Cucumbers - can anything be done with dried cucumbers?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Cucumbers - can anything be done with dried cucumbers?

We are experiencing a bumper crop of cucumbers, and we have
saladed out, pickled out, and have a nice shiny food dehydrator,
so was wondering if anyone has come up with any ways to use
dried, vacuum packed cucumber slices? I would like to slice
them, dry them then vacuum pack them with the food saver.

I could think that maybe a soup might work, any other suggestions?

Jim

Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/12/2010 7:09 AM, Jim wrote:
We are experiencing a bumper crop of cucumbers, and we have
saladed out, pickled out, and have a nice shiny food dehydrator,
so was wondering if anyone has come up with any ways to use
dried, vacuum packed cucumber slices? I would like to slice
them, dry them then vacuum pack them with the food saver.

I could think that maybe a soup might work, any other suggestions?

Jim

You're in luck, got me to be curious again and I found this web site
with a reference to dehydrating cukes.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehyd...egetables.html

I wish you success and hope you come back and tell us how they went.

George, Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ
Old 13-06-2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article ,
Jim wrote:

We are experiencing a bumper crop of cucumbers, and we have
saladed out, pickled out, and have a nice shiny food dehydrator,
so was wondering if anyone has come up with any ways to use
dried, vacuum packed cucumber slices? I would like to slice
them, dry them then vacuum pack them with the food saver.

I could think that maybe a soup might work, any other suggestions?

Jim

Donate them to your local food shelf and let someone enjoy a fresh,
decent cucumber. JMO.

Draw faces on them and leave them on the neighbors' doorsteps after dark.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Old 13-06-2010, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jun 12, 8:09*am, Jim wrote:
We are experiencing a bumper crop of cucumbers, and we have
saladed out, pickled out, and have a nice shiny food dehydrator,
so was wondering if anyone has come up with any ways to use
dried, vacuum packed cucumber slices? *I would like to slice
them, dry them then vacuum pack them with the food saver.

I could think that maybe a soup might work, any other suggestions?

Jim

Hi jim,
my mom used to cook the fresh ones like summer squash with a bit if
butter. I'd imagine you could do that with the dried ones as well
after you reconstitute them.
Old 13-06-2010, 03:12 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jun 12, 8:09*am, Jim wrote:

I could think that maybe a soup might work, any other suggestions?
Jim

I suppose by saladed out you mean you've made Cucumber salad? just
in case you haven't tried it, here's How I make it.

Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumber salad

Slice cucumber thinly, slice an onion thinly. salt them and stir
well. If they taste fine to eat, then that's enough salt or you will
end up oversalting them. . Allow to sit for as long as you can stand
it, up to overnight, but at least a half hour. the longer you let
them sit the less watery the salad will be.

Pour into a colander and allow to drain well. add cream or sour
cream til the whole appears nice and creamy (abt a half cup), then add
a bit of vinegar (1-2 tablespoons) to taste if you've used regular
cream. chunk up a tomato or halve a bunch of Grape tomatoes and stir
into salad and serve with freshly ground pepper on top. DON"T add
more salt. LOL
Old 14-06-2010, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Jim wrote:

We are experiencing a bumper crop of cucumbers, and we have
saladed out, pickled out, and have a nice shiny food
dehydrator,
so was wondering if anyone has come up with any ways to use
dried, vacuum packed cucumber slices? I would like to slice
them, dry them then vacuum pack them with the food saver.

