Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Started Sauerkraut Yesterday

Hope I did it right, but if not it is only 2 heads of cabbage and some
salt. I found a thread from about 2007/8 and copied all of the
information. Read it through several times. Thanks to everyone who
contributed to it.

I found a great stomper, the pusher from the chinoise(s?). It is long
enough and substantial. I started with just over 5 pounds of
cabbage, including the cores. I cut the cabbage by hand since it was
easier than messing with the mandoline. I had about 7 quarts of
sliced cabbage. I put a handful in the jar and beat the c**p out of
it, added another handful and repeat. Put in 1 Tablespoon of canning
salt at the 1/2 and full points. I filled the jars to just below the
neck and added water to about 1/4" from the top. Added lid (not
heated) and put a ring on loosely. My 3 jars are now sitting in a
plastic box in the basement where it is cool but not cold and stays
dark almost all of the time. I had about a quart left, so made cole
slaw for supper.

Anyone see any major goofs? Things I should do better next time? Now
I have to remember to go down and check and add water for the next 10
days or so.

If it works well I may plant some fall cabbage for the express purpose
of making sauerkraut.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> Hope I did it right, but if not it is only 2 heads of cabbage and some
> salt. I found a thread from about 2007/8 and copied all of the
> information. Read it through several times. Thanks to everyone who
> contributed to it.
>
> I found a great stomper, the pusher from the chinoise(s?). It is long
> enough and substantial. I started with just over 5 pounds of
> cabbage, including the cores. I cut the cabbage by hand since it was
> easier than messing with the mandoline. I had about 7 quarts of
> sliced cabbage. I put a handful in the jar and beat the c**p out of
> it, added another handful and repeat. Put in 1 Tablespoon of canning
> salt at the 1/2 and full points. I filled the jars to just below the
> neck and added water to about 1/4" from the top. Added lid (not
> heated) and put a ring on loosely. My 3 jars are now sitting in a
> plastic box in the basement where it is cool but not cold and stays
> dark almost all of the time. I had about a quart left, so made cole
> slaw for supper.
>
> Anyone see any major goofs? Things I should do better next time? Now
> I have to remember to go down and check and add water for the next 10
> days or so.
>
> If it works well I may plant some fall cabbage for the express purpose
> of making sauerkraut.

Susan,

I've been making kraut for well over 30 years and have a few points.
Salt concentration and temperature are both important in the
fermentation that converts cabbage into kraut.
Best kraut is made with a ratio of 2.25% by weight of salt to cabbage
but, anywhere from 2% to 2.5% is OK. For 5 lb. of cabbage that works out
to ~3 tablespoons.
If I read your post correctly, you used 2 tablespoons of salt in each of
three jars for a total of 6 tablespoons for about 5 lb. of cabbage.
Higher salt concentrations can slow or even prevent fermentation.
A much simpler and more accurate method is to weigh your cabbage shreds
and thoroughly mix the salt with them at the correct ratio, then pound
them into your fermentation container and weigh them down.
Normally it's not be necessary to add water. If you have the cabbage
shreds packed tightly enough in the jar, the salt should draw enough
juice from the cabbage to cover. You must also have some method of
keeping the shreds totally covered by the liquid.
Next, what is the temperature in your basement? Fermentation temperature
for kraut is ideally between 67ºF and 72ºF.
NCHFP has directions for both producing and preserving kraut at
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/sauerkraut.html
Good luck with your project. Nothing compares to good homemade kraut.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On May 28, 5:16*pm, Ross > wrote:
> The Cook wrote:
> > Hope I did it right, but if not it is only 2 heads of cabbage and some
> > salt. *I found a thread from about 2007/8 and copied all of the
> > information. *Read it through several times. *Thanks to everyone who
> > contributed to it.

