ruzicka

Default Can pesto be canned/preserved?

Hello all!
I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife and
me.
We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to use
as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?
Can one use a BWB or pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something
undesirable to the pesto?
Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here know of a good
website where we might be able to find interesting recipes for different
kinds of pesto?
Thanks!
P. Ruzicka

zxcvbob

ruzicka wrote:

> Hello all!
> I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife and
> me.
> We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to use
> as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
> though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?
> Can one use a BWB or pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something
> undesirable to the pesto?
> Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here know of a good
> website where we might be able to find interesting recipes for different
> kinds of pesto?
> Thanks!
> P. Ruzicka

It freezes very well, but that's pretty much the only option that works
for preserving it.

Bob
zxcvbob

ruzicka wrote:

> Hello all!
> I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife and
> me.
> We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to use
> as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
> though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?
> Can one use a BWB or pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something
> undesirable to the pesto?
> Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here know of a good
> website where we might be able to find interesting recipes for different
> kinds of pesto?
> Thanks!
> P. Ruzicka

It freezes very well, but that's pretty much the only option that works
for preserving it.

Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "ruzicka"
> wrote:

> Hello all! I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer
> this for my wife and me. We were think about making several different
> kinds of pesto this fall to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
> The big thing we are not sure of though, is whether or not
> traditional pesto can be canned and preserved? Can one use a BWB or
> pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something undesirable to
> the pesto? Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here
> know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting
> recipes for different kinds of pesto? Thanks!

> P. Ruzicka

The short answer is no. Pesto's a fresh (not cooked) product. Your
best bet would be to freeze it if that fits the logistics of your
gift-giving.
Here's from the NCHFP site's FAQ file. That they say twice there are no
home canning recommendations says something, I think.

<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "ruzicka"
> wrote:

> Hello all! I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer
> this for my wife and me. We were think about making several different
> kinds of pesto this fall to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
> The big thing we are not sure of though, is whether or not
> traditional pesto can be canned and preserved? Can one use a BWB or
> pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something undesirable to
> the pesto? Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here
> know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting
> recipes for different kinds of pesto? Thanks!

> P. Ruzicka

The short answer is no. Pesto's a fresh (not cooked) product. Your
best bet would be to freeze it if that fits the logistics of your
gift-giving.
Here's from the NCHFP site's FAQ file. That they say twice there are no
home canning recommendations says something, I think.

<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "ruzicka"
> wrote:

> Hello all! I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer
> this for my wife and me. We were think about making several different
> kinds of pesto this fall to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
> The big thing we are not sure of though, is whether or not
> traditional pesto can be canned and preserved? Can one use a BWB or
> pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something undesirable to
> the pesto? Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here
> know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting
> recipes for different kinds of pesto? Thanks!

> P. Ruzicka

The short answer is no. Pesto's a fresh (not cooked) product. Your
best bet would be to freeze it if that fits the logistics of your
gift-giving.
Here's from the NCHFP site's FAQ file. That they say twice there are no
home canning recommendations says something, I think.

<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

Brian Mailman

ruzicka wrote:

> Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope,

Don't think so, frozen.

> does anyone here know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting recipes
> for different kinds of pesto?

Whether or not it's a good website could be arguable I suppose but I've
got several on mine, here's the Sauce Index:

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ces_index.html

B/
> Thanks!
> P. Ruzicka

Brian Mailman

ruzicka wrote:

> Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope,

Don't think so, frozen.

> does anyone here know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting recipes
> for different kinds of pesto?

Whether or not it's a good website could be arguable I suppose but I've
got several on mine, here's the Sauce Index:

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ces_index.html

B/
> Thanks!
> P. Ruzicka

Brian Mailman

ruzicka wrote:

> Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope,

Don't think so, frozen.

> does anyone here know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting recipes
> for different kinds of pesto?

