lady ashburnham pickles

Old 01-10-2004, 04:13 AM
anighta
Usenet poster

Default lady ashburnham pickles

I made this recipe yesterday. It has been a family favorite for years. I
would be happy to share it. This is the first time that I have joined
anything like this on the internet and am not sure what to do
next...........Anita

Old 01-10-2004, 05:52 AM
baker
Usenet poster

"anighta" wrote in
lkaboutcooking.com:

I made this recipe yesterday. It has been a family favorite for years. I
would be happy to share it. This is the first time that I have joined
anything like this on the internet and am not sure what to do
next...........Anita

Please post it here! I'm sure many would be interested. And...welcome!

--
It's me, Baker!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Peter Watson
Usenet poster

write it out post it... love to read it and maybe give it a whirl

Peter Watson

Old 01-10-2004, 01:52 PM
anighta
Usenet poster

12 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, & diced)
1/4 cup course salt
Combine in a large dutch oven or pot & let stand overnight. Drain Well in
the morning.
Add a pint of finely chopped onions to the mixture.
Make a paste of the following:
2 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
3 tblsp flour
1 tblsp dry mustard
1 tblsp tumeric
1 tblsp mustard seed
1 tblsp celery seed

Simmer the paste until smooth and slightly thickened. Add to the
cucumber/onion mixture and simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Fill hot clean
pint jars with mixture and process in a boiling water canner for 20
minutes.

This recipe is quite 'tart' and will make 7-8 pint jars. It is a delicious
side dish and very good on burgers and sandwiches. Hope you Enjoy

Old 01-10-2004, 06:46 PM
anighta
Usenet poster

I purchased 'large field cucumbers' from our local vegetable market. They
weighed about 1-1.5 pounds each.
Anita.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Peter Watson
Usenet poster

There are many versions of this most english of recipes, there is much
that can be added into the mix, cauliflower, raddish, green tomato,
capsicum are all popular choices. In the main these pickles are always
tart and are delicious with cold meats. They formed a very important
part of the english cold table.

Peter Watson

Old 02-10-2004, 01:55 AM
baker
Usenet poster

"anighta" wrote in
lkaboutcooking.com:

[...]

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to give this a try very soon.

--
It's me, Baker!