> > I found a great stomper, the pusher from the chinoise(s?). *It is long
> > enough *and substantial. *I started with just over 5 pounds of
> > cabbage, including the cores. *I cut the cabbage by hand since it was
> > easier than messing with the mandoline. *I had about 7 quarts of
> > sliced cabbage. *I put a handful in the jar and beat the c**p out of
> > it, added another handful and repeat. *Put in 1 Tablespoon of canning
> > salt at the 1/2 and full points. *I filled the jars to just below the
> > neck and added water to about 1/4" from the top. *Added lid (not
> > heated) and put a ring on loosely. *My 3 jars are now sitting in a
> > plastic box in the basement where it is cool but not cold and stays
> > dark almost all of the time. I had about a quart left, so made cole
> > slaw for supper.

> > Anyone see any major goofs? *Things I should do better next time? *Now
> > I have to remember to go down and check and add water for the next 10
> > days or so.

> > If it works well I may plant some fall cabbage for the express purpose
> > of making sauerkraut.

> Susan,
>
> I've been making kraut for well over 30 years and have a few points.
> Salt concentration and temperature are both important in the
> fermentation that converts cabbage into kraut.
> Best kraut is made with a ratio of 2.25% by weight of salt to cabbage
> but, anywhere from 2% to 2.5% is OK. For 5 lb. of cabbage that works out
> to ~3 tablespoons.
> If I read your post correctly, you used 2 tablespoons of salt in each of
> three jars for a total of 6 tablespoons for about 5 lb. of cabbage.
> Higher salt concentrations can slow or even prevent fermentation.
> A much simpler and more accurate method is to weigh your cabbage shreds
> and thoroughly mix the salt with them at the correct ratio, then pound
> them into your fermentation container and weigh them down.
> Normally it's not be necessary to add water. If you have the cabbage
> shreds packed tightly enough in the jar, the salt should draw enough
> juice from the cabbage to cover. You must also have some method of
> keeping the shreds totally covered by the liquid.
> Next, what is the temperature in your basement? Fermentation temperature
> for kraut is ideally between 67 F and 72 F.
> NCHFP has directions for both producing and preserving kraut athttp://www..uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/sauerkraut.html
> Good luck with your project. Nothing compares to good homemade kraut.
>
> Ross.

Does anyone have the recipe for making Bavarian Sauerkraut. Libby's
sells this in the stores And I just love it but would like to make my
own. One of the ingredients on the can is sugar so I don't know if
they cure it in salt then maybe wash it and can it with sugar.
Thanks
Danny
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Danny > wrote:
> Does anyone have the recipe for making Bavarian Sauerkraut. Libby's
> sells this in the stores And I just love it but would like to make my
> own. One of the ingredients on the can is sugar so I don't know if
> they cure it in salt then maybe wash it and can it with sugar.
> Thanks
> Danny

That's probably what they do, but I'd just add a little sugar and some
caraway seeds when you prepare it.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:40:38 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>That's probably what they do, but I'd just add a little sugar and some
>caraway seeds when you prepare it.

</lurk>
Um, won't adding sugar *before* the ferment just make it more sour?

If you want it sweeter (ugh!) then you'd need to add the sugar *after*
the ferment and then pasteurise to stop the bacteria fermenting the
sugar to more lactic acid.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
The planet is in a pickle, but fermenting will help save us

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Ross McKay > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:40:38 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> >That's probably what they do, but I'd just add a little sugar and some
> >caraway seeds when you prepare it.

> </lurk>
> Um, won't adding sugar *before* the ferment just make it more sour?

Heck if I know. My suggestion was to add a little sugar and some
caraway seeds to the kettle when it is prepared for serving.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:26:34 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>Heck if I know. My suggestion was to add a little sugar and some
>caraway seeds to the kettle when it is prepared for serving.

Right, check. That could do the trick
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jul 16, 6:42*pm, Sunny <Sunny> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:17:46 -0700 (PDT), Danny >
> wrote:
>
> >> NCHFP has directions for both producing and preserving kraut athttp://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/sauerkraut.html
> >> Good luck with your project. Nothing compares to good homemade kraut.

> >> Ross.