Whether or not it's a good website could be arguable I suppose but I've
got several on mine, here's the Sauce Index:

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ces_index.html

B/
> Thanks!
> P. Ruzicka

Blanche Nonken

"ruzicka" > wrote:

> Hello all!
> I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife and
> me.
> We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to use
> as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
> though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?

Here's something I've been tossing around in my head. (ignore the
rattling sounds.)

Dried basil, soaked, makes a passable, not great but acceptible in a
pinch pesto. I've done it when speed and circumstances require, by
tying the basil in a piece of cheesecloth (large enough to allow for
expansion) , dropping it in a pot of barely simmering water, when the
basil is as tender as it's going to get (no more than five minutes) pull
out the cheesecloth and add the pasta to cook in the now greenish water.
Empty the cheesecloth bag into a food processor or blender with chopped
parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic, blend or pulse until
smoothly chunky. Add a bit of the water from the pasta to thin as
needed, drain the pasta when cooked, toss together and serve.

Perhaps a gift of a prettily topped canning jar or even a decent mortar
and pestle, with some dried basil tied in the right size square of
cheesecloth, a seperate bag of pine nuts and/or walnuts, a small
gift-sized bottle of extra virgin olive oil, a chunk of the right kind
of cheese, a nicely printed or written label with instructions, and a
nicely shaped bulb of garlic wrapped in tulle, tied at the top with a
ribbon and tied to the bottle/pestle with the instruction label?

(Or get a small pot with a started basil plant, or a bundle of fresh
basil tied together as a bouquet with a mortar (and pestle) as the vase,
etc.)

Not as cheap as making your own, but a nice gift combination. Basil
seeds and a tiny starting kit along with the other stuff would also make
a nice "pesto kit" for Xmas/Chanukah, which is when the seed catalogs
start showing up anyway.

Blanche Nonken

"ruzicka" > wrote:

> Hello all!
> I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife and
> me.
> We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to use
> as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
> though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?

Here's something I've been tossing around in my head. (ignore the
rattling sounds.)

Dried basil, soaked, makes a passable, not great but acceptible in a
pinch pesto. I've done it when speed and circumstances require, by
tying the basil in a piece of cheesecloth (large enough to allow for
expansion) , dropping it in a pot of barely simmering water, when the
basil is as tender as it's going to get (no more than five minutes) pull
out the cheesecloth and add the pasta to cook in the now greenish water.
Empty the cheesecloth bag into a food processor or blender with chopped
parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic, blend or pulse until
smoothly chunky. Add a bit of the water from the pasta to thin as
needed, drain the pasta when cooked, toss together and serve.

Perhaps a gift of a prettily topped canning jar or even a decent mortar
and pestle, with some dried basil tied in the right size square of
cheesecloth, a seperate bag of pine nuts and/or walnuts, a small
gift-sized bottle of extra virgin olive oil, a chunk of the right kind
of cheese, a nicely printed or written label with instructions, and a
nicely shaped bulb of garlic wrapped in tulle, tied at the top with a
ribbon and tied to the bottle/pestle with the instruction label?

(Or get a small pot with a started basil plant, or a bundle of fresh
basil tied together as a bouquet with a mortar (and pestle) as the vase,
etc.)

Not as cheap as making your own, but a nice gift combination. Basil
seeds and a tiny starting kit along with the other stuff would also make
a nice "pesto kit" for Xmas/Chanukah, which is when the seed catalogs
start showing up anyway.
ruzicka

"Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message
> "ruzicka" > wrote:
>
>> Hello all!
>> I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife
>> and
>> me.
>> We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to
>> use
>> as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
>> though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?