I could think that maybe a soup might work, any other
suggestions?

me wishes i lived nearby

no experience with drying them,

but i love making tsatziki sauce
with cucumbers (consider it
a cold yogurt cucumber soup ).

use plain yogurt (no sugar or
flavorings), add a few cloves of
garlic, some cider vinegar (or
other kind if you like), lemon
juice, a little salt, some olive
oil and a few cucumbers (peeled
or not, i peel mine about 70%).

whir in a food processor until
smooth as you'd like. you can
add sprigs of mint as a garnish or
add a few leaves in when
processing (not too much
though as it overpowers easily).

i use it as a salad dressing,
a cold soup, as a topping for
any greek or mediterranian
(first had it on gyros) dish
with lamb or beef. probably
good on chicken and plain
pasta too.

i have no idea if this would
freeze or can well or not, but
i can't see why it wouldn't
most things in it are either
acidic or loaded with beneficial
microbes or compounds. it's
so easy to make fresh i don't
ever think i would bother
canning it.

perhaps i would add an extra shot
of lemon juice or vitamin C if i were
actually going to try to can this.

mine never makes it past a few
days as i eat it up on almost anything.

also, i don't see any reason to
skimp on the cucumbers if you'd
like to add more. this is all to taste
and fun to experiment with if you
have extra cucumbers.

songbird

Old 15-06-2010, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Two reasons not to can yougurt are it's dairy, and the beneficial
bacteria would be destroyed.

If you want to preserve CUKES for this recipe, I think you'd want to
freeze them since they'll be blended when you're done making it anyway
it won't matter if they turn to mush. LOL

Old 17-06-2010, 01:13 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Kitty wrote:

Two reasons not to can yougurt are it's dairy, and the
beneficial
bacteria would be destroyed.

that was kinda a joke i
threw in since it was r.f.p

however, they do can
evaporated milk so it
must be possible to
can dairy. i just see no
point in it as i like cheese
and yogurt enough to make
those instead if i had an
abundance of milk of any
sort... i love goat's milk
cheeses.

If you want to preserve CUKES for this recipe, I think you'd
want to
freeze them since they'll be blended when you're done making it
anyway
it won't matter if they turn to mush. LOL

good point. our freezer is usually
full so i don't tend to put things up
that way. we have no cukes anyways
here. the ones that people give to
us at odd times get turned into cucumber
salad (vinegar, water, sugar and onions)
or tsatziki sauce or put on salads.

i'm almost out of rhubarb sauce
so i should do another batch soon.

songbird

Old 17-06-2010, 01:43 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jun 16, 8:13*pm, "songbird" wrote:
Kitty wrote:
Two reasons not to can yougurt are it's dairy, and the
beneficial
bacteria would be destroyed.

* that was kinda a joke i
threw in since it was r.f.p *

* songbird

yer right, they do can dairy, but I've sorta gotten the idea that we
can't do it at home?

FWIW, Kitty
Old 23-06-2010, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

Thank you all for all the great ideas, they will be put to use.
This group is great.

Jim

Old 29-06-2010, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

I have been reading the responses to this, also hoping for recipes to use
'any' dried veggies... cucumbers included.

I know how to dehydrate but am looking for good ideas on how to use them.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 29-06-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Jim" wrote in message
We are experiencing a bumper crop of cucumbers, and we have
saladed out, pickled out, and have a nice shiny food dehydrator,
so was wondering if anyone has come up with any ways to use
dried, vacuum packed cucumber slices? I would like to slice
them, dry them then vacuum pack them with the food saver.

I could think that maybe a soup might work, any other suggestions?

Most vegetables that can be cooked can be dehydrated and then
re-hydrated in hot water when ready to cook. I often dehydrate a few
trays of hot chiles and then put them through the spice mill and jar for
later use in dishes. Occasionally I will just store the whole chiles and
re-hydrate them when needed in a dish. That way they don't take up space
in the freezer.
Old 29-06-2010, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Most vegetables that can be cooked can be dehydrated and then re-hydrated
in hot water when ready to cook. I often dehydrate a few trays of hot
chiles and then put them through the spice mill and jar for later use in
dishes. Occasionally I will just store the whole chiles and re-hydrate
them when needed in a dish. That way they don't take up space in the
freezer.

Thanks, George that is the way I use them and yes, I dehydrate stuff to save
on freezer space. I am looking to do more now I have the time and will be
at home more often. Atm I make jerky and veggies (especially tomatoes) but
am looking for other ideas

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/