> >Does anyone have the recipe for making Bavarian Sauerkraut. *Libby's
> >sells this in the stores And I just love it but would like to make my
> >own. *One of the ingredients on the can is sugar so I don't know if
> >they cure it in salt then maybe wash it and can it with sugar.
> >Thanks
> >Danny

> Boy that brings back memories. *My German Grandma fermented as usual,
> then before canning added sugar and caraway seeds. *Sorry I can't be
> more specific, but I was only 10 or 12 years old. *

I like the idea of fermenting the Kraut, then adding some caraway
seeds and sugar when it is canned.. do you think that would work Ok?
I get the idea that others in the forum do not like the idea of
sugar. But Libby's must sell a lot of it. I keep about 6 cans in my
pantry at all times. And just wanted to make my own.
My wife and I have already canned 14 quarts of tomatoes, 7 quarts of
stewed tomatoes, 7 pints of bread and butter pickles, 14 quarts of
dill pickles, frozen 96 bags of corn and 6 bags of tomatoes and
okra. I come from a remote spot in the Smokey mountains and growing
up we only ate what we had canned during the summer.
Danny
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Started Sauerkraut Yesterday & caraway

On 18/07/2010 3:16 PM, Danny wrote:
> On Jul 16, 6:42 pm, Sunny<Sunny> wrote:

>>> Does anyone have the recipe for making Bavarian Sauerkraut. Libby's
>>> sells this in the stores And I just love it but would like to make my
>>> own. One of the ingredients on the can is sugar so I don't know if
>>> they cure it in salt then maybe wash it and can it with sugar.
>>> Thanks
>>> Danny

>> Boy that brings back memories. My German Grandma fermented as usual,
>> then before canning added sugar and caraway seeds. Sorry I can't be
>> more specific, but I was only 10 or 12 years old.

> I like the idea of fermenting the Kraut, then adding some caraway
> seeds and sugar when it is canned.. do you think that would work Ok?
> I get the idea that others in the forum do not like the idea of
> sugar. But Libby's must sell a lot of it. I keep about 6 cans in my
> pantry at all times. And just wanted to make my own.
> My wife and I have already canned 14 quarts of tomatoes, 7 quarts of
> stewed tomatoes, 7 pints of bread and butter pickles, 14 quarts of
> dill pickles, frozen 96 bags of corn and 6 bags of tomatoes and
> okra. I come from a remote spot in the Smokey mountains and growing
> up we only ate what we had canned during the summer.
> Danny

I add caraway when I add the salt after shredding the cabbage. It work
perfect and you get a unform taste of the spiceI've made it for 40 years
and never had a problem.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 19/07/2010 7:30 PM, Sunny wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:16:00 -0700 (PDT), >
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 16, 6:42 pm, Sunny<Sunny> wrote:

>>> Boy that brings back memories. My German Grandma fermented as usual,
>>> then before canning added sugar and caraway seeds. Sorry I can't be
>>> more specific, but I was only 10 or 12 years old.

>> I like the idea of fermenting the Kraut, then adding some caraway
>> seeds and sugar when it is canned.. do you think that would work Ok?
>> I get the idea that others in the forum do not like the idea of
>> sugar. But Libby's must sell a lot of it. I keep about 6 cans in my
>> pantry at all times. And just wanted to make my own.
>> My wife and I have already canned 14 quarts of tomatoes, 7 quarts of
>> stewed tomatoes, 7 pints of bread and butter pickles, 14 quarts of
>> dill pickles, frozen 96 bags of corn and 6 bags of tomatoes and
>> okra. I come from a remote spot in the Smokey mountains and growing
>> up we only ate what we had canned during the summer.
>> Danny

> As Isaid, that's how my grandma did it. Trouble is, I can't provide
> specific abounts of sugar or caraway. Maybe someone more familiar
> with kraut can help. Sounds like you've been busy. My mom used to
> can 104 quarts of tomatoes each summer so we'd have 2 to 3 a week
> after the season was over.
>
> Lou

You add sauerkraut by taste and it can't really be overdone. Sugar is a
different story since it is a preservative.

Getting started George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 4 20-07-2013 12:58 PM
Getting started(Please help) zven Winemaking 3 24-01-2006 06:33 PM
Getting started Mark MacRae Chocolate 0 17-02-2005 05:49 PM
Getting Started Peter Corfield Winemaking 3 07-09-2004 03:41 PM