julia

Default freezing apple crisp

I'd like to try freezing apple crisps (or apple crumble with oatmeal in the
topping is probably the more proper term). I wasn't sure if it was better to
freeze the whole thing before cooking, or cook the apple part (like the
apple pie recipe in the Ball Home Canning book) and freeze that, then I'd
just have to make the topping. The Ball book says that both raw and cooked
pies may be frozen, so I was thinking this should apply to crisps and
crumbles as well. Anyone ever try this or have any suggestions on doing
this?
TIA!
-julia

windriverfamily

"julia" > wrote in message
> I'd like to try freezing apple crisps <snip> Anyone ever try this or have

any suggestions on doing
> this?
> TIA!
> -julia

Yes, been there, done that with both just apples and apples already topped.
Works great both ways. I like my crisps to be pretty dry. My best has been
to cut and sugar the apples- let the juice express for 30 mins- then drain
and fashion the crisp. With that method, you can pop the frozen crisp right
in the oven! Gotta cook slowly though- you dont want to burn the topping
before the middle heats up.

Good luck!
skg

windriverfamily

"julia" > wrote in message
> I'd like to try freezing apple crisps <snip> Anyone ever try this or have

any suggestions on doing
> this?
> TIA!
> -julia

Yes, been there, done that with both just apples and apples already topped.
Works great both ways. I like my crisps to be pretty dry. My best has been
to cut and sugar the apples- let the juice express for 30 mins- then drain
and fashion the crisp. With that method, you can pop the frozen crisp right
in the oven! Gotta cook slowly though- you dont want to burn the topping
before the middle heats up.

Good luck!
skg

julia

"windriverfamily" > wrote in message

> Yes, been there, done that with both just apples and apples already

topped.
> Works great both ways. I like my crisps to be pretty dry. My best has

been
> to cut and sugar the apples- let the juice express for 30 mins- then drain
> and fashion the crisp. With that method, you can pop the frozen crisp

right
> in the oven! Gotta cook slowly though- you dont want to burn the topping
> before the middle heats up.
>
> Good luck!
> skg

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try freezing some apple pie filling too,
as the apples this year are really good. I'll probably be going apple
picking again with my daughters at least one more time this season, so there
will be plenty of apples to experiment with!
-j

julia

"windriverfamily" > wrote in message

> Yes, been there, done that with both just apples and apples already

topped.
> Works great both ways. I like my crisps to be pretty dry. My best has

been
> to cut and sugar the apples- let the juice express for 30 mins- then drain
> and fashion the crisp. With that method, you can pop the frozen crisp

right
> in the oven! Gotta cook slowly though- you dont want to burn the topping
> before the middle heats up.
>
> Good luck!
> skg

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try freezing some apple pie filling too,
as the apples this year are really good. I'll probably be going apple
picking again with my daughters at least one more time this season, so there
will be plenty of apples to experiment with!
-j

William R. Watt

I pare and slice apples into empty 1 lb margerine tubs and stack them in
the freezer compartment of the 'fridge. Stacked 4 high they just fit. Each
contains 2 cups, just right for microwave apple crisp.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Apple Pie Crisp Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 06-06-2008 01:08 AM
REC: apple crisp Jackie Patti[_2_] Diabetic 7 29-10-2007 02:58 AM
Apple Crisp: Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:15 PM
Freezing an apple crisp Peter Werner Baking 14 18-08-2004 10:26 PM