> Here's something I've been tossing around in my head. (ignore the
> rattling sounds.)
>
> Dried basil, soaked, makes a passable, not great but acceptible in a
> pinch pesto. I've done it when speed and circumstances require, by
> tying the basil in a piece of cheesecloth (large enough to allow for
> expansion) , dropping it in a pot of barely simmering water, when the
> basil is as tender as it's going to get (no more than five minutes) pull
> out the cheesecloth and add the pasta to cook in the now greenish water.
> Empty the cheesecloth bag into a food processor or blender with chopped
> parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic, blend or pulse until
> smoothly chunky. Add a bit of the water from the pasta to thin as
> needed, drain the pasta when cooked, toss together and serve.
>
> Perhaps a gift of a prettily topped canning jar or even a decent mortar
> and pestle, with some dried basil tied in the right size square of
> cheesecloth, a seperate bag of pine nuts and/or walnuts, a small
> gift-sized bottle of extra virgin olive oil, a chunk of the right kind
> of cheese, a nicely printed or written label with instructions, and a
> nicely shaped bulb of garlic wrapped in tulle, tied at the top with a
> ribbon and tied to the bottle/pestle with the instruction label?
>
> (Or get a small pot with a started basil plant, or a bundle of fresh
> basil tied together as a bouquet with a mortar (and pestle) as the vase,
> etc.)
>
> Not as cheap as making your own, but a nice gift combination. Basil
> seeds and a tiny starting kit along with the other stuff would also make
> a nice "pesto kit" for Xmas/Chanukah, which is when the seed catalogs
> start showing up anyway.

Thanks! I'll pass these ideas on to my wife!

ruzicka

"Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message
> "ruzicka" > wrote:
>
>> Hello all!
>> I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife
>> and
>> me.
>> We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to
>> use
>> as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
>> though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?

> Here's something I've been tossing around in my head. (ignore the
> rattling sounds.)
>
> Dried basil, soaked, makes a passable, not great but acceptible in a
> pinch pesto. I've done it when speed and circumstances require, by
> tying the basil in a piece of cheesecloth (large enough to allow for
> expansion) , dropping it in a pot of barely simmering water, when the
> basil is as tender as it's going to get (no more than five minutes) pull
> out the cheesecloth and add the pasta to cook in the now greenish water.
> Empty the cheesecloth bag into a food processor or blender with chopped
> parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic, blend or pulse until
> smoothly chunky. Add a bit of the water from the pasta to thin as
> needed, drain the pasta when cooked, toss together and serve.
>
> Perhaps a gift of a prettily topped canning jar or even a decent mortar
> and pestle, with some dried basil tied in the right size square of
> cheesecloth, a seperate bag of pine nuts and/or walnuts, a small
> gift-sized bottle of extra virgin olive oil, a chunk of the right kind
> of cheese, a nicely printed or written label with instructions, and a
> nicely shaped bulb of garlic wrapped in tulle, tied at the top with a
> ribbon and tied to the bottle/pestle with the instruction label?
>
> (Or get a small pot with a started basil plant, or a bundle of fresh
> basil tied together as a bouquet with a mortar (and pestle) as the vase,
> etc.)
>
> Not as cheap as making your own, but a nice gift combination. Basil
> seeds and a tiny starting kit along with the other stuff would also make
> a nice "pesto kit" for Xmas/Chanukah, which is when the seed catalogs
> start showing up anyway.

Thanks! I'll pass these ideas on to my wife!

ruzicka

"Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message
> "ruzicka" > wrote:
>
>> Hello all!
>> I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer this for my wife
>> and
>> me.
>> We were think about making several different kinds of pesto this fall to
>> use
>> as stocking stuffers for Christmas. The big thing we are not sure of
>> though, is whether or not traditional pesto can be canned and preserved?

> Here's something I've been tossing around in my head. (ignore the
> rattling sounds.)
>
> Dried basil, soaked, makes a passable, not great but acceptible in a
> pinch pesto. I've done it when speed and circumstances require, by
> tying the basil in a piece of cheesecloth (large enough to allow for
> expansion) , dropping it in a pot of barely simmering water, when the
> basil is as tender as it's going to get (no more than five minutes) pull
> out the cheesecloth and add the pasta to cook in the now greenish water.
> Empty the cheesecloth bag into a food processor or blender with chopped
> parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic, blend or pulse until
> smoothly chunky. Add a bit of the water from the pasta to thin as
> needed, drain the pasta when cooked, toss together and serve.
>
> Perhaps a gift of a prettily topped canning jar or even a decent mortar
> and pestle, with some dried basil tied in the right size square of
> cheesecloth, a seperate bag of pine nuts and/or walnuts, a small
> gift-sized bottle of extra virgin olive oil, a chunk of the right kind
> of cheese, a nicely printed or written label with instructions, and a
> nicely shaped bulb of garlic wrapped in tulle, tied at the top with a
> ribbon and tied to the bottle/pestle with the instruction label?
>
> (Or get a small pot with a started basil plant, or a bundle of fresh
> basil tied together as a bouquet with a mortar (and pestle) as the vase,
> etc.)
>
> Not as cheap as making your own, but a nice gift combination. Basil
> seeds and a tiny starting kit along with the other stuff would also make
> a nice "pesto kit" for Xmas/Chanukah, which is when the seed catalogs
> start showing up anyway.

Thanks! I'll pass these ideas on to my wife!

ruzicka

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "ruzicka"
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello all! I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer
>> this for my wife and me. We were think about making several different
>> kinds of pesto this fall to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
>> The big thing we are not sure of though, is whether or not
>> traditional pesto can be canned and preserved? Can one use a BWB or
>> pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something undesirable to
>> the pesto? Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here
>> know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting
>> recipes for different kinds of pesto? Thanks!

>> P. Ruzicka

> The short answer is no. Pesto's a fresh (not cooked) product. Your
> best bet would be to freeze it if that fits the logistics of your
> gift-giving.
> Here's from the NCHFP site's FAQ file. That they say twice there are no
> home canning recommendations says something, I think.
>
> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
> How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
> Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
> of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
> flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
> refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
> recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
> before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
> practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
> usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
> term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare
> tab.

Just out of curiosity....
If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which we
brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
such in order to keep it in jars.
So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

ruzicka

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "ruzicka"
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello all! I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer
>> this for my wife and me. We were think about making several different
>> kinds of pesto this fall to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
>> The big thing we are not sure of though, is whether or not
>> traditional pesto can be canned and preserved? Can one use a BWB or
>> pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something undesirable to
>> the pesto? Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here
>> know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting
>> recipes for different kinds of pesto? Thanks!

>> P. Ruzicka

> The short answer is no. Pesto's a fresh (not cooked) product. Your
> best bet would be to freeze it if that fits the logistics of your
> gift-giving.
> Here's from the NCHFP site's FAQ file. That they say twice there are no
> home canning recommendations says something, I think.
>
> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
> How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
> Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
> of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
> flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
> refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
> recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
> before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
> practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
> usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
> term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare
> tab.

Just out of curiosity....
If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which we
brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
such in order to keep it in jars.
So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

ruzicka

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "ruzicka"
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello all! I was hoping that someone here might be able to answer
>> this for my wife and me. We were think about making several different
>> kinds of pesto this fall to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
>> The big thing we are not sure of though, is whether or not
>> traditional pesto can be canned and preserved? Can one use a BWB or
>> pressure canner? Or will the extra heat to something undesirable to
>> the pesto? Lastly, assuming we CAN do what we hope, does anyone here
>> know of a good website where we might be able to find interesting
>> recipes for different kinds of pesto? Thanks!

>> P. Ruzicka

> The short answer is no. Pesto's a fresh (not cooked) product. Your
> best bet would be to freeze it if that fits the logistics of your
> gift-giving.
> Here's from the NCHFP site's FAQ file. That they say twice there are no
> home canning recommendations says something, I think.
>
> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
> How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
> Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
> of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
> flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
> refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
> recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
> before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
> practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
> usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
> term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare
> tab.

Just out of curiosity....
If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which we
brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
such in order to keep it in jars.
So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

Deb

> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
> How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
> Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
> of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
> flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
> refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
> recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
> before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
> practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
> usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
> term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He was
making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the seafood
dish he was making.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

Deb

> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
> How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
> Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
> of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
> flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
> refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
> recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
> before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
> practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
> usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
> term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He was
making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the seafood
dish he was making.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

Deb

> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
> How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
> Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
> of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
> flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
> refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
> recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
> before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
> practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
> usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
> term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He was
making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the seafood
dish he was making.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

Deb

> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
> How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
> Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
> of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
> flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
> refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
> recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
> before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
> practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
> usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
> term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare

tab.

Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He was
making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the seafood
dish he was making.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

Judith Umbria

"ruzicka" > wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity....
> If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
> pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
> the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which

we
> brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
> the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
> such in order to keep it in jars.
> So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
> interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

Yes, we have many different pestos from many regions on our grocery shelves,
but they are not good compared to homemade fresh pesto. We also have fresh
ones in our refrigerated section, marginally better, but still not that
good.
The thing is, it is a seasonal food. The season for basil is much longer
here since it is sun oriented, but when you can no longer give the basil,
under cover, enough sun to develop flavor, the season halts.
The answer here is to make a paste of just oil and basil and freeze it.
Then it can be turned into pesto at will, or used in any other recipe. When
you pack it into jars, float some oil on top to protect the paste. Although
many recommend freezing cubes, I find basil very prone to drying and damage
unless it is under oil.
There are pestos from every hot region, but unless you read Italian I don't
know a website where you can get the recipes. They mostly differ in adding
tomato, or ricotta or using a different cheese from Ligurian.
There is a flavor note in basil which disappears when cooked or dried. The
Ligurians and many others also say that basil doesn't taste the same when
not grown in Liguria. I don't know. I have had what I considered great
pesto outside of Liguria, but then I am not Ligurian.

Judith Umbria

"ruzicka" > wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity....
> If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
> pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
> the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which

we
> brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
> the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
> such in order to keep it in jars.
> So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
> interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

Yes, we have many different pestos from many regions on our grocery shelves,
but they are not good compared to homemade fresh pesto. We also have fresh
ones in our refrigerated section, marginally better, but still not that
good.
The thing is, it is a seasonal food. The season for basil is much longer
here since it is sun oriented, but when you can no longer give the basil,
under cover, enough sun to develop flavor, the season halts.
The answer here is to make a paste of just oil and basil and freeze it.
Then it can be turned into pesto at will, or used in any other recipe. When
you pack it into jars, float some oil on top to protect the paste. Although
many recommend freezing cubes, I find basil very prone to drying and damage
unless it is under oil.
There are pestos from every hot region, but unless you read Italian I don't
know a website where you can get the recipes. They mostly differ in adding
tomato, or ricotta or using a different cheese from Ligurian.
There is a flavor note in basil which disappears when cooked or dried. The
Ligurians and many others also say that basil doesn't taste the same when
not grown in Liguria. I don't know. I have had what I considered great
pesto outside of Liguria, but then I am not Ligurian.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "ruzicka"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > The short answer is no. Pesto's a fresh (not cooked) product.
> > Your best bet would be to freeze it if that fits the logistics of
> > your gift-giving. Here's from the NCHFP site's FAQ file. That they
> > say twice there are no home canning recommendations says something,
> > I think.

> Just out of curiosity.... If pesto can only be frozen to keep it
> good, what is done to the jars of pesto one can easily find in
> supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of the Ligurian region of
> Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which we brought home
> with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in the
> birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
> such in order to keep it in jars. So how DO they do it? Even if it's
> a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be interested in finding out.
> Thanks again to all!

I don't know what they do in Liguria. I seem to recall from a
conversation with a food scientist friend that manufacturers don't have
to list every ingredient in a product. I.e., if the ingredient is below
a certain quantity or percentage of total, it doesn't have to be listed.
That might be what's happening with the commercially produced stuff - it
has a small amount of a preservative. JAT.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.

George Shirley

Deb wrote:

>> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
>>How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
>>Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
>>of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
>>flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
>>refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
>>recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
>>before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
>>practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
>>usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
>>term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
>>--
>>-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare

> tab.
>

> Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He was
> making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
> bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the seafood
> dish he was making.
>
> Deb

And I once saw a show done by the guy that's now chef on "Epicurious"
where he used some pretty deadly canning techniques. I wrote a letter to
FoodTV complaining about him and got no response at all.

George

George Shirley

Deb wrote:

>> <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31> :
>>How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?
>>Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth
>>of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be
>>flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the
>>refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning
>>recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely
>>before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene
>>practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs,
>>usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long
>>term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.
>>--
>>-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 9/2/04; check the Fairs Fare

> tab.
>

> Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He was
> making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
> bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the seafood
> dish he was making.
>
> Deb

And I once saw a show done by the guy that's now chef on "Epicurious"
where he used some pretty deadly canning techniques. I wrote a letter to
FoodTV complaining about him and got no response at all.

George

George Shirley

Judith Umbria wrote:

> "ruzicka" > wrote in message
>
>>Just out of curiosity....
>>If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
>>pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
>>the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which

> we
>
>>brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
>>the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
>>such in order to keep it in jars.
>>So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
>>interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

> Yes, we have many different pestos from many regions on our grocery shelves,
> but they are not good compared to homemade fresh pesto. We also have fresh
> ones in our refrigerated section, marginally better, but still not that
> good.
> The thing is, it is a seasonal food. The season for basil is much longer
> here since it is sun oriented, but when you can no longer give the basil,
> under cover, enough sun to develop flavor, the season halts.
> The answer here is to make a paste of just oil and basil and freeze it.
> Then it can be turned into pesto at will, or used in any other recipe. When
> you pack it into jars, float some oil on top to protect the paste. Although
> many recommend freezing cubes, I find basil very prone to drying and damage
> unless it is under oil.
> There are pestos from every hot region, but unless you read Italian I don't
> know a website where you can get the recipes. They mostly differ in adding
> tomato, or ricotta or using a different cheese from Ligurian.
> There is a flavor note in basil which disappears when cooked or dried. The
> Ligurians and many others also say that basil doesn't taste the same when
> not grown in Liguria. I don't know. I have had what I considered great
> pesto outside of Liguria, but then I am not Ligurian.

I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
cheese and nuts and chow down.

George

George Shirley

Judith Umbria wrote:

> "ruzicka" > wrote in message
>
>>Just out of curiosity....
>>If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
>>pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
>>the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which

> we
>
>>brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
>>the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
>>such in order to keep it in jars.
>>So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
>>interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

> Yes, we have many different pestos from many regions on our grocery shelves,
> but they are not good compared to homemade fresh pesto. We also have fresh
> ones in our refrigerated section, marginally better, but still not that
> good.
> The thing is, it is a seasonal food. The season for basil is much longer
> here since it is sun oriented, but when you can no longer give the basil,
> under cover, enough sun to develop flavor, the season halts.
> The answer here is to make a paste of just oil and basil and freeze it.
> Then it can be turned into pesto at will, or used in any other recipe. When
> you pack it into jars, float some oil on top to protect the paste. Although
> many recommend freezing cubes, I find basil very prone to drying and damage
> unless it is under oil.
> There are pestos from every hot region, but unless you read Italian I don't
> know a website where you can get the recipes. They mostly differ in adding
> tomato, or ricotta or using a different cheese from Ligurian.
> There is a flavor note in basil which disappears when cooked or dried. The
> Ligurians and many others also say that basil doesn't taste the same when
> not grown in Liguria. I don't know. I have had what I considered great
> pesto outside of Liguria, but then I am not Ligurian.

I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
cheese and nuts and chow down.

George

George Shirley

Judith Umbria wrote:

> "ruzicka" > wrote in message
>
>>Just out of curiosity....
>>If pesto can only be frozen to keep it good, what is done to the jars of
>>pesto one can easily find in supermarkets and such? Even in the heart of
>>the Ligurian region of Italy, we found many wonderful jars of pesto which

> we
>
>>brought home with us and have stored a long time. I can't believe that in
>>the birthplace of pesto (Liguria), they use a bunch of preservatives and
>>such in order to keep it in jars.
>>So how DO they do it? Even if it's a way that I can not duplicate, I'd be
>>interested in finding out. Thanks again to all!

> Yes, we have many different pestos from many regions on our grocery shelves,
> but they are not good compared to homemade fresh pesto. We also have fresh
> ones in our refrigerated section, marginally better, but still not that
> good.
> The thing is, it is a seasonal food. The season for basil is much longer
> here since it is sun oriented, but when you can no longer give the basil,
> under cover, enough sun to develop flavor, the season halts.
> The answer here is to make a paste of just oil and basil and freeze it.
> Then it can be turned into pesto at will, or used in any other recipe. When
> you pack it into jars, float some oil on top to protect the paste. Although
> many recommend freezing cubes, I find basil very prone to drying and damage
> unless it is under oil.
> There are pestos from every hot region, but unless you read Italian I don't
> know a website where you can get the recipes. They mostly differ in adding
> tomato, or ricotta or using a different cheese from Ligurian.
> There is a flavor note in basil which disappears when cooked or dried. The
> Ligurians and many others also say that basil doesn't taste the same when
> not grown in Liguria. I don't know. I have had what I considered great
> pesto outside of Liguria, but then I am not Ligurian.

I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
cheese and nuts and chow down.

George

Judith Umbria

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Judith Umbria wrote:
> I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
> bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
> quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
> come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
> cheese and nuts and chow down.
>
> George

Hey! Where's the garlic?
(Picture that little old lady asking where's the beef)
Not ever having had a vacuum packer, I guess that's the answer we are
missing.

Judith Umbria

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Judith Umbria wrote:
> I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
> bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
> quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
> come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
> cheese and nuts and chow down.
>
> George

Hey! Where's the garlic?
(Picture that little old lady asking where's the beef)
Not ever having had a vacuum packer, I guess that's the answer we are
missing.

Judith Umbria

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Judith Umbria wrote:
> I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
> bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
> quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
> come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
> cheese and nuts and chow down.
>
> George

Hey! Where's the garlic?
(Picture that little old lady asking where's the beef)
Not ever having had a vacuum packer, I guess that's the answer we are
missing.

George Shirley

Judith Umbria wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Judith Umbria wrote:
>>I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
>>bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
>>quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
>>come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
>>cheese and nuts and chow down.
>>
>>George

> Hey! Where's the garlic?
> (Picture that little old lady asking where's the beef)
> Not ever having had a vacuum packer, I guess that's the answer we are
> missing.

As Emeril Lagasse says, "add about 85 cloves, or to taste." I've even
successfully added the cheese and then frozen it. Came out great and was
ready as soon as it thawed. Vacuum sealing keeps the cheese from going
off as it keeps the pesto fresh.

George

George Shirley

Judith Umbria wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Judith Umbria wrote:
>>I make basil pesto annually and mix the oil and basil, freeze it on a
>>bun sheet, then cut it (with a pizza cutter) into squares that fit into
>>quart vacuum seal bags, vac seal them and refreeze. I've had the stuff
>>come out of the freezer after three years as good as fresh. Add the
>>cheese and nuts and chow down.
>>
>>George

> Hey! Where's the garlic?
> (Picture that little old lady asking where's the beef)
> Not ever having had a vacuum packer, I guess that's the answer we are
> missing.

As Emeril Lagasse says, "add about 85 cloves, or to taste." I've even
successfully added the cheese and then frozen it. Came out great and was
ready as soon as it thawed. Vacuum sealing keeps the cheese from going
off as it keeps the pesto fresh.

George

Deb

> > Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He

was
> > making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
> > bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the

seafood
> > dish he was making.
> >
> > Deb

> And I once saw a show done by the guy that's now chef on "Epicurious"
> where he used some pretty deadly canning techniques. I wrote a letter to
> FoodTV complaining about him and got no response at all.
>
> George

These people who get paid to show their stuff on TV have an obligation to do
it safely. A lot of people trust them to be showing safe as well as tasty
methods.

It would still be commercially viable.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

Deb

> > Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He

was
> > making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
> > bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the

seafood
> > dish he was making.
> >
> > Deb

> And I once saw a show done by the guy that's now chef on "Epicurious"
> where he used some pretty deadly canning techniques. I wrote a letter to
> FoodTV complaining about him and got no response at all.
>
> George

These people who get paid to show their stuff on TV have an obligation to do
it safely. A lot of people trust them to be showing safe as well as tasty
methods.

It would still be commercially viable.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

Deb

> > Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He

was
> > making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
> > bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the

seafood
> > dish he was making.
> >
> > Deb

> And I once saw a show done by the guy that's now chef on "Epicurious"
> where he used some pretty deadly canning techniques. I wrote a letter to
> FoodTV complaining about him and got no response at all.
>
> George

These people who get paid to show their stuff on TV have an obligation to do
it safely. A lot of people trust them to be showing safe as well as tasty
methods.

It would still be commercially viable.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET.

George Shirley

Deb wrote:

>>>Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He

> was
>
>>>making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
>>>bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the

> seafood
>
>>>dish he was making.
>>>
>>>Deb

>>And I once saw a show done by the guy that's now chef on "Epicurious"
>>where he used some pretty deadly canning techniques. I wrote a letter to
>>FoodTV complaining about him and got no response at all.
>>
>>George
>>

> These people who get paid to show their stuff on TV have an obligation to do
> it safely. A lot of people trust them to be showing safe as well as tasty
> methods.
>
> It would still be commercially viable.
>
> Deb

I've seen more than one TV chef showing unsafe food preserving methods.
Alton Brown on "Good Eats" is the only one who does it right.

A few years back a canning/preserving show was pitched to FoodTV and
they thought there would be no demand for it.

George

George Shirley

Deb wrote:

>>>Ought to send this to Emeril. I caught part of his show yesterday. He

> was
>
>>>making a hot (peppered hot) oil and suggested storing it in an old wine
>>>bottle in the fridge. Then he proceeded to use all he made in the

> seafood
>
>>>dish he was making.
>>>
>>>Deb

>>And I once saw a show done by the guy that's now chef on "Epicurious"
>>where he used some pretty deadly canning techniques. I wrote a letter to
>>FoodTV complaining about him and got no response at all.
>>
>>George
>>

> These people who get paid to show their stuff on TV have an obligation to do
> it safely. A lot of people trust them to be showing safe as well as tasty
> methods.
>
> It would still be commercially viable.
>
> Deb

I've seen more than one TV chef showing unsafe food preserving methods.
Alton Brown on "Good Eats" is the only one who does it right.

A few years back a canning/preserving show was pitched to FoodTV and
they thought there would be no demand for it.

George

cycjec

zxcvbob > wrote:
> ruzicka wrote:
>
>> website where we might be able to find interesting recipes for different
>> kinds of pesto?

> It freezes very well, but that's pretty much the only option that works
> for preserving it.

from a caterer on news:rec.food.cooking I learned to freeze herbs
in vinegar or sherry in small cubes e.g. ice cube trays...