was in the local Big Lots store yesterday and they had lids and jars on
>> a pallet. Bought a case of eight ounce (half-pint) canning jars with
>> lids and rings for $7.00.

> Hmm, that's no bargain here, Jorge.

I'm agreeing with Barb there. I think that's around the same price they
carry them at Walmart. And I paid $1.50 a box for regular lids at Wally
World a week ago.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> > Picked a pickup truck load of wild grapes at our deer lease back in the
> > sixties. Just backed the truck up under one of the Bois d'Arc trees the
> > vines were growing on and Dad and I put plastic in the truck bed and
> > then pulled grape clusters until our hands hurt. Drove the 150 miles
> > home and then unloaded them.

> I don't think I've told my wild grapes misadventure here.
>
> I had picked them in the wooded areas of North Stonington, CT with a
> friend for a few years (She was a championship gleaner for anything free.)
>
> One day after the school bus had left I hopped in my two week old (new)
> car and drove through the woods, only to see all the vines where we had
> picked COVERED with thick layers of poison ivy vines and leaves.
>
> I kept driving and turned down a road where I'd never been before.
>
> The road passed a beautiful dairy farm and just beyond I saw what looked
> like freshly turned rich, black earth with thick, luxurious grape vines
> full of fruit at the far end of the field.
>
> I parked, picked up my basket, and headed across the field. Two steps
> in, I sank up to my knees in what was almost-liquid cow manure. I can
> still vividly remember the sensation and the odor. I headed back to the
> car where I had no stock of towels, paper towels, or even more than a
> couple of sheets of Kleenex (it was a new car and we hadn't begun to
> fill it with "emergency supplies" yet. I drove home with the one sheet
> of newspaper I did find under my feet and the windows wide open. It
> took me the rest of the day to clean myself and the car.
>
> I've never picked wild fruit since.
>
> gloria p

ROTFL!!

More canning jars The Cook Preserving 2 21-09-2008 01:44 PM
More about canning jars The Cook Preserving 2 29-08-2008 02:06 PM
Canning jars? Nancy Young General Cooking 14 01-06-2006 03:32 AM
Canning Jars The Cook Preserving 6 25-09-2004 08:53 PM
Canning Jars nutNhoney Preserving 11 21-07-2004 04:21